Virtual Season Ticket

gordon_blue

Last year, as you all know, when we weren't allowed out and couldn't get to Ibrox, we were able, through our virtual season tickets, to watch our home SPFL games via Rangers TV.

When it came time for renewal for this season, it was explained that this would still be available for fans who couldn't get to the Stadium (i.e. for the Livingston league match when only a percentage of fans were allowed back).

But, once it was announced that large crowds were to be allowed back, this facility stopped as "everyone can now get back". Well, no they can't. There are still fans who are not comfortable with travelling on public transport or supporters' buses and who are still reluctant to sit for 2 hours in a large crowd. Perhaps they were considered "vulnerable" for one reason or another, or someone in their household is - even though they have had their 2 vaccinations.

This will also become an issue when proof of a double vaccination is required before entering the Stadium as not all fans (especially younger ones) will have had their two jabs yet.

Speaking to a Tynecastle Season ticket holder yesterday, he said that they are still able to watch livestreams of their home games. He's not comfortable with going to games and his wife has health issues and has basically told him that he shouldn't be going. There are still thousands pf people testing positive for the virus every day.

So, my question is this: Why isn't Rangers TV still available to ST holders who are still not comfortable going to Ibrox? After all, they have paid hundred of pounds to see our games. If other clubs are doing this, why aren't we (as market leaders)?

I have written to Rangers TV to ask them but they've not replied yet.

Tbh they should be doing it

But I think the TV companies will be a little annoyed if we keep doing it incase it has an impact on what their viewers are

If you choose not to travel to Ibrox thats absolutely nothing to do with the club.

Unless you seatsub the seat will be there waiting.

Vaccines side of things slightly different as there's no law to say you must have a vaccine and the goalposts moved after STs were sold

Last year, as you all know, when we weren't allowed out and couldn't get to Ibrox, we were able, through our virtual season tickets, to watch our home SPFL games via Rangers TV.

When it came time for renewal for this season, it was explained that this would still be available for fans who couldn't get to the Stadium (i.e. for the Livingston league match when only a percentage of fans were allowed back).

But, once it was announced that large crowds were to be allowed back, this facility stopped as "everyone can now get back". Well, no they can't. There are still fans who are not comfortable with travelling on public transport or supporters' buses and who are still reluctant to sit for 2 hours in a large crowd. Perhaps they were considered "vulnerable" for one reason or another, or someone in their household is - even though they have had their 2 vaccinations.

This will also become an issue when proof of a double vaccination is required before entering the Stadium as not all fans (especially younger ones) will have had their two jabs yet.

Speaking to a Tynecastle Season ticket holder yesterday, he said that they are still able to watch livestreams of their home games. He's not comfortable with going to games and his wife has health issues and has basically told him that he shouldn't be going. There are still thousands pf people testing positive for the virus every day.

So, my question is this: Why isn't Rangers TV still available to ST holders who are still not comfortable going to Ibrox? After all, they have paid hundred of pounds to see our games. If other clubs are doing this, why aren't we (as market leaders)?

Is your Hearts ST holder able to watch them free of charge, aka VST, or does he simply mean they have the facility to view them via PPV - as our game against Motherwell was available? I've read nothing about any club continuing with VST access.

As for the other stuff, its personal choice if you choose not to go to Ibrox due to being concerned about Covid. Even if a ST holder had a serious illness - nothing to do with Covid - that prevented them attending, no club has ever given them free access to a TV stream as far as I'm aware. Why would it be different for Covid? I expect we will have fans, every week, who are unable to attend through illness. Its unfortunate but they don't get a free stream as a result.

There's an argument about Covid passports, for sure, but I suspect that's going to be pared-back significantly to the point where its meaningless. If not, chaos will ensue fairly quickly and a re-think will be forced.

EDIT: Actually I discovered that it looks like the Sheep are doing this. Dhims don't but maybe some others do. From Sheep website:

Q: What games will I be able to watch through my virtual season ticket?

Your virtual season ticket will provide access to the Live Broadcast of Cinch Premiership matches included within your Season Ticket for which your Season Ticket is not valid for access to the stadium as a result of such match(es) being played ‘behind closed doors’, with a reduced capacity as a consequence of the Coronavirus pandemic or that you are not able to attend due to your own personal circumstances.

