Van Bronckhorst - Time to say goodbye? All just a little bit of History repeating via an article from 2019

But for me he is a massive mistake which will cost us tens of millions of pounds

European income so far would suggest otherwise.

I'm torn on a fundamental dislike of how he sets up versus some of what he has achieved.

I am far from convinced however the future is as inevitable as many say. He has a chance to do something further with us....

He lost the league from 7 points in front

He won’t win the league this season

His football is one paced slow unentertaining

The players look dis interested

He has given us beatings 3-0 4-0 v Celtic

He has given us 4-0 and 3-0 in Europe

All of which we never had under Gerrard

Yes he has given us some great memories in Europe last season

But for me he is a massive mistake which will cost us tens of millions of pounds
Gerrard never made it past the last 16 in Europe.

Gerrard failed to get to the Champions League losing to an incredibly average team with 10 men.

Gerrard should have had us 10 points ahead with the dreadful start they had, he dropped 6 points at home and our general form was rotten. They then went on an unbelievable run and we plodded on as we had started.

The players looked dis-interested under Gerrard and the form didn’t change hugely in the league following the change in manager. The result against Celtic was terrible but that was the main outlier.

We were completely outclassed by Lyon at home and Leverkusen, then lost to a Slavia Prague team who were no better than decent.

The club also seemed to take his advice not to cash in on players who may run down their deals and therefore cost us millions.

Gerrard’s cup record was abysmal.

I say all of this as a Gerrard fan but let’s not say we were in the land of milk and honey when he left. The 55 season was amazing but there were faults in every other year, some of which are similar to now.

European income so far would suggest otherwise.

I'm torn on a fundamental dislike of how he sets up versus some of what he has achieved.

I am far from convinced however the future is as inevitable as many say. He has a chance to do something further with us....
A - The European income is a match winner. However, I believe, and have said before, the monies accrued from last season were swallowed up even before the first team bus arrived in Seville last season!

That is why last season's title was so important in so many ways. Guaranteed money for this season, a dampenener on what the filth could spend at their end and there was no way they were beating PSV. Which is purely my opinion.

B - Where I disagree with you, is that in my opinion he has achieved very little. I mean this time last year we would have laughed and scoffed at the yahoos for their bampottery over losing a game in Seville 19 years ago.

Reading on here, I am now firmly convinced the vast majority on here are on the same frequency. If there's a bluenose equivalent of Tony Roper out there (please no) with the script for a guff play, there's an audience on here would fill the Pavillion every night of the week to bask in the spendour of winning nothing.

C - I don't think the future is inevitable as in him being sacked. But the change has to come from within first and foremost. Eleven months into the job I just don't see it.

Obviously the first team selection tomorrow tells you automatically if there is hope or it will be a slog.

We live in the former.

A - The European income is a match winner. However, I believe, and have said before, the monies accrued from last season were swallowed up even before the first team bus arrived in Seville last season!

That is why last season's title was so important in so many ways. Guaranteed money for this season, a dampenener on what the filth could spend at their end and there was no way they were beating PSV. Which is purely my opinion.

B - Where I disagree with you, is that in my opinion he has achieved very little. I mean this time last year we would have laughed and scoffed at the yahoos for their bampottery over losing a game in Seville 19 years ago.

Reading on here, I am now firmly convinced the vast majority on here are on the same frequency. If there's a bluenose equivalent of Tony Roper out there (please no) with the script for a guff play, there's an audience on here would fill the Pavillion every night of the week to bask in the spendour of winning nothing.

C - I don't think the future is inevitable as in him being sacked. But the change has to come from within first and foremost. Eleven months into the job I just don't see it.

Obviously the first team selection tomorrow tells you automatically if there is hope or it will be a slog.

We live in the former.

It is arguably as strong a contradiction I can remember in our history what Gio has served up.
I find yourself and others dismissing the European achievements of last season and this season as a bit baffling. I don't bask in near achievements but a European final and CL qualification this season were in my opinion totally against the odds.

That's offset by not being even remotely convincing in challenging for the title in most supporters minds and I get that and would agree that's totally unacceptable.

