Very promising about Ofoborh from ex-Aberdeen player Grimmer

bloodandfire

OFO LONG WAY

Rangers news: Nnamdi Ofoborh will flourish at Ibrox after sealing pre-contract move, says ex-Aberdeen kid​

• Fraser Mackie
  • 25 Jan 2021, 9:39
  • Updated: 25 Jan 2021, 9:42
JACK GRIMMER saw Nnamdi Ofoborh mature from being a raw kid at Wycombe to a winner at Wembley.
They were team-mates as the Chairboys battled their way to the Championship after a play-off victory.
⚠️ Read our Scottish transfer live blog for the latest news & gossip
Nnamdi Ofoborh in action for Bournemouth
Nnamdi Ofoborh in action for BournemouthCredit: Getty Images - Getty
And now that Ofoborh has clinched a move to Rangers, ex-Aberdeen star Grimmer only expects the 21-year-old’s rapid improvement to continue.
Gers sealed a pre-contract with Ofoborh and could reach an agreement with Bournemouth on a transfer this month.
Grimmer’s ex-Dons pal Ryan Jack is just one player in an all-star Ibrox midfield capable of helping Ofoborh flourish and realise his full potential.
And Grimmer reckons the 6ft 3in Nigerian will walk tall in that kind of company.
Jack Grimmer in action for Wycombe
Jack Grimmer in action for WycombeCredit: Getty Images - Getty
He said: “Rangers have some great central midfielders. Going into that group, I can only see Nnamdi developing in the way a lot of us know he can.
“Obviously Rangers were keen on him because he has so much potential.
“It will be great for Nnamdi having Jacko there. I can see them working well together.
“Jacko came through as a kid at Aberdeen and had the pressure of being captain. He went to Rangers at a relatively young age, too, so I think he’s a good voice for Nnamdi to listen to.
“So will Steven Davis, who’s been there and done it and had a great career.
Ofoborh played with Grimmer on loan
Ofoborh played with Grimmer on loanCredit: Getty Images - Getty
“In terms of a comparison for Rangers fans, Nnamdi is a bit like Glen Kamara. He can drift and pass and get around the pitch with that calmness.
“He can glide past people and also find that zipped pass. He’s got a lot of range.
“He could be a very shrewd signing for Rangers. He’s got a great physical presence because he’s a good size and build.
“He’s got an engine to get around and make tackles. But he gets his foot on the ball at the right times for the team.”
Ex-Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe added Ofoborh to his first-team squad at the start of last season before sending him on loan to Wycombe.

League One was the learning curve he needed before emerging as one of Gareth Ainsworth’s unlikely heroes.
He scored in a semi-final drubbing of Fleetwood then starred at Wembley in the win over Oxford.
Former Scotland Under-21 star Grimmer added: “Nnamdi is a lovely, humble lad who wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his all in every performance.
“He was sent off early in his Wycombe career and felt he had let the team down.

CHERRY PICKER Rangers land Bournemouth star Nnamdi Ofoborh on pre-contract deal with 21-year-old set for summer move

“I told him, ‘You’re going to have many moments to learn from. It’s just about how you come back from them’.
“He managed to do that well and came in for the play-offs and played out of his skin.
“At that young age he really stepped up to the plate for those important games. He’ll have a lot of that to do at Rangers because every game they play has added pressure.
“But he matured as a footballer and man with us and thanked us for that when he left.”

Looks like a promising signing. Does this mean we will not take up the option on Zungu ?
I think the fact that Zungu has not managed to start any League game in the absence of both Jack & Arfield would suggest that he won't be here long term.

I may be wrong on that score obviously but surely a start against Ross County wouldn't be beyond him, if they felt he was good enough?

Think we should try sign all these guys in Jan, it’ll give them the experience of what it’s like to lift the league which in the long run will benefit all parties.

6'3"? Most profiles I have read quote 5"9".
I Google image searched him because of that. There’s no way he’s 5’9 if you scroll through the images, looking at his build and height and compare him to other guys in the photos with him.

As you said most profiles have him down as 5’9 which is strange.

I Google image searched him because of that. There’s no way he’s 5’9 if you scroll through the images, looking at his build and height and compare him to other guys in the photos with him.

As you said most profiles have him down as 5’9 which is strange.
As long as he can play, that's the most important issue.

I think the fact that Zungu has not managed to start any League game in the absence of both Jack & Arfield would suggest that he won't be here long term.

I may be wrong on that score obviously but surely a start against Ross County wouldn't be beyond him, if they felt he was good enough?

Itten isn't starting many league games either but I've no doubt he has a big future with us.

The management team seem happy to give the new players time to bed in.

Off topic slightly, Jack Grimmer was incredible in football manager & my successful tenure in the recent additions haven’t seen pick up these two!.

Itten isn't starting many league games either but I've no doubt he has a big future with us.

The management team seem happy to give the new players time to bed in.
It's a fair point and comparison. However Itten has started games and contributed/influenced games when coming off the bench.

I'm not sure the same can be said for Zungu.

Also, Zungu is 28 whereas Itten, whist not a youngster is only 24. I'd have thought a player of Zungu's age would be able to push his way on to the starting line up regularly by now.

If he stays, I'm happy to be proved wrong but I din't see it unfortunately.

At 2/3m I’d hope so Ark.

He undoubtedly has ability, but I’d rather spend that cash elsewhere as it’s a lot of cash for us.