Last edited:
I think that you cannot broadcast games in the UK that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday anyway.

Last year broadcasting was allowed due to special circumstances as far as I am aware.

Is your Hearts ST holder able to watch them free of charge, aka VST, or does he simply mean they have the facility to view them via PPV - as our game against Motherwell was available? I've read nothing about any club continuing with VST access.

As for the other stuff, its personal choice if you choose not to go to Ibrox due to being concerned about Covid. Even if a ST holder had a serious illness - nothing to do with Covid - that prevented them attending, no club has ever given them free access to a TV stream as far as I'm aware. Why would it be different for Covid? I expect we will have fans, every week, who are unable to attend through illness. Its unfortunate but they don't get a free stream as a result.

There's an argument about Covid passports, for sure, but I suspect that's going to be pared-back significantly to the point where its meaningless. If not, chaos will ensue fairly quickly and a re-think will be forced.

EDIT: Actually I discovered that it looks like the Sheep are doing this. Dhims don't but maybe some others do. From Sheep website:

Q: What games will I be able to watch through my virtual season ticket?

Your virtual season ticket will provide access to the Live Broadcast of Cinch Premiership matches included within your Season Ticket for which your Season Ticket is not valid for access to the stadium as a result of such match(es) being played ‘behind closed doors’, with a reduced capacity as a consequence of the Coronavirus pandemic or that you are not able to attend due to your own personal circumstances.
Yeah Hearts have a VST in operation this season

As harsh as this sounds anyone who felt that strongly about being in crowds, public transport etc shouldn’t have renewed their season ticket unless they were willing to basically write off whatever it cost them.

the virus was clearly still going to be an issue and will be for the foreseeable.

Presumably the broadcasters just won’t due to their relationship and deals with the EPL and EFL?
If Sky wanted to show Dundee v Rangers they could at 3pm but would need block the signal in England

Blackout period is meant to protect the clubs for attendance

As long as it doesn’t cost the club anything to offer the VST then surely it would be a good thing?
Where do you stop though? If someone is recovering from an operation for a couple of weeks and can't get to Ibrox do you give them a VST? What if someone has man-flu and misses a game - VST? What if someone is away on holiday and can't get to Ibrox? VST for that as well? What if someone is 'frightened' to go to an OF game in case there is fighting? Give them VST access for that as well?

Covid is here to stay. Its a long-term thing and folk will have to get used to living with it. Circa 80% of the adult population are double-vaxxed now and that probably won't increase significantly. Vaccinating kids is the next target but, really, let's just get on with it.

I really dont want this to sound like Im being a dick, but I know how its going to read.

firstly, TV companies wouldnt be too happy with us offering games to the UK, im pretty sure we dont have the rights to them anyway (other than showing abroad)

Secondly, Surely if someone is not comfortable or scared of going back to large crowds or is vulnerable, then they should have made that part of their decision whether to get a season book or not?

with regards to the passports, I dont know how that will play out, or whether it will even ho ahead

Where do you stop though? If someone is recovering from an operation for a couple of weeks and can't get to Ibrox do you give them a VST? What if someone has man-flu and misses a game - VST? What if someone is away on holiday and can't get to Ibrox? VST for that as well? What if someone is 'frightened' to go to an OF game in case there is fighting? Give them VST access for that as well?
yeah, why not! If you’ve bought a season ticket, and as long as it doesn’t cost the club, I think it would be great.

Covid is here to stay. Its a long-term thing and folk will have to get used to living with it. Circa 80% of the adult population are double-vaxxed now and that probably won't increase significantly. Vaccinating kids is the next target but, really, let's just get on with it.
Can just imagine a midweek game in February against Dundee and the club get 28000 requests for a VST for all kinds of reasons.

Struggling to see many reasons not do that to be honest.

It would though, there is a reason its only overseas bears that can watch games on RTV
Yeah, I understand that it’s thought the tv companies wouldn’t be happy. But I’m not sure why… that viewer wouldn’t be watching their channel anyway - they’d either be at the game, or watching the game at home!

