US World Cup Coverage

Nick Angel

Just read this article in the Guardian eviscerating the Fox TV coverage. Almost makes me thankful we just have to deal with the like of Hartson, Dublin and Jenas. Almost.

Left wing woke newspaper slaughters right wing media giant. Shocker. Whether you like the coverage or not, at least Fox have a team of contributors that are all local Hall of Fame Players, and have played in the World Cup, as opposed to Micah Richards, Dion Dublin, Jermaine Jenas and John Hartson! The local fans, especially the occasional fans they are trying to attract, can relate to that.

By the way, the comment on College Football is crass and shows the Guardians own lack of understanding. When football all over the country is attracting the same crowds as College Football does, bigger than Rangers for most teams for reference, we can scoff about re-arranging schedules!

Left wing woke newspaper slaughters right wing media giant. Shocker. Whether you like the coverage or not, at least Fox have a team of contributors that are all local Hall of Fame Players, and have played in the World Cup, as opposed to Micah Richards, Dion Dublin, Jermaine Jenas and John Hartson! The local fans, especially the occasional fans they are trying to attract, can relate to that.

By the way, the comment on College Football is crass and shows the Guardians own lack of understanding. When football all over the country is attracting the same crowds as College Football does, bigger than Rangers for most teams for reference, we can scoff about re-arranging schedules!
Chad Ochocinco ?

I’ve only been watching the Spanish language coverage on Telemundo & Peacock.

Previous experience with American coverage made that decision.

If I recall correctly, though, @dcbear has been enjoying it…

When I was over in States on holiday during 06 WC they had a really annoying old Irish man that annoyingly used onion bag for goals all time. In the old onion bag. It annoyed me probably more than it should.

Apart from 5 years back in Scotland in the 90's I've lived in Canada or the US since 1980 and compared to what the coverage used to be, what we get now is fantastic, gaffes or not. The leftie Guardian can gtf as far as I'm concerned.

If I recall correctly, though, @dcbear has been enjoying it…

Guardian is spot on, the FOX coverage has been dire. We were spoiled by ESPN when they had it, they covered it like you'd expect a professional sports network to.

The games themselves arent too bad, the commentary isnt bad, but the talking heads in the studio are useless. Alexi Lalas is an idiot who just blusters and shouts a lot, Clint Dempsey is ok but doesnt say much, and then there's a selection of English woman players who were too useless for UK tv. There's no variety either, Alexi Lalas and Clint Dempsey have been workinf full days.

I do like Landon Donovan and Aly Wagner though.

And Kate Abdo isnt on FOX. Edit - apparently she's on the late night thing, I havent been watching that. She's normally on CBS's football, Champions League etc.

Last edited:
It must be destroying the US TV networks that they are not allowed to stop the game every 5 mins and insert some food/truck commercials.

It must be destroying the US TV networks that they are not allowed to stop the game every 5 mins and insert some food/truck commercials.
I don't know about the WC, but usually they have a sponsor appear as part of the scoreboard on the screen every so often.

Guardian is spot on, the FOX coverage has been dire. We were spoiled by ESPN when they had it, they covered it like you'd expect a professional sports network to.

The games themselves arent too bad, the commentary isnt bad, but the talking heads in the studio are useless. Alexi Lalas is an idiot who just blusters and shouts a lot, Clint Dempsey is ok but doesnt say much, and then there's a selection of English woman players who were too useless for UK tv. There's no variety either, Alexi Lalas and Clint Dempsey have been workinf full days.

I do like Landon Donovan and Aly Wagner though.

And Kate Abdo isnt on FOX. Edit - apparently she's on the late night thing, I havent been watching that. She's normally on CBS's football, Champions League etc.
I have seen a little bit of build up on Fox. Lalas appears to be the hired clown, similar to Sutton.

He was a bitter old knob too, every now and then he'd let the mask slip and say something about the Queen or "the Brits". Happily he's long gone from US tv coverage.
I remember him doing a European tie at the piggery, he referred to the maggots as 'us'.
*** !

The Guardian, champion of the sneering classes who think everything wrong with society is to be blamed on scum like me and you who have a cheek to go to football games.

Absolute zero interest in anything ever written in the guardian.A cnuty cnut of a newspaper . Probably the most cnuty ever published in newspaper print history. Just my opinion.

I’ve lived in USA since 2004. I don’t watch much ‘soccer’ coverage from US TV, but the Fox World Cup coverage has been fine, I have no issues with it and I feel like more people I know have more interest in this tournament than in previous years, so the sport is becoming more mainstream/popular. The content will be geared to the US audience so many viewers may be relatively new to the sport.

