victims of abuse unite for justice

buckster9719

Football abuse survivors unite for justice.

Survivors and relatives of Scotland's football abuse scandal have joined forces - for the first time - to demand justice, compensation and apologies for the years of torment they have suffered.

Settle the Score (or another name if you prefer) has been formed to ensure that the voices of people who have been silent for far too long are finally heard.

Members of the group come from different parts of the country and have a variety of footballing affiliations.

Their goal is for ALL clubs in Scotland, along with the Scottish Football Association - which has overall authority for the safety and wellbeing of players - to finally accept responsibility for the horrendous sexual abuse that has scarred the lives of so many people.

A spokesman said:

"Up until a few weeks ago, none of us knew each other. What brought us together was the difficult decision, that each of us made separately, to break our silence and speak publicly about the abuse that we - and our loved ones - suffered. Alone and isolated no more, we have teamed up to speak with one voice to demand justice.

"Football is Scotland's national sport but the beautiful game has become tarnished by decades of abuse - and further soiled by concerted efforts to ensure that dark secrets remain firmly covered up and out of public view.

"For far too long powerful clubs and organisations have prioritised the protection of their reputations over and above their responsibility to do the right thing for vulnerable youngsters who were in their care.

"In Scotland, clubs and organisations have deflected and denied, spending considerable sums on lawyers, advisors and insurers with the goal of evading culpability and negative publicity. It doesn't have to be this way. South of the border, Manchester City and Chelsea have held their hands up, accepted responsibility and agreed to compensate and offer personal apologies to each and every person who suffered abuse in their name. If it can happen there then it must happen here too.

"This is not about Celtic against Rangers, or Hearts against Hibs. This is about right versus wrong Justice for Scotland's football abuse survivors will be postponed no longer. It is time to do the right thing. It's time to Settle the Score."

Settle the Score's spokespeople are:

Malcolm Rodger, a decorated former serviceman who served in with the Royal Engineers....

He said:

“I’ve had the privilege of serving in the military with some of the finest individuals anyone would care to meet, in parts of world that has seen war, civil unrest and famine. From joint experiences there was and still remains, a bond between us. An unspoken code of acknowledgement, that what we endured brought us so close together, it can never be taken away or forgotten”.

That same code means I can never walk away from my duty to ensure that justice for victims of sex abuse within Scottish football is achieved. The moral and ethical duty as well as the duty of care upon clubs and the SFA must be carried out with transparency and honesty. The sex abuse I suffered as a child has been recognised in a Scottish court which punished Mr Bill Kelly by imprisonment. Mr Kelly was a District Association Football Secretary but alarmingly this fact has been ignored by the SFA.

The footballing nation of Scotland demands this be put right so that those, like me who had their dreams shattered and careers destroyed can at last get peace and contentment. Football fans of Scotland want the score settled; they don’t want to see us as victims torn apart by years of needless litigation. “we were just young kids and all we wanted to do was play the game we loved”. How can Scotland look forward to the future when our past remains stained, unspoken and unclear?

Bill Storrie, a financial advisor
He said;

"As a twelve year old football fanatic you have dreams and ambitions, especially when you receive recognition of your potential. From being one of the youngest to play for my Primary School to then being selected to play for the County Team it all felt great.
I was then approached by the widely acknowledged premier juvenile club within West Lothian, namely Uphall Saints. That effectively was when the dreams and ambitions started to die thanks to Mr Bill Kelly.

For 48 years I locked up what this individual made me endure. A man who represented the West Lothian Juvenile Association, wearing his Scottish Juvenile Association badge with pride as he attended meetings at Park Gardens.

Years of conflict, asking myself all the "why" questions but not getting many answers I decided a few months ago it was time to come forward and speak out.

We are now a group supporting each other but we are still being deflected by Politicians, Ruling Bodies and Football Clubs. The feedback and response from the general public has been truly heart warming.

While acknowledgement of a dereliction of duty of care has been forthcoming in other areas of Historic Child Sexual Abuse, unfortunately football remains tainted by hiding from it's responsibilities.

In most walks of life these days accountability and responsibility go hand in hand with good business practice. The SFA is a business as are it's member clubs.
Time, therefore to Settle the Score, time to let the victims move on, time to end this horrific nightmare once and for all!!"

