Victims lawyer urges Celtic to set millions aside

If (and it's a big If) Celtic eventually do pay compensation to victims of sexual abuse at the Celtic Boys Club you can rest assured that compensation awards will be agreed at the 'court room door'. There will be no hearing of evidence in a court of law with the legal stipulation that Celtic accept no responsibility for what happened, and they will insist upon no further disclosure by those receiving compensation.

It is not beyond the realms of legal possibility that their Lawyers (who will be the best in that legal area) will still maintain that they were a separate entity to the Celtic Boys Club.

This is usually the manner in which compensation cases are agreed.

Last edited:
If Celtic eventually do pay compensation to victims of sexual abuse at the Celtic Boys Club you can rest assured that compensation amounts will be agreed at the 'court room door'. There will be no hearing of evidence in a court of law with the legal stipulation that Celtic accept no responsibility for what happened and they will insist upon no further disclosure by those receiving compensation.
This is usually the manner in which compensation cases are agreed. It goes without saying that they will have the best lawyers available to ensure this.

Absolutely disgusting

If Celtic eventually do pay compensation to victims of sexual abuse at the Celtic Boys Club you can rest assured that compensation amounts will be agreed at the 'court room door'. There will be no hearing of evidence in a court of law with the legal stipulation that Celtic accept no responsibility for what happened and they will insist upon no further disclosure by those receiving compensation.
This is usually the manner in which compensation cases are agreed. It goes without saying that they will have the best lawyers available to ensure this.
Agreed. A downright disgrace.

I think folk are getting way ahead of themselves here, I would be astonished if there are any repercussions for Celtic, they are protected, that much is painfully obvious.

We all know they are protected here , but not in a national sense . Also through the courts .

As soon as they pay , more will come forward .

Just have to hope one victim tells them to %^*& off and see them at court

If it drains their bank account then thats fine by me.

This is the last time Celtic or their advisors will see the internal side of a court room. The abused have been let down by a complicit government and by a football club the looked to in awe.

Sickening to think that as well as the kids abused at Celtic, some of these bheasts also had access to vulnerable kids too through their charities.

Doesn't bear thinking how many of those vulnerable kids will never have their voices heard and will never see justice.

But it won’t significantly. Infact if they were to make the champions league it prob wouldn’t even effect thrrr budgets
That's where UEFA should step in and tell the to f*ck off, they're not having their disgusting club in Europe's premier tournament.

Seriously why has no one ever connected the dots?

Celtic BC, Celtic FC, the trophy centre, the Fairbairn (is that the right name?) charity, the links with Barry Bennell, Saville etc.

There has to be a real push to make sure this doesn't happen. All victims groups, children's groups, women's groups, all right minded politicians (Scottish/British/European), all respectable media outlets, all footballing authorities should be contacted so they are aware of the extreme feelings of public anger. Victims should be supported and more encouraged to come forward.

Think if this was Rangers. We'd be getting absolutely hammered from all angles - sponsors would have been gotten at and deserted us - our stadium would have been vandalised with vile graffiti - former players and staff would have been hounded for comment and accused of being part of the cover up. We'd probably already have been suspended from the league.

Details of abuse would have freely discussed in public as it would be considered "a matter of public interest" - where have I heard that used before in 2012. We'd already have been tried and convicted in the media.

The lack of discussion & action regarding sexual abuse cases of minors is a disgrace in Scotland - there is absolutely no appetite to fight it - and I'm not just singling out celtic and the catholic church here - it goes for all scum bastards who abuse kids. Politicians in Scotland should be held accountable too for their turning a blind eye to this - they are blatantly part of the cover up.

There has to be a real push to make sure this doesn't happen. All victims groups, children's groups, women's groups, all right minded politicians (Scottish/British/European), all respectable media outlets, all footballing authorities should be contacted so they are aware of the extreme feelings of public anger. Victims should be supported and more encouraged to come forward.

Think if this was Rangers. We'd be getting absolutely hammered from all angles - sponsors would have been gotten at and deserted us - our stadium would have been vandalised with vile graffiti - former players and staff would have been hounded for comment and accused of being part of the cover up. We'd probably already have been suspended from the league.

Details of abuse would have freely discussed in public as it would be considered "a matter of public interest" - where have I heard that used before in 2012. We'd already have been tried and convicted in the media.

The lack of discussion & action regarding sexual abuse cases of minors is a disgrace in Scotland - there is absolutely no appetite to fight it - and I'm not just singling out celtic and the catholic church here - it goes for all scum bastards who abuse kids. Politicians in Scotland should be held accountable too for their turning a blind eye to this - they are blatantly part of the cover up.

Great post mate , as I’ve said before if this was us we would no longer be operating as a club .

There's also the question of whether Celtic have any insurance which would cover them against legal claims.

