Victims lawyer urges Celtic to set millions aside

I honestly see huge problems ahead in trying to get a judicial review. The ruling party are incompetent and hugely pro Celtic, as are the football authorities, and most journalists.

Sadly that is my thoughts as well.

They have got away with it for decades and with our current justice minister cannot see a judicial review.

Sun Headline

KITMAN PLEA Ex-Celtic kitman Jim McCafferty pleads guilty to string of historic sex attacks on young boys
The charges included 15 counts of indecently assaulting a child under 16 and four charges of lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour towards children

The former player who spoke to Sky News described how the ex-coach used to run an under-12s team.

He told of how McCafferty asked him to help train the kids which included a weekend trip to Manchester.

"Afterwards the strangest thing happened. We all got back in the mini bus and McCafferty said, 'I am going to take you to see a friend of mine.' We drove from Manchester to Crewe and I thought, 'Why are we going to Crewe?'

"It was Barry Bennell who we met, he introduced us to him."

I'm lost for words. Vile.

I've seen rumours of a link to Bennell and it was clear as day that it was likely given the scale of what went on at Celtic and everything Bennell was up to.

It's a massive story and there are people protecting their name to this day.

Saville's got links to a number of people in this as well.

https://news.sky.com/story/jim-mcca...s-sexually-abusing-young-footballers-11719674

A former Celtic youth coach has been jailed for nearly seven years after pleading guilty to 12 charges of sexually abusing young footballers.
Jim McCafferty, 72, admitted a series of sexual offences between the 1970s and 1990s at the High Court in Edinburgh and was sentenced to six years and nine months.

The convicted paedophile's links with Celtic were more than 20 years ago. He also worked at Hibernian and was well known as a youth coach with boys' clubs in Scotland.
One former player, who was abused by McCafferty when he was just 14, told Sky News: "I was devastated, frightened and scared.
"I started drinking, even at that age, and I dreamed of being a footballer.

"I was drinking just to get to sleep at night. I used to always remember buying a quarter bottle of vodka and a bottle of Irn Bru.
"I would be up to the bedroom drinking that, just to get to sleep at night, to try and blur out what I had been through."
The man, whose identity is protected under the law, described how McCafferty had used his reputation as a successful coach and the promise of a career in the game to groom him.
The abuse took place on quiet country roads on the way back from matches.
"I would always fight him off, I would always try and fight him off, but bearing in mind at that time he must have been 19 or 20 stone, and a huge frame of a man, it was difficult."
The man, who is now in his 50s, said he hopes that McCafferty never sees the outside of a prison cell again, but a lot more needs to happen.
McCafferty is the fourth former coach associated with Celtic Football Club or Celtic Boys Club to be convicted of child sex abuse in recent months.
Last November, Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett was jailed for six months. Another coach, teacher Gerald King, was convicted of abusing boys at a school.
In February, a former manager of Celtic Boys Club, Frank Cairney, was jailed for four years after being convicted of nine charges of sexually abusing young players.
After the earlier convictions, Celtic Football Club expressed "deep regret" for the victims, but said Celtic Boys Club was a separate entity.
"Although Celtic Football Club is an entirely separate organisation to Celtic Boys Club, we wish to express our deep regret that these incidents took place, as well as our sympathy for the victims who suffered abuse."
Lawyers for the victims are pursuing both Celtic and the SFA for compensation.
Patrick McGuire, a partner at Thompsons Solicitors, said, "With McCafferty today pleading guilty and being convicted of abuse it shows and puts beyond any doubt that the level of abuse that took place in a general Celtic football setting was absolutely prolific, it was horrific."
Police have also investigated the relationship between McCafferty and former Crewe Alexandra coach Barry Bennell, who repeatedly abused young boys in his care.

The former player who spoke to Sky News described how the ex-coach used to run an under-12s team.
He told of how McCafferty asked him to help train the kids which included a weekend trip to Manchester.
"Afterwards the strangest thing happened. We all got back in the mini bus and McCafferty said, 'I am going to take you to see a friend of mine.' We drove from Manchester to Crewe and I thought, 'Why are we going to Crewe?'
"It was Barry Bennell who we met, he introduced us to him."
Mr McGuire added: "Two prolific paedophiles working together is beyond any form of coincidence. To my mind this has to represent some form of footballing paedophile ring.
"What we don't know yet is the level of abuse that Scottish survivors suffered at the hands of Barry Bennell, but I wouldn't be surprised if more people come forward in the weeks and months ahead."
The victims' lawyers want to see a judge-led inquiry into what they regard as the biggest abuse scandal in British sport.

Article written by Andrew McFadyen. Is he not the same guy that’s been posting nonsense on Twitter about the sectarianism that RC’s face and who used an article about Stein to have a pop at us? No complaint re this article but he is definitely worth the watching

He chose his victims, all boys, from the various youth football teams he managed in North Lanarkshire, from Celtic Boys Club and from Celtic FC's pro youth set up, where he coached and was kitman.

On twitter and they are using this as proof that Celtic boys club is a separate entity.

With that sentence today cannot see the poor victims ever getting justice.

