Virtual Season Ticket, value for money?

I renewed my season ticket and like others suspected that we wouldn't have the chance to get back into Ibrox for most of or perhaps the whole season and was happy to do so, and because I'm in the position to do so will again. I also, like most of the season ticket holders and MyGers members think that the full RTV access should have been granted us as a gesture of goodwill and a thank you for the continued support, but it is what it is, and adding to our title tally is what's important in the first instance and adding to that going forward.

I paid for my season ticket and my Gers to give the club money I wasn’t really expecting value for money,I will not benefit from my Gers in any way it was just another donation to the club,
My Gers might have been a good idea in somebody’s head but it will need to be revamped or it will fail miserably,From what I understand it’s only for Bears who want away tickets and for others who want to eventually buy a season ticket.

Rtv was a bonus is my decision making, we were all going to pay regardless.

Looks like we will be doing it again next season too if we have too.

Like many, its not a question of value for me.

This is about helping to fund the success of the team we love and get back to where we belong.

If you are in it for value, then you have to question why it is you buy a ST in the 1st place.

Added to the fact is My two bar 72 season tickets were nowhere close to the cost of RTV but given how much I have saved by not going to Ibrox every 2nd week...(booze, food, parking, program, H/T lotto), plus cash i saved from WFH for last year then I think it has evened itself out.

That views understandable but what have fans got for the mygers fee this season? A monthly newsletter and discounts for hand soap?
I've got the ability to go on a waiting list for a season ticket. If it costs £50 to get on the list, that's what it costs. People were talking about memberships for years on here and as soon as they bring it in, people complain about it.

Like many, its not a question of value for me.

This is about helping to fund the success of the team we love and get back to where we belong.

If you are in it for value, then you have to question why it is you buy a ST in the 1st place.

Added to the fact is My two bar 72 season tickets were nowhere close to the cost of RTV but given how much I have saved by not going to Ibrox every 2nd week...(booze, food, parking, program, H/T lotto), plus cash i saved from WFH for last year then I think it has evened itself out.
Also when you factor in what we get from TV deals, not selling players on the cheap or at the first offer (although that's another debate entirely) then where are you expecting our money to come from to fund the club and its success? I think people are going into this with the wrong mindset if they're talking about value at a time when we're literally just paying to keep the club going.

It is not I think MyGers and RTV should be free for anybody who buys a season ticket for next year as something from the club as it’s outlays that won’t cost them anything.

I've got the ability to go on a waiting list for a season ticket. If it costs £50 to get on the list, that's what it costs. People were talking about memberships for years on here and as soon as they bring it in, people complain about it.

I’d have had no qualms paying for a membership scheme if I knew it was essentially a donation and that’s how it’s marketed. For example, if I knew it was more to do with discounts, special offers on products from commercial partners etc I’d have had no issue

The club grouped tickets into it knowing that was the way to ensure uptake was high. I joined to keep my travel club points and to have access to away/cup/European games - I’ve not been able to go to any due to the pandemic and I paid £40 for nothing

£40 isn’t that much £ but to me it’s the principle; the club were wrong introducing the scheme for the 20/21 season

Mygers has been done to death on here (I’d say I’ve been extremely opinionated on it) but it’s becoming relevant again since renewals will be out in 2/3 months and there’s no return in sight

I don't think it was about value for money , it was about providing funding to take the club to the position it is in today.

This in a nutshell...I put money aside through the year for my season ticket and am happy to carry on doing so.

I do appreciate though that not everybody will be as lucky as i am.

Could the club make it easier for folk who may find it difficult to afford one?

It is not I think MyGers and RTV should be free for anybody who buys a season ticket for next year as something from the club as it’s outlays that won’t cost them anything.

Realistically it would cost them though as it’s income that they already forecast and plan into budgets. For example, MyGers income must be close to the £1m mark which now makes it difficult to stop the scheme

The club were wrong introducing it in 20/21 though

The streaming could improve for the VST, 55 means everything too me so I would pay the same next season.

How could they improve it? Apart from a brief panic where the view game button appeared 5 minutes late mine has been impeccable. We've had top class guests and staple of football commentary on our games when covid allowed. I'm not sure what else you expect?

This in a nutshell...I put money aside through the year for my season ticket and am happy to carry on doing so.

I do appreciate though that not everybody will be as lucky as i am.

Could the club make it easier for folk who may find it difficult to afford one?

I always pay for mine upfront but they should try to make it easier next season (monthly payments?) for people who might be struggling and not using an outside finance company

How could they improve it? Apart from a brief panic where the view game button appeared 5 minutes late mine has been impeccable. We've had top class guests and staple of football commentary on our games when covid allowed. I'm not sure what else you expect?
The picture quality could be better. It's not bad by any stretch but it could be sharper. We could have more cameras in the ground too.

Our money buys the players.
Our money keeps the club alive.
Value for money is totally irrelevant in these times.

If we are to have another virtual ST next season we’ll all sign up again.

VFM doesn’t even come into it.

