Van Gastel

Aye he's joining up in January, I'm sure.

Manager Giovanni Van Bronckhorst with Roy Makaay and Van Gastel as his 2 assistants sounds good to me.
I said a while back I would be surprised if they let him go early because from what I can remember he is doing pretty well there, they were 4th in the table the last I checked. Having managerial experience himself is an added bonus for when he joins up.

I said a while back I would be surprised if they let him go early because from what I can remember he is doing pretty well there, they were 4th in the table the last I checked. Having managerial experience himself is an added bonus for when he joins up.
Is there any guarantee he will choose to come still if his success continues? Obviously if gio wants him then great but just playing devils advocate

FFS it's 3/4d not 3/6d - it wouldn't make sense otherwise

The joke is "send reinforcements, we're going to advance" is relayed on as "send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance"
Apologies, my memory has faded somewhat since I was playing this game in the 60's.:))

I thought Van Gastel rumour has been shot down? My understanding was he is 100% not coming.....I can't keep up here!

I appreciate that the club is trying to spin that we never wanted this guy, but they had ample opportunity to say that yesterday and didn’t.

I’m inclined to think that this deal just became too difficult, for whatever reason.

Not necessarily a bad thing, we won’t know how good or bad the coaching staff is until they get here.

Has never been officially named so only taken as possible / desireable really but agree that the story has helped along by posters / hnh / tweeters all around .
Seems less plausible to hold the line that there was never an interest particularly if there isn’t a new person appointed shortly .
Of course it’s possible that someone changed there mind or negotiations failed with the current contract holders . Would / should that have caused club to hold on publicising GvB ? Prob not given our upcoming schedule .

As the club is trying to put out now I very much doubt we were ever really in for Van Gastel - once an assistant becomes a manager in their own right they hardly ever return to being an assistant.
Gio probably wishes his mate well but understands his career has moved on.
Would Arteta go back to being Pep’s Asst or Gio back to Koeman’s?

As the club is trying to put out now I very much doubt we were ever really in for Van Gastel - once an assistant becomes a manager in their own right they hardly ever return to being an assistant.
This common sense will never catch on in here mate.

I dont think clubs in the CSL have ever blocked Managers/Players leaving who want to do so, they realise its not overly easy to get them to go there in the first place so making it difficult to leave would only be counter-productive.

The Scottish Media reports earlier in the week saying he wasnt coming had zero actual evidence this was the case so it probably comes down to whether Van Gastel actually wants to leave the job and come over.

The fact he stayed there to take the role suggests he wanted to make a go of it and would be unlikely to change his mind so quickly but the lure of Rangers is long and heavy.

If Walter Smith can do it (Man Utd assistant) then so can Van Gastel :))

Back