VAR in Old Firm Games

Parkbear1

Official Ticketer
Watching Match of the Day and looking at the 2 penalties we should have had against them last week and their offside goal, if Rangers and Celtic agreed would VAR be allowed to be used in old Old Firm games, or because the rest of the league don't use it its not allowed. We both have the big screens to communicate decisions?

There is no hiding place though.
I'd love it as you just have to look at our last 3 matches,we have nothing to lose.

There is no hiding place when clear cut decisions go against us and what happens? Ignored and everyone moves on.

Same would happen with VAR, the only way I would want it is if it was manned by impartial parties brought in from elsewhere.

Otherwise we would end up with the same decisions just put through a fancy new process.

There is no hiding place when clear cut decisions go against us and what happens? Ignored and everyone moves on.

Same would happen with VAR, the only way I would want it is if it was manned by impartial parties brought in from elsewhere.

Otherwise we would end up with the same decisions just put through a fancy new process.
So you are saying they would stop the game,go through all the checks with lines etc,which is shown on TV,then just ignore it in front of millions of viewers etc?

So you are saying they would stop the game,go through all the checks with lines etc,which is shown on TV,then just ignore it in front of millions of viewers etc?

IT would fail at step one IMO. The referees, who shite out of these decisions, would not ask for VAR. And a Lawell patsy wouldn't flag incidents to bring it to review.

You could still use the VAR studio they use in England. Surely they officials wouldn't be compromised, unless Dermot Gallagher was in there!

Wasn't VAR on the cards for Scottish Football but both Rangers and Celtic said no? I think it was down to the way it was proposed to be funded?

In a country where grass pitches are becoming a rarity in the top flight and we don’t even have goal line technology VAR is a million miles away.

In a country where grass pitches are becoming a rarity in the top flight and we don’t even have goal line technology VAR is a million miles away.

Its really not . VAR is relatively cheap at the entry level . There are various packages available . There are far poorer leagues in Europe than the SPL have it in place already .

It’s cheaper than goal line technology, for example .

Define 'no hiding place'?
Well an offside 'goal' like last week would be shown to be clearly offside,you've seen the lines etc which they show to millions of viewers,and goal would be rightly disallowed...................unless you think they would go through that whole procedure,then just say goal?

Well an offside 'goal' like last week would be shown to be clearly offside,you've seen the lines etc which they show to millions of viewers,and goal would be rightly disallowed...................unless you think they would go through that whole procedure,then just say goal?

My answer/reply to you is simple.

We don't have competent officials. What makes you think those in the TV room will be any different?

All they would do in that case is hide behind the line already in place; 'VAR isn't perfect.'

And don't forget the press and the part they play.

If the roles had been reversed last week, the rhags would still be full of the injustice of it all.

How did that work out for us last week?

As I pointed out, that procedure to get to the final decision of disallowing a goal would get stopped long before a final decision was required.

We don't have competent officials. What makes you think those in the TV room will be any different?

All they would do in that case is hide behind the line already in place; 'VAR isn't perfect.'

If the roles had been reversed last week, the rhags would still be full of the injustice of it all.

Correct mate, as I pointed out it would be largely ignored.

There seems to be a lot of people naive as to how this would be implemented in Lawells dictatorship.

There is no hiding place though.
I'd love it as you just have to look at our last 3 matches,we have nothing to lose.
I’ve said this from the beginning.
However “decisions” by the BT referee at the sheep and Hamilton games make me wonder.

Who would be in the tv room?
We may well use the same room the English Premiership use initially?
I want it,you dont.

Correct mate, as I pointed out it would be largely ignored.

There seems to be a lot of people naive as to how this would be implemented in Lawells dictatorship.
Just like it is just now then,we need to try something to shine the light on this shit hole.

VAR is only as good as those viewing it.

Could the officials who would be responsible for viewing the VAR, be trusted to get it right.

I doubt it TBH

In theory, yes great.

The reality is retired refs like Craig Thompson!! would probably be reviewing the decisions.

And when he still gets it wrong against us?

The odd mumble and grumble and forgotten about a week later.

Who would be in the tv room?
We may well use the same room the English Premiership use initially?
I want it,you dont.

I want our club to be treated fairly. So in that we are in full agreement.

Where we differ is that you believe VAR will cure all ills.

My reasoning is it will be more of the same people cheating us behind the scenes.

And can you imagine the SFA allowing outsiders to run what is a very tight knit malpractice just now, taking ultimate power away from their running of the game?

I just can't see it.

Why? Trainee refs, and complete shite get smaller games and the "best" refs get the big games.
Decisions go for both teams.

Any team who wants to pay for VAR should be allowed to have it.
I don’t make the rules mate, just telling you.

Same (apparent) reason we don’t have multi ball in Scotland, not every team can afford it.

Just like it is just now then,we need to try something to shine the light on this shit hole.

Very true, I agree we need something to shine a light. Handing something like VAR to incompetent and biased people will only prove to legitimize the same incompetent and biased people.

When they get it right and it suits the agenda it would be wheeled out as a wonderful thing. When they get it wrong but it suits the agenda, it will be brushed away and ignored. When it gets it wrong and doesn't suit the agenda it will be vilified. The compliant press will see to that.

I'm all for VAR, 100%.

But, you need to remember there will be an outcry regardless. Just think of the wee 50/50s we get too, that goes if it's done right.

I want our club to be treated fairly. So in that we are in full agreement.

Where we differ is that you believe VAR will cure all ills.

My reasoning is it will be more of the same people cheating us behind the scenes.

And can you imagine the SFA allowing outsiders to run what is a very tight knit malpractice just now, taking ultimate power away from their running of the game?

I just can't see it.
I never said it will 'cure all ills'.
It will help to shine the light on this corrupt back water.

3 of our "premier" clubs don't even have a grass pitch never mind implementing VAR.

You also can't have it for certain games and leave the rest out. Forgive me for using the phrase, but it takes the sporting integrity out the game - it has to be an all or nothing approach.

I think VAR is a good thing on paper but the implementation of it, especially in England, is leaving a lot to be desired to be honest.

Rangers have nothing to lose with VAR.

You may well have a point, we don't have anything to lose.

But the implications of being seen to run the game fairly and implementing the rules for all clubs, where we would benefit massively, simply will not be allowed to happen.

Certainly, I cannot see it happening, which is a whole lot different from your assertion, I don't want it.

I never said it will 'cure all ills'.
It will help to shine the light on this corrupt back water.

Which takes us back to the press.

It shouldn't need VAR to 'shine a light on this corrupt backwater'.

Trial by the television cameras is very much to the fore up here, as well you already know.

Sorry for pissing on your full English as it were.

I just believe it suits the people who have already corrupted Scottish football to the core, to leave things as they are.

I don’t make the rules mate, just telling you.

Same (apparent) reason we don’t have multi ball in Scotland, not every team can afford it.
Every team should be responsible for installing VAR in their own stadium if they want it. And ensure its used in every game or none.
I don't see how that would then benefit one pm team or another?

UEFA do. VAR not in Europa League group matches, but is in the knock out stages. That's picking and choosing.
That’s specifying which phase of the tournament will be covered by it before it kicks off, not seeing who is playing each other.

I don’t agree with it, but it isn’t difficult to wrap your head around.

Back