Us and them player sales

ThomasMRFC

Something that has always annoyed me about them is they always seem to get much higher values for there players compared to us especially now. Rogic apparently worth 8-10 mil he’s always injured, ntcham hardly played yet apparently worth 15 mil, and now a 25 mil bid according to sky sports for a left back who seems permanently injured. Compare to moreles for example where we can’t even seem to get a bid over 10 mil for despite him being better than the 3 players above. What is it they do to convince clubs to pay the fees they want. And yes it’s important to rangers cos it’s extra money they have that we don’t cos our players never seem to be worth as much. How do we change this.

Something that has always annoyed me about them is they always seem to get much higher values for there players compared to us especially now. Rogic apparently worth 8-10 mil he’s always injured, ntcham hardly played yet apparently worth 15 mil, and now a 25 mil bid according to sky sports for a left back who seems permanently injured. Compare to moreles for example where we can’t even seem to get a bid over 10 mil for despite him being better than the 3 players above. What is it they do to convince clubs to pay the fees they want. And yes it’s important to rangers cos it’s extra money they have that we don’t cos our players never seem to be worth as much. How do we change this.

The ugly truth is this - win three trebles on the trot

We get fucked over because clubs still think we're the same as we were three seasons ago. This is why that mob can say that they've won all the cups the last three seasons and it seems to be working. The sooner we trim the squad better, I want the league to start already. Natural order being restored soon.

Takes time to change perception. Until very recently we were very evidently a shambles of a club and anyone knew they could bid a pittance and take our players. We also went from manager to manager with no clear plan, so players probably weren’t overly fussed about staying.

Gerrard, backed by King, has reversed that. Don’t worry that nobody has bid £10m + for Morelos, be thankful it’s not 3 years ago when we would have punted him for £1.5m to the first team that bid.

All the transfer money they can con out of gullible clubs will not prepare or save them from the inevitable timplosion that is coming , which will be utterly glorious to sit back and observe. ;)

Our finances are well known and have been for some time. You will get us to the table for a lot less money than the perceived “cash rich” poets.

Tierney has played 135 matches in three years. That is not "permanently injured" He does have a chronic hip problem that could pose trouble down the line mind

Another thing that helps them with tierney is clubs know he wouldn’t be bothered whether he left or not. He’s happy at Celtic. That helps celtics position . Compare to moreles where clubs know he’s desperate to leave and that sadly makes us weaker when it comes to him

They've won 8iar. They've won the last 9 trophies. They've got players with CL experience (although not great) and full of internationals.

Until last season, we couldn't even finish 2nd. Like it or not and tin hat firmly placed, they're seen as the one team in Scotland with any quality

They also play the compliant mhedia a lot better than we do.

Things will change, of that there is no doubt

Did Lennon not mention his injury yesterday? Let's see how he gets on with a medical

Edit ; just seen that its Shanley and Gollum that have articles about it and I'm now thinking Hollicom

There is monumental gulf between ‘bids’ of £100m for one of their players and a sale happening.

It's simple, 55 this year is going to fúcking kill these rabid mentally challengeds. Our players stock will be through the roof after that.

Hope this is nonsense.

He was plagued with injury last season so wont be a huge miss to them. I'd rather he stayed than they got £25m.

It will actually be a bad thing for them to come out and start foaming at the mouth about Tierney’s fee as anytime they try and buy a player now the selling club will jack up the price.

Also that’s 4 international defenders they’ve lost with over 100 caps between this summer and the best MF they have (Ntcham) is away soon as well.

They are starting to break up a team that’s been successful for them over several years and it won’t be easy for Keith Lemmon to replace the core of that team no matter how much scraps he gets from Lawwells table.

We are where we are,but I’m sorry, when the medical team at Arsenal ( if true) take a look at his med history, alarm bells will be ringing, how much football has he played in the last year? This stinks of a pr job, we sign a player, get headlines in the news, they respond with this. Lot of bollox

It will actually be a bad thing for them to come out and start foaming at the mouth about Tierney’s fee as anytime they try and buy a player now the selling club will jack up the price.

