Varane to Man United

der_hammer10

Raphael Varane close to joining Man United from Real Madrid. £34m rising to £42m for a 28 year old who has won 3 La Liga titles, 4 Champions Leagues, and isn’t going to be far away from 100 French caps having won a World Cup.

Especially when he is going to replace that diddy Lindelof, that’s a fantastic bit of business. Especially when you compare it to Arsenal dishing out £50m on a guy that excels on going out on loan to other clubs.

Strange Madrid wanted rid of him, not many top quality centre half’s with his pace. You’re right, great deal for Utd, they’ll be paying him plenty though.

That’s some signing, they are genuine contenders again next season.
Which is a shame.
But on paper, next season looking to be absolutely brilliant down there, probably end up being a damp squib though

Great signing for Man Utd, add in Sancho all they need to add is a top class st and they will be a very decent side next season.

Man Utd are a right back and CM away from being genuine challengers again. Sancho and Varane are 2 quality signings

You’d think he’d compliment Maguire well but he was poor for Madrid last season when Ramos was missing

Raphael Varane close to joining Man United from Real Madrid. £34m rising to £42m for a 28 year old who has won 3 La Liga titles, 4 Champions Leagues, and isn’t going to be far away from 100 French caps having won a World Cup.

Especially when he is going to replace that diddy Lindelof, that’s a fantastic bit of business. Especially when you compare it to Arsenal dishing out £50m on a guy that excels on going out on loan to other clubs.
I've always rated Varane since he burst on the scene about 9 or 10 years ago. I haven't seen much of him in the last few years as I haven't watched LaLiga. Will be interesting to see how he does in England.

Both signings suit their clubs, Utd are going for trophies this season and need a top class centre half, Arsenal are building up to complete with younger players and have signed a guy who can be their CH for the next 10 years.

They're a Martial and Fred upgrade away from being proper contenders for me. Can see them finishing third behind Chelsea and City this year.

Strange that they're signing top players but sticking with the Norwegian Murty.

TalkSport were actually saying last week that they should sign Ben White instead because he has Premier League experience.

Varane to have a nightmare at United

Sancho to fail

Ole to stay forever

Only one of them is wrong in my opinion

%^*& Man U

Briliant signing, he is a top defender, and now with Maguire, Varane, Lindlof and Bailly they have great depth.
I would certainly sell Pogba and Matial and push the boat out for a box to box midfielder , i dont think McTominay is good enough to play everyweek.

On paper uniteds squad is horrifying. Pace everywhere too and class.

Actually playing as a team is a different matter

Briliant signing, he is a top defender, and now with Maguire, Varane, Lindlof and Bailly they have great depth.
I would certainly sell Pogba and Matial and push the boat out for a box to box midfielder , i dont think McTominay is good enough to play everyweek.
They already have Donny van de Beek but don't seem to use him effectively

United have done great this window, but under that fraud they will still win nothing.

Wonder if they'll stop trying to play as a counter-attacking side now? Surely they've got enough quality to be dominating teams and setting the tempo rather than just reacting to what the opposition does.

Man U Squad is taking shape nicely.

GK

Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Varane
Shaw

McTominay
Fernandes
Pogba

Rashford
Cavani
Sancho

pretty impressive starting 11 they have now with some real quality from the bench as well - greenwood / martial (if hes still there) / van de beek etc

Last edited:
Genuinely think this is a great signing. CB with pace for lower price.

I read in the thread questioning the price, he is out of contract next season and was demanding huge wages. Real, like Barca, are under increased pressure to cut their wage bill due to financial loss caused by COVID.

Its some list of players who are all out of contact next summer, Ronaldo, Pogba, Dybla etc, Varane may be the first in significantly lower prices for players of that ability level.

Need better than McTominay and a long term replacement for Cavani.

Pogba plays his best with Kante next to him but that ain’t happening B-D

I read Real had to pay his previous club their cut of the deal before Man United would sign him. Obviously they wanted to get some money for him and it's a good deal for United on paper.

Not often Real or Barca sell first team players to the EPL so maybe a sign of the times.

GK

Wan-Bissaka
McGuire
Varane
Shaw

McTominey
Fernandes
Pogba

Rashford
Cavani
Sancho

pretty impressive starting 11 they have now with some real quality from the bench as well - greenwood / martial (if hes still there) / van de beek etc
McGuire and McTominey don't play at Manchester United.

They finished 2nd, 12 points behind City last season.

They have significantly improved their squad already.

City remain hot favourites to retain the title but it isn't outlandish to think Man Utd could do it.

With the squad they should but I'm not having Solskjaer at all, as soon as they look on the cusp of doing something the bottle goes.

Still need better centre mid options (personally I'd cash in on Pogba as just don't think he suits how Man U play).

Also a top class no.9. Cavani is at the tail end of his career & they don't have anyone off the bench who really fits that central striker role

Obviously the manager is a weakness

Good signing for them. Going to their friendly against Everton in a couple weeks, so hopefully he's playing in that.

Their squad is looking good. If they can offload Pogba and upgrade on Rashford/Martial they'll be looking great.

Back