Updates to RTV

Can anyone tell me what you actually get for £5 a month? Are all the games live in the UK or do you need one of those VPN things?

My only concern with all of this is my understanding that with iOS or Android apps it is much easier to enforce blackouts using devices inbuilt location services . I hope we are not about to shoot ourselves in the foot commercially.

Can anyone tell me what you actually get for £5 a month? Are all the games live in the UK or do you need one of those VPN things?

It’s all on the RangersTV ‘Subscriptions’ page mate.

You need the Unlimited package (£17.25 per month) plus a VPN (which lets you pretend you are overseas) to get live matches. There are free ways to get a VPN but they can be unreliable and risky in terms of security. Plenty use them though. A paid for VPN - if you take out a two or three year subscription - will cost around £3 per month (all paid upfront).

I'm not sure how exactly to go about getting a VPN or how to use it. Any help would be appeciated
A vpn is sending your data through another computer to pretend you’re somewhere else. You get free ones but they can be slow and a potential risk to security.

You could get ExpressVPN subscription for ease. Costs about a fiver a month but it’s safe and secure and very easy to use.

You download the ExpressVPN app on phone, tablet or computer, open it and choose a location, then go to the website to watch the game. Works for USA Netflix too which has much more content. Simple

A vpn is sending your data through another computer to pretend you’re somewhere else. You get free ones but they can be slow and a potential risk to security.

You could get ExpressVPN subscription for ease. Costs about a fiver a month but it’s safe and secure and very easy to use.

You download the ExpressVPN app on phone, tablet or computer, open it and choose a location, then go to the website to watch the game. Works for USA Netflix too which has much more content. Simple

Thanks mate

Does the VPN affect your broadband speed?

It’s all on the RangersTV ‘Subscriptions’ page mate.

You need the Unlimited package (£17.25 per month) plus a VPN (which lets you pretend you are overseas) to get live matches. There are free ways to get a VPN but they can be unreliable and risky in terms of security. Plenty use them though. A paid for VPN - if you take out a two or three year subscription - will cost around £3 per month (all paid upfront).

Cheers mate

You’re adding in a stop on the journey between you and the stream so aye it will be slower. That’s a big problem on most of the free VPN’s out there because they are overloaded.

If you pay for a vpn and have a decent connection you’ll not notice it. If anything is going wrong it’s probably due to rangers tv being shit

You only need to have the VPN on whilst streaming the match. Generally speaking, the better the quality of your VPN the less impact it will have on your speeds and, hence, the quality of your stream. You will see plenty on here moaning about their stream buffering. I’m of the view this is generally down to poor quality VPNs. Others disagree.

Dont go paying for a vpn subscription until the dust settles. Guess we'll know in the next week if they are switching on geo location.

Dont go paying for a vpn subscription until the dust settles. Guess we'll know in the next week if they are switching on geo location.

Why would they? Surely the only way RangersTV will implement geo-blocking will be if they are ‘forced’ to by the authorities? They won’t voluntarily seek to lose the Club significant sums of money.

Reactions: BWO
Why would they? Surely the only way RangersTV will implement geo-blocking will be if they are ‘forced’ to by the authorities? They won’t voluntarily seek to lose the Club significant sums of money.
Challenge is that RTV outsource for content conversion, uploading to CDNs, and its provision via streaming.

However, the content provider are bound by the same regulations and will be seen as an illegal stream provider if they do not have some level of geo-blocking of UK IP addresses, leaving them open to legal action.

Ultimately, the tool the service provider are using for geo-blocking will be the deciding factor to see if it also picks out well known VPN ip ranges, something RTV will have no control over.

Last edited:
Challenge is that RTV outsource for content conversion, uploading to CDNs, and its provision via streaming.

However, the content provider are bound by the same regulations and will be seen as an illegal stream provider if they do not have some level of geo-blocking of UK IP addresses, leaving them open to legal action.

Ultimately, the tool the service provider are using for geo-blocking will be the deciding factor to see if it also picks out well known VPN ip ranges, something RTV will have no control over.

You are absolutely correct, which is why I said RangersTV will do nothing to hamper their cash-cow. You won’t even get them to acknowledge that folks watch it in the UK by using a VPN.

My response was to a poster who appeared to be suggesting that they would seek to implement a block on the use of VPNs. The likes of Netflix try to do this, with fairly limited success in all honesty, but there’s no way that RangersTV will, knowingly, do likewise. Even if the service-provider (rather than RangersTV) does so, as you suggest is a possibility, the better VPN providers will generally provide enough of a choice of servers that you will always be able to find one that isn’t blocked.

You would hope that RangersTV discussions with their providers would include some ‘off the record’ mention of this and what the implications could be.

nope it will carry on as normal is the way i read it. So they might be changing providers but will still use the details you provided.

You will be able to switch method of payment now though to paypal etc.

Exactly how I see it. Your debit instruction will be transferred away from WorldPay to the new ‘collector’ and will continue as before. The website content provider will also change and there will be scope to amend card details via the RangersTV website - hence the change of password and login to ensure security of this info.

