VAR - Card Rescinded

Superrangers

Watching back the Colombia v Qatar game from the Copa America, there was an incident with a penalty being awarded to Colombia and a Qatari player being booked. After much carry on (the ref looked out of his depth), it was decided that it wasn’t an offence and the ref rescinded the yellow card by showing the card again and waving his hand back and forth to indicate no.

It really looked ridiculous and the ref should have waited before booking the player, given that VAR was involved but how does this work? If a player is booked for say, protesting and getting in the ref’s face, it is still rescinded or is it still deemed as being out of control and an offence?

Watching back the Colombia v Qatar game from the Copa America, there was an incident with a penalty being awarded to Colombia and a Qatari player being booked. After much carry on (the ref looked out of his depth), it was decided that it wasn’t an offence and the ref rescinded the yellow card by showing the card again and waving his hand back and forth to indicate no.

It really looked ridiculous and the ref should have waited before booking the player, given that VAR was involved but how does this work? If a player is booked for say, protesting and getting in the ref’s face, it is still rescinded or is it still deemed as being out of control and an offence?

%^*& knows, I don't think any of the powers that be have a clue what they are doing with VAR

Personally I'd think you could rescind the card for the offence but dissent is dissent and would stand

I hadn’t til this one. Looked ridiculous and to be fair the ref look poor/unsure what to do with VAR.

I am a big fan of it overall but you need to train officials before they are expected to use it.

Is this in the rules of the game that when overturning a card, you reshow it and wave your arm around?

Better training and all organisations using it for the same reason, it needs standardised rulings

This clear and obvious error line just doesn't seem to be working when you see some of the offside decisions that are being made with millimetres in it
Yes and the Copa America had a decision made without the ref viewing the monitor.

Better training and all organisations using it for the same reason, it needs standardised rulings

This clear and obvious error line just doesn't seem to be working when you see some of the offside decisions that are being made with millimetres in it

Same with the penalty in Scotland ladies game last night, spending the best part of 6 minutes to determine if the defender got a slightl touch of the ball is ridiculous. Surely they should go with the original decision in those cases?

Same with the penalty in Scotland ladies game last night, spending the best part of 6 minutes to determine if the defender got a slightl touch of the ball is ridiculous. Surely they should go with the original decision in those cases?
There needs to be a ‘clear and obvious error,’ which doesn’t take any more than a few views to sort. Six minutes is ridiculous, even in marginal calls.

There needs to be a ‘clear and obvious error,’ which doesn’t take any more than a few views to sort. Six minutes is ridiculous, even in marginal calls.

Was the same in the Croatia U21 game the other day. Madden standing about obviously listening to someone in his ear for a few minutes before making his way over to the monitor.

If VAR ever comes to the SPL an Old Firm game could go on for hours

Was the same in the Croatia U21 game the other day. Madden standing about obviously listening to someone in his ear for a few minutes before making his way over to the monitor.

The way I see it, having watched football for almost 40 years is that you can watch more or less any incident 3 or 4 times and see definitively what has happened. If the VAR team do that and the ref the needs to do that if there is a question of dubiety, there you have 2 mins maximum. That should be the maximum for the most marginal of calls.

The issue comes in with weak and inexperienced (generally or with VAR) officials who cannot decide in the box or control players on the park.

There is no way the likes of Collina would have taken six minutes to make such a call.

Training is needed but the camera evidence should generally lead to quick decisions being made.

The way I see it, having watched football for almost 40 years is that you can watch more or less any incident 3 or 4 times and see definitively what has happened. If the VAR team do that and the ref the needs to do that if there is a question of dubiety, there you have 2 mins maximum. That should be the maximum for the most marginal of calls.

The issue comes in with weak and inexperienced (generally or with VAR) officials who cannot decide in the box or control players on the park.

There is no way the likes of Collina would have taken six minutes to make such a call.

Training is needed but the camera evidence should generally lead to quick decisions being made.

That daft ref last night in the Scotland game took about six minutes to decide on the penalty . Absolutely amateurish. Then takes VAR word for it the keeper was off her line without checking. Then didn’t spot the encroachment which should’ve meant another retake . Then didn’t add any time for the 6 minutes she took to decide . Add in allowing career ending hacks from Argentina on our players without so much as a yellow .

For rescinding cards during play id like to see the referee hand the card to the player and then the player cards the referee, much like the Gazza incident! Lol!

I watched the game live, the whole incident was farcical. It didn't look a penalty in real time, the ref gave it, looked like he wasn't going to go to VAR, was surrounded by fairly aggressive Qatar players, booked 1 player although he appeared to book someone else at the same time, but maybe he just didn't know who committed the supposed offence? He then went to VAR and it was eventually and rightly, overturned.

