Video from last night highlighting the effectiveness of our pressing & shape

You really see how switched on tactically the players have to be for this to work. The midfield in particular have to be very aware of what is going on around them.

Thought Arfield played a major role in this. Very similar to his performance in the 1st old firm at Ibrox last season. He's been off it for weeks but was brilliant for the team last night
It was his best performance in months. I've been critical of him this season so it's only fair to give him his due. He's very important to our shape and I hope he gets back to this level consistently.

Thought Arfield played a major role in this. Very similar to his performance in the 1st old firm at Ibrox last season. He's been off it for weeks but was brilliant for the team last night

The work he does out of possession is incredible, but often goes unappreciated by many fans.

The work he does out of possession is incredible, but often goes unappreciated by many fans.

His touch has been off for a few weeks now and looked leggy but thought last night he was class. Work rate and made some great runs and nice touches.

Not 100% but think he battled to win a lost cause just before the goal and won back possession.

His touch has been off for a few weeks now and looked leggy but thought last night he was class. Work rate and made some great runs and nice touches.

Not 100% but think he battled to win a lost cause just before the goal and won back possession.

I agree that he hasn't been at his sharpest recently, but clearly Gerrard trusts him to follow a game plan to the letter.

Always presses at the correct time and there's great intelligence in his link up play, particularly with Alfredo.

Revels in a big game atmosphere too.

Any of the tactical geniuses able to explain Feyenoord tactics ?
i was genuinely lost at what their system was, seemed total chaos

The reason we were blowing out our arse from about 65 minutes but also the reason why Gerrard is reluctant to change it as the shape was perfect even when we stopped pressing high in the 2nd half, although Tav was left exposed once or twice as arfield tired
It pisses me off when people around me shout for the players to keep pressing for the full 90 minutes it’s virtually impossible.

They seemed to have a sweeper with 1 cb very deep, couldn't understand why such a skinny runt of a defender beside him who Alfredo terrorised everytime

Does it show how our full backs especially Tavernier are constantly exposed giving the opposition unlimited space out wide?

When the play is broken between dropping or pressing I think it’s very noticeable how much smarter football brain wise Davis and Arfield are to the rest of our team. They invariably just know what to do 1-2 seconds ahead of everyone else. Especially Davis.

Does it show how our full backs especially Tavernier are constantly exposed giving the opposition unlimited space out wide?

Funnily enough Gerrard mentioned in his post match analysis that Forcing them wide was something they worked on. Clearly they identified Feyenoord don’t score often from crosses and we’re willing to flood the middle and leave space wide.

We got a clean sheet s it worked.

I agree that he hasn't been at his sharpest recently, but clearly Gerrard trusts him to follow a game plan to the letter.

Always presses at the correct time and there's great intelligence in his link up play, particularly with Alfredo.

Revels in a big game atmosphere too.

Along with the terror like performance of Jack and his growing awareness of making a pass, added to the maturity of Davis, we have a very good balance in midfield. Add in Aribo/Kamara in is the best midfield we have had for years.

I love it when we play a pressing game, forces the opposition into hurried and misplaced passes, and most importantly it rattles them and puts them off their game.

More of this style please, Rangers.

I dunno you would think football was a new game that had just been invented, the analysis takes the insight to a new level (which is great from a fan perspective)but is there anything happening here that your Dutch and West Germans et al werent doing decades ago

You can just imagine Stewart and Thompson on the BBC trying to explain that.:rolleyes:

The keeper was atrocious there my daughter/son/granny could’ve saved that, the one he missed was the worst miss in the history of football, and how n earth did they afford Kent? Investigation needed as this is a disgrace. Feyenoord are also the worst team in Europe, Fact.

The biggest difference in Rangers for me is the physical ability to employ these tactics.

Liverpool under Klopp have taken a teams work rate up to fantastic levels. Klopp demands unbelievable standards when it comes to pressing and defending, it took him 2 years to fully implement his style. Gerrard seems to have us trying to play in a similar manner.

Gerrard has played under some great managers, he certainly has plenty of top level experience to dip into if required.

The keeper was atrocious there my daughter/son/granny could’ve saved that, the one he missed was the worst miss in the history of football, and how n earth did they afford Kent? Investigation needed as this is a disgrace. Feyenoord are also the worst team in Europe, Fact.

Biomechanics

Ummm Ehhhhh Yeh The thing is Ehhh ummmm absolutely......
Probably a shout for it being offside eh Thommo?

Aye Michael. For me the linesman got it wrong. And barasek went through the boy. Dangerous bit of play. Surely the compliance
officer will need to look at that again. Oko did well for the finish but the defending was poor and the keeper...what was he thinking?

I know Thommo. Ridiculous.

You done something to your eyelashes Micheal... Just noticed. It's nice. Really brings oot your ginger hair and complexion.

Aye... Wee bit of a tint done but it's their natural length...

Right lads... We can agree they h*ns were lucky. Now League champions, the magnificent Sellick were also in action...

Am I right in thinking if we'd pressed Celtic like that while the pressed the fukk out of us, it would have really just reduced it all to an old fashioned blood and thunder OF game?

Which for all the tactical nous, doesn't translate to anything particularly sophisticated.

That was great to see, hard work & everybody has to be on the same page. Example of it not working - Ojo was too late going to press their RCB at one point in the 2nd half, tried to sprint to make up for it & the boy dropped the shoulder, walked past him & nearly cut us open with a pass.
Fine margins.

If only every game was a European game. We have to play a completely different way domestically which doesn't help us in our Euro games. Teams in the continent can play the same way domestically and in Europe. But anyway, SG is taking us to new levels and he hasn't finished yet.

They should see the size of Ryan Kent's EBT. :p
Mind you they will never see the side letter. ;)

Not if we follow the plan of transition from 433 to 451 when the opposition have the ball in differing halfs

You can just imagine Stewart and Thompson on the BBC trying to explain that.:rolleyes:

"Tell us Michael about the high press"

"Well, the thing is. You see. Well. When I was at Hibs, players used to bench press a fair bit"

"Yes, but I mean the high press"

"Well some of them were doing it standing up if thats what you mean?"

"Oh Jesus. Stevie? You a fan of the high press?"

"I have a trouser press. Cracking crease on these trousers by the way"

"Right...our next game"

Back