VAR - Becareful what you wish for

I enjoy watching decisions be correct. I enjoy Rangers lifting cup trophies.

But if you're content with Celtic's offside goal, and no VAR, okay then.
What you on about? I'm talking about the Wolves goal chalked off against Leicester.
And if you took the time to read all the posts, I said I wouldn't want VAR in our game in its present form. Amendments would have to be made.

And......

I'll treat your comment concerning the scum with the disdain it deserves.

Im all for VAR anything to take the pressure of officials on major calls will do for me because we are taking a tanking in big calls the league cup final for one

I enjoy watching decisions be correct. I enjoy Rangers lifting cup trophies.

But if you're content with Celtic's offside goal, and no VAR, okay then.
This has nothing to do with Celtic. The incident you are referring to is a totally different scenario. I want VAR as well but the implementation matters. Not a fan of what happened tonight.

See for folk that don't like goals being ruled out that are just a wee bit offside what distance offside would you suggest players should be allowed to be?

Amd take that a stage further if its 10cm are you really going to be happy when goals are adjudged to be offside when 11cm offside?

If we had VAR in this country Liewell would select who decides. Much like the Compliance officer. It would be only to benefit cellik.

This has nothing to do with Celtic. The incident you are referring to is a totally different scenario. I want VAR as well but the implementation matters. Not a fan of what happened tonight.

The goal was offside though. VAR worked.

Hey, you brought them up.
Go and read what you wrote.

To summarise:
I don't agree with the way VAR is used
I didn't agree with the goal tonight being disallowed. The linesman was right there and didn't flag. Let's be honest, nobody saw the offside. It was that minute.
I'd take VAR if workable amendments were made.
The current system has to be reviewed.
Managers have to have the challenge option
Refs need to use their monitor if challenged by a manager. And the ref only goes to a third party if he cant see anything conclusive.

These are opinions and up for discussion NOT argument

:))

Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
The only way I'd want it in is if the managers had at least two challenges.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.
I don't think anyone on here wishes for anything other than a level playing field, and if the whistle is in the mouth of a cheat then if the same sheat is viewing a television screen, nothing will change.
The problems we face are far deeper than technology and will not be changed by it.

VAR or Kevin Clancy ?
If you have to stop to think about that, you're a muppet !

This is me just now:
ct_muppetsfranchise_fozzie_18702_494d7ea4.jpeg

The Sellick 19th Century Terrorist Association plus technology would be a bad thing for Rangers.

I’ve heard this a few times and don’t agree. So you lose a match to a shocker of a decision just because you’ve used up your 3 (or whatever) challenges on previous, similarly bad, decisions?? Not for me. It’s either all in or all out.
The proposals for a challenge based VAR seem to be using tennis as an example. In that you don’t lose a challenge if you were right I.e. if you challenge and it is upheld, you still have 3 left. You only lose one if the challenge is denied.

Hey, you brought them up.
Go and read what you wrote.

To summarise:
I don't agree with the way VAR is used
I didn't agree with the goal tonight being disallowed. The linesman was right there and didn't flag. Let's be honest, nobody saw the offside. It was that minute.
I'd take VAR if workable amendments were made.
The current system has to be reviewed.
Managers have to have the challenge option
Refs need to use their monitor if challenged by a manager. And the ref only goes to a third party if he cant see anything conclusive.

These are opinions and up for discussion NOT argument

:))

I did not bring them up, a_weir did. I was replying to him, who was replying to you. I think you and me are in agreement bud. I agree with everything you said in this post and your last one. :)

I did not bring them up, a_weir did. I was replying to him, who was replying to you. I think you and me are in agreement bud. I agree with everything you said in this post and your last one. :)
My apologies mate.
VAR will do our head in :))

Not a chance.

Only one club will benefit from VAR if it is brought into the Scottish game.
Fair point. Precisely why it hasn’t been introduced here yet, they don’t need it.

Amending my earlier post, if VAR was implemented and judged impartially we would be top of the league and won the league cup.

VAR would be so good if used the correct way. The ref looking at things at the side of the pitch if need be, talking to someone in a control room like rugby do. VAR is being ruined when they need to get the red lines out for offside

He wasnt flagged offside, the ref never whistled he was offside.
But he was offside, and had the ref or linesman seen it, the goal would have been chopped off.

There aren't degrees of offside, it's a binary option - you're either offside or you're not.

You can't be against VAR then have the audacity to complain when a decision goes against you imo.

There was always going to implementation issues with VAR and the laws of the game will be updated as we progress.

Ultimately the Wolves ‘goal’ was offside, that’s the end of it. People can greet about just how tight it was, but offside is offside.

As for its use up here? It’s sucked a lot of the joy out of football, of that there is no doubt, but what could be more joyless than watching Celtic get helping hands left, right and centre to ensure they get nice cosy title victories? I’ll happily take the game being slowed right down and stopped 100 times per game if it means these cheating bastards get away with less. However, that’s the precise reason there’s zero chance of it ever being implemented up here, they won’t allow it because ultimately it’s use would mean that if the current standard continued people (especially outside of Scotland) would start to ask serious questions about what’s going on up here. I know Clancy’s performance in that last OF game turned a lot of heads down south, fans couldn’t believe how one sided it all was.

