VAR

Ibroxkev

I know it’s been about for a year or so now and I’m not really the biggest fan. What I will say though is that any VAR decision should have nothing to do with the ref on the pitch.

If it’s taken out of his hands then we don’t have players begging for reviews & we then don’t have managers etc trying to influence him at the sidelines.

Just mike him up like the NFL to explain the decision

It worked perfectly fine in the Juve/Ajax game there, every big decision ended with the correct outcome. If players trying to influence the referee is a problem then start booking them, it'll soon stop.

Disagree. Thought that was a stone wall penalty at the end for Juve...especially considering some of the other hand balls that've been given using VAR.

It also took far too long in that game. Ziyech's goal was a screamer but it was clearly offside, no need for it to take 2 minutes to review.

Commentator was going mental (Johnathan w@nk Pierce) screaming down the mic questioning why a penalty wasn't given to Juventus for an 'obvious' handball after VAR was used (he must have had money on a draw) his assistant (who also must have had his cash on 2-2) was backing it up no end. A minute later another angle of the 'offence' was shown...Spiers "Ah...we didn't see that angle did we?" LOL!:D:p

Disagree. Thought that was a stone wall penalty at the end for Juve...especially considering some of the other hand balls that've been given using VAR.

It also took far too long in that game. Ziyech's goal was a screamer but it was clearly offside, no need for it to take 2 minutes to review.

Did it not hit his chest??

I thought every var decision in both games was correct.

In fact every var decisions I have seen I have not disagreed with any of them.

It’s here to stay. Just needs stream-lined a little.

Was also really impressed the ref in the juve -ajax game in general.

It came off Blind's chest.

Think a handball needs to actually hit a hand mate.

I’m not saying that tonight’s decisions were incorrect, just that going forward - in the long term I’d rather it was taken out of the hands of the guy on the pitch I.E we respect your decision but on review this is the correct outcome.

Thought it was a hand ball until I seen it from the other angle my self and the off side goal Ajax scored.
Impressed with Ajax and they should have scored a few more.

Only saw the one replay which looked as if it hit his arm.

Looked a stone waller as he moves his arm back right when the ball hits his chest. It looks like hit arm moves coz the ball hits it, until you see the linesmans view.

VAR is pish and instant replay in the NFL is a joke. Just slows the game down and makes officials lazy. Everyone is still arguing about VAR decisions and Barca were denied a stone wall penalty by it tonight. The players make mistakes and so do refs and linesmen and that's fine as human error is a part of the game that contributes to it being so great.
Down with VAR !

Having seen it first hand on Sunday, not as convinced as I was beforehand..........

VAR is pish and instant replay in the NFL is a joke. Just slows the game down and makes officials lazy. Everyone is still arguing about VAR decisions and Barca were denied a stone wall penalty by it tonight. The players make mistakes and so do refs and linesmen and that's fine as human error is a part of the game that contributes to it being so great.
Down with VAR !

It still gets more decisions right than wrong which is the whole point.

I am not sure what people are expecting, VAR does not mean that every decision will now be correct and there are magic robots making the decisions.

It's still down the the referee at the end of the day and it's just another tool to help him, which it does. Not every decision will be perfect because it's still down to the guy on charge at the end of the day.

Down with VAR !

Agree with this. Where are the experts going on about “football at the top level has to be as close as possible to sunday league in the park” ?

We used to hear that all the time.

Down with VAR !
Barca are my 2nd team and I don't think it was a penalty. Rakitic wasn't in control of the ball and the defender cleared it, then caught Rakitic slightly as he follows through.

They only use VAR for game changing decisions so you never got more than 1 or to 2 reviews per game and when they do happen the wait adds a bit of tension/excitement. Quite good watching it on tv as you get a few replays whilst trying to decide what the ref will do. Might be a bit more frustrating for those at the game mind you.

The end of the Roma Porto extra time in the last round sums up VAR.