Michelle Gray, the sister of Andrew

She said:

Andrew was 41 when he passed on 16th October 2017. 10 months prior to his death, he disclosed that Jim Torbett of Celtic Boys Club, Sexually Abused him from the age of 12. Not just once, countless times up until he was around the age of 15 and managed to break free of his grasp. Andrew had lived with this secret & heartbreak for nearly 30 years & it had had a devasting impact on his life. One of Andrews main reasons for disclosing was to ensure no other child suffered what he did.
Before his passing, he asked that if he didn’t make it, that I carry on the fight not only for him but for all the others whose lives had been destroyed by Torbett & his ilk within Scottish Football. To uncover the truth and with the help of those in authority, do all we could to ensure Justice was served and that this nefarious act & travesty was never allowed to happen again.
Since then we’ve done all we could to ensure Andrews voice is heard. To carry on this journey that he started. Thankfully Andrews abuser was found guilty at Glasgow High Court on 5th November 2018, for the heinous crimes he carried out on Andrew & 2 other children. A further 3 men from Celtic & Celtic boys club have been found guilty of the sexual abuse of children, dating as far back as the late 1960’s, with an endless number of victims & survivors.
Nothing will ever bring Andrew back but doing what we do in his memory helps ease our pain a little. We’ll never give up fighting for the Truth & the Justice that Andrew and so many others deserve.

Malcolm, Bill and Michell are available for interview on TV, radio and by print journalists. You can contact them via email.

Survivors and relatives of Scotland's football abuse scandal have joined forces - for the first time - to demand justice, compensation and apologies for the years of torment they have suffered.

Settle the Score (or another name if you prefer) has been formed to ensure that the voices of people who have been silent for far too long are finally heard.

Members of the group come from different parts of the country and have a variety of footballing affiliations.

Their goal is for ALL clubs in Scotland, along with the Scottish Football Association - which has overall authority for the safety and wellbeing of players - to finally accept responsibility for the horrendous sexual abuse that has scarred the lives of so many people.

A spokesman said:

"Up until a few weeks ago, none of us knew each other. What brought us together was the difficult decision, that each of us made separately, to break our silence and speak publicly about the abuse that we - and our loved ones - suffered. Alone and isolated no more, we have teamed up to speak with one voice to demand justice.

"Football is Scotland's national sport but the beautiful game has become tarnished by decades of abuse - and further soiled by concerted efforts to ensure that dark secrets remain firmly covered up and out of public view.

"For far too long powerful clubs and organisations have prioritised the protection of their reputations over and above their responsibility to do the right thing for vulnerable youngsters who were in their care.

"In Scotland, clubs and organisations have deflected and denied, spending considerable sums on lawyers, advisors and insurers with the goal of evading culpability and negative publicity. It doesn't have to be this way. South of the border, Manchester City and Chelsea have held their hands up, accepted responsibility and agreed to compensate and offer personal apologies to each and every person who suffered abuse in their name. If it can happen there then it must happen here too.

"This is not about Celtic against Rangers, or Hearts against Hibs. This is about right versus wrong Justice for Scotland's football abuse survivors will be postponed no longer. It is time to do the right thing. It's time to Settle the Score."

Malcolm Rodger, a decorated former serviceman who served in with the Royal Engineers....

He said:

“I’ve had the privilege of serving in the military with some of the finest individuals anyone would care to meet, in parts of world that has seen war, civil unrest and famine. From joint experiences there was and still remains, a bond between us. An unspoken code of acknowledgement, that what we endured brought us so close together, it can never be taken away or forgotten”.

That same code means I can never walk away from my duty to ensure that justice for victims of sex abuse within Scottish football is achieved. The moral and ethical duty as well as the duty of care upon clubs and the SFA must be carried out with transparency and honesty. The sex abuse I suffered as a child has been recognised in a Scottish court which punished Mr Bill Kelly by imprisonment. Mr Kelly was a District Association Football Secretary but alarmingly this fact has been ignored by the SFA.

The footballing nation of Scotland demands this be put right so that those, like me who had their dreams shattered and careers destroyed can at last get peace and contentment. Football fans of Scotland want the score settled; they don’t want to see us as victims torn apart by years of needless litigation. “we were just young kids and all we wanted to do was play the game we loved”. How can Scotland look forward to the future when our past remains stained, unspoken and unclear?

He said;

"As a twelve year old football fanatic you have dreams and ambitions, especially when you receive recognition of your potential. From being one of the youngest to play for my Primary School to then being selected to play for the County Team it all felt great.
I was then approached by the widely acknowledged premier juvenile club within West Lothian, namely Uphall Saints. That effectively was when the dreams and ambitions started to die thanks to Mr Bill Kelly.