The other contradiction is that after the disaster at the Piggery last season we appeared to have caught them up and I would have argued this season there shouldn't be much between the teams. This season's defeat to them just threw up the notion again there's a real gap between us and them -what that is down to might be up for debate but largely an exercise in semantics. Losing lamely against them is a death sentence for any Rangers manager.

I actually believe the key reset last season was the Piggery game-Gio's Rangers was more attacking after that.

The question is if the serious setbacks this season results in another rethink-we wait and see.

I do believe he's doomed and quite quickly if he serves up a cave in of a season and I firmly believe that is avoidable.

From what I hear is the players bought into his tweaks in Europe and respect that and whilst I haven't heard the opposite about his domestic set ups I do believe the players have always looked to be struggling to adapt to what he is asking in domestic terms or maybe more simply it just doesn't work.

Where we probably do agree is that unless Gio changes his approach in the league he is doomed as the support do not buy into it and whilst I disagree with the detail (it's nothing to do with 2DM's for example) I absolutely agree it's not working.

We are looking at something unique a manager having to change his style-the hope for me is that he has partly done that-he just needs to go further.

I think the reality is we all want to see a change domestically and in the simplest terms we would be appeased if we see some attacking intent in the league and some authority against tuis SPL dross. We see that and we will be a much more positive fan base. We see the defensive set up and lethargy we have seen initially it will be a long season I fear.

It’ll be fine when we win 0-4 tomorrow.
I doubt 4-0 for a start.

And the inconsistency we display will come back to haunt us. The worrying aspect if that piece is the heavy but predictable defeats to better opponents. We only have one and he hasn't beaten them yet ove 90 mins.

Personally, I'm still severely pissed over the last two Parkhead debacles. I don't see a way back for him.

You can gladly bookmark this and slaughter me if it happens.

Gio's approach is what it is domestically. We've seen it for almost a year now and very little within that time has changed. I don't think it will be good enough to get us over the line in first place this season but I obviously hope I am wrong and eating plenty humble pie.

Gio just isn’t the man to take us forward and take us to where we need to be.

His European success has been incredible for the club financially but it’s also saved him his job.

His domestic record is absolutely atrocious and I have no confidence in our team with him as the manager.

I can accept watching what I consider a sh1t style of football if we're winning. And I think Gio simply has to win with his style. I want him to succeed but his footballing philosophy makes it easy for fans to be on his back all the time.
Where did he come up with it? I must say I'm surprised.
He's Dutch.
Played for us under Advocaat.
Played for Arsenal under Wenger.
Played for Barcelona under whoever.
Studied under Pep at Man City.
How did he end up with this philosophy? Was it Holland's run to the WC final when he was captain? Iirc they may have done similar to Brazil in USA 94 and went against their core footballing principles (got rid of the flair/stiffened up their team/became harder to play against & watch) after a long time of failure by their standards.
Whatever got him to where he is, he simply has to win league matches to keep the wolves away.
I really hope he does.

I can accept watching what I consider a sh1t style of football if we're winning. And I think Gio simply has to win with his style. I want him to succeed but his footballing philosophy makes it easy for fans to be on his back all the time.
Where did he come up with it? I must say I'm surprised.
He's Dutch.
Played for us under Advocaat.
Played for Arsenal under Wenger.
Played for Barcelona under whoever.
Studied under Pep at Man City.
How did he end up with this philosophy? Was it Holland's run to the WC final when he was captain? Iirc they may have done similar to Brazil in USA 94 and went against their core footballing principles (got rid of the flair/stiffened up their team/became harder to play against & watch) after a long time of failure by their standards.
Whatever got him to where he is, he simply has to win league matches to keep the wolves away.
I really hope he does.

I think this could be part of the problem.

The belief that Dutch coaches bring attacking football and flair wherever they go is a bit of a myth. In my experience, most Dutch coaches are actually quite rigid, don’t give their players much freedom and build their teams from the back (defence first).

I think this could be part of the problem.