During our European group stage games I watch on CBS Paramount Plus and they have Jamie Carragher and a few other ex-Premier League players on there- they have a good laugh and I quite enjoy those shows too. It’s a welcome change from the usual RTV commentary!

I think Fox are doing ok. Having said that I live here so don't have much choice.
Americans (especially in the South) enjoying College Football who would have thought!!

Heard a rumor that some die hard Englander fans can sometimes enjoy a game of cricket.

Like most media publications lefties or rightist they have some wankers churning out crap.
This may be an example of that.
ESPN did at some point years ago put out some decent content. They stopped being a sporting channel a while ago now. Which is a shame.

Correct I am enjoying Fox coverage it’s really good and different.

Ahhh I miss the days when everything wasn't left wing v right wing.

I don’t mind the Paramount coverage of CL and ESPN did a good job at Euro 2020. But the article is accurate; Fox have been awful.

I used my - ahem - other log in to watch the BBC/ITV coverage and I’ve been shocked by how poor some of the games are. For every Linekar, Neville, Chapman and Super, you’ve got Dublin, Hartson, Dixon and Wright.

It’s not just a US struggle.

Was over in America on holiday last week and had the Fox coverage on the TV in the hotel - I really did think it was atrocious. Alexei Lalas is maybe the worst pundit i've ever seen, including Hartson etc.

Been watching Fox coverage. Alexis Lalas is a complete and total FCUKn knob of a man, can’t stand him. Screaming at the camera “We live in the greatest country in the woooorrrrrllllld!!!!! Pls FO right now, ya bawbag.
I’m guessing the act plays well to the Fox viewership

I have the option of UK and US coverage and have more often gone with the US coverage. For the most part, I don't really pay much attention to what the talking heads tell me during a game. I can see for myself. I don't really watch half-time/full-time programs, since they are generally pointless rehashes of what I've just watched.

On Fox, they do have some diddies, but on BBC/ITV they do also. I will say, at halftime of most games, on Fox they usually talk about that game. On BBC/ITV, they talk about England.

I'm watching on FS1. High quality feed for the matches is pretty good. No adverts or split screen (that I've noticed), comms are okay and I don't really watch the talking heads before or after.

Just read this article in the Guardian eviscerating the Fox TV coverage. Almost makes me thankful we just have to deal with the like of Hartson, Dublin and Jenas. Almost.

The article is as turgid as its description of the FS1 coverage.

I’ve been mostly watching on Fox and other than that big ginger twat Lalas talking shite for hours, its been OK. Derek Rae can get annoying too right enough.

Caught a couple of UK games with Ally on comms and by fukk his constant “it really was / I have to say” gets old quickly.

Lalas hasn't been quite as much of a knob end as at previous WCs, but that's not saying much. In general, the "studio" coverage has been vacuous and a bit awkward (Clint Dempsey's insistence on half-time fist-pumps in particular), but it's mainly just highlights and commercials really. On commentary, I wish Ian Darke would cease with the "... but you would know all about that, Landon" every 5 minutes.

People like Lalas and Taylor Twellman make it impossible to watch for me. But there are an equal amount of gaffes on the UK coverage. Jenas today talking about Minamino having a great career in Germany despite having never played there.
Ferdinand says Lozano was great at Ajax before moving the Napoli, the second a graphic shows on the screen about his transfer from PSV to Napoli.
Eni Aluko today saying Richarlison has 19 in 40 games “you do the math, thats a goal a game…pretty much”.

Been watching Fox coverage. Alexis Lalas is a complete and total FCUKn knob of a man, can’t stand him. Screaming at the camera “We live in the greatest country in the woooorrrrrllllld!!!!! Pls FO right now, ya bawbag.
I’m guessing the act plays well to the Fox viewership
Fox Sports and Fox News are effectively separate operations. I think the idiocy is all Lalas' own work. He was at least as bad back in ESPN/ABC days.

I’ve been mostly watching on Fox and other than that big ginger twat Lalas talking shite for hours, its been OK. Derek Rae can get annoying too right enough.

Caught a couple of UK games with Ally on comms and by fukk his constant “it really was / I have to say” gets old quickly.
Rae’s insistence on pronouncing names with his German accent is incredibly annoying.

I think it was Donovan and Darke doing the Brazil game today and Donovan was giving it “the South Koreans need to get in and change things tactically for the second half” Ian Darke says “like what? come out with 12 players?”

Pretty funny I thought.

Tommy Smyth's pater was cronic...

PK's, Headshots, Onion Bag
Him and Derek Rae did Scottish and European football for years. He in particular was torture.

ESPN used to have two American guys who were chronic too. One was John Paul Dellacamera, I can't remember his side kick. They used to do Champions League games and international matches.

Back