Vignal calls for reinforcements

Do we really need to sign a new CB purely because Katic is out? We have Goldson, Helander, Edmundson with Bassey, McCrorie and possibly Mayo as back up.

I mean I'm sure we'll upgrade wherever and whenever we can but my gut feeling is we don't need to replace Niko unless it's a clear upgrade. His goals for me are the most important thing, not really his defensive ability, which Helander and Edmundson could provide surely?

Do we really need to sign a new CB purely because Katic is out? We have Goldson, Helander, Edmundson with Bassey, McCrorie and possibly Mayo as back up.

I mean I'm sure we'll upgrade wherever and whenever we can but my gut feeling is we don't need to replace Niko unless it's a clear upgrade. His goals for me are the most important thing, not really his defensive ability, which Helander and Edmundson could provide surely?
Helander hasn’t managed consistent run of games in his career due to injury. He can’t be relied upon fitness wise. Edmundson is young and learning. A new centre half is an urgent priority.

There’s a lot of positions needing looked at. Folk are being shouted down for even suggesting it. As it stands this squad is static and won’t do much next season and folk can see what’s coming.

I don't think we should rush in to sign someone for the sake of it.

I think we have 4 very good CBs and rotating them is sometimes a problem when all are fit.

I don't see the point in having 5 when Niko comes back, but I'm all for having 1 great one and 3 or 4 very good ones fighting to partner him.

I know the worry would be one of the remaining 3 getting injured but that's no different to the situation once Helander got crocked last year. Also, if the transfer window is open later then I'd be tempted to give Mayo a run out or two before deciding if we need another rotational piece.

It's frightening this notion that one or two signings will do.

This team/squad and it currently stands will not go the distance next season.

4 players of quality need to straight into the DM, CM, RW, ST roles.

You need arguably cover at RB, CB, and i reckon a dynamic forward who can play on either wing or through the middle.

I reckon we need 7 players to mount a serious challenge next season.

We need 4 first-team centre-backs in case we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. I don't know if the younger players are ready.

We need more than reinforcements.
We need a series upgrades In a few positions.
We can't go again with what we had as that means we retain that underbelly of weakness that will fold and fail again.

And the season starts in under 3 weeks! I thought there would have been more signings/marked improvements.

C'mon Stevie, #55 Choo Choo

We do need upgrades. I'd say as a minimum if we want to win anything this season we need players who go straight into the first team in the positions CB, CM & CF.

It's frightening this notion that one or two signings will do.

This team/squad and it currently stands will not go the distance next season.

4 players of quality need to straight into the DM, CM, RW, ST roles.

You need arguably cover at RB, CB, and i reckon a dynamic forward who can play on either wing or through the middle.

I reckon we need 7 players to mount a serious challenge next season.

100%

Some seem to have forgotten this was the team that collapsed after Christmas, 1 or 2 signings isn't going to be enough.

IMO we need CB, RB, CM, RW, CF. All of first-team quality, not squad fillers.

100%

Some seem to have forgotten this was the team that collapsed after Christmas, 1 or 2 signings isn't going to be enough.

IMO we need CB, RB, CM, RW, CF. All of first-team quality, not squad fillers.

Totally agree with your assessment of first team upgrades required.

If we want to win anything this season then we need to recruit guys that go straight into the team.

We desperately need a January onwards goal scorer. Alfredo does the first half of the season wonderfully, punt him in January before the legs fall off again.

Agree we need reinforcements but highly doubt we will be signing 5-7 players of first team quality. Dream on.

Jordan Campbell said similar stuff on the Athletic last week. I agree Katic being injured is a blow as he's one of the best CBs in the league on his day. However we've got three other senior CBs as well as having players who could do a job there if required and at least one promising youth academy CB ready to graduate up to the first team squad. So while another senior CB would be an advantage, it'll most likely be a loan signing if any I believe.

Agree we need reinforcements but highly doubt we will be signing 5-7 players of first team quality. Dream on.

You're right in saying that it probably won't happen. I'd say if the club want to have ambitions of winning something this season then one player in each position of CB, CM and CF that go straight into the team are what's needed. Then back-up down the right hand side.

We need at least 3 or 4 new signings for start of the season, if we go with what we have we have no chance of winning anything.The present players with a few exceptions have shown they are not good enough.

Well we won't stand a chance of winning the league.

Think many agree we urgently need 4 quality additions and that's to go straight into the team.

Are you happy with the bench/squad options ?

Can't see Barker, Jones, Stewart, Docherty, contributing and as it stands they are the go to options so there is a pressing case to add better players to the squad so when you narrow it down adding 5-7 becomes crucial that's if we want to challenge and maintain a title fight for the duration of an entire season.

I love how some come on FF defending players from any valid criticism, as if they are family members being insulted.
Two years we have been in decent positions and they have shat themselves from the pressure.

I will say it until I am blue in the face , until SG realises his core players he relies on, are the ones who let him down most at crucial times need replaced, then our years of winning nothing will continue.
We need two quality midfielders and 2 strikers to replace Morelos. That is bare minimum. All first team starters.
If it was possible I would prefer a new right back and a CH if their was enough cash.
If we need to sell 2 or 3 like Morelos, Kamara and a Tav or a Goldson so be it.

