USA, USA, USA, USA

Well deserved lead

And some fantastic shithousery from our frozen neighbour's to the North

Hope the residents of Durham aren't too upset @DurhamBear

USA,USA,USA,USA!!

Think I'm with @DurhamBear on this one.
One of my kids is born here, American, and I've been here 20+ years, but I like to see them losing at anything. Pretty unbearable when winning (e.g. the Ryder Cup) and claiming to be World Champs of sports that no other cant is interested in playing :))
That said, I don't mind their soccer team, probably their least arrogant team, and I hope they make the WC. It's shit here when they don't!

Beautiful goal from Dest.
The guy born in The Netherlands to a Dutch mother and Surinamese-American father who first stepped foot in the USA in 2014!!

Good performance for Canada so far. Few good players coming through. A lot of good work being done behind the scenes apparently

Subbed, think he was just knackered, cannot see him being involved Saturday, won't get back until some time Friday.

Roofe isn’t robust enough for him to be adding in international football.

I know it’s easy for us to say, but we could really have done without him getting involved.

Just left BMO, what a game.
Alphonso Davies goal was a great goal. He is a special player.

An absolute disaster getting in because of Covid passport, people still not in at half time. Game had kicked off and the delay was backed up to train station...Supporter was lifted over the fence, he opened the emergency gate , big rush of people running in. Madness ensued.

An absolute disaster getting in because of Covid passport, people still not in at half time. Game had kicked off and the delay was backed up to train station...Supporter was lifted over the fence, he opened the emergency gate , big rush of people running in. Madness ensued.
They mentioned the crowd not getting in on the TV. Some atmosphere when it filled up though, glad you enjoyed it. My son wants us to head up to Edmonton for the Canada/Mexico game next month. Not sure what the atmosphere or crowd will be like in that big 50k open bowl on whats likely to be a freezing November night in Alberta…… hopefully the Mexicans won’t like it

One of my kids is born here, American, and I've been here 20+ years, but I like to see them losing at anything. Pretty unbearable when winning (e.g. the Ryder Cup) and claiming to be World Champs of sports that no other cant is interested in playing :))
That said, I don't mind their soccer team, probably their least arrogant team, and I hope they make the WC. It's shit here when they don't!
Yeah, I don’t see how MLB can have their World Series when there’s only teams from two countries in the league. And then the USA baseball team generally get humped when they play in an international tournament, albeit a lot of their best players can’t be bothered to turn up.

So you’re literally not with Durhambear. He wants US to lose at everything, you want the US soccer team to win, the thread is about the US soccer team.

Roofe isn’t robust enough for him to be adding in international football.

I know it’s easy for us to say, but we could really have done without him getting involved.

I suppose if Jamaica qualified for a WC, it would be well worth it for him, but we don't need him traveling half way round the planet to get kicked all over CONCACAF, where he'll be on the end of some brutal challenges.
Any team can qualify from that region, as it's set up to guarantee the Yanks qualify, with Mexico and Canada likely joining them in Qatar.
Jamaica have been shit, but they're only 3 points off the 4th placed play off.

They mentioned the crowd not getting in on the TV. Some atmosphere when it filled up though, glad you enjoyed it. My son wants us to head up to Edmonton for the Canada/Mexico game next month. Not sure what the atmosphere or crowd will be like in that big 50k open bowl on whats likely to be a freezing November night in Alberta…… hopefully the Mexicans won’t like it
Yeah mate no doubt it will be freezing at Commonwealth. Definitely take him along to the game if you can though. The country will be all in now after tonight. Best atmosphere i've experienced at a game over here probably. TFC 2017 Cup run comes close but tonight felt different. This is an exciting team to watch live.

So you’re literally not with Durhambear. He wants US to lose at everything, you want the US soccer team to win, the thread is about the US soccer team.

I don't mind the US soccer team, guys like Clint Dempsey and our boys, Reyna, Edu, Bocanegra, all great guys and decent players, but I'll have a laugh when Panama or some other minnow turns the US over. I want them to qualify, otherwise we get shit WC coverage over here, so partly selfish reasons :)
I am looking forward to them hosting the WC, should be excellent.

That sounds a bit mental, were people being turned away?
Great to see Canada doing well, I wonder if Scotty might return if they qualify and he's fit?
Think the plan is to freeze the Mexicans half to death when you take them up north next month :)

I don't mind the US soccer team, guys like Clint Dempsey and our boys, Reyna, Edu, Bocanegra, all great guys and decent players, but I'll have a laugh when Panama or some other minnow turns the US over. I want them to qualify, otherwise we get shit WC coverage over here, so partly selfish reasons :)

<cough cough> Ahem, co-hosting.

:p:p:p

That sounds a bit mental, were people being turned away?
Great to see Canada doing well, I wonder if Scotty might return if they qualify and he's fit?
Think the plan is to freeze the Mexicans half to death when you take them up north next month :)
Yeah people were being turned away . I was at the Blue Jays game a few weeks ago and seen a guy being denied entry also. Ontario is quite strict with this vaccination passport.

Here's hoping we catch them cold next month!

Yeah, I don’t see how MLB can have their World Series when there’s only teams from two countries in the league. And then the USA baseball team generally get humped when they play in an international tournament, albeit a lot of their best players can’t be bothered to turn up.
It’s called “The World Series” because a newspaper called “The World” used to sponsor it. Nothing to do with other countries.

It’s called “The World Series” because a newspaper called “The World” used to sponsor it. Nothing to do with other countries.

Aye, but they also call themselves World champions, baseball & football.
To be fair, a lot of Americans believe that the USA is the World, no one else matters.

Yeah mate no doubt it will be freezing at Commonwealth. Definitely take him along to the game if you can though. The country will be all in now after tonight. Best atmosphere i've experienced at a game over here probably. TFC 2017 Cup run comes close but tonight felt different. This is an exciting team to watch live.
He’s 29 I’m hoping he takes his Da!!
This Canada team is certainly different than any I’ve seen, they are a young and confident team and the set up has come a long way. it’s been very difficult for “Soccer“ to establish itself in a country where it‘s seen by most men as a wimps sport. I know no one in my work tomorrow will even know Canada played tonight, The sport is looked upon differently in Vancouver and Toronto than here in Alberta where it falls behind Hockey and hunting Moose :))

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of doubt regarding that explanation. In any case, it’s not the modern day understanding of what it means.
It does have a nice ring to it, though. Much better than “MLS Cup”!

Soccer (football) needed this boost in Canada as TFC have been terrible this season.

All eyes would have been on the ice hockey last night as the Leafs played their first game - won 2-1

That's a myth.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. It was actually Johnny Vaughan on XFM last week that I heard saying about the newspaper sponsor etc, and until then I just assumed it was arrogant Americans. Turns out I should’ve stayed with my original thought.

That’s not true on coverage. Every game was on live at the last World Cup, similarly every game of the Euros this Summer.

The quality of the coverage is at times questionable (as it is in the UK) but the most important thing is getting every game.

Back