We have it in the A League in AU. Main problem is the length of time it can take to make a decision. Wasn't rally a fan but seeing how we are being treated I think its worth a go.

But he was offside, and had the ref or linesman seen it, the goal would have been chopped off.

There aren't degrees of offside, it's a binary option - you're either offside or you're not.
I've made it clear how I feel about VAR in it's present form. I summarised my points.
Therefore, I refer to that summary.

VAR is not coming to Scotland any time soon since the Green Yins are dead against it. They know it would reduce their unhealthy influence on those officiating their games and make their "honest mistakes" correctable immediately.

Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
The only way I'd want it in is if the managers had at least two challenges.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.
Reads to me like the correct decision was made!
At any other time, as you put it, the wrong decision was getting made.
Therefore, VAR has done its job.
Or, is there a measure of being offside that is acceptable?

I’m all for it but with the US approach, certain amount of time to review then if uncertain go with original decision.

Get the frustration at the stop start nature but if it gets it right in the end then....

I would agree with that. It's obvious that VAR is here to stay, but there needs to be a time limit on it. Couple of looks and can't tell? Play on. Much easier than what is happening now. The fact that Coady asked the ref who was offside and the ref couldn't even tell him what happened summed it up.

The worst incident for me was the Tottenham penalty where the game played on for 3 minutes before they went to VAR.

After it was 'forensically examined' by the guys in a building miles away.
The ref is not asking them look at it,he's being told they're looking at it.
It's not the type of football i enjoy watching.
Not really the same argument though.

I can’t believe some of our support are still dragging their heels over VAR. If you pay any attention to the EPL you’ll know it has made a massive improvement to Improving the officiating down south. Regardless of the odd call that gets screwed up they have got the vast, vast, majority (around 95%) of calls bang on the money.

we would not have dropped points on Wednesday, and could well have emerged with all three had VAR been in operation at Rugby Park. I personally couldn’t give a friartuck if it took an hour to make a decision, as long as they call it right.

Reactions: ald
He wasnt flagged offside, the ref never whistled he was offside.

Its the way the system is used that pisses supporters off. Did you hear the crowd and what they think of it....while everybody waited for a THIRD party to make the decision.

He wasnt flagged for handball, the ref never whistled he had handled it.
Ring a bell.

Ah well oiled VAR would not only help make decisions more accurate or catch missed ones but also would be a big deterrent for all the thuggery and snide stuff that goes on. you go hard and heavy for a season catching every infringement and relics like Broadfoot and Brown would soon get the message.

I have no doubt we would be at least joint top with a game in hand and have a trophy if we had VAR in the SPL.

I cannot fathom out how anyone could watch what is happening to us at the moment (and what has been happening to us for a number of seasons) and be against VAR. What we are up against at the moment is unadulterated, brazen cheating. It is scandalous. How could VAR possibly make things worse? It couldn’t. It just couldn’t.

VAR will come eventually in Scotland. There will come a point when pretty much everyone else will have it and we will be such outliers in not having it that even we will be shamed into getting it. But you can be sure that Celtic will resist for as long as they can. The last thing they want is anything to upset the existing corrupt cabal.

And I don’t believe that there isn’t a way to mitigate some of the cost of VAR. No doubt when it does come, the SPFL etc will insist on having their own video refs in their own studio. Probably located at Pacific Quay beside the BBC CSC. But if you wanted to make it cost efficient surely a deal could be agreed with the EPL where their review studio and refs could be used. Just beam the pictures back there and let their folk cover another 6 games alongside the EPL games. Pay them a fee for doing it and save the capital cost of building an SPFL facility.

So, what would be your implementation then?
You need to be a yard offside to be called back?
You need to touch the ball with two hands?
You need to be stamped on twice?
You need to be a yard inside the box for a penalty?

If we had VAR in this country Liewell would select who decides. Much like the Compliance officer. It would be only to benefit cellik.
Maybe so but, there is incontrovertible, undeniable, evidence to be taken into account here.
Not just “in the opinion of the (under pressure and terrified) referee”.

Var is good, but the way it’s used could/must be used better.
The whole shoelace is offside nonsense is just that, Nonsense.
I’d implement a non digital added lines view for refs to look at, just like a paused tv with no extra inputs.

he then can decide if it’s off or onside from that
Problem then is you're back to subjective decisions. VAR and offside is designed to have a clear on/off decision and as much as it's a bit of a joke at the moment the decisions are correct.

Would you want Clancy in a van having a look at the freeze frame of the LC final and being allowed to use his "judgement"?

I think they need to clean up the offside rule to something more easy to deal with but whatever threshold you use will end up with millimetre decisions as people get close to the limit.

After it was 'forensically examined' by the guys in a building miles away.
The ref is not asking them look at it,he's being told they're looking at it.
It's not the type of football i enjoy watching.
Nothing wrong with VAR.
England's implementation of VAR needs reconsidered.

It's 2 different issues.
VAR is good for football.

I have never understood why people complain that someone who is only millimetres or centimetres offside shouldn’t be called offside. The whole point is that it should be entirely binary. If you are onside by a centimetre then you are onside. If you are offside by a centimetre then you are offside.

Back