VAR has ruined the EPL

Nervous about VAR in our game on Thursday for the 1st time. Be the 1st time I’ve watched a game that I actually care about the result, up until now have found it all rather amusing when goals get chopped off etc.

How do you know we'd have got the decisions? After watching as blatant a penalty as you'll ever see in the liverpool game last night, that's no guarantee.

That night at pittodrie was of our own making, Should have been well out of sight, not looking for a penalty. trying to use var to explain our rank displays doesn't cover up the fact the teams went south very quickly.

I've no doubts theres fans of other teams giving it the same stuff about decisions they'd get with VAR. Simple fact,its a crowd killer and that's where it fails for me. When you have players being apprehensive after scoring that's not good for punters.

Maybe if tv cameras hadn't decided to put in cameras all over the place looking for a fault with everything,we wouldn't need to be here, but these days all the talk is about decisions and VAR hasn't helped in any way. I remember the days when people used to talk about nice football being played and some great skill on display. Seems a long time ago

Well like it or not, one thing VAR has got right is offside so their goal in the league cup final definitely wouldn't have stood.

Put it this way, the current setup isn't benefiting Rangers whatsoever so why not try the alternative? There's a reason we've asked for it and Celtic haven't.

Well like it or not, one thing VAR has got right is offside so their goal in the league cup final definitely wouldn't have stood.

Put it this way, the current setup isn't benefiting Rangers whatsoever so why not try the alternative? There's a reason we've asked for it and Celtic haven't.
If you want to go to games and watch a cracking goal go in, then hang about 3 mins or so waiting on people in a room looking at lines over a screen,carry on. Not for me or I think most of the punters.

I hate it and I don’t want it anywhere near our game.

I find it incredible any Rangers fan can have this opinion with the absolute bullshit decision that have gone against us.

VAR is fucked in England but it worked well in the world cup. Follow that model and it can work here.

I know there have been numerous threads about this, but VAR has taken alll of the thrill out of the game.

Villa v Spurs had 2 VAR decisions in 2 minutes. A penalty that nobody was looking for was the result of the second decision.

Apart from anything else, more time is spent hanging about waiting. A player scores and then has to wait to see if its a goal.

In theory this is a good idea, in practice its a nightmare. Get it binned.
I'd rather we'd been given that goal on Wednesday and had to wait a minute to celebrate it.
I'd rather Killie had to wait a minute before their goal got chopped off for handball.
I'd rather we'd had to wait before celebrating those offside goals today etc.

Have hated it since it was introduced........ but now........WE NEED IT!

The fear and the cheating would be harder to hide.

I'd rather we'd been given that goal on Wednesday and had to wait a minute to celebrate it.
I'd rather Killie had to wait a minute before their goal got chopped off for handball.
I'd rather we'd had to wait before celebrating those offside goals today etc.
I'd rather the ref gave it in the first place.

One positive development from VAR is it exposes how ridiculous offside is. A pointless rule but so ingrained that no one dares question it.
How is the offside rule pointless?

It stops people from camping 1 man in the enemy box and punting the ball up to him

Exactly

We're not currently getting any decisions

VAR will disallow some for us 100%, people will be pissed off at it. But getting some decisions in our favour is better than getting none

50/50 decisions we get 0. With VAR, in theory, we will get 50% of them. In reality it might be less than that but even if we only got 10% of them, it's better than what we are getting now.

Then the blatantly obvious ones like their offside cup goal will be disallowed in our favour

Personally, I'm amenable to the SPL following the EPL and implementing VAR, as I believe it is the best chance of discouraging the series of (in my view) pretty blatant bad decisions -- or non-decisions -- that go against Rangers almost weekly.

The requirements of making it work are:

1. Impartial VAR refs (from England, Europe, or even globally).
2. VAR room located some distance from Glasgow (technologically possible).

And how will they fund it? Gate receipts?
What does it cost ? Has anyone costed it for Scotland? Could it be sponsored ? Adverts in the gaps waiting the decision ? "And over we go to the 'Specsavers VAR' ?
We need to start asking pertinent questions and look in to it as a priority. Not having it could cost Rangers the league this season. That is some financial hit for us and a huge plus for our closest rivals as they benefit from CL money.

Personally, I'm amenable to the SPL following the EPL and implementing VAR, as I believe it is the best chance of discouraging the series of (in my view) pretty blatant bad decisions -- or non-decisions -- that go against Rangers almost weekly.

The requirements of making it work are:

1. Impartial VAR refs (from England, Europe, or even globally).
2. VAR room located some distance from Glasgow (technologically possible).
There you go...a studio in England with rotating ex refs. Two birds with the one stone.

What does it cost ? Has anyone costed it for Scotland? Could it be sponsored ? Adverts in the gaps waiting the decision ? "And over we go to the 'Specsavers VAR' ?
We need to start asking pertinent questions and look in to it as a priority. Not having it could cost Rangers the league this season. That is some financial hit for us and a huge plus for our closest rivals as they benefit from CL money.

Reports are that it would cost £1m per season to implement in Scotland.

I know there have been numerous threads about this, but VAR has taken alll of the thrill out of the game.

Villa v Spurs had 2 VAR decisions in 2 minutes. A penalty that nobody was looking for was the result of the second decision.

Apart from anything else, more time is spent hanging about waiting. A player scores and then has to wait to see if its a goal.

In theory this is a good idea, in practice its a nightmare. Get it binned.
I started a thread on VAR after the Wolves v Leicester game, had a few disagreements, which is ok, but it does need tweaked and certain things amended before it can be worked properly.

You'll still get the For and Against arguments anyway.

What part of that is bollocks?

With VAR we win the cup final. With VAR Killie's first goal is disallowed for hand ball and Morelos' goal likely stands. With VAR we get a penalty in the 2-2 game up at Pittodrie.
Celtic don't get awarded their opening goal on 29th Dec. The list goes on.

So folk would rather we lost league titles and cups because they don't like the way it currently works in England? Odd behaviour.

It is going to be at least a couple of million a season. This bill would be footed by the clubs. When some of them dont even want to pay for grass pitches I cant seeing many clubs being in favour.

Back