Use of the word "hun" - MSP response

DarthVader

Official Ticketer
I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

I'm writing with regards the use of the word "hun" and the religious sectarian connotations.

Like a great many people, I find this term to be deeply offensive. Nil By Mouth, the anti sectarian organisation, recognise this term as sectarian and offensive, as do PSNI.

Why is this offensive term allowed to go unchallenged on Scotland? Personally I have heard it from presenters on BBC radio, it is all over social media, it is sprayed on walls (KAH = Kill All Huns), and it is chanted at football ground - all seemingly without fear of prosecution.

I'd like you to highlight this matter in parliament and ask that this term is treated in the same manner as the equally offensive term "19th Century Terrorist". There should be a zero tolerance and its use should be seen as a religiously aggravated hate crime.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart is very vocal in his campaign against anti Irish racism, and I believe this term should have an equal focus.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Thank you for your email raising your very valid concerns regarding the offensive use of these words.

I would be happy to raise this on your behalf when in an appropriate debate in parliament.

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

Thank you Siobhan, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sure such a debate will be forthcoming, especially given the disgusting sectarian and otherwise offensive language used by Daily Record journalists who are now under police investigation.

I also note that Janey Godley, the face of the NHS Scotland Covid adverts, has used this sectarian and offensive word (in addition to many other vile and abhorrent references including insults to disabled people and comparing someone else a Chernobyl burns victim) frequently over the years.

I feel this should see Ms Godley removed from our TV screens immediately because someone with such a questionable character is not fit to speak on behalf of the NHS and Scottish Government.

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on behalf of the state.

Many thanks
Darth

I'd urge each and every one of you to do your bit - email your MPs, MSPs (regardless of who they are) about the Record or any other injustice you see or hear, report crimes to police Scotland, and let's get some parity and even handedness back.

We are no longer accepting being a political football.

Enough is enough.

Last edited:
I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

I'm writing with regards the use of the word "hun" and the religious sectarian connotations.

Like a great many people, I find this term to be deeply offensive. Nil By Mouth, the anti sectarian organisation, recognise this term as sectarian and offensive, as do PSNI.

Why is this offensive term allowed to go unchallenged on Scotland? Personally I have heard it from presenters on BBC radio, it is all over social media, it is sprayed on walls (KAH = Kill All Huns), and it is chanted at football ground - all seemingly without fear of prosecution.

I'd like you to highlight this matter in parliament and ask that this term is treated in the same manner as the equally offensive term "19th Century Terrorist". There should be a zero tolerance and its use should be seen as a religiously aggravated hate crime.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart is very vocal in his campaign against anti Irish racism, and I believe this term should have an equal focus.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Thank you for your email raising your very valid concerns regarding the offensive use of these words.

I would be happy to raise this on your behalf when in an appropriate debate in parliament.

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

I'm sure such a debate will be forthcoming, especially given the disgusting sectarian and otherwise offensive language used by Daily Record journalists who are now under police investigation.

I also note that Janey Godley, the face of the NHS Scotland Covid adverts, has used this sectarian and offensive word (in addition to many other vile and abhorrent references including insults to disabled people and comparing someone else a Chernobyl burns victim) frequently over the years.

I feel this should see Ms Godley removed from our TV screens immediately because someone with such a questionable character is not fit to speak on behalf of the NHS and Scottish Government.

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on bahlf o state.

Many thanks
Darth

I'd urge each and every one of you to do your bit - email your MPs, MSPs (regardless of who they are) about the Record or any other injustice you see or hear, report crimes to police Scotland, and let's get some parity and even handedness back.

Enough is enough.
I have written to the STV Appeal complaining about Godley and highlighted her Twitter vile filth.

I also emailed Scottish Government on Saturday about her and being the face of covid health messages - no reply

Last edited:
email to Ian Murray tonight.

“Dear Ian,

I will make this brief but as my MP can you please address the issue of sectarianism in Scotland. I am sick and tired of being referred to as an Orange ‘b’, Hun ‘b’, DOB, DOBER, member of the Klan, Nazi etc etc etc. I am a Rangers fan and I simply want to walk down the street and wear my colours without being abused.

I have no religious affiliation whatsoever but I am sick of the SNP and low grade MSPs exploiting sectarian hatred and my vote is open to those who address it”

Yours etc.

I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on bahlf o state.

Many thanks
Darth

Enough is enough.
I wrote to her too as my MSP though generally on the demonisation of our club and offensive tweets of journalists

I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on behalf of the state.

Many thanks
Darth

Enough is enough.

That’s an extremely good correspondence, Darth. Calm, factual, eloquent and entirely reasonable. You’ve made it almost impossible for your MSP to disregard your first contact.

This might seem daft & self explanatory but if you use this website you can see the full list of MP/MSPs that represent you.

You’ll have 1 MP, 1 constituency MSP & 7 regional MSPs and you can contact any or all of them.

Just a pointer to any Bear in Linlithgow and Falkirk East, despite their MP being SNP at school he was a Rangers supporter, not one of the more vocal bears or even massively knowledgeable about football but definitely a bear. Probably likely to be the least Bear hostile SNP MP in Westminster.

Back