The belief that Dutch coaches bring attacking football and flair wherever they go is a bit of a myth. In my experience, most Dutch coaches are actually quite rigid, don’t give their players much freedom and build their teams from the back (defence first).
Things have fair changed since the days of total football then. You're saying the Brazil of Europe have become the Italians of the 80's?

Things have fair changed since the days of total football then. You're saying the Brazil of Europe have become the Italians of the 80's?

They definitely have. Can you tell me the last Dutch coach that was successful playing that style?

As for the Dutch squad now, I don’t even think it’s debatable that their defence is the strongest part of their team.

They definitely have. Can you tell me the last Dutch coach that was successful playing that style?

As for the Dutch squad now, I don’t even think it’s debatable that their defence is the strongest part of their team.
I believe it's possible to be Rangers manager and win matches in Scotland whilst playing football which is pleasant on the eye.
Surprised there's no Dutch managers who'd fancy doing that.
Is our defence the strongest part of our team? Especially compared to our 55 season.

I believe it's possible to be Rangers manager and win matches in Scotland whilst playing football which is pleasant on the eye.
Surprised there's no Dutch managers who'd fancy doing that.
Is our defence the strongest part of our team? Especially compared to our 55 season.

It is possible but if we’re all being honest then as long as the manager is winning games, we don’t really care about the style of play. The problem Gio has right now is that his style is terrible to watch and he’s not winning games.

I think Gio would like our defence to be the strongest part of our team but unfortunately right now we don’t really have any strong parts.

McLeish finished third that season. Gio is currently 2 points behind in the league and other than the Old Firm defeat which granted was a poor performance, we have only drawn one other domestic game and the referee fucked us over there. It’s not even a close comparison.
Hearts are right on our tails

It is possible but if we’re all being honest then as long as the manager is winning games, we don’t really care about the style of play. The problem Gio has right now is that his style is terrible to watch and he’s not winning games.

I think Gio would like our defence to be the strongest part of our team but unfortunately right now we don’t really have any strong parts.
I agree with your first paragraph.
I said a few weeks ago, if you're going to play sh1te football as a Rangers manager, you better win. If not, the style very quickly becomes less bearable.

I really don’t get why someone has done a laughing emoji at this post…what is wrong with some people?

OP is spot on to point out this massive concern.
Rangers have a plethora of problems currently and they are compounding one another.

I dont hold Gio responsible for the injured players, retention of players who shouldve left or the disinterest of those who want to go but did not. Ultimately I dont believe he has the bottom line say in such matters. There is an argument to be had around whether he could be more involved and vocal about such things but we dont know the specifics of whats said between he and Ross Wilson. I also think his laid-back personality gives very little away and in times of trouble can lead to the feeling of him not understanding the seriousness of whats going/gone wrong.

Gio was an elite level Footballer and his knowledge should be given the respect its due. His performances in Europe as a Coach were exceptional and his Coaching credentials should never be lightly dismissed.

The issue with him is whether hes doing enough with what is available to him because that is his job, problems and all. Realistically he cannot say injured or being out of form players are the reason we trail in the League and struggle to beat poor sides because thats been happening for some time and happened when we had full or partial strength.

Nor can you dismiss heavy tankings by saying competitions are hard.

These are excuses and have no place at Rangers.

He simply should be getting a lot more out of what is there and the real grind is you feel its well within his Coaching grasp to do so

It just isnt happening and thats the concern.

The change in manager worked well for Feyernoord.
I don't like the football we're playing just now, but when you get into the habit of changing managers every other season it rarely ends well.

He’s fked, any defeat and it will start up again.
Start up again?

We won the last game and it hasn’t stopped for 2 weeks! :))

Gio is under massive pressure, it would be silly to pretend otherwise, but some have already made there minds up and todays result won’t change a thing for them.

Start up again?

We won the last game and it hasn’t stopped for 2 weeks! :))

Gio is under massive pressure, it would be silly to pretend otherwise, but some have already made there minds up and todays result won’t change a thing for them.
Mcleish Territory for Gio.

