VAR - Becareful what you wish for

I have never understood why people complain that someone who is only millimetres or centimetres offside shouldn’t be called offside. The whole point is that it should be entirely binary. If you are onside by a centimetre then you are onside. If you are offside by a centimetre then you are offside.

This only works if you have Multiple Camera's recording at 200+fps, there just isn't enough information in certain decisions to be 100% sure.

The actual line thats drawn (that they work out the final decision from) Isn't accurate to start with (because the ball doesn't have tech inside it to say when it moves/accelerates & the camera's don't record fast enough to show when the ball was played), The only time its binary (100% accurate) is when the player & the ball are moving less than about 2mph (or when they are obviously offside) which is why there is now talk of adding a 10cm 'margin of error'

17396474-0-image-a-22_1566073061530.jpg

Full article here & various other places

Why would it be me?

Silly suggestion.
What I am getting at is knowing the set up in the SPFL the reviewers will be selected by the same agenda driven types that select the 'compliance officer' and like the CO, what gets reviewed will be subject to the preference of those not known for their love of Rangers

We wouldn’t be 10 points behind St pats if was up here.
I don’t know so much. It’s just another one of the unwashed sitting in a studio making decisions about our game as well as the one on the pitch. It will change nothing

Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
The only way I'd want it in is if the managers had at least two challenges.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.
Don’t allow VAR with any conditions!
The game is NOT suited to this technology. It’s spoiling the game. I saw this incident earlier and the goal was chalked off because the attackers heel was offside!!!......a joke.
The game is now considerably worse. Fans have always questioned the refs decisions...now...they argue against a machine!!! Refs in England are becoming impotent and possibly irrelevant soon. Get rid!!

Don’t allow VAR with any conditions!
The game is NOT suited to this technology. It’s spoiling the game. I saw this incident earlier and the goal was chalked off because the attackers heel was offside!!!......a joke.
The game is now considerably worse. Fans have always questioned the refs decisions...now...they argue against a machine!!! Refs in England are becoming impotent and possibly irrelevant soon. Get rid!!
Incoming mate :))

With standard of refereeing at the moment, I wouldn't trust them in a portacabin to get a decision right.

Lol i didn't take the huff. I put my point across as best I could.
How can a discussion on this site go so badly wrong.
My opinion disagrees with yours.....hang him!!! How dare he?

Ffs mate, If VAR works then fine. It just needs amendments IMO ofcourse
In Spain, VAR today ruled out a goal, the defender was thrown to the floor and 3 passes and seconds later, the player who threw him down unnoticed, ran in and put the ball in the net.

There are no 5 minutes of line drawing for marginal offsides.

VAR is in the main working, in it's current state.

VAR is supposed to overturn clear and obvious errors.
The FA decided to take it further, and as far as I'm aware are the only country to be doing so.
But an offside, by 1 cm is neither clear, or obvious, so it shouldn't be dissected to death.
The striker should get the benefit of the doubt, assuming this is still part of the official rules.
The thing is, they can't change the rules half way through a season. I think they'll fall back in line with everyone else in the summer, hopefully.

Even if not, the FA in England doesn't have to be Scotland's benchmark.
We can quite comfortably gauge which countries are having most success with VAR and follow their model.

Last edited:
Yet again, VAR disallow what looks like a good goal in the Wolves v Leicester game, all because the Wolves player's left foot was offside. At any other time, the goal would have stood. In my opinion VAR kills the game.
The only way I'd want it in is if the managers had at least two challenges.
But with the state of the Officiating in our game I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place.

I'm pretty sure if we had VAR in Scotland we'd be top of the league and have a Cup trophy in our cabinet.

Ok, the majority think VAR is good for the game.
Ask Sheffield Utd and Wolves, the two most penilised teams in the league concerning VAR.

My becareful what you wish for statement isn't neccessary against VAR, it's for the neccessary amendments to be made so that it becomes an asset to use if reasonable doubt is brought up.

But, I know I'll get slaughtered for that statement.

depends who is sat at the VAR monitor!!!

If a Clancy is sat there then he’s rolling back through the 10 minutes prior to a Rangers goal and ruling it out for any obscure reason he can find
Close 50/50 decisions we don't currently get anyways, which is what all the fuss around VAR comes from. So no change here however if this was to happen people would rage over VAR.

Blatant decisions we would be awarded (such as alfredos goal, their goal in cup final would've been disallowed, etc) because the referee's can't pretend they didn't see it any more - Attempting to argue the blatant decisions would raise a lot of questions they will find it difficult to lie their way out of, which is why they won't and will have no other choice but to accept the decision in oru favour.

Getting VAR is a win win situation for us. We might still not get the 50/50 decisions but we will definitely get the clear, obvious decisions that we are currently being cheated out of.

Close 50/50 decisions we don't currently get anyways, which is what all the fuss around VAR comes from. So no change here however if this was to happen people would rage over VAR.

Blatant decisions we would be awarded (such as alfredos goal, their goal in cup final would've been disallowed, etc) because the referee's can't pretend they didn't see it any more -

Getting VAR is a win win situation for us. We might still not get the 50/50 decisions but we will definitely get the clear, obvious decisions that we are currently being cheated out of.
Fully concur.

Not a chance.

Only one club will benefit from VAR if it is brought into the Scottish game.
My personal opinion is that you are mistaken. There will be decisions we cannot believe have been made, but I believe we will benefit from VAR as everything will be polarised.

For me, VAR ruins the excitement of a goal. You can’t go full-on Tonto because you know it might get ruled out by VAR. You already have to check for the linesman’s flag and the ref pointing to the center circle, but that can be done in a split second. Anyway, on that basis alone, I would rather we didn’t adopt VAR.

Back