I really hope I am wrong.

Exactly. What are people expecting to happen

Enough claims to bankrupt them. Highly unlikely as they have plenty money in the bank from 8 years no competition and access to Europe

Govt to shut them down or a public enquiry - aye take away a large number of the snp vote- never gonna happen

The sfa to punish them - they have people on the sfa board and no media push for action. I honestly expect the sfa to ignore it. Complete opposite of title striping campaign
A 5 way agreement? Surely that’s what happens isn’t it?

He chose his victims, all boys, from the various youth football teams he managed in North Lanarkshire, from Celtic Boys Club and from Celtic FC's pro youth set up, where he coached and was kitman.

On twitter and they are using this as proof that Celtic boys club is a separate entity.

patrick mcguire thinks otherwise

"He chose his victims, all boys, from the various youth football teams he managed in North Lanarkshire, from Celtic Boys Club and from Celtic FC's pro youth set up, where he coached and was kitman."

A clear distinction is being made between club and CBC. Could be reading into it too much, but I think this is an indication of what the manky mob's lawyers have been enforcing behind the scenes.

"One particular attack… he was on top of me, pressing me against the wall… physically abusing me.

"I was shaking, it's almost like freezing, a numbness comes over you that the sense of, is this real? Is this happening to me? What do you do here? It's like a bad dream where you don't have the power of your own muscles."

Craig said he arrived home from school a few days later and McCafferty was sitting in his living room, speaking to his parents.

He told them Craig was on Celtic's radar, but had been missing training.

"My father was proud and puffed up by that, and was telling me that I had to get over myself and get back... so I did."

6 years for this sick, twisted cúnt is utterly shameful. He was even manipulating the parents.

Celtic first team was always the carrot they used to dangle infront of these poor boys.

I've seen rumours of a link to Bennell and it was clear as day that it was likely given the scale of what went on at Celtic and everything Bennell was up to.

It's a massive story and there are people protecting their name to this day.

Saville's got links to a number of people in this as well.

There was a piece on Sky news online connecting the two.

One of the saddest and most upsetting aspects is that - joking aside - most of us do know some of them. Maybe not close friends but we know them. And not one has ever cared about this despite knowing...in fact they only care about getting caught. It is a weird, creepy, feeling to know that friends, colleagues etc knew and thought only of their club avoiding justice. Burt, McSherry etc were ostricised, and cast out in fact...there were no calls for justice, the truth or even an enquiry. People say "They're like us but with green scarves..." but I really doubt that.
People say I'm out of order or chuck in the 'bigot' insult when I say I don't keep sellick fans as friends.
Anyone who supports a paedophile ring is no friend of mine.
This story broke in April 1994, in the 25 years since I've never met any sellick fan who condemns their vile history.
I'd wager not one poster on here can claim they have either.

If they don't condemn it, they condone it.

One of the saddest and most upsetting aspects is that - joking aside - most of us do know some of them. Maybe not close friends but we know them. And not one has ever cared about this despite knowing...in fact they only care about getting caught. It is a weird, creepy, feeling to know that friends, colleagues etc knew and thought only of their club avoiding justice. Burt, McSherry etc were ostricised, and cast out in fact...there were no calls for justice, the truth or even an enquiry. People say "They're like us but with green scarves..." but I really doubt that.
Some actually hope that we have had abused kids so they can say see you are just as bad.
Just think about that for a minute they actually want other kids to have been abused. They really are a bunch of creepy weirdos.

He abused kids on Celtic property , training ground and Celtic park . So how can that be the case ?

People say I'm out of order or chuck in the 'bigot' insult when I say I don't keep sellick fans as friends.
This story broke in April 1994, in the 25 years since I've never met any sellick fan who condemns their vile history.

Absolutely. If this was Rangers I wouldn't be back. How can anyone support an organisation that has knowingly aided and abetted child abusers over so many years.

It's fucking shameful.

The poison that lot have brought to our city and our country over the decades is shameful. They are a disgrace to our society. And their club trying to distance themselves is even more shameful. It states there were complaints from professional players. Ffs how many know? Our British government have to take steps now for a full scale inquiry into this poison because I’m betting there are more who knew and even more paedos to be unmasked. Let’s see what you’ve got to say now sturgeon?

How do we know it isn’t still going on now given they have a culture of tolerating child abuse?

Without a full independent inquiry we’ll never know or be able to trust that the full truth is ever known.

Patrick McGuire, of Thompsons Solicitors, is representing some of McCafferty's victims in civil cases.

He called for action from Celtic Football Club.

"McCafferty's connection with Celtic is now utterly undeniable," he said.

"We now know that some of the abuse took place in Celtic premises. What he did was groom the boys but at the same time groom the parents, always with Celtic dangling on the end of a stick as a golden carrot. It's just utterly unforgivable.

"McCafferty's conviction is probably the last conviction that we'll see in a Celtic setting. But what's never happened is any form of financial justice for the survivors of abuse at Celtic Park and that's why now all eyes are on the board of Celtic Football Club to do the right thing."