Don’t think insurance companies cover you for criminal negligence (if nothing more sinister) like getting a speeding ticket and trying to get your insurance to pay it

Just have to hope one victim tells them to %^*& off and see them at court

I hope so too. However, there will be enormous pressure from the abused victim's lawyers to them to settle out of court or risk receiving a much lower award. The lawyers on both sides will have it wrapped up before it reaches a court. Just proves that courts are about the law and not justice.

There's also the question of whether Celtic have any insurance which would cover them against legal claims.
Sick of seeing this.

You think they have pedo/crime insurance? Whos offering that?

I get there is liability insurance etc but nobody would pay out on negligence of this scale.

Celtic BC, Celtic FC, the trophy centre, the Fairbairn (is that the right name?) charity, the links with Barry Bennell, Saville etc.

Because no one wants to. Scotland has no investigative journalists left and the ones who come closest won't take on the Establishment team....or they won't work again.

Don’t think insurance companies cover you for criminal negligence (if nothing more sinister) like getting a speeding ticket and trying to get your insurance to pay it

It has been suggested that they might have insurance which covers civil claims. Like I said, it's a question, not something I know for sure.

If it drains their bank account then that's fine by me.

It's actually not fine with me.

I'd genuinely like to see them receive the deserved scorn from the entire world for the appalling way they've thwarted any attempts to have these terrible events dealt with sympathetically and justly. The money side of it is important, but having them admit to their culpability and to sincerely apologise to the poor victims of these events is equally important.

If this story was the other way round there fans would be everywhere. On the tv, on social media, on blogs etc not letting the story die. They would be vandalising our stadium. Pressuring the media, the govt, support groups. Yet we as a fan base just don’t have the appetite and they know it

Nothing on BBC Radio 5 live or Radio2 News just looked at the daily mail a zookeeper with one case of abuse and Elvis presley may have been a paedo as he had girlfriends aged 14 NOTHING re the CELTIC employee with 26 years of abuse Nothing in Glasgow teletext runs a story on Vodaphone?

Last edited:
I can’t see any insurance company covering this. You really would have to question that.

Bizarrely, where liability insurances are concerned, my understanding is that the company would need to have liability insurance in force at the time of the claim being submitted (not on the date the alleged claims events took place) and that that policy would need to cover the event upon which the claim is being raised.

So, if Separate Entity FC have an existing liability insurance in place now, it would need to be in force at the time of the claim being submitted against them. In addition, the policy would need to include liabilities arising from sexual assault of minors by club officials or employees, and the known possibility of any likely claims being submitted would need to have been disclosed at the time of the renewal of the policy.

Given that everyone and their dog is now aware that that lot have potential claims piling up against them, not to mention how unlikely it would be for an underwriter to even offer paedo cover, I think it most unlikely that they have insurance for this type of event at this moment of time.

Bizarrely, where liability insurances are concerned, my understanding is that the company would need to have liability insurance in force at the time of the claim being submitted (not on the date the alleged claims events took place) and that that policy would need to cover the event upon which the claim is being raised.

So, if Separate Entity FC have an existing liability insurance in place now, it would need to be in force at the time of the claim being submitted against them. In addition, the policy would need to include liabilities arising from sexual assault of minors by club officials or employees, and the known possibility of any likely claims being submitted would need to have been disclosed at the time of the renewal of the policy.

Given that everyone and their dog is now aware that that lot have potential claims piling up against them, not to mention how unlikely it would be for an underwriter to even offer paedo cover, I think it most unlikely that they have insurance for this type of event at this moment of time.
Indeed. A very good point.

You just couldn’t underwrite that.

Exactly. And as someone stated. Compensation for historic child abuse is capped at 10k a victim I think. Celtic know they can pay it. They are fighting because they fear the consequences of being guilty. The PR, anything the govt, SFA can do (however unlikely). For them this is brand protection not money which in itself is horrible but they think we might as well try Cos either way we have to pay the same amount unless they can work there seperate entity defence

Fairbridge was the company though freudian slip as judge Lord John McCluskey was a director and his mates Nicky Fairbairn QC and Robert Henderson QC were alleged nonces.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/raped-aged-4-scots-tory-4047789

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00176613/officers?page=2

Last edited:
Exactly. And as someone stated. Compensation for historic child abuse is capped at 10k a victim I think. Celtic know they can pay it. They are fighting because they fear the consequences of being guilty. The PR, anything the govt, SFA can do (however unlikely). For them this is brand protection not money which in itself is horrible but they think we might as well try Cos either way we have to pay the same amount unless they can work there seperate entity defence

is the cap not for criminal compensation that would be paid by the goverment

if the victims sued celtic directly them surely thee would be no cap

its not about how much or how little they will have to pay out, although it would be nice to see them getting hit for a fortune, the main thing here is their guilt being coerced from them only under duress they need to take responsibility and face the consequences, they will forever be known as the club who faciliated sexual abuse of minors in their care ,that is their history from now on in, but we must all play a part, they will try to forget all this and move on as if it never happened ,we as citizens of this country need to let them know that we will remind them of their actions (and lack of action) every day

Back