If you let friends and family use your RangersTV account to watch the game it might be worth considering if you should continue to do so because, after the change, they could well have access to your card details IF you give them your new login details. An important consideration I would have thought.

It'll be on live, but due to Scottish Cup broadcasting restrictions, it won't be available On Demand until every game has been played and the highlights have been shown, which will be Sunday night.

For the UK - it will be available outside the UK

That could well have a knock on effect on next years subscription take up. Personally I'd pay twice the current annual sub to ensure a proper stream. Though my downloads speeds aren't great I can watch the 'on demand' stuff with no probs whatsoever, its the live games via Nord or TB that have me pulling my feckin hair out. No issues last season.

For the UK - it will be available outside the UK
Wife is dragging me along to a fuckin pub quiz night when the game is on. Arranged before I realised game was Friday ....Doh !! Interesting to see how well the vpn works after 12 midnight, if as you reckon its accessible then.

Wife is dragging me along to a fuckin pub quiz night when the game is on. Arranged before I realised game was Friday ....Doh !! Interesting to see how well the vpn works after 12 midnight, if as you reckon its accessible then.

Im the same i'll be watching it at around 10pm from "overseas"

I say again, why trumpet that the day your sub is collected will stay the same and not that the cost is (also) the same?
I, too, have had no email about this from RTV.
Anyway, it's all conjecture.

I think you're maybe reading too much in to it.

Possibly, the comment is just to make people aware that the service is changing and due to that they'll have to cancel current subs and port them to the new system.

I'm pretty certain if there was any uplift costs due to the changes, they'd have had to have been mentioned.

Might be the case as they continue the upgrades there are different tiers added to subscription levels.

I hope the club make a big deal about the launch of this and try to get lots of new subscribers.

See for the full package, all games, is the annual fee pro-rated over the season?

If I sign up next week, I won’t pay $300, will I?

See for the full package, all games, is the annual fee pro-rated over the season?

I don't think it finished at seasons end. You take out a year subscription. If you did it now, you will pay the $300 but it'll run for you until this time next year.

I can see how that is causing issues with them creating a new site. It means that everyone's sub ends at different points and they can't have a clean break.

It's for that reason that I don't think it's possible for them to increase prices right now like @Commentator was highlighting

I really hope it does improve things with regards to quality of the streaming. Sometimes we get a good stream and others it's pretty poor. For a club like ours it should be pretty exceptional at all times. A lot of our Rangers TV content is quite good so there needs to be a big improvement on the match day service as well.

Having the use of an app would be great as well instead of having to access via a website all the time. Although, they aren't expected until the end of the month.

Wonder if they're going to have the new site up and running for Friday though.

£17.25 a month

Hoping the android app will be able to run on a fire stick. Or a dedicated amazon app would be even better.

I say again, why trumpet that the day your sub is collected will stay the same and not that the cost is (also) the same?
I, too, have had no email about this from RTV.
Anyway, it's all conjecture.

"but don't worry, your regular payments will continue on the usual date each month."

Why do you think that "regular payments" means something other than the same payment? I'm sure when it is time to increase the monthly/annual subs, they will let the subscribers know.

"but don't worry, your regular payments will continue on the usual date each month."

Why do you think that "regular payments" means something other than the same payment? I'm sure when it is time to increase the monthly/annual subs, they will let the subscribers know.

If you've read that I think it could mean something other than the same payment then you've also read my reason for it.

Looks like the new update is live going by the way it looks when you go to the homepage.

However, it doesn't recognise my email address when logging in. Even though I double checked it yesterday to make sure that they had the correct email for me.

Looks as though tonight's game is on but hard to see how to purchase (I think).

It said on the email update that log on details would be changing but we would be advised ahead of when this was to happen

I couldn't log in yesterday so i reset my password and i have been able to login since doing that, i am not sure if thats the step Rangers are going to ask everyone to take but if so it would have been good to mention this by now.

I just tried to login but said I wasn’t recognised even though I’ve subscribed for years.

Looks like you need to resubscribe. Looks like the price has gone from £17 to £24 per month!

No option to subscribe to the most expensive package either, which includes the live games. Can anyone with a VPN confirm if you need to switch on your VPN before subscribing now?

SDs93Or.png

No option to subscribe to the most expensive package either, which includes the live games. Can anyone with a VPN confirm if you need to switch on your VPN before subscribing now?

SDs93Or.png
I just turned my VPN on and it gives you the annual option to include live games.

Just had to re-register (I didn't have sub, but had access to the basic account for some reason, guess that's been found and stopped - not that I used it, I only noticed it the other day I could watch the friendly from the other day)

Guess you need VPN on to purchase the games now.

I just turned my VPN on and it gives you the annual option to include live games.
Thanks for checking! :) Can you see what the price is for the subscriptions? Excluding live games, the prices are:

Monthly (Standard) Price is £6
Annual (Standard) Price £60

Looks like the new update is live going by the way it looks when you go to the homepage.

However, it doesn't recognise my email address when logging in. Even though I double checked it yesterday to make sure that they had the correct email for me.

Looks as though tonight's game is on but hard to see how to purchase (I think).

Weren't we all required to change our passwords?

Back