Porto got awarded a very soft penalty after a review then Roma didn't even get a review for a blatant handball that would have put them through.

You can't just say it's working because there was 1 right decision in a game. It needs to be used across the board and even then it's still a debate as to penalty or not. Offside and goal line should be the only thing to be decided by a video/technology. Just let the ref make the other decisions on the pitch.

Agree with this. Where are the experts going on about “football at the top level has to be as close as possible to sunday league in the park” ?

We used to hear that all the time.

Should they do away with goal line technology as well?

I disagree and agree with you. In the first instance I would say it was not a penalty as there was nothing he could have done to get his arm out of the way. However as you say with taking into consideration some of the VAR penalties given for ball to hand recently then what actually is the criteria?

A later camera view confirmed it hit him on the body, not a handball. Johnathan Pierce was totally embarrassed by it.

A lot of people including myself have been embarrassed by VAR , it’s a simply fantastic development in our game and long overdue .

It’s not perfect but the amount of decisions I’ve seen recently where it gets the decisions right after the ref got it wrong initially proves it’s worth .

I disagree and agree with you. In the first instance I would say it was not a penalty as there was nothing he could have done to get his arm out of the way. However as you say with taking into consideration some of the VAR penalties given for ball to hand recently then what actually is the criteria?

I think they'll need to go over the rules and make changes. Although I'm not sure if the rules are actually fine as they are, but they're just being misinterpreted?

I always thought the rule was if it was a deliberate hand ball or you were making your body bigger/arms in an unnatural position?

It seems when they review VAR they just look to see if the ball contacts the hand though.

Happened in the WC with Portugal vs Iran. Never a penalty because the ball hit the guys arm from such a close distance - but when replays slow things down it obviously looks worse.

It doesn’t work consistently or smoothly, it slows the game down and should be ditched. Trying to take away the talking points leaves you with no more than one of those computer games. The old adage of don’t fix what ain’t broken comes to mind.

The main issue for me is what it does to the game for supporters. They are checking every single goal to see if anything happened in the build up even if it happened about a minute before. Its taking away the joy of scoring a goal. Think about it, your team get the match winner in the 90th minute but you dont know if the goal is going to be given for a full 3 minutes so you cant even properly celebrate that desperately needs fixed.

The main issue for me is what it does to the game for supporters. They are checking every single goal to see if anything happened in the build up even if it happened about a minute before. Its taking away the joy of scoring a goal. Think about it, your team get the match winner in the 90th minute but you dont know if the goal is going to be given for a full 3 minutes so you cant even properly celebrate that desperately needs fixed.

Reminds me of the houston dynamo game on Saturday there. Boy hit the post with a penalty, ball came right back to him and (nae idea why but) he sticks it in the other corner, cue evercant jumping about and me trying to tell them all that it wasn’t a goal. Once the scoreboard had been reset to 0-0 i hear folks telling each other “i think it was offside” :)

It doesn’t work consistently or smoothly, it slows the game down and should be ditched. Trying to take away the talking points leaves you with no more than one of those computer games. The old adage of don’t fix what ain’t broken comes to mind.

Well that's the issue. It was broken.

How many teams have lost leagues and finals etc due to the wrong decisions?

Anything that improves the chance of making the correct decision should be welcomed.

Well that's the issue. It was broken.

How many teams have lost leagues and finals etc due to the wrong decisions?

Anything that improves the chance of making the correct decision should be welcomed.

Not at the expense of spoiling the game and that’s exactly what’s happening. Players running around making wee telly signs with their gloved hands. FFS ! Honestly I don’t mind the ‘we wuz robbed’ or ‘who wuz the bloody ref’ excuse. Part of why the game is so great.
Anyway the Prem has it next year so I’ll be closely following the Championship.

I know it’s been about for a year or so now and I’m not really the biggest fan. What I will say though is that any VAR decision should have nothing to do with the ref on the pitch.

