Villarreal Just Grubbed Zenit Home and Away

Axelrod

The bright highlights in a relatively dismal season it has to be said , Europe’s been huge for us this time around .

Let’s hope for more next year but with some kind of domestic success as well ( a cup ).

Bobans27

That promise and spirit we had.

Where the %^*& has it gone?

I maintain we had more about us as a team back then. We’ve gone flat. Maybe we’ve been worked out.
I think we’re very good on the counter against better teams, especially compared to the previous 3 managers.

Our problem is teams that sit in and let us have the ball. Our 433 doesn’t seem to work against them. If the management team can crack that nut I think we’ll see some trophies come our way.

Baku Bear

Definitely feels like the team were abducted and brainwashed into being rubbish during the winter break. So disappointed that we can’t seem to find consistency.
No coincidence our worst performances have all came against teams who sit deep and make us break them down. We struggled against that before the winter break too.

We've had some fantastic performances against good teams who like to play football against us this season. I don't think we've lost that, it's just rare to find teams actually willing to play that way in Scotland.

simplyzebest

I think the pressure has built on certain players. I think they were oblivious to the real pressures of being a Rangers player and I think that as the season has progressed the realisation and pressure have become too much for some mentally. That's what I think has happened form wise.

RFC97

I think we’re very good on the counter against better teams, especially compared to the previous 3 managers.

Our problem is teams that sit in and let us have the ball. Our 433 doesn’t seem to work against them. If the management team can crack that nut I think we’ll see some trophies come our way.
That would help I think but it’s just part of the problem.

What if we develop a new system and the opposition change at half time to stifle us? Will we have an answer? We haven’t shown anything to say yes.

We also need better personnel. Those of the creative variety. A few battlers thrown in would be nice as well.

RFC97

I think the pressure has built on certain players. I think they were oblivious to the real pressures of being a Rangers player and I think that as the season has progressed the realisation and pressure have become too much for some mentally. That's what I think has happened form wise.
That’s part of it agree but there’s no one single issue.

It’s a combination of factors.

MearnsUnionist

No coincidence our worst performances have all came against teams who sit deep and make us break them down. We struggled against that before the winter break too.

We've had some fantastic performances against good teams who like to play football against us this season. I don't think we've lost that, it's just rare to find teams actually willing to play that way in Scotland.

There's no doubt that this is the case.

Games like the piggery in a couple of weeks will suit us fine and we could easily get a result.

However, most games in Scotland aren't like that and we need to find a system to regularly beat the deep lyimg defensive teams.

Ponientebear

So what, on Tuesday our season just became meaningless, looking back to what might have beens maybe what you have left to grasp on to be in the real world we just handed Timothy a treble, treble
Good post btw

MearnsUnionist

The 2-2 game was some 36 games ago.

When you see that we will play 60 games this season it tells you all you need to know.

We have gone flat.

Well done to Villareal they looked a good side. When they scored within 45 seconds I felt a 6-0 doing.

I wasn't even in the ground when they scored.

Bit of a nightmare trying to get in that night.

dt17

Quite worrying when you look back.

A few games we went down to 10 men (even 9 against Ufa) and still looked absolutely solid, like nothing could beat us.

What happened to that team?

Only notable differences are Katic and Ejaria?

WATP3006

There's no doubt that this is the case.

Games like the piggery in a couple of weeks will suit us fine and we could easily get a result.

However, most games in Scotland aren't like that and we need to find a system to regularly beat the deep lyimg defensive teams.
We have always faced deep lying defences in Scotland though MU,

Is it not the case we need players right through the team with more intelligence and who are better on then ball.

That’s even starting with McGregor. Goldson and Worralls distribution isn’t the best, then you have McCrorie who can’t cement a starting place for this reason, then the wide men of Kent and Candeias who blow hot and cold on a weekly basis.

Right through the team we have players who give possession away far too cheaply, and as long as that continues there are going to be problems.

We might not be far off points wise but the difference between us and the manks is 4 draws. If we won those games we'd be down to at most 2 goal difference aswell. To put that into perspective we have more draws this season so far than we did last and we've probably fucked ourselves with last minute draws more than 4 times this season.

76/50 gf/a last season
65/21 gf/a this season

Anyone that says we've not improved is mental, the goals against speaks for itself. We're much more stable at the back, there's still improvements to be had though. This is with more games due to Europe and an improved competition at times when we've had to play too (hearts, Livingston, Killie - barring Killie their form has dropped off but we've had to play them at their peaks and they've been genuinely tough games)

Don't give me the manks are doing shite pish. They're doing about normal, don't let their invincible season where the league was much easier cloud your judgements. Aye they were there for the taking, but what they're doing now is about normal form where rangers and Celtic used to be at.

It's easy to look at the points and say we're not much better off but there's a far larger picture at hand. I believe Gerrard is the right man to right the ship. He's sorted out out defensive problems for the most part, next season his focus will be on midfield and forwards

MearnsUnionist

We have always faced deep lying defences in Scotland though MU,

Is it not the case we need players right through the team with more intelligence and who are better on then ball.