I think we need a target man with Morelos just behind him. Defoe is ok for the little teams . We really need to sort out centre midfield to stop teams railroading through the middle i also think we have not replaced the candyman as some teams use Tavernier out of position to their advantage How many times do teams ping down the left in midfied then pass centre when our players are out of position that pressurises the defence to make last ditch tackles.

I think we need a target man with Morelos just behind him. Defoe is ok for the little teams . We really need to sort out centre midfield to stop teams railroading through the middle i also think we have not replaced the candyman as some teams use Tavernier out of position to their advantage How many times do teams ping down the left in midfied then pass centre when our players are out of position that pressurises the defence to make last ditch tackles.

I thought it was only me who noticed your last point.:))

There is a lack of quality if Goldson or Helander get injured as none of the others you mention are good enough in fact they are very poor with exception of the boy Mayp who is untested and not ready to be thrown in at deep end

Helander hasn’t managed consistent run of games in his career due to injury. He can’t be relied upon fitness wise. Edmundson is young and learning. A new centre half is an urgent priority.

There’s a lot of positions needing looked at. Folk are being shouted down for even suggesting it. As it stands this squad is static and won’t do much next season and folk can see what’s coming.
IMO there's quite a few positions I'd look for before a CB. We effectively have 5 that can play there comfortably.
The players first mentioned above are IMO more than good enough to deal with Scottish games, Europe may be a tough ask for some of them though.

I'd rather initially we look to recruit goals from midfield. It's the main difference between us and them. Defensively we had a great record last year, Once we lost Alfredo's goals though we were screwed because no one else is capable of picking up the slack

We need a reliable goal scorer

Morelos has an incredible goal scoring record. If you removed a few goals from his H1 tally and added them to H2, nobody would suggest this sort of thing.

I think a good signing (like we tried with Vydra) would create more competition and get more out of him.

I think Bassey has/will skip Edmunson to our 4th choice center half.
We should hopefully shift Jones and Barker too and would love to see us sign a real bit of quality for the right side with the wages that frees up.

We need quality in all the cental areas,yes we have good players, but all of them have been found wanting at various stages of last season ,,more quality brings us trophies

We need 4 first-team centre-backs in case we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. I don't know if the younger players are ready.

Don’t think they are either. In this league you need beasts to cope with the motherwells and Livingstons and with pace given our attacking flank play. Get that sorted at CH and a lot of other things will start to click.

Why did we pay 3.5 million for a defender in Scotland where the opposing strikers arent very good.
If he s a crock then thats just adds to it.
I really didnt see the point at the time.

I really dislike 4-2-3-1 for the domestic games. One upfront is too isolated against teams who park the bus. We can dominate those games with with four in midfield, Alfie has a hell of a job to do on his own in every game we play.

Keep that tactic for Europe or for difficult places like the Knew Camp, I want to see us have two strikers for most of our fixtures. Ease the pressure on Morelos and double the threat with a strike partner.

I think Bassey has/will skip Edmunson to our 4th choice center half.
We should hopefully shift Jones and Barker too and would love to see us sign a real bit of quality for the right side with the wages that frees up.

are you writing Edmundson off for a Leicester city youth player ?

I agree with him in the context of not having a second strong eleven,we need two players of the same quality,or better for every position and as said. But with Helander being injury prone,I think we'll bring another CB in to cover all bases.

As far as I’m concerned we need 3 or 4 quality winners to go right into the starting 11. Without that I think we’re getting a repeat of last season.

Counter argument
Helander is injury prone.
Edmundson is he ready ?
McCrorie is not a centre half.
Bassey is an unknown quantity and is centre half his position?

As far as I’m concerned we need 3 or 4 quality winners to go right into the starting 11. Without that I think we’re getting a repeat of last season.
You are 100% correct in both statements.
worryingly the season is less than three weeks away and no sign , these players need signed and bedded in before a difficult game at Pittodrie.

You are 100% correct in both statements.
worryingly the season is less than three weeks away and no sign , these players need signed and bedded in before a difficult game at Pittodrie.

I just don’t know why people think the same team that folded like a deck of cards last season will suddenly roll their sleeves up and hold their nerve when the pressures on? Players don’t transform in mentality over the course of a few months.

I just don’t know why people think the same team that folded like a deck of cards last season will suddenly roll their sleeves up and hold their nerve when the pressures on? Players don’t transform in mentality over the course of a few months.
Agreed, my worry is we were relying on money for Morelos to bring players in and that is looking unlikely or will be a last minute deal leaving us no time to get the right players.

Agreed, my worry is we were relying on money for Morelos to bring players in and that is looking unlikely or will be a last minute deal leaving us no time to get the right players.

Am I losing my mind or did you just quote me, but the quoted post says that it was “Crispy Bacon” who posted it?

We need minimum 3 strong, disciplined, experienced players. Preferably who have won something.
Central Defender, Midfield, Attack.
We are pumping our cash into the club, and this needs to be done urgently.

“Reinforcements” are the last thing we need.

Improvements on current first picks are what we need.

By natural default.... the current first picks will become the “reinforcements”

Back