This has been covered before but no harm to refresh the debate.
I've found RTV coverage to be seamless, after problems getting the 1st friendly but VB was brilliant in assisting.

I looked at my normal match day costs, I've a 150 mile round trip that I usually drive with a train option a couple of times a year.
So taking that into account my travel savings are probably very similar to the cost of my CD ST this season. It was reduced a little as I'd handed back my seat for resale a few times.

Would I rather be at Ibrox Vs sitting watching on my MacBook? Absolutely!

Will I renew my ST regardless of Covid restrictions continuing? Absolutely and recognise I'm fortunate to be able to.

55 is coming.

Last edited:
500 notes to watch on TV obviously isn't anywhere near value for money. But have the club delivered the best product that they possibly could in the circumstances? 100% for me. From commentary, pundits presentation and quality of stream they couldn't have done much better imo.

ST money pays the wages of the players and staff who are on the verge of delivering 55.

How much is that worth to you?
This x 1000

Im paying to financially support the club not for production values.

That said, I think RTV has been excellent this year.

If there is no return to Ibrox in August then maybe the virtual season ticket should be a flat rate regardless of where you sit (was it this year?)

The money we paid allowed Rangers to enhance our squad to an extent that we are going to win the league for the first time in a decade.

Paying 700 to watch games on TV is not value for money. However there is a lot more at stake here, ST holders are supporting the club in its moment of need.

I'm hoping this season will be something to be proud of, in future , as we look back on these dark times.

It’s horrendous value, you’d laugh if your Mrs paid someone £500 and got so little for it.

But what else could we do? Our club needed us and we stepped up, again.

If, and a big IF, you remove the performance and position we are currently in then I’d say no, it’s not value for money.

Most people who have a VST are paying upwards of £25 a match. Block buster movies aren’t priced as high as that and neither are the big box office pay per view events.

Am I glad I paid it, yes, is it worth it to see what we’ve seen so far, yes, but all of that is based on the current league position.

Think you've hit the nail on thd head. A struggling Rangers, allowing the scum to saunter to 10IAR, and we'd be screaming we've been robbed.

However at the moment it looks unlikely we'll have full crowds for a goid psrt of next season. Will ST numbers remain as high if that is the scenario come renewal time.

Celebrating 55 might just sway the doubters but we have to remember a lit of oeople have lost jobs, a goid part if theur income. Rangers are important but family come first...... just.

The clamour for Season Tickets next year will be even stronger than it was last year, even with a partial opening of the season.
I know that there will be fans because of a change in circumstances will not be able to justify purchasing a ticket for another full or partial virtual season. Those are the ones I feel sorry for, especially after supporting through the lean years.
Clamour? .. Doubt that very much..
We are heading for a major recession
Moneys tight for a lot of supporters and their families.. We have stuck by the club through thick and thin recently and I'm sure supporters will continue to do so but finances maybe difficult for a lot of us

The club should strive to give ST holders as much extra value as possible for this season as extras , vouchers, discounts, more tv coverage, mygers etc to soften the blow.

But lets face it - this year the ST was a donation, not a sum for services rendered.

A dedicated RTV channel on sky would've been good, no idea on costs involved but would've been better value.
Also, the money we've paid in ST, sky, BT and premier and to not get st Mirren and st Johnstone was poor, not a dig at the club as their hands were tied being away games.

The picture quality could be better. It's not bad by any stretch but it could be sharper. We could have more cameras in the ground too.
I don't know for sure but I think the coverage, of the game itself, is simply a live broadcast of the coverage from the cameras and crew provided by the SPFL's contractors rather than a RangersTV effort. RangersTV do have some additional cameras that are NOT used for the live broadcast but feature on Inside Ibrox (Sandy Jardine Stand, behind the goals etc|) but these are not part of the broadcast. At least that's always been my assumption. No mileage whatsoever in clubs all over the country buying or renting vast quantities of the necessary equipment for their club tv channels, some of which are watched by two men and a dog, at best. Maybe I've always had it wrong. Anybody know for sure?

In terms of quality, I understand its broadcast at 1080p. Mostly I get that level of quality but it occasionally drops. As far as I'm aware that's not down to RangersTV either but a 'typical' issue when viewing internet tv. I've had exactly the same on SkyGo and on BTSport's website. BTSport, in particular, can get pretty bad on a EL match night.

Last edited:
Straight answer - no. £700 for a patchy service and no real attempt to provide any added value. A simple gesture would’ve been offering the full RTV package for free for the season. Net additional cost to the club would’ve been zero.
This 100%.

A fan phone-in should be part of the service. You’ve a presenter and two guests who could continue the chat after their post match discussions. Either that or let Tom and Kevin host the phone-in. There’s no real official platform for Rangers fans to be taken seriously and I’m sure the show wouldn’t be short of callers.

For me it's not about value.

Like many I just want Rangers to have the resources to be top dog again. And next time we go after a player, I'd like to think we all contributed to it. This should be borne in mind.

Forever grateful to those Bears and Directors that can dig a little deeper than most of us.

WATP

I do think perhaps the club could a few small token gestures to acknowledge the season ticket holders and the money they have put in.