Yeah, I understand that it’s thought the tv companies wouldn’t be happy. But I’m not sure why… that viewer wouldn’t be watching their channel anyway - they’d either be at the game, or watching the game at home!

we would need to pay for the rights to show it in the uk though, currently SKY have the rights to our games.

it wouldnt be free

I really dont want this to sound like Im being a dick, but I know how its going to read.

firstly, TV companies wouldnt be too happy with us offering games to the UK, im pretty sure we dont have the rights to them anyway (other than showing abroad)

Secondly, Surely if someone is not comfortable or scared of going back to large crowds or is vulnerable, then they should have made that part of their decision whether to get a season book or not?

with regards to the passports, I dont know how that will play out, or whether it will even ho ahead

It's not as if the game is being "broadcast". It's only being shown to those who would otherwise physically be there.

If a lesser team like Hearts are doing this, why can't Rangers?

Another viewpoint would be that disabled fans who can't get safely to Ibrox should be able to pay for an annual VST so they could watch games at home. It would be a gesture and would raise a bit of cash.

we would need to pay for the rights to show it in the uk though, currently SKY have the rights to our games.

it wouldnt be free
I wonder how it would work if it’s only being shown to season ticket holders tho. Obviously Sky didn’t have a problem with it last year.

I wonder how it would work if it’s only being shown to season ticket holders tho. Obviously Sky didn’t have a problem with it last year.
The SPFL and Sky Sports made an agreement for a match going season tickets to be turned into a virtual season ticket to allow clubs to sell season tickets as normal and ensure you still see the game somehow as a temporary solution that had been carried into this season

Also within that agreement is a PPV option subject to the game not been on Sky Sports that allow clubs to stream games via their own website or app

If Sky wanted to show Dundee v Rangers they could at 3pm but would need block the signal in England

Blackout period is meant to protect the clubs for attendance
Right, I didn’t know the first bit. No idea how feasible it is from a technology perspective.

Well there's how you administer it for a start. Or do you just give every ST holder free access to RangersTV? How much is that gonna cost us.

As said, just give fans access to the games, they have paid for them already.

You make mention of the fact someone might miss a game because of man-flu, aye exactly, they might miss a game with a positive test, they might miss a game with a broken leg, aye, exactly, if they do it is unfortunate circumstance, give them something back at next to no cost to the club so they can see something they have paid for already.

Times have changed, technology has changed, these things wouldn't be that difficult or costly to administrate and it is an act of decency that keeps your fans on side.

Reactions: TQ3
Just give every season ticket holder a virtual season ticket the same as they did last year. Don't need to give RTV as well. Just the games.
They then have to block the signal to England but not the rest of the UK (for Saturday afternoon kick-offs at least). No idea how feasible that is. And all for how many fans that are truly impacted - rather than don't fancy a wet Wednesday night?

The premise of the OP though is that folk get this because they don't fancy going to Ibrox due to Covid. I'm most certainly not in the same bracket as the 'noisy' band of anti-vaxxers, anti-everything crew on here - I am double-vaxxed and have a wife in the 'clinically extremely vulnerable' group - but man we have to get on with our lives. You will be no 'safer' in 6 months time than you are now. Sadly that's how this is going to be.

Last edited:
Perhaps the VST should be an option if the ticket is put up for sale via Seatsub. I make use of Seatsub because I can't make it to all games. But that doesn't mean I don't still watch all the games live at home and I would rather watch through RTV.

Another viewpoint would be that disabled fans who can't get safely to Ibrox should be able to pay for an annual VST so they could watch games at home. It would be a gesture and would raise a bit of cash.

This I agree with.
Our disabled provision is already pathetic.
This would be an easy win for the club.

They then have to block the signal to England but not the rest of the UK. No idea how feasible that is. And all for how many fans that are truly impacted - rather than don't fancy a wet Wednesday night?

The premise of the OP though is that folk get this because they don't fancy going to Ibrox due to Covid. I'm most certainly not in the same bracket as the 'noisy' band of anti-vaxxers, anti-everything crew on here - I am double-vaxxed and have a wife in the 'clinically extremely vulnerable' group - but man we have to get on with our lives. You will be no 'safer' in 6 months time than you are now. Sadly that's how this is going to be.

Yeah, god knows how that would work. But I do wonder how long this 3pm shut down will stay in place for anyway. It does seem like a bit of a throwback.

I get the premise, its not my place to judge how folk should feel really and whether that should entitle them to a free VST. I think folk need to get on with things but thats just my opinion. But I'm more thinking along the lines of the times when I have to miss a game cos my work means I'm away over weekends sometimes and it would be nice to tune in and watch the game legally. I'd even take being given a VST over the SeatSub thing for the times I cannot attend.

It is if the club consider mitigating circumstance and want to go above and beyond for some of it's customers (supporters)
Still waiting on the "value for money" and giving ST something back from last year as well ;)

Just heard that Motherwell also offer this to their ST holders.

How do they manage it?
Think they have just under 5k season ticket holders - and that includes their TWO free child tickets with every adult ticket. The numbers involved in this who wouldn't be attending with their season ticket will be minuscule.

I note their website says you cannot buy their game this weekend on PPV if you live in England (due to the 3pm blackout down there). I wonder how they mange in the event they have a ST holder who lives in England and can't make the match? He's supposed to have access via a VST but their stream isn't available in England?

I believe celtic fans also still have this VST enabled. My mate says his dad has been able to watch on his.

Afraid the clubs attitude is fukc up and gies yer money.

I believe celtic fans also still have this VST enabled. My mate says his dad has been able to watch on his.
Don't think so mate. Only at reduced capacity games according to their webiste.

Where any games included within your Season Ticket are played ‘behind closed doors’ or with a reduced capacity as a consequence of the Coronavirus pandemic, you will once again be provided with digital access to such matches via the Club’s Pass to Paradise platform as in Season 2020/21.

Where any games included within your Season Ticket are played ‘behind closed doors’ or with a reduced capacity as a consequence of the Coronavirus pandemic, you will once again be provided with digital access to such matches via the Club’s Pass to Paradise platform as in Season 2020/21.
Well he isn't the kind of person who would tell me a random lie, so maybe not intentional but he definitely has it.

Apologies for derailing the thread for a minute, but do you know whether the Club will be allowing us to purchase the upcoming games v Hibs, Hearts and the sheep on normal RTV

They’re all 3pm kickoffs...and I’ll likely miss them due to waiting on my second jab.

Apologies for derailing the thread for a minute, but do you know whether the Club will be allowing us to purchase the upcoming games v Hibs, Hearts and the sheep on normal RTV

They’re all 3pm kickoffs...and I’ll likely miss them due to waiting on my second jab.
It would appear, on the basis of last Sunday‘s game being available on UK PPV, that we will continue to do so for those games not shown on Sky Sports. Shouldn’t be a problem for Hibs game, which is a Sunday. Hearts game is 3pm on a Saturday - which has a blackout in England so we’d need to work around that - but I presume we can. Sheep is midweek so, provided it’s not a CL night, we should be able to do that one as well.

The man in the know for this stuff is @rangeral though.

Yes PPV is available for those in the UK

Hearts Saturday 16th October 3pm won't be available in England due to the blackout period how they work that I don't know but available in Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales

It would appear, on the basis of last Sunday‘s game being available on UK PPV, that we will continue to do so for those games not shown on Sky Sports. Shouldn’t be a problem for Hibs game, which is a Sunday. Hearts game is 3pm on a Saturday - which has a blackout in England so we’d need to work around that - but I presume we can. Sheep is midweek so, provided it’s not a CL night, we should be able to do that one as well.

The man in the know for this stuff is @rangeral though.
Great as ever VB.

Much obliged.

Why renew if you didn’t want to attend

Why renew if you didn’t want to attend

My own disability has got worse over lockdown. Prior to that, I was managing to get to games (with a struggle) but shielding at home and not going out much has really restricted my mobility. Last year's VST was an absolute boon.

I renewed in the hope of that continuing. I have had a ST since the 80s. But, I'm afraid I'll not be able to renew next time.

A VST would be brilliant for me personally. I could see the games while contributing to the Club. As I've said, other clubs offer this.

Back