If it’s taken out of his hands then we don’t have players begging for reviews & we then don’t have managers etc trying to influence him at the sidelines.

Just mike him up like the NFL to explain the decision

Hate it. VAR is supposed to remove any uncertainty - it doesn’t. Decisions will always be open to interpretation. Now it just means we have daft delays, impacting on celebrations.

Football wasn’t broken. It didn’t need this.

Who will be the VAR(hole) in spfl when Celtic decide they want it.

Craig "timmy" Thomson
Charlie "the cheat" Richmond
Stevie "bhoy" Conroy.

Davie Provo, 4 priests, Peter Mcguire, John fae Provanmill.

Not at the expense of spoiling the game and that’s exactly what’s happening. Players running around making wee telly signs with their gloved hands. FFS ! Honestly I don’t mind the ‘we wuz robbed’ or ‘who wuz the bloody ref’ excuse. Part of why the game is so great.
Anyway the Prem has it next year so I’ll be closely following the Championship.

So you won't watch football because it has VAR? Odd.

Won’t watching that league as much not football overall. To be honest it’s been getting on ma tits for a while now. Added to that Arlo and that fanny Lee Dickson. Arrrrrghhh

I don't like the new definition of handball, and I don't like how long seemingly simple decisions take.
But the bottom line is it massively reduces big games being decided by wrong decisions.

Must admit VAR pisses me off a lot especially the time it takes but last night and tonight they got it spot on. I was screaming at the tv when the ref took 3 minutes to decide to give Liverpool's goal. I was convinced it was about 2 yards off. It wasn't. As for the city spurs game, well you cant count your chickens these days.

That's the point that kills the argument.
At the end of the game, the match ref is the one that ultimately blows the whistle and decides all the decisions.
The way it should be.

I don't like the new definition of handball, and I don't like how long seemingly simple decisions take.
But the bottom line is it massively reduces big games being decided by wrong decisions.
If you accidentally kick it into your own net it's still an OG, so accidentally stopping a goal bound shot with your hand should be a penalty in my view. All about opinions though.

Would think it could help massively here assuming proper arrangements can be put in place to ensure it is operated honestly and transparently.

I thought hand ball for Spurs and offside for the second. I think they are going to kill the game though. City have seen their team score the winner, all celebrate and then it is disallowed.

If you accidentally kick it into your own net it's still an OG, so accidentally stopping a goal bound shot with your hand should be a penalty in my view. All about opinions though.

Only if your arm is in an unnatural position otherwise how is that fair? If your arm is tucked into your body and the ball happens to hit it the player shouldn't be penalised.

I don’t like it.

I just think its going to take a bit of getting used to.

If it wasn't for VAR Manchester City would wrongly be in the draw for the Champions League Semi Final. It's incidents like tonight that have made me come round to the idea of it.

I thought hand ball for Spurs and offside for the second. I think they are going to kill the game though. City have seen their team score the winner, all celebrate and then it is disallowed.

If it wasn’t for VAR Spurs would now be out of the CL due to an incorrect decision being made.

We can talk about the ‘flow’ of a game but surely correct decisions matter more than anything else?

Would you be content for Rangers to be unjustly knocked out of a cup or losing the title due to the absence of VAR?

No one likes getting beat but when VAR shows you have been beaten fairly then it lessens the pain somewhat.

There’s nothing worse in professional sport than cheating and injustice.

If it wasn’t for VAR Spurs would now be out of the CL due to an incorrect decision being made.

We can talk about the ‘flow’ of a game but surely correct decisions matter more than anything else?

Would you be content for Rangers to be unjustly knocked out of a cup or losing the title due to the absence of VAR?

No one likes getting beat but when VAR shows you have been beaten fairly then it lessens the pain somewhat.

There’s nothing worse in professional sport than cheating and injustice.

And imagine being in that Spurs end after the decision was made!

Back