Also that’s 4 international defenders they’ve lost with over 100 caps between this summer and the best MF they have (Ntcham) is away soon as well.

They are starting to break up a team that’s been successful for them over several years and it won’t be easy for Keith Lemmon to replace the core of that team no matter how much scraps he gets from Lawwells table.

Who have they lost?
I'm assuming Lustig, Boyata but I'm stuck after that?

Who have they lost?
I'm assuming Lustig, Boyata but I'm stuck after that?
According to transfer market

Scott Allen
Christian Gamboa
Marvin Compper
Dedryck Boyata
Mikael Lustig

All free transfers

Also
Emilio Izaguirre
Youssouf Mulumbu

No club

Dorys De Vries - retired

Oliver Burke
Filip Benkovic
Jeremy Tolgan

Loans ended

Play more matches in Europe.

Have our key players perform consistently in the big matches.

Win trophies.

If we can do that, players such as Morelos and Tavernier will easily be touted for around £20m. The likes of Kamara, Aribo and Katic could also see their values rise dramatically.

If we win the league over them, our starting XI automatically becomes equally or more valuable IMO. So their ludicrous prices could actually help us get better money for our players if we manage to do it.

According to transfer market

Scott Allen
Christian Gamboa
Marvin Compper
Dedryck Boyata
Mikael Lustig

All free transfers

Also
Emilio Izaguirre
Youssouf Mulumbu

No club

Dorys De Vries - retired

Oliver Burke
Filip Benkovic
Jeremy Tolgan

Loans ended

That is some right terrible transfer business they have done over the years but yet saint brenda could do no wrong some amount of money wasted

Genuinely amazed why they don't get more grief over the Scott Allan transfer.

You can blame the player all you want, but it was said at the time they signed him just to try and get at us. Meanwhile, this player lost 3 years of his career because of their hatred.

Yeah he's a rhat. But there's a lot of blame to go around there

Mo really did f*ck them up :D

On one level I can see why people think there is a big disparity in the approach to player sales as between us and them. After all, they have sold Wanyama, Forster, Armstrong and Dembele for big money and now look to be selling Tierney for big money (it may be £15m or whatever up front rather than £25m but to get that sort of money for someone who managed just 21 league appearances last season, mostly in the first half of the season, is remarkable; he has however still to pass a medical - that might be interesting).

But let's be honest, who of note have we sold in recent years? What "big players" have we sold? Windass for £2.5m? That in fact looks like decent business; but, if we are honest, he is hardly a properly big player. Maybe I have missed others but I can't honestly recall us selling a quality player in the last 7 or 8 years. So it isn't the case that we have been selling quality players for £X and they have been selling similar quality players for £2X.

Which gets us to the present and, notably, Morelos and Tav. Weirdly, it seems to me that there is a majority(ish) view on here that we won't get £20m for Morelos and that £12-15m might be fair value for him. And for Tav it seems to me that the same majority(ish) view is that Tav might be an £8-10m player.

But are those values really right? We reportedly turned down £8-10m for Morelos in December 18 / January 19. Back in October Gerrard said of Tav in response to speculation about Brighton bidding: "All my players are for sale. Let’s get it out in the open. Every single one of my players is for sale. They have all got a price. But they are not the old prices. It’s the new prices. So if you want them then come with loads of money and you can have them.” Then last week on Morelos he said of Morelos: “It won’t happen late. A million per cent, it won’t happen late, that’s for sure. So if someone wants to spend a lot of money on a centre forward and they want to take my centre forward, they’d have to come early."

Stewart Robertson said something a few months ago to the effect that we would expect similar money for Morelos to what they got for Dembele.

So where do the £12-15m (Morelos) and the £8-10m (Tav) "valuations" come from? The newspapers? FF hunches? I don't know but there is no evidence to suggest that those are proper valuations. We have no recent history of selling a Morelos / Tav type player at all, whether on the cheap or otherwise. To me at least the "market" doesn't appear to support those sorts of low valuations (I'd take Tav long before I would take Tierney, although it is fair to note (a) that Tierney is 22 whereas Tav is 27 but (b) Tav is fit as a fiddle whereas Tierney is, err, not); I would also take Morelos before Dumbele, but each to their own) . Our manager and Managing Director seem to suggest that nobody is going other than for top dollar. We don't need to sell - Dave King has been clear that we are still in investment mode; record season ticket sales again; bonus of UEFA Cup money last season; we are effectively debt free following the recent General Meeting which authorised the conversion of the soft loans into shares; there is clear value in the squad which can be realised if we ever need to.

