VAR, surely even the sceptics among our fan base would be happy for it now.

If there was VAR then we would have had no McGregor and no goal.

As bad as Clancy as, a lot of the fouls like all the Brown incidents, there was contact there and would have stood.

If Clancy had VAR to look at, we’d end up with 8 players in every game.
Dont know about that but certainly take your point you will be allowing these nuts to slow everything down and pick and choose which incidents to have another look at.

We could see more soft penalties given against us, more red cards, the focus will be on checking to be 100 per cent sure on anything we get..... every goal Rangers score will be taken apart there must be something there, a push, offside, foul, any excuse.

Folk that believe this is just win win win for Rangers are in for a real shock and i dont buy this stuff about how Celtic will be the ones that suffer, most refs love giving them decisions that aint going to change anytime soon.

Agree. The only thing changing last night with VAR is a penalty for Aberdeen and McGregor sent off.

Load of pish.

It would've been a penalty but not a red card since McGregor made a genuine attempt at the ball. Double jeopardy rule.

Hayes would've been sent off.

They wouldn't have got a second penalty since Barisic was clearly pushed before it hit Morelos' arm.

Moreover, there's been three huge penalty decisions that have gone in Celtic's favour. Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Livingston. Dundee also had a goal disallowed for absolutely nothing against them.

BTW there's a reason when Rangers were calling for VAR to be introduced under Gerrard, Celtic/Lawwell didn't. Speaks volumes.

It simply will mate, we wont get all the calls we should but we would get alot more than now. More importantly celtic would get alot less.
I’ve come to realise there’s a part of our fanbase who have decided that the game is so rigged against us that even VAR couldn’t help balance it up. Even when it would clearly remove debate on factual incidents such as handball goals and 3 players being offside at a Cup Final winner.

Nothing anyone will say will clearly change their mind.

The reason I’m so vociferous on this is, VAR - even in the “perfect world” of the EPL gets things wrong at times, but it very much more gets things right. And people can see that the VAR official has seen the incident. That, in itself, pulls the rug out from under Clancy and the linesman for the Hayes incident alone. How many more incidents could we talk about too in this season alone?

How many decisions last night could have been changed with VAR?

No penalty. Imo, arm was at his side and he didn’t move it

Hayes. Wee rat would have been off.

Kent, wouldn’t have been off.

Others???
McGregor might have seen a red card.
I want VAR but it must be fair and not used just for selected incidents judged by dodgy ex referees hand picked because of their allegiance to a certain club or their hatred towards another club. In scotshit football who could we trust to call it fair. We know some ex refs are just as bad and bigotted as some we have now. Brines.conroy.thompson Smith and Clarke just to name a few. Some of them guaranteed and not one can be trusted. And the cheating will continue.

An extra layer of cheating, as someone said, is correct.

Why people think it will solve the corrupt referees is beyond me.

They don’t get the same get out when the tv evidence is there for all to see.
They wont care the media will support them in every situation same as they do when its out on the park and they also get the chance to check more incidents, for example who is to say a 2nd Celtic ref doing VAR isnt screaming for a red for out keeper.

Cos it works on sky/bt and most things on here are about live tv coverage and how beautiful and fascinating these foreign leagues are.

We should ignore the fact these league are not corrupt.

Would need to see that again to be fair was at the game, only seen a quick replay of the penalty as well
giphy-downsized-large.gif

There was a good reason why only one of the big Scottish clubs was against VAR being introduced to Scottish football. They were against it due to the fact that most of the “dodgy” decisions went in their favour.

Guess which club that was. It very obvious that VAR would reduce them getting the dodgy decisions, if on nothing else, the offside ones would go as there would be no hiding. Feck, even lesser leagues in Europe (for example Kosovo) use it but not up here in our backward one.

Cos it works on sky/bt and most things on here are about live tv coverage and how beautiful and fascinating these foreign leagues are.

We should ignore the fact these league are not corrupt.
Incidents would be ignored as they are now. With the full backing of the media.

There was a good reason why only one of the big Scottish clubs was against VAR being introduced to Scottish football. They were against it due to the fact that most of the “dodgy” decisions went in their favour.

Guess which club that was. It very obvious that VAR would reduce them getting the dodgy decisions, if on nothing else, the offside ones would go as there would be no hiding. Feck, even lesser leagues in Europe (for example Kosovo) use it but not up here in our backward one.

Hilarious because they are all over social media and their blogs joking that Rangers will be dead against this. They don’t realise we’ve been pushing for it and they have been responsible for the delay. All the rest of the league seem strongly in favour.

Said on another thread, Barisic needs to be going down there and claiming for a foul.

To answer the OP I think VAR might well have given them the penalty with McGregor and ruled out our goal. No red card.

Possibly picks up that push on Barisic so no 2nd penalty.

Possibly picks up McCrorie on Goldson, penalty to us.

Hayes would've been off.

So probably still finishes 1-1, with 10 men each.

Rangers want VAR, Celtic don't.

That tells you everything.

As it stands, the current system isn't working for us. So anything would be an improvement. Also, referees could no longer hide behind the 'honest mistakes' of not seeing things. Offsides would be called as offside.

Some of the paranoia is mental.

Rangers want VAR, Celtic don't.

That tells you everything.

As it stands, the current system isn't working for us. So anything would be an improvement. Also, referees could no longer hide behind the 'honest mistakes' of not seeing things. Offsides would be called as offside.

Some of the paranoia is mental.
So it is only paranoia if i suggest a ref would watch a tv replay and still give a dishonest or biased decision on what hes seen, but you can say the refs are hiding behind honest mistakes.

A an incredibly paranoid take on things in my view.