A Feyenoord fan came onto a podcast when we appointed him saying pretty much the same thing about him not changing even when things go wrong.
If you're talking about the H&H interview, that same fan also said Gio was mediocre in Europe though, and so far he's delivered a Europa League final and CL qualification.

Too many pumpings under Gio.

No Rangers manger can (or should) survive multiple heavy defeats against the scum.

The away form in the league is also atrocious.

Wilson should be out the door as well if it comes to it.

Since he came in his record against non bheasts sides domestically is very strong - he hasn’t lost against any of them.

33 games
28 wins
5 draws
0 losses

So he is picking up results and an 84% win ratio. Problem is the level of performance is very slow and cumbersome majority of the time. If that doesn’t change then we will get more of the same. Highly unlikely we lose games, but definitely scope for lots of draws which = no title. No title = removal of the manager in most circumstances.

Since he came in his record against non bheasts sides domestically is very strong - he hasn’t lost against any of them.

33 games
28 wins
5 draws
0 losses

So he is picking up results and an 84% win ratio. Problem is the level of performance is very slow and cumbersome majority of the time. If that doesn’t change then we will get more of the same. Highly unlikely we lose games, but definitely scope for lots of draws which = no title. No title = removal of the manager in most circumstances.

This is one of my favourite things I’ve seen on here tbh.

Removing all of Gio’s bad results to tell us he actually has a great domestic record is pretty wild.

It’s just a shame we have to play the mentally challengeds 4 times a season or else we’d walk the league every year.

As big as his last game and will be as big as his next one, and then his next one.
Kind of how it works at Rangers
But the pressure is more magnified given that under Gio we have struggled in these types of games. He needs to get it right if he wants to remain as manager.

So now they aren't good enough and need replacing? Any reason why guys like Tav, Kent, Morelos etc aren't playing as well as they did under Gerrard?
Because they are 2 years older and players dont get exponentially better and better? Idk but there are many reasons why that could be but eventually players start getting worse

But the pressure is more magnified given that under Gio we have struggled in these types of games. He needs to get it right if he wants to remain as manager.
My initial point stands, we’ve struggled in home games against Utd in his last game and we won.

My initial point stands, we’ve struggled in home games against Utd in his last game and we won.
Yeah but at some point the performance needs to come along with the points and that is something that has been lacking all season with Gio.

Yeah but at some point the performance needs to come along with the points and that is something that has been lacking all season with Gio.
Walter Smith got Legendary status when let’s be honest it was all over silverware and not how you won the silverware.

This is one of my favourite things I’ve seen on here tbh.

Removing all of Gio’s bad results to tell us he actually has a great domestic record is pretty wild.

It’s just a shame we have to play the mentally challengeds 4 times a season or else we’d walk the league every year.
That’s not what I said. I’m not removing his bad results - because within the games I’ve mentioned is the horrendous 3-3 with RC and 2-2 with Motherwell.

It’s just a simple fact that domestic games of which are not against them which is about 90% of games - we have a win ratio of 84%.

Your response is really strange btw.

Gio just isn’t the man to take us forward and take us to where we need to be.

His European success has been incredible for the club financially but it’s also saved him his job.

His domestic record is absolutely atrocious and I have no confidence in our team with him as the manager.
His domestic record isn’t brilliant but it’s hardly atrocious, he has so far won one of two possible domestic trophies and his points per game in the league is 2.32 (including last season), over a season that is 88 points which has actually been enough to win the league in quite a few seasons. (Just looking at this season it’s 2.375 which would be 90 points over a season.)

Last edited:
I doubt 4-0 for a start.

And the inconsistency we display will come back to haunt us. The worrying aspect if that piece is the heavy but predictable defeats to better opponents. We only have one and he hasn't beaten them yet ove 90 mins.

Personally, I'm still severely pissed over the last two Parkhead debacles. I don't see a way back for him.

You can gladly bookmark this and slaughter me if it happens.
Didn't think this would come back to haunt me as quickly.

When GVB can show me he can beat the Yahoos regularly and visit Parkpaed without trepidation, I'll apologise fully. ;-)

Back