The reproducing of the yellow card and shaking his finger as an attempt to show that the card was rescinded was hilariously ridiculous.

It seemed to take forever and the whole thing just looked ridiculous.

I was in favour of VAR initially, but no way on earth do I want it now.

The application should be quite simple. If you can’t tell after multiple viewings in a couple of minutes then the original decision should stand. If it takes longer than that then it can hardly be classed as a clear and obvious error.

The way in which VAR is being administrated, is certainly not doing it any favours.

Football is slowly changing, but unfortunately, not for the better

I watched the game live, the whole incident was farcical. It didn't look a penalty in real time, the ref gave it, looked like he wasn't going to go to VAR, was surrounded by fairly aggressive Qatar players, booked 1 player although he appeared to book someone else at the same time, but maybe he just didn't know who committed the supposed offence? He then went to VAR and it was eventually and rightly, overturned.

The reproducing of the yellow card and shaking his finger as an attempt to show that the card was rescinded was hilariously ridiculous.

It seemed to take forever and the whole thing just looked ridiculous.

I was in favour of VAR initially, but no way on earth do I want it now.
It was farcical and it shows that it needs to be correctly implemented. The ref never looked in control of the game and there were multiple occasions where players surrounded him, always a sign of weak refereeing VAR or not.

The application should be quite simple. If you can’t tell after multiple viewings in a couple of minutes then the original decision should stand. If it takes longer than that then it can hardly be classed as a clear and obvious error.
Correct. The worst instance is a penalty where a player lunges in out of control, barely touches the ball and wipes out a defender. That for me should be a penalty, yet if they skiff the ball it’s not given as a penalty, if there is the most marginal of contact, despite how out of control of how badly the attacker is caught.

Seen this happen in a previous game but it was to change a yellow to a red.

VAR is a complete farce and will ruin the game eventually

If you are booked for the foul and the decison is overturned then the yellow would be rescinded there and then.

It would stand if for dissent.

I’m off the opinion that each team should be allowed a certain number, say two per match, of appeals for VAR to be used. If justified then the VAR appeal does not count. If unjustified then they’ve blown one of their chances. A bit like tennis.

I’m off the opinion that each team should be allowed a certain number, say two per match, of appeals for VAR to be used. If justified then the VAR appeal does not count. If unjustified then they’ve blown one of their chances. A bit like tennis.
I’m not for 2 reasons,

1) some games can see many contentious decisions (see games v the paedos) and justice should not be rationed. It can change the outcome of the game.

2) spurious appeals can be made by a side looking to timewaste or break up momentum at the end of a game where they lead or have the desired outcome. Celtc would be sure to use this.

I’m not for 2 reasons,

1) some games can see many contentious decisions (see games v the paedos) and justice should not be rationed. It can change the outcome of the game.

2) spurious appeals can be made by a side looking to timewaste or break up momentum at the end of a game where they lead or have the desired outcome. Celtc would be sure to use this.
Yes but if you only had two chances would you waste them on spurious grounds?

It was farcical and it shows that it needs to be correctly implemented. The ref never looked in control of the game and there were multiple occasions where players surrounded him, always a sign of weak refereeing VAR or not.

Agreed on both points.

The ref was weak and as you say, he seemed to allow himself to be surrounded by players at every incident.

VAR needs an awful lot improved on if its going to succeed, IMHO. Its taking way too long which takes the momentum out of the game, players aren't able to celebrate properly as it can be several minutes before they know if its a goal or not and it sometimes feels like an anti-climax.

Aside from the rescinded yellow (and I've clearly missed this somewhere), why is Qatar playing in the Copa America???

They need 12 sides and there are only 10 in South America so invite outside countries, this year the finalists in the Asian games (wonder if envelopes changed hands?).

Did not know that, cheers for the info, however ridiculous the facts are!

And I think we all know the answer to your question! A lot of mutual back-scratching going on there without a shadow of a doubt.

Did not know that, cheers for the info, however ridiculous the facts are!

And I think we all know the answer to your question! A lot of mutual back-scratching going on there without a shadow of a doubt.
[/QUOTE]
They seem to be making progress under Spanish coaches but not sure how many of their players are ‘naturalised’ Qataris. I would expect shenanigans in this respect before the World Cup. Not sure how much is down to national eligibility rules and how much is FIFA controlled.

I think guys like Bobby and his pals would come to a decision pretty quickly in an old firm game.

I’m not for 2 reasons,

Re point 1, run it like the NFL challenge system, if you're right you keep it to be used again

Back