VAR Tonight

coinflipper

Was hard to tell. Was the ref advised by earpiece? Or was it totally up to him and his officials to go and check? Sorry if it’s an obvious question but it just wasn’t clear to me.

No idea but what's the point in having it if they dont tell him when he clearly gets something wrong? 3 throw ins blatantly went the wrong way tonight and they scored from one. I thought every goal was reviewed to check there was nothing wrong with the goal?

Not that it matters now mind you.

No idea but what's the point in having it if they dont tell him when he clearly gets something wrong? 3 throwing blatantly went the wrong way tonight and they scored from one. I thought every goal was reviewed to check there was nothing wrong with the goal?

It seemed to be up to the ref to decide if he wanted to go and check but at the same time he seemed to wait after each goal. That’s why I ask

No idea but what's the point in having it if they dont tell him when he clearly gets something wrong? 3 throw ins blatantly went the wrong way tonight and they scored from one. I thought every goal was reviewed to check there was nothing wrong with the goal?

I was thinking this when they showed the ball going out of play. Was it a case of the var panel missing it or can they not bring it back for a wrong throw in decision?

It seemed to be up to the ref to decide if he wanted to go and check but at the same time he seemed to wait after each goal. That’s why I ask
VAR automatically 'reviews' certain incidents and then will recommend the ref takes another look if they think hes missed something.

The condescending UEFA video pre-match stated that we would be advised when a VAR review was underway. I reckon that the Braga players convinced the Ref to review our goals, Not once did they alert us as to a review

I was thinking this when they showed the ball going out of play. Was it a case of the var panel missing it or can they not bring it back for a wrong throw in decision?
They cant bring it back for that. Its for game changing decisions and mistaken identity.

Goals, red card offences, awarded or potential penalties. Thats what they check.

The condescending UEFA video pre-match stated that we would be advised when a VAR review was underway. I reckon that the Braga players convinced the Ref to review our goals, Not once did they alert us as to a review
They delay before kick off is the ref waiting on VAR to tell him theres nothing to review. So for example while theyre getting ready for kick off VAR will be checking for things like the ball going out of play, a foul or offside in the lead up to the goal.

They cant bring it back for that. Its for game changing decisions and mistaken identity.

Goals, red card offences, awarded or potential penalties. Thats what they check.

But there was a goal as a result of the wrong decision. They can pull it back if there's a hand ball in the lead up to a goal so why can't they for a wrong throw in call?

If the VAR refs feel like an incident has occurred then he’ll instruct the match ref to look at the monitor to make up his own mind.

But there was a goal as a result of the wrong decision. They can pull it back if there's a hand ball in the lead up to a goal so why can't they for a wrong throw in call?

they can only bring it back for the ‘attacking phase of play’

The UEFA protocols are alot less intrusive than the English ones. Think these are a much better balance

However, I wonder if there were times when it impacted our defending - Goldson in particular in the first half seemed to stop and appeal rather than defending on a couple of occasions.

There was a throw in as a result of a wrong decision. The phase for the goal doesnt become active until the ball is in play. What if they take the throw in and we score from it?

all goals are reviewed as a matter of procedure by the VAR team

Doesn't matter as after the throw in was taken it's now in a different phase of play. Everything from the throw in until the goal would have been checked.
Throw in, corners, freelicks etc aren't checked by var.

The officials made some of the SFA lot look decent tonight. Some baffling calls were made for clear throw ins that we should’ve got.

You gotta question how the officials got so many throw in decisions wrong. Maybe we just var everything and the game takes 180 mins to complete, 2nd goal wouldn't have counted if we did.

Surely a strange decision to have a Spanish ref to referee Scottish team v Portuguese team.

when did we ever have an English ref for a euro game..

Was hard to tell. Was the ref advised by earpiece? Or was it totally up to him and his officials to go and check? Sorry if it’s an obvious question but it just wasn’t clear to me.
Yeah every goal was checked he was holding his ear. Also first half when one of our guys went down in box he held corner for 20 seconds to check. Obviously VAR does not look at throw ins.

Nearly as bad as the linesman on the side of the benches. Abysmal. Gave at least 3 or 4 throw ins the wrong way
That linesman didnt have a clue ball would go out and he just looked confused and didnt know which way to point his flag and just made it up as he went along i think

Surely a strange decision to have a Spanish ref to referee Scottish team v Portuguese team.

when did we ever have an English ref for a euro game..
true. Imagine if the spfl ever appointed a RE teacher from a Protestant school to referee an old firm game
Yeah every goal was checked he was holding his ear. Also first half when one of our guys went down in box he held corner for 20 seconds to check. Obviously VAR does not look at throw ins.
must be a var somewhere then it’s his decision to go and check.

Throw ins seemed dodgy but I’d rarely complain about that as seems petty other than the fact we lost the goal from one. Thought a couple of our offsides looked questionable but none were level with me.

The Barisic tackle could easily have been red. And the yellows for both Alfie and Aribo for their first fouls of the game were weird, especially when Aribo was barely on the park and it was very questionable that it was even a foul much less a card.

But. Overall, I thought the ref wasn’t the worst. He let the game flow and permitted meaty challenges and nicks from both sides. Looked like he had decided to be lenient and ran with it for both sides. His was let down by a woeful linesman but most of the time we’d be unfussed by throw ins if their goal hadn’t resulted.

6/10. And that’s the best I’ve seen a ref do in one of our games for months.

Back