And I am not buying the arguments that the mhedia constantly fluffing up valuations for Celtic and / or that winning 8IAR materially impacts what Celtic get for their players. I'm sure it doesn't do any harm but are Arsenal really paying the money for Tierney because the Record / Sun / Sutton etc etc quote him as £25m player? And do Arsenal really look at 8IAR and give so much as a toss about it?

On Morelos, there is also a good argument to be made that selling him now is at least a season too early. Would it not be better to sell him once he has another (hopefully 30 goal) season under his belt and hopefully cleans up his disciplinary act (surely the penny has now dropped for him?)?

I might be completely wrong about this but I just don't see that any of our top players are going to leave for anything other than top money and on prices which compare sensibly with the prices Celtic have received for their players. The narrative seems to be that they sell for top money whilst we sell for buttons. Yet until now we haven't in the last 7 or 8 years had a quality player to sell. So we will see whether we sell a Morelos for what I would consider to be a very modest £12m. I just don't see that happening.

Celtic have won everything the last few years and their players have been tested at a much higher level. If their players are as overrated as people say on here, then it’s no wonder nobody is buying our lads too . There’s no media influence, it’s not like Unai Emery reads the Daily Record and decides to pay 10m more. If we win league next couple of years and get into champions league then we can command more money and I think the likes of Aribo, Katic etc could command huge fees

We haven’t been in the position to attract players with a high sell on value. That’s changing, partly due to the Gerrard effect, and if we can win the title this year it will be a huge story. Make it to the CL in future and It’s bigger again. We’ve been starved of a wider audience for too long. It all plays it’s part. We need to start winning silverware and the rest will follow.

There is monumental gulf between ‘bids’ of £100m for one of their players and a sale happening.
Exactly, I would be gobsmacked if Arsenal bid £25m for a Scottish full back, I honestly can’t see it happening, and the filth and there media friends can say what they think Nitcham and Rogic are worth, they have received zero offers.

One thing they trot out is champions league experience, but we'll get that next season. That said, most of that experience is getting absolutely humped so not sure why that makes them any better!

Its probably my biggest gripe with the club in all honesty, regardless of boardroom or manager, we are gutless in the transfer market. It only seems to be changing since Stevie G has arrived. The fact that our biggest ever outgoing transfer has been beaten by hearts tells you everything on our player valuation principles.

Ssn reporting the unwashed haved knocked back £25m for wonderbhoy. Decent player in scotland but these fees are going a bit ott now

There player really?

There - over there
Their - belonging to them.
They're - they are

It's not hard. Learn it in primary 4

Last edited:
Sky Sports saying the scum have rejected £25 million for Tierney. Surely they didn’t? Crazy money
IF, and it’s a big massive IF this were true it’s because they know he wouldn’t pass a medical and they don’t want the news of him failing one to impact on his long term value

Maybe the simple truth is that as fans we vastly overrate and therefore over-value our own players. We then explain the low fees we receive compared to their "big" fees by claiming the Scottish press influence managers, scouts and football directors the world over into paying too much for sellik players.

I don't follow their every transfer but I reckon Souhampton would regard Van Dyck as good value for money as would whoever bought Wanyama before he moved to Spurs. Forster the goalie did all right down there for a while. Just had a look at their biggest sales and McGeady was a big fee to Russia, I have no idea if he was a success or not. Dunno if Dembele has played much for his French team this season and we are then back at Petrov who I think did all right at Villa. The only other sale of significance in recent years is Armstrong who seems to feature regularly for Southampton.

So for whom did they get an inflated fee? Dembele? How did he do this season and what will he sell for in a season or three?

Thought Arsenal had a limited budget and were looking to get Zaha on the cheap, that's crazy money to knock back

Back