There would still be controversy over the clear and obvious errors the VAR decided not to look at or overrule. The compliant officer has had retrospective video for years and let so much slide, why would it be any different in live time?

I'm still for its introduction, and overall higher standards of refereeing decisions and fairness btw.

Said on another thread, Barisic needs to be going down there and claiming for a foul.

To answer the OP I think VAR might well have given them the penalty with McGregor and ruled out our goal. No red card.

Possibly picks up that push on Barisic so no 2nd penalty.

Possibly picks up McCrorie on Goldson, penalty to us.

Hayes would've been off.

So probably still finishes 1-1, with 10 men each.

If they get the first penalty then the entire course of the game would have changed, so none of the other incidents would have occurred.

I’d rather Scottish football made referees a full time job than investing in VAR. Referees should be held accountable for poor performances and if there’s repeat offenders, they drop down leagues and get paid the relevant rate

They wont care the media will support them in every situation same as they do when its out on the park and they also get the chance to check more incidents, for example who is to say a 2nd Celtic ref doing VAR isnt screaming for a red for out keeper.
There is far less scope for even a Celtc-minded official to fudge decisions when tv evidence is used in real-time.

Why would there have been a red card for McGregor? There was no contact.

Celtc don’t want VAR as they know it will cost them 10-15 points per season.

I’d rather Scottish football made referees a full time job than investing in VAR. Referees should be held accountable for poor performances and if there’s repeat offenders, they drop down leagues and get paid the relevant rate
There wouldn’t be any referees left.

There is far less scope for even a Celtc-minded official to fudge decisions when tv evidence is used in real-time.

Why would there have been a red card for McGregor? There was no contact.

Celtc don’t want VAR as they know it will cost them 10-15 points per season.
If you think he is a celtic minded official he can fudge anything these people are nuts.

Cos someone with a different view to yours might think so.

We dont even know if they dont want VAR it keeps being posted on here as fact but we have no idea, it might cos them it might not maybe with bent refs they would gain.

Are you still going down the poor performances, bad luck, timmy telt us, nothing to see here route.

If you think he is a celtic minded official he can fudge anything these people are nuts.

Cos someone with a different view to yours might think so.

We dont even know if they dont want VAR it keeps being posted on here as fact but we have no idea, it might cos them it might not maybe with bent refs they would gain.
There is zero chance they would gain.

You only have to look at the game v the sheep the other night to see how we are constantly on the receiving end of incorrect major, game changing decisions.

VAR will still lead to some contentious decisions but the scope for them is vastly reduced.

VAR will benefit us and cost them, hugely.

Do you genuinely believe that if the Tim’s wanted it, it wouldn’t already be in place? Of course it would. They get everything they want.

Are you still going down the poor performances, bad luck, timmy telt us, nothing to see here route.
I think they’re inept but dont believe they’re intentionally cheating

Anything that’s based on human judgement will always have a degree of error, just so happens there’s repeat offenders because they’re horrendous at their part-time jobs. They should be held accountable, made full-time and demoted if they continuously make errors

I think they’re inept but dont believe they’re intentionally cheating

Anything that’s based on human judgement will always have a degree of error, just so happens there’s repeat offenders because they’re horrendous at their part-time jobs. They should be held accountable, made full-time and demoted if they continuously make errors
Full time refs, more money, that ends it very good point mate.

It'll have been said but most of the decisions wouldn't have been looked at under VAR. I'm not sure why it would matter if it did get reviewed, how close was the assistant to Borna being assaulted twice? It wasn't just the ref that cheated, his whole team did (Var would just have another).

There is zero chance they would gain.

You only have to look at the game v the sheep the other night to see how we are constantly on the receiving end of incorrect major, game changing decisions.

VAR will still lead to some contentious decisions but the scope for them is vastly reduced.

VAR will benefit us and cost them, hugely.

Do you genuinely believe that if the Tim’s wanted it, it wouldn’t already be in place? Of course it would. They get everything they want.
You say there is zero chance they gain but they do from everything else, i think VAR fans are deluded we might get some decisons im sure we would but its still the same folk making the big calls which most of us accept are corrupt.

The tims dont want it stuff, is that even true, id guess they want to make sure the people in control are Celtic men or Celtic friendly so its similar to what happens on the pitch.

Perhaps in the minority but I can't be doing with VAR.

All that will happen is move the discussion to why certain decisions were or were not overturned or why some weren't reviewed at all.

Won't achieve anything & we will be bored to tears discussing it

VAR sounds like the panacea for righting these wrongs but it has to be operated by a refereeing official.
What happens if that official is Clancy. Or Robertson etc etc.

What we have is collection of officials ranging from incompetent to the openly corrupt. Much of what we are seeing is a consequence of the Compliance Officer not calling out the Celtc Chairman for his comments at their AGM. Refereeing officials read the room and have acted, or not acted, accordingly to the benefit of their career.

It has the potential to take some of the more obvious bias/cheating out of the equation, but isn't anywhere near being a panacea.

Every goal will be reviewed, which might help, but the VAR officials will still decide what to ask the referee to review; and will still have the autonomy to make marginal calls.

The opportunities for the systemic bias we face will be reduced, but not eliminated.

You say there is zero chance they gain but they do from everything else, i think VAR fans are deluded we might get some decisons im sure we would but its still the same folk making the big calls which most of us accept are corrupt.

The tims dont want it stuff, is that even true, id guess they want to make sure the people in control are Celtic men or Celtic friendly so its similar to what happens on the pitch.
At the minute there is no accountability. They can just make the decisions and it gets brushed off.

When they have to watch real-time footage and are answerable to that, there is far less scope for dodgy mistakes, deliberate or otherwise.

It’s staggering that people try to argue otherwise.

Back