That’s even starting with McGregor. Goldson and Worralls distribution isn’t the best, then you have McCrorie who can’t cement a starting place for this reason, then the wide men of Kent and Candeias who blow hot and cold on a weekly basis.

Right through the team we have players who give possession away far too cheaply, and as long as that continues there are going to be problems.

I agree that teams have always sat in against us mate, but there's no question that teams are way more organised and disciplined now.

I do agree with your general point though mate.

How's training going?
Ready for a wee track session yet bud?

WATP3006

I agree that teams have always sat in against us mate, but there's no question that teams are way more organised and disciplined now.

I do agree with your general point though mate.

How's training going?
Ready for a wee track session yet bud?
3stone lighter since the the end of November mate.

What involved? How’s your training, you any races coming up?

MearnsUnionist

3stone lighter since the the end of November mate.

What involved? How’s your training, you any races coming up?

Brilliant mate well done.

I'll PM you over a few good begimmer track sessions to take you to the next level.

Training was going great until picking up a calf strain 3 weeks ago after a hard indoor session at the Emirates.

Hopefully back out for an easy 8 mile aerobic run tomorrow night to ease myself back.

Agree saved me posting the same

PortoyMortoy

Exactly, we're scary when you give us chances to counter attack but most teams have caught onto that now, we absolutely destroyed Hamilton when they tried to play attacking football against us. Similar to Klopp at Liverpool his first couple of years, could beat the big boys but the lesser teams they struggled against as they knew what would happen if they tried to play attacking football, the problem for us is that there's only two "big boys" in Scottish football and we're one of them so it's them and Europe where our current style is far more likely to work. It just means we need to recruit better in attacking positions, obviously we cant go out and buy Salah but that type of goal scoring winger is what we desperately need

RenfrewBear72

We played some cracking football in Europe.

Funny that, in amongst all the shite officiating in Scotland, a shite linesman decision probably put out us given Morelos was clearly onside for one of the best goals I’ve seen us score against Spartak, 4-2 and we win that.

Steve A Stevens

All day long.

Steve A Stevens

Exactly, we're scary when you give us chances to counter attack but most teams have caught onto that now, we absolutely destroyed Hamilton when they tried to play attacking football against us. Similar to Klopp at Liverpool his first couple of years, could beat the big boys but the lesser teams they struggled against as they knew what would happen if they tried to play attacking football, the problem for us is that there's only two "big boys" in Scottish football and we're one of them so it's them and Europe where our current style is far more likely to work. It just means we need to recruit better in attacking positions, obviously we cant go out and buy Salah but that type of goal scoring winger is what we desperately need
As much as I agree, I don't think better players is the answer.

I think when teams sit in, we need one lightning fast DM protecting two center backs 3-5-2 shape in attack.

One touch, fast moving aggressive football. Strategic placing for recycling attacks, the ball is cleared then 9 times out of 10 a blue shirt is picking it up.

Better inter movement between players, one moves he opens a space, we have to utilise this. More intelligent passing, I think more thought and work needs to go into slicing teams open.

Otherwise, batter them open, pound them into submission.

LiviLoyal

Why?

Where does that sense of entitlement come from?

We've rarely qualified from a European group comfortably in our history.
You’re right, we haven’t, but we’ve not been in as many as weak as that was. Rapid were just a very poor side who are mid table in Austria. Spartak admittedly used to be a decent European side but they were shocking this year and our failure to beat them in either game was ultimately our downfall in failing to qualify.

Deejj206

Official Ticketer
That gives me hope to cling to, we have had big performances and there is a team in our squad but we have issues with consistency and breaking decent teams down.

By far our best performances are in open games where we go toe to toe with teams.

Bluebrox

Must admit, I wasn't overly impressed with them in the two games against us. They were there for the taking at Ibrox. But as usual we were dire in the final third and weren't clinical in any way.

songsofglory

Quite worrying when you look back.

A few games we went down to 10 men (even 9 against Ufa) and still looked absolutely solid, like nothing could beat us.

What happened to that team?

Only notable differences are Katic and Ejaria?
Losing Ejaria has affected us. He fitted in quite nicely to our side.

Robbie Wilson

It's very very simple.
When we played them both teams went out and played football.
SPL teams have sussed that if they come out and play football against us we will destroy U.
Hence Berlin Wall and kick fuk out of us and hope to hit on the break.
We now must go on to our next stage which will involve recruiting players who can break down the said wall.

Bob Belcher

Official Ticketer

Can't really blame teams for setting up in a way that increases their chances of getting a result against us. It's been clear what our weaknesses are for months now; teams would be daft not to sit deep against us. It's our failing for not changing things up to try and find a way through.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
It was Spartak and Vienna we should have dealt with....the latter in particular were hopeless. At halfway stage in group we should have qualified and there is no real counter argument.