For 48 years I locked up what this individual made me endure. A man who represented the West Lothian Juvenile Association, wearing his Scottish Juvenile Association badge with pride as he attended meetings at Park Gardens.

Years of conflict, asking myself all the "why" questions but not getting many answers I decided a few months ago it was time to come forward and speak out.

We are now a group supporting each other but we are still being deflected by Politicians, Ruling Bodies and Football Clubs. The feedback and response from the general public has been truly heart warming.

While acknowledgement of a dereliction of duty of care has been forthcoming in other areas of Historic Child Sexual Abuse, unfortunately football remains tainted by hiding from it's responsibilities.

In most walks of life these days accountability and responsibility go hand in hand with good business practice. The SFA is a business as are it's member clubs.
Time, therefore to Settle the Score, time to let the victims move on, time to end this horrific nightmare once and for all!!"

She said:

Andrew was 41 when he passed on 16th October 2017. 10 months prior to his death, he disclosed that Jim Torbett of Celtic Boys Club, Sexually Abused him from the age of 12. Not just once, countless times up until he was around the age of 15 and managed to break free of his grasp. Andrew had lived with this secret & heartbreak for nearly 30 years & it had had a devasting impact on his life. One of Andrews main reasons for disclosing was to ensure no other child suffered what he did.
Before his passing, he asked that if he didn’t make it, that I carry on the fight not only for him but for all the others whose lives had been destroyed by Torbett & his ilk within Scottish Football. To uncover the truth and with the help of those in authority, do all we could to ensure Justice was served and that this nefarious act & travesty was never allowed to happen again.
Since then we’ve done all we could to ensure Andrews voice is heard. To carry on this journey that he started. Thankfully Andrews abuser was found guilty at Glasgow High Court on 5th November 2018, for the heinous crimes he carried out on Andrew & 2 other children. A further 3 men from Celtic & Celtic boys club have been found guilty of the sexual abuse of children, dating as far back as the late 1960’s, with an endless number of victims & survivors.
Nothing will ever bring Andrew back but doing what we do in his memory helps ease our pain a little. We’ll never give up fighting for the Truth & the Justice that Andrew and so many others deserve.

Malcolm, Bill and Michell are available for interview on TV, radio and by print journalists. You can contact them via email.

Good luck to you all Malcolm.

You just know our impartial media will be sharpening their knives as we speak.

Would be good if the Justice Minister gave his support and if not, why not ?
I have been told by the procurator fiscal that the details of the case in 87 is not in the public interest to be released. As part of the Victims and witnesses Act 2004 I am entitled to this information as I was a victim named in court in 87. I now need to apply to the Scottish Home office

More power to you Malcolm, and it goes without saying, all other survivors of this abuse.

If Rangers need to answer on this then so be it, a football club should never be placed ahead of justice.

A full unbiased public inquiry is a must.

No more hearsay, no more accusations of point scoring.
Get everything out in the open.

I have been told by the procurator fiscal that the details of the case in 87 is not in the public interest to be released. As part of the Victims and witnesses Act 2004 I am entitled to this information as I was a victim named in court in 87. I now need to apply to the Scottish Home office

That is a disgraceful thing to say, sorry to hear that...

Horrible horrible bastards mate, it’s not in the public interest ffs , I hope you all get closure mate sooner rather than later, who the feck are they protecting?

This government are intent on protecting the criminals and curtailing the victims in their just pursuit of legal recognition.

It's actually a scandal the SNP are getting away with this and not calling for a full-scale investigation, it's long been clear that their sole intent is in protecting their Catholic electorate.

A spokesman said:

He said:

He said;

She said:

Good luck to you all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-football-abuse-survivors-team-up-for-justice-r9k88zr2h

the sun online yesterday- BBC Scotland, BBC radio Scotland, The nine programme, The Sun today - In all honesty though and in fairness - even the Celtic Star posted it on the same night as the press release.

This could be the start of the end Malcolm, when Michelle and Kenny were ploughing a lone furrow it was all too easy for the media to turn a blind eye to them and her Mother.
I have long thought that weight of numbers and action from outside this country would be required to get justice for all affected.
I hope others that have suffered can gain the strength to add themselves to the public face of the group, you and Bill's decision to come forward have added much-needed strength and publicity to push this forward.

Back