Use of the 'H' word

Beat me to it, I meant to put that up and got sidetracked with the game.

The Irish Times openly agrees with the “H*n = Protestant” fact as well, so it’s time the kiddy-on’s who think otherwise think again.

They’re either being blatantly obtuse or they are genuinely as thick as an Applepine.

Beat me to it, I meant to put that up and got sidetracked with the game.

The Irish Times openly agrees with the “H*n = Protestant” fact as well, so it’s time the kiddy-on’s who think otherwise think again.

They’re either being blatantly obtuse or they are genuinely as thick as an Applepine.
Have you got the example mate , so can forward it .

Have you got the example mate , so can forward it .
Example?

“In social media posts, Ms Ennis referred to “Huns”, a derogatory term for Protestants,

Is what the Irish Times article itself says. No obfuscation to try and claim it’s just Rangers fans.

Edit: and state the obvious, the Irish Times is a Nationalist outlook newspaper. It’s not like it’s the Belfast Newsletter - which is pretty much the only Unionist outlook paper left now. So it’s “their own” saying it.

As welcome as any condemnation of its use is, it doesn't actually make any sense. We used to call them H**s back in the 60s and 70s. If H*n = Prod, how would that work out ?

The media and NBM silence regarding the h*n term would end if we started calling the Piggery-dwellers by that name, as we did in song back in the 1970's. ? There would be uproar.

Example?

“In social media posts, Ms Ennis referred to “Huns”, a derogatory term for Protestants,

Is what the Irish Times article itself says. No obfuscation to try and claim it’s just Rangers fans.

Edit: and state the obvious, the Irish Times is a Nationalist outlook newspaper. It’s not like it’s the Belfast Newsletter - which is pretty much the only Unionist outlook paper left now. So it’s “their own” saying it.
Cheers mate .

I'm old enough to remember us singing

Go home ya huns
at them at hampden late 70,s / early 80's

Never understood how it got turned around to us
The term used against us is a reference to the German dynasties that have reined as British monarchs since the Hanoverian succession to the British throne, which was the mechanism by which William of Orange and the parliament at the time ensured the monarch would remain Protestant by passing the throne to the House of Hanover upon his death. The House of Hanover reined until Victoria’s death in 1901, when it was succeeded by another German dynasty (the current one).

Never bothers me. Growing up in the Calton in the 50s I was often referred to as “The Wee Hun”. I took it as a term of endearment and always replied “And Proud of It”!
Most of us including them used to accept it as part of a football rivalry mate but they started being offended by everything we said or sang
Although they are offended by everything they have increased their derogatory abuse of not just Rangers fans but anyone they consider to be protestant
Their glorification of murdering scum can be heard at any game home or away

OK for argument's sake what do you think them calling us huns now means ?
Its definitely derogatory and its definitely a hate term - that much is beyond argument.

As to exactly what they are referring to when they use it, I always took it to mean 'Rangers fan'. This is mainly based on the fact that we used to call them 'H**s'. It wouldn't make any sense if we were calling them 'H**s' and 'H**s' = 'Protestants'.

Did the meaning change at some point ?

Its definitely derogatory and its definitely a hate term - that much is beyond argument.

As to exactly what they are referring to when they use it, I always took it to mean 'Rangers fan'. This is mainly based on the fact that we used to call them 'H**s'. It wouldn't make any sense if we were calling them 'H**s' and 'H**s' = 'Protestants'.

I think us referring to them as Huns was to do with Irish assistance to Nazi’s during WWII? Could be wrong, I’m not old enough to have been around when we used the term. As to why it gets used against us and why it is sectarian, see my previous post.

As welcome as any condemnation of its use is, it doesn't actually make any sense. We used to call them H**s back in the 60s and 70s. If H*n = Prod, how would that work out ?
It was always a slur, used in a wide range of contexts.

By the 80s Rangers fans stopped using it and ‘h*n’ was used increasingly in a sectarian sense, as in Northern Ireland.

What is a ‘h*n school’?

Fans of small clubs began referring to Rangers fans as ‘h*ns’ only because they copied the language used in Celtic fanzines.

They call Hearts fans 'mini-H*ns' and the like. This is because they see Hearts as the Protestant team in Edinburgh.

I'm just back from the game and I'll bet my shrivelled goolies that the three "ladies" in question weren't referring to "Rangers fans" which of course is what "huns" actually means.

The term used against us is a reference to the German dynasties that have reined as British monarchs since the Hanoverian succession to the British throne, which was the mechanism by which William of Orange and the parliament at the time ensured the monarch would remain Protestant by passing the throne to the House of Hanover upon his death. The House of Hanover reined until Victoria’s death in 1901, when it was succeeded by another German dynasty (the current one).
Complete bollocks.

The Germans were called ‘H*ns’ by British newspapers before WWI due to their aggressive behaviour in China.

The word then stuck in the minds of ordinary people. It was the standard derogatory term for Germans during the Second World War.