We could easily get 2/3 OOC players, including their signing on fees, for that imo.
I'm still toying with what I think might happen with him.
Maybe its his age that makes folk apprehensive, if he was 23 we'd all say we've seen enough of his attributes to think he could be an important player as Arfield and Davis get older. I personally can't see this young lad bedding in any quicker than a well travelled experienced International?
We'll undoubtedly be paying a decent chunk in agent/signing on fee similar to Aribo for the young lad to take a season to be trusted with our tactics and make his mark as a regular so we need to weigh up if Zungu can hit the ground running come July because at £2m it could still be a bargain

Best players playing every week, 55 is too important

Do we think this puts an end to Zungu joining permanently?
Not necessarily. Our midfield could be in a state of real flux next season.

I doubt they'll expect Ofoborh to play too often in his first season whist you'd expect Davis and Arfield to have their workload reduced (assuming Davis stays another season). Add Jack's ongoing knee issue and there are alot of midfield appearances up for grabs whilst we manage the strain on those guys.

If Kamara plays as expected at the Euros there will also be possibility of really big offers for him.

Under those circumstances at least one other known commodity has got to have an appeal.

I'm still toying with what I think might happen with him.
Maybe its his age that makes folk apprehensive, if he was 23 we'd all say we've seen enough of his attributes to think he could be an important player as Arfield and Davis get older. I personally can't see this young lad bedding in any quicker than a well travelled experienced International?
We'll undoubtedly be paying a decent chunk in agent/signing on fee similar to Aribo for the young lad to take a season to be trusted with our tactics and make his mark as a regular so we need to weigh up if Zungu can hit the ground running come July because at £2m it could still be a bargain

Id rather judge these guys in tough away games, because at Ibrox we are pretty much roasting teams Ark.

Would I be comfortable with Zungu starting at ER on Wednesday ? I’m not sure I would, due to the frenetic, sometimes barbarian, stuff he would need to cope with.

Perversely, I’d be much more comfortable with him starting against Royal Antwerp.

Unless he can show more in his remaining time then I don’t see us paying the money quoted.

A good reason for try before you buy.
What have you seen that makes you think he's not of the required standard? We could have brought in a £10m valued loan and they'd struggle for starts over immense quality in our midfield 5 and who have played our system for 2 years.
There's definitely an element of trust when he's brought on to shore up games and his ability shown when he takes the ball in tight areas and be positive, evident in the Jack goal.
I think the best point is made by Grigo in saying he'd have less doubts in him Vs Antwerp than away getting kicked at Easter Road Wednesday.

It's an interesting one and I think some might be writing him off like he's a Coulibaly who clearly couldn't cut it. Perhaps the £2m would be better spent in paying Lundstram £40k per week but would he regularly start?

Glad I'm not Wilson!

Ent Unless he can show more in his remaining time then I don’t see us paying the money quoted.

A good reason for try before you buy.
agree with both points. I still think we might buy Zungu but at a significantly reduced price, Covid will have driven down prices generally and who else are they going to find to buy him when he hasn’t been a starter never mind putting in MOTM performances that make scouts sit up and take notice. There is talent there though

Zungu seems to play the Davis role in the middle of the 3 or not at all really. Even when he's come on WITH Davis he has taken over the central position and Davis has moved to the right.

It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't played the position that Jack and Arfield do because he's not that type of player and Gerrard must not think he has the attributes/knowledge to play it. There is a helluva lot of responsibility that those two positions either side of Davis have. It's not a case of "he's a centre mid just stick him in there".

Zungu, for me, has shown potential. It's no wonder he is struggling for game time with Davis playing the way he is. Doesn't make him not up to it. When he has played has he played particularly badly? I'd argue no. He's shown glimpses of quality in the few minutes he's had.

Nnamdi, from what i'm reading, seems like a Kamara replacement/back-up. Aribo seems much more effective further forward.

Last edited:

Zungu looks fine but at 2 or 3 million at 28 years of age then that could be an issue.
Could be down to any players that are sold.
Arfields contract expires in 2022 and Davis may get an extension to then.

I think Zungu was brought in as cover regardless. Jacks injuries and a potential for Davis not to hit the heights was entirely possible back in August. This season's squad needed plenty cover. There is going to be a turnover and trimming in the summer regardless.

I don't know if he is under instruction to play it safe or its taking him time to get used to our style of play but Zungu looks to play within himself every time he gets the ball.

Granted he's not had much game time to build his confidence but when he made his debut and the first thing he did was ping a beautiful diagonal out wide right, I thought here we go, this boy can play.

I reckon he probably just needs a bit of regular game time .... the question is .... will he get the opportunity now Jacko is back

Think we should try sign all these guys in Jan, it’ll give them the experience of what it’s like to lift the league which in the long run will benefit all parties.
I’m not so sure they’re first team/squad level yet

Id rather judge these guys in tough away games, because at Ibrox we are pretty much roasting teams Ark.

Would I be comfortable with Zungu starting at ER on Wednesday ? I’m not sure I would, due to the frenetic, sometimes barbarian, stuff he would need to cope with.

Perversely, I’d be much more comfortable with him starting against Royal Antwerp.
I think the problem is he's a bit to relaxed on the ball and tends to want a lot of time on it that's more suited to a Spainish or Italian team imo doesn't suit the Scottish game but European games he can get that time on the ball Lech Poznan has been his best game for us so far

Good read. When you hear a player is a midfielder who can play centre back and is a unit you tend to think he's going to be an athletic but technically limited type. Glad to read he's much more elegant a player as he will fit in well.

A bit like Kamara? That's just good, sensible forward planning. Good stuff all round.

Back