Headline news on talksport
Mentioned something like the 4th conviction in recent months...the wheels are turning for the victims to be looked after, there must be no turning place. Now I don't live in Manchester but the negative press seems minimal for their employee paedophile conviction, might be something to do with admitting liability, heartfelt apology, fund setup for compensation and placing preventative measures when working with Authorities to make our children safe...the differences are reprehensible and as much as I expect nothing less from that lot my hear bleeds for those victims and surviving families and my anger is purely reserved for our Government and complicit media

BBC article not pulling many punches – hinting it something larger going on.

How do we know it isn’t still going on now given they have a culture of tolerating child abuse?

Without a full independent inquiry we’ll never know or be able to trust that the full truth is ever known.

The snp will never sanction a public inquiry. It would harm there independence vote group. Labour and Tory’s would need every msp to vote for it to overrule the snp. I can’t see anything coming from the Scottish govt and haven’t since they decided to hold an enquiry but exclude the two areas with the most evidence against. The church and sporting clubs. Why should any area of society be excluded from a enquiry like that. The British govt can’t hold one due to devolved powers maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see one every happening

Patrick McGuire, of Thompsons Solicitors, is representing some of McCafferty's victims in civil cases.
"McCafferty's conviction is probably the last conviction that we'll see in a Celtic setting. But what's never happened is any form of financial justice for the survivors of abuse at Celtic Park and that's why now all eyes are on the board of Celtic Football Club to do the right thing."

I very much doubt Patrick would be betting much of a stake on that particular prediction.

I very much doubt Patrick would be betting much of a stake on that particular prediction.

The trials are over

It’s time for the lawyers to file actions
The sfa and govt to seek action
The media to demand it and documentary’s to be aired

Very little if any of the above will actusl happen

It was the top story on BBC news Scotland. (Not mentioned at all on main national news) The top story got about 2 minutes, Billy McNeils funeral got 10 minutes minimum last week.

"We now know that some of the abuse took place in Celtic premises. What he did was groom the boys but at the same time groom the parents, always with Celtic dangling on the end of a stick as a golden carrot. It's just utterly unforgivable.

I wonder if they lawyers will start pushing the line that numerous Celtic employees knew about all of this and failed to act.

McNeill, Burns, Stein and a number of directors were aware of this and failed to report a bit of it to the authorities. At what point do they (although death might have saved them personally) become responsible for failing to act and therefore Celtic too as their employers?

Last edited:
Now this is evidence that we all thought was going on

Torbett
Cairney
Strachan
King
Cullen
McCafferty

Jimmy Savile and visits to CFC and Kilsyth priests

Barry Bennell and tournaments

Priests all over CFC

Fairbridge charity and McCafferty and Torbett involvement

It screams of organised Paedo ring and not one journalist is joining the f.ucking dots here

A public enquiry is required to find the truth

Don't forget the cardinal pictured with Saville...A fu(king Cardinal, all associated with one club in the same era.

No ring...No sir-ree !

The reporting now is leaving no doubt that there was a paedophile ring in operation:

"The links between McCafferty and Bennell, and McCafferty and Torbett, now look clearly established."

Patrick McGuire of Thompsons Solicitors, who is representing some of McCafferty's victims in civil cases, said it was known that the three men interacted at different points.

"McCafferty introduced boys to Torbett, to Bennell, and to my mind, therefore, it begs one question.

"There's certainly no doubt whatsoever that this was more than related to football, that they were working in some sort of concert and that this was about the abuse of young men," he said.

Mr McGuire said: "McCafferty's connection with Celtic is now utterly undeniable.

"We now know that some of the abuse took place in Celtic premises. What he did was groom the boys but at the same time groom the parents, always with Celtic dangling on the end of a stick as a golden carrot.

"It's just utterly unforgivable."

He said there had never been any "financial justice" for those abused at Celtic Park.

"That's why now all eyes are on the board of Celtic Football Club to do the right thing," he added.

They haven’t done the right thing for god knows how many years

I doubt they will now

It’ll have to be settled in court

And it will be David v Goliath

The church has a lot of experience that they can glean from

Hopefully not,there must be other names on the list and the spotlight should now be turned on the kellys,whites,whytes and liewell now for their part in enabling and subsequently covering up the abuse within their clubs and perverting the course of justice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3505864.stm

The images were actually found in a locker at parkhead used by the photographer, sickening to think what must have been going on there

Hopefully not,there must be other names on the list and the spotlight should now be turned on the kellys,whites,whytes and liewell now for their part in enabling and subsequently covering up the abuse within their clubs and perverting the course of justice.
There is no political will for anything to happen against them,,, there doesn't seem to be any legal motivation, the sfa and media are basically ignoring it,,, Modern day Scotland is just shite

Agree Chief.

Perfect mate ;)

Four paedophiles in the space of a year. There are even links there with paedophiles from other clubs with the story there about Bennell.

The fact that the pathetic football authorities and the politicians in this country are doing nothing about this is nothing short of a disgrace.

These poor guys have had to live with this for decades and the club who allowed it all to happen have not even said sorry for a single thing.

They should quite simply be kicked out of football for the crimes they have allowed to happen on their watch.

Back