Afterwards it gradually became a more general term of abuse. The writer Alan Spence - a Rangers fan from Kinning Park - describes a scenario where Rangers supporters refer to a barman by the word.

The meaning and use of words changes over time and most people who use ‘h*n’ will not be aware of its origins.

When Kill All Huns appears on West Belfast walls, they certainly aren’t talking about Rangers fans.
Which is precisely why it matters absolutely not one iota why they use the word. Because that word is not confined to just football. Nor is it even a word any sane Rangers fan would use in self-recognition, in the same manner the banned F word is used by them as a “badge of honour” when it selectively suits, and mortally offensive to them when it doesn’t.

So I for one would welcome recognition on a par with the F word. What’s good for them should also be good enough for me.

Aye, OK mate, but things have moved on massively since the 60s. No way those scumbags would be apologising now if they thought they could just have passed it off with reference to something that happened around 60 years ago.

Aye, OK mate, but things have moved on massively since the 60s. No way those scumbags would be apologising now if they thought they could just have passed it off with reference to something that happened around 60 years ago.

Is quite amusing the numbers on here that think its still the 70's.....

I'm old enough to remember us singing

Go home ya huns
at them at hampden late 70,s / early 80's

Never understood how it got turned around to us
Aye, I can remember us using it first too, and still don't really get how it was flipped.

Aye, I can remember us using it first too, and still don't really get how it was flipped.
They directed it against us too - at that time it was a general term of abuse. I can remember it being used to describe someone the way ‘scumbag’ would be now.

Toleration of the word by politicians, police and prosecutors when draconian punishments are meted out for terms claimed to be ’anti-Catholic’ or ‘anti-Irish’ effectively makes Rangers supporters second-class citizens.

In Northern Ireland the PUL community has organised sufficiently to ensure that anti-Protestant slurs are treated seriously by the authorities.

In Scotland we seem to be unable to make the slightest progress.

On this forum the h-word can be freely bandied about while bans result from words like ‘19th century terrorist’, etc. We are doing our enemies’ work for them!

It's been used as a slur in a NI context for years.

they refer to all teams that have a protestant history in this country, including the British forces. they call them selves 19th Century Terrorists but we get done for it, Gay once meant happy try calling someone gay now.

they were called huns after the war nothing to do with being Catholics, they made it sectarian against all things British and the crown. Queen being the Head of the church

Probably because it's not the 60s and 70s anymore. Words can be hijacked and developed into a different meaning just like H**
Same as f****n the context and venom of its use makes it a bigoted slur. The fact of the matter is some celtic fans and even politicians quite clearly enjoy hiding behind that H** by law isn't considered sectarian even though they use the word with such venom and anger they basically want their slurs to be ok and anything we say has to be microscoped. Proper 2 faced when they complained about F****n so much. Like most things in Scottish football it only takes 5 minutes of thought to pish right through the feable excuses in order to say things they KNOW cause offense. Aren't they just so progressive.

Something to do with an article written after Rangers played Wolves no?
You’re referring to an alleged article describing Rangers fans as “marauding huns”, which has been proven to never actually havd existed, except in the mind of a deranged celtic fan, when scrambling for a reason to justify that their sectarian slur is not sectarian. As usual when it comes to that type, it’s a lie and a myth.

You’re referring to an alleged article describing Rangers fans as “marauding huns”, which has been proven to never actually havd existed, except in the mind of a deranged celtic fan, when scrambling for a reason to justify that their sectarian slur is not sectarian. As usual when it comes to that type, it’s a lie and a myth.
Ffs, any argument they have by referring in a historical context is just laughable.

The F word used to be acceptable, it now isn’t (although thousands of them love the word and aren’t offended by it).

They have no argument, NBM have said it’s sectarian and as many posters have said it’s use in NI says it all. The H word is sectarian bigotry, anti Protestant racism and bigotry pure and simple, no ifs, no buts.

We didn’t start the offensive game, we’ve had to join it to defend ourselves but so many in Scotland including professional organisations think it’s ok to use the H word.

How the St Boo chairman is still involved in Scottish football is beyond me, how he only received a fine is beyond me, yet we had a young Rangers fan spend 3 or months in prison for using the F word.

Scotland is a toxic hypocritical mess and it’s caused by one religion stoking the flames of separatism but it’s a one way street, heaven help any Protestant getting parity in the courts or from MSPs etc.

I think us referring to them as Huns was to do with Irish assistance to Nazi’s during WWII? Could be wrong, I’m not old enough to have been around when we used the term. As to why it gets used against us and why it is sectarian, see my previous post.
OTSOG. That’s my take on it. Because of the Catholic/irish support for Germany during the war, we snag it at them. But unfortunately for us with the rise of right wing groups in the 80’s and our support raising a right arm to sing rule Britannia, then they quickly spun it to make us out to be something associated with Nazi Germany. The media have also played a massive part of it being acceptable in Scottish football. No condemnation of the term, unlike anyone of using the F word ( the one actually means Irish Republican sympathiser/supporter) they where all over that like a rash.

Back