Voiding league not an option according UEFA

Teams will argue that they cannot sell new season tickets for the existing season and this is revenue they rely on.

End of the day, this doesn't suit anyone (teams who are potential winners of the league too) having to play to a finish - especially when you think about how long is potentially left of a lockdown.

Voiding leagues will be off the table as it's not their remit to play judge and jury on domestic competitions.

Null and void isn’t happening, it’s obvious, supposing there is a 6 month wait, regardless of circumstance, squads etc, they will play this season out.

I imagine UEFA's play to a finish for the Champions League is exactly the same as the story about the EPL being played to a finish behind closed doors in June and July, one last desperate attempt from them to avoid needing to provide rebates on their lucrative television deals. They're not concerned about the little teams in the leagues throughout the continent to them its about having to give money back for not fulfilling commitments to broadcasters and sponsors.

Have said it before and will again that player contracts expiring on 30 June is the biggest issue and one I can't see them getting around. UEFA and FIFA have talked about extending player contracts can you see the players and agents saying yeah that's fine i'll just put off my lucrative move for a couple of months. Wouldn't put it past agents to hold clubs and UEFA to ransom over extensions.

Null and void isn’t happening, it’s obvious, supposing there is a 6 month wait, regardless of circumstance, squads etc, they will play this season out.
I don’t see how they can play it out

players contracts expire/managers changing

null and void is only option unless it could go back to normal before the end of June and that definitely won’t be happening

And when Hamilton lose a pile of OOC players where Hearts can sign more and Accies end up relegated...?

Clubs wont survive past the summer if they cant pull in new season's TV, sponsorship and ST cash.

There's no possible way to complete these leagues in a fair manner.

All of this just shows that money runs football.

If it was about the fans and the enjoyment of watching a game of football, then it would be an easy decision.

But no, our governing bodies are worried about sponsorship and worried about not upsetting the ‘big’ European teams. I mean, countries like England getting 4 or 5 places for a competition branded the CHAMPIONS League was a huge joke even before this pandemic.

UEFA are all for themselves. They don’t care about the fans, the idea of sportsmanship or sporting integrity. Corrupt.

The problem they have isn't so much finishing this season, it's how to complete next seasons European competitions.

This seasons could go to one leg - and could be staged in a tournament style in Istanbul as suggested. But given next seasons European competition needs all leagues to have finished before it can start that's a massive problem.

They could void the league and run with last seasons entrants.

They could go with current league positions - but then the likes of Manchester Utd, Roma and Athletico all miss out. You also need to wait to know the winner of the Europa League - if Man Utd win that and our outside top 4 in EPL they would get in the Champions League.

There's basically no easy options.

They should stop pissing about. There is no chance of football before late August/ September. Time they started living in the real world, accept that fact and start making some decisions on how we move forward. Clubs need to start making plans including selling season tickets and players contracts. They are entitled to the governing body showing some leadership instead of farting about and making stupid statements

Clubs that will depend on next season's season ticket money need to start selling those soon to bring that revenue in from June and beyond.
You are not selling next season's season tickets whilst the current season lingers on at best until late Aug/ early Sep.

Suppose clubs could do what golf clubs are doing. Take the money regardless of chances of playing.

They need to park all decisions on the future until June at the very earliest. There is no point in deciding anything at the moment. At least by June we will have a good indication on what the future is looking like.

If there is a 6 month wait they won't be able to play the season out anyway, because clubs will have gone under.

With the current death tolls and rising daily this conference is too early to be having as no one knows where we are. UEFA are shameless crooks. This is about money.

Im not a doctor or health expert but do these clowns at uefa put the news channels on? FFS there will be NO football til Aug/Sep at Least. I can see them worrying about money and tv deals but surely these companies sponsoring the competitions can see they cant be completed on time and will have some sort of insurance in place?

They acknowledge that some clubs in the lower leagues are in danger of going out of business just now and that they need to protect them. They, likewise, acknowledge that a lot of people's livelihood comes through football and they need to work to help them - How does holding back payments to clubs for 6 months until they can complete the season and playing games behind close doors help either of those situations. It doesn't. As others have said they are only interested in themselves and protecting the finances of the major clubs and those in positions of power within the various footballing authorities.

There is a nettle that will have to be grasped by all football authorities and make no mistake it will be grasped at some point. As the body count mounts money is still dictating UEFA and the top five leagues' stance but that position will in the end be unsustainable.

It is fairly defective thinking to ruin two seasons when next season could be saved by abandoning this one.

In the end all leagues will be null and void.

Probably announce everyone will wear a hazmat kit universally developed in collaboration with all the big manufacturers

I’d have thought that Scottish Premiership teams would want to null and void this season, start next season ASAP so they can sell season tickets, is that not just about the biggest income for each team?

One solution we have up here is playing this seasons games whenever it can be done
Following season would be 22 game season but as others have said. When will it start, will we still have 12 teams and would a player who is out of contract be willing to