It could be something as simple as a weekly raffle: prizes could be signed 1st team players strip, opportunity to watch training, match day behind the scenes tour, directors box tickets, meet your favourite legend.

Some of these will be post covid obviously but I think the club could do something like this to help encourage a similar take up in season tickets next year as I don't forsee much improvement until next spring in terms of getting Ibrox back to full capacity.

Although there is many of us who are happy to pump money in regardless of games or no games, there will be a considerable few who might have to be persuaded a bit more on why to part with their cash and differentiate what you get with a Virtual ST vs a RTV unlimited subscriber.

Of course it’s not value for money. If you are buying on those terms, then you’re always going to be disappointed.

It’s a tough one for the Club and the support.

If you don’t renew, you’ll likely miss out seeing the games when we return.

If you do renew, you’ll be paying a lot of money with no guarantee return date.

The Club need to think carefully before any pricing is decided.

This is why the title & CL qualification is vital.

I've had no problem at all with the streaming so can't ask for much more in that sense.

Regarding the pundits etc, there is really only so much the club can do. We have the best Rangers-linked pundits around and the mainstream pundits around the UK will all be tied down to contracts with the big broadcasting companies. I think getting Clive in for some games was a good move, it adds to the professionalism of the set up.

Its been touched on earlier in the thread but when folk talk about 'full access' do they mean same access as the Unlimited package, namely access to all away games as well? If so, that's not within the Club's gift and would never be sanctioned by the broadcasters nor the SPFL, who own the rights.

Initially my own thought was that the Club could have given the same access as the £6 Standard subscription, which would allow access to all the other content. However, the SLO has indicated that the £6 subscriptions are a big part of the Club's financial planning. He's also highlighted that if season ticket holders - and I suspect many of them will already subscribe to the £6 package - are given free access then those who were paying the subscription as well would be entitled to claim a refund of their subs. That's a financial hit on the Club - if those subscribers actually chose to claim it back or cancel their subscriptions.

There's maybe a half-way house here, where season ticket holders get access to view the game via their VST - but also get access to the other content, but only on matchday. Like a 1 day package sort of thing. How complex that would be to implement I have no idea.

How an you put a cash value on seeing the club reach the destination of the journey? I do understand however that quite a few folk are in financial difficulties and job uncertainties so obviously it’s not a priority for them. So to me it’s good value, my seat will be there when I get back but I’m lucky and I sympathise with those who are finding it tough.

Obviously we’d much rather be in the ground but I have no complaints on the whole with the VST.

I think part of that is due to us doing so well this season. I’m not sure it would be as enjoyable if we were pish.

Was it value for money - no it wasn't, we should have been offered full subscription to RTV.
Will I renew my season ticket and My Gers next season even though we may still not be allowed in the stadium for some time? Bloody right I will.

I've found every game impressively reliable and would take issue with the patchy comment earlier. I'm guessing that the set up on your side.

I was thinking that myself mate, perhaps a problem with the wifi or system at the supporters end?

My streams have been spot on every time.

Could have offered us a price reduction whilst in turn explaining to the handsomely paid professionals the current climate and asking them to take a nominal pay cut to off set the difference, show us the same loyalty that we have shown them in that regard.

I would rather go to the games than watch home games on rangers tv - it cost me roughly £1300 for 3 season tickets - definitely not value for money but the actual value is seeing us lift title number 55 and no amount of money can buy that feeling- and yes I will be renewing regardless next season in the hope I can actually attend Ibrox again to support the famous

ST money pays the wages of the players and staff who are on the verge of delivering 55.

How much is that worth to you?
The correct answer,we support the club and have to especially now. Deliver 55 this season and they've secured my support for years to come.simple as that!
Bairns,rangers,wife.
In that order! :))

This is a topic for debate, not the usual “no one forces you to buy” etc

In June Stewart Robertson gave an update on the start of the new season which included the plans for VST and he also stated he had hoped we’d have fans back by early part of the season, this didn’t happen obviously.
what he said that gives me food for thought is this -
“In terms of the streaming, we will ensure that every season ticket holder has access to Rangers home matches.

"That’s regardless of whether you are a Sky Sports subscriber you’ll get RangersTV and we’re conscious that we need to get value for fans who have got season tickets.”

My question is (taking away the teams performance for a minute) has the VST provided value for money?
In comparison with RTV unlimited which is around 40% of the cost of an adult ST and has access to everything including the matches that VST get.

Why don't you give us a clue as to your thoughts, or are you just looking to generate some rage from others so you can bitch against the club?

It's not about it being value for money , because we are in scotland with poor tv deals without season ticket money we would be in even more serious difficulties with lost revenue. We may not have been able to invest or keep our existing players.

This was the only way we had hope of winning the league and the club are not in control of where fans get back in.

I see lots of comments of we should have got full RTV access but I dont think the club would have been able to do that because of the sky deals. That again is not In there control.

Not great but I think the club have done as best they could and the most important thing is winning the title and we have all contributed to that.

They have made an effort by getting better commentary and guests

Back