"Virtual SPFL season ticket" on its way from Sky

We may not hit last season's 46k, but I reckon we'll still get over 40k.

I understand that there will be some people who's circumstances will have changed.

However, I personally don't know anyone who won't have renewed by the end of the month and I know a few who've been on the waiting list the past couple of years who are waiting to buy one.

I think there will still be an excellent uptake.

If we get over 40,000 with people knowing they’ll be lucky to get to ten home games then that is astonishing loyalty

I appreciate that it’s unclear at the moment but the bottom line in this is nothing is for free, someone will have to pay for this virtual ST, usually when it comes to Scottish football it’s the poor sods, the paying public who will no doubt have to cough up.

It seems this is being capped on the basis of how many season ticket holders a club had last season. So if we sold 46,000, we can only sell 46,000 virtual passes.

Assume this will be Skys condition as if we allow everyone who wants to watch our games an online pass, then no one will be tuning into sky to watch the games they show.

I appreciate that it’s unclear at the moment but the bottom line in this is nothing is for free, someone will have to pay for this virtual ST, usually when it comes to Scottish football it’s the poor sods, the paying public who will no doubt have to cough up.

So what do the supporters that have bought their ST's get for their hard earned money? I think it is pretty obvious that access to virtual ST will be thrown their way.

We just have to wait and see how the club propose to deal with this but as I have said previously they will want to retain as much ST money as they can and most fans understand and accept this just as long as they are not being fleeced.

How does it work, if i pay say £750 for my season ticket and get the virtual season ticket included in that price.

However someone else in another area of the stadium is paying £500 and getting the virtual season ticket included in their season ticket?

Need more answers, paying £250 more for the same service isn't an option.
Totally agree. Closed doors games means we should all be paying for the cheapest seat in the stadium. If IF we get back, then they can talk about premium seat location prices.
They surely won't even dare to ask someone for even a penny to watch this?

They are really trying their hardest to start next season at all costs after making bugger all effort to finish this season! Strange that eh. i smell rhats.

Will we have to pay to watch away games or will they be on regular Sky or will there be no Spl games on regular Sky Sports

Will we have to pay to watch away games or will they be on regular Sky or will there be no Spl games on regular Sky Sports

Sky Sports have 48 games as per their contract on their normal channels

17 Rangers aways
17 Celtic aways
4 Rangers v Celtic

plus another 10 matches which are unknown at this time

These c*nts will do anything to generate money.No doubt it will be inflated prices and smarmy Jim White will probably be involved in it.

But is there not a virtual season ticket for every club so any game on regular Sky Sports would be a free game

I‘m still catching up on this but my understanding is that Sky will allow clubs to sell a virtual season ticket to view matches via their club tv stream. That will get them home games just as a season ticket would. Nothing more. Numbers will be limited to the number if season ticket holders you had in season 19/20. If you want the away games my understanding is that you will be expected to view it on Sky Sports not RangersTV.

As I say, still catching up but that’s my understanding. Sky, understandably, want their slice of the pie too.

Last edited:
I‘m still catching up on this but my understanding is that Sky will allow clubs to sell a virtual season ticket to view matches via their club tv stream. That will get them home games just as a season ticket would. Nothing more. If you want the away games my understanding is that you will be expected to view it on Sky Sports not RangersTV.

As I say, still catching up but that’s my understanding. Sky, understandably, want their slice of the pie too.
Yeah it will hopefully become clearer in the coming days

I’m pretty sure I’ve got it right. It’s the clubs selling the ‘virtual season ticket’ and a season ticket only gets you home games.

My understanding is that clubs have a limited number of 'virtual season tickets' to sell. Once that number is sold, you'll have to watch games through SKY. For example, we have 46,000 virtual tickets to sell based on last season's season tickets.

All of our away games will be viewed by SKY, unless you're overseas and watch via RTV. Let's hope Rangers have 'difficulty' in detecting VPNs...

No I get that my original point was if every club had a virtual season ticket no game would be on normal sky sports

If you look at it from clubs other than the OF. For example, Motherwell. They will probably be on Sky Sports a maximum of 4 times from Fir Park - twice against us and twice against the Dhims. They will be allowed to make the game available to ‘virtual season ticket’ holders in the UK via MotherwellTV - but limited to the number of season ticket holders they had in season 19/20. Probably less than 1000 people. There will still, therefore, be a demand to see it on Sky Sports.

You could say the same about most of the other clubs in the Premiership to varying degrees. As @rangeral points out, there will only be a maximum of 10 games shown on Sky Sports that don’t involve either Rangers or the Dhims.

If you look at it from clubs other than the OF. For example, Motherwell. They will probably be on Sky Sports a maximum of 4 times from Fir Park - twice against us and twice against the Dhims. They will be allowed to make the game available to ‘virtual season ticket’ holders in the UK via MotherwellTV - but limited to the number of season ticket holders they had in season 19/20. Probably less than 1000 people. There will still, therefore, be a demand to see it on Sky Sports.

You could say the same about most of the other clubs in the Premiership to varying degrees. As @rangeral points out, there will only be a maximum of 10 games shown on Sky Sports that don’t involve either Rangers or the Dhims.

I doubt Sky would make any of their games no matter how many season tickets holders each clubs has available to shown via Virtual Season Ticket

I doubt Sky would make any of their games no matter how many season tickets holders each clubs has available to shown via Virtual Season Ticket

I'm wondering about this as well but when you think about it Sky wouldn't be losing out on viewers in normal circumstances anyway as the 46-47,000 VST viewers would've been at the match anyway.

I think Only way you can watch the home games is if you have a ST non ST holders wont get the chance to get the virtual ST

I'm wondering about this as well but when you think about it Sky wouldn't be losing out on viewers in normal circumstances anyway as the 46-47,000 VST viewers would've been at the match anyway.

Yeah but maybe more to do with protecting their contracts

It wouldn’t be a ‘season ticket’ then, would it?;) As I’ve said in another thread, we’ve yet to see the fine detail on this. Using the example I quote (Motherwell) then only circa 1000 of their fans (season ticket holders) would get to see their home matches - and it wouldn’t include their games against either of the OF. In the case of Hearts, if in the top flight, they wouldn’t get to watch games against Rangers, the Dhims or Hibs. It becomes a much less attractive package for season ticket holders then.

It wouldn’t be a ‘season ticket’ then, would it?;) As I’ve said in another thread, we’ve yet to see the fine detail on this. Using the example I quote (Motherwell) then only circa 1000 of their fans (season ticket holders) would get to see their home matches - and it wouldn’t include their games against either of the OF. In the case of Hearts, if in the top flight, they wouldn’t get to watch games against Rangers, the Dhims or Hibs. It becomes a much less attractive package for season ticket holders then.

As you say the finer details have still annouced

I'm I just imagining this, but was it not confirmed last year that the use of a vpn and RTV didn't work now?? I cancelled my RTV sub because I believed this. Have I imagined this.

I'm I just imagining this, but was it not confirmed last year that the use of a vpn and RTV didn't work now?? I cancelled my RTV sub because I believed this. Have I imagined this.
I would imagine it would depend which VPN you use.
Normally the very best ones like Express VPN get round almost every website. The cheaper ones can fall over far easier.

Maybe I’m over simplifying things but if sky had a £5.5m claw back option why the hell did we not just do what they did in England and finish the season behind closed doors?

The only real obstacle would have been contracts expiring but surely teams in the top league could have worked around it.

The whole thing is baffling
I think we all know the reason behind that now

RangersTV works with a VPN. There’s been no indication that there will be any change to that. It is possible to block VPNs should they choose to go down that route but, as I said, no indication it would happen. Sounds like you jumped too soon based on a rumour.

I guess that the deal allowing RTV to show games does not include Old Firm or important games that sky will show themselves?

It seems to me that this 'virtual season ticket' will be free to all season ticket holders and on sale to everyone else resident in the UK to watch all our home games only.

It's likely that Sky/The SPFL will get a cut or limit the number of virtual season tickets each club can sell/give away.

I suspect it will be better value to subscribe to Rangers TV and pay a small monthly fee on top of that (a few quid a month) for a VPN to watch every Rangers game, home and away, with 100% of the money going to the club.

I hope supporters that can will take up the second option, giving the money to the club instead of using their money to prop up the SPFL.

RangersTV works with a VPN. There’s been no indication that there will be any change to that. It is possible to block VPNs should they choose to go down that route but, as I said, no indication it would happen. Sounds like you jumped too soon based on a rumour.
You can block most of them but I’ve never heard of Express being blocked for anything.
It’s the only reliable one for me in China, I’ve tried others, but with most I can’t get on things like Bet365, UK National Lottery, Sky Go etc, but Express seems to work with everything. It’s not cheap though, probably the most expensive one out there but if you use it a lot then it’s worth it.

You can block most of them but I’ve never heard of Express being blocked for anything.
It’s the only reliable one for me in China, I’ve tried others, but with most I can’t get on things like Bet365, UK National Lottery, Sky Go etc, but Express seems to work with everything. It’s not cheap though, probably the most expensive one out there but if you use it a lot then it’s worth it.

Express are probably the best out there. Every time Netflix USA block one of their servers Express simply set up a new one. Most of the good VPNs do similar but Express are quicker off the mark than most. It is expensive, even on a 1 year deal, but, on occasion, they do a good discount on a longer term deal - usually 3 years.

Express are probably the best out there. Every time Netflix USA block one of their servers Express simply set up a new one. Most of the good VPNs do similar but Express are quicker off the mark than most. It is expensive, even on a 1 year deal, but, on occasion, they do a good discount on a longer term deal - usually 3 years.
Yeah that’s my experience of them as well.
My 1 year deal ended last month and since I’ve been stuck at home I’ve got no use for it.
However when this finally dies down, life gets back to something like normality and I get back to China I’ll take another subscription, it’s worth it.

It seems to me that this 'virtual season ticket' will be free to all season ticket holders and on sale to everyone else resident in the UK to watch all our home games only.

It's likely that Sky/The SPFL will get a cut or limit the number of virtual season tickets each club can sell/give away.

I suspect it will be better value to subscribe to Rangers TV and pay a small monthly fee on top of that (a few quid a month) for a VPN to watch every Rangers game, home and away, with 100% of the money going to the club.

I hope supporters that can will take up the second option, giving the money to the club instead of using their money to prop up the SPFL.

As things stand I think your first para is incorrect, even if it does make sense. It seems numbers will be limited to ONLY 46k season ticket holders. The info so far, however, has been sparse and a little unclear.

For a non-season ticket holder the way to go is RangersTV and a VPN and get all matches, home and away, for £24 per month plus the cost of your VPN.

Bear with me ,so if i have bought a season ticket already is their an option for Rangers to get some additional income out of this deal by selling games on standalone bases or will sky/spfl somehow cream off some rangers money since it appears its rangers equipment and services being used

Bear with me ,so if i have bought a season ticket already is their an option for Rangers to get some additional income out of this deal by selling games on standalone bases or will sky/spfl somehow cream off some Rangers money since it appears its Rangers equipment and services being used

Still unclear what will happen but as a STH you will get access to our games

In term of you last bit we don't own any broadcast rights and are been given permission under this agreement to broadcast games via Rangers TV, if there a standalone one-off payment per game then yes maybe a small precentage may go to the SPFL or Sky if that happens

As things stand I think your first para is incorrect, even if it does make sense. It seems numbers will be limited to ONLY 46k season ticket holders. The info so far, however, has been sparse and a little unclear.

For a non-season ticket holder the way to go is RangersTV and a VPN and get all matches, home and away, for £24 per month plus the cost of your VPN.
I got a three year deal with nord for €130 when rtv changed the feed provider.plenty of good deals if you look for them with the top vpn providers

I got a three year deal with nord for €130 when rtv changed the feed provider.plenty of good deals if you look for them with the top vpn providers

I got much the same with Private Internet Access, might even have been slightly cheaper. ExpressVPN and NordVPN seem top dogs with the former probably just getting top spot. Well worth the investment if you are intending using RangersTV in the UK or RoI on a regular basis. If only every UK-based subscriber would get a decent VPN I could 'retire' myself from the endless RangersTV threads.:)

I dread to think what's coming when this VST kicks in.:)

I got much the same with Private Internet Access, might even have been slightly cheaper. ExpressVPN and NordVPN seem top dogs with the former probably just getting top spot. Well worth the investment if you are intending using RangersTV in the UK or RoI on a regular basis. If only every UK-based subscriber would get a decent VPN I could 'retire' myself from the endless RangersTV threads.:)

I dread to think what's coming when this VST kicks in.:)
Your going to be a busy man.FF’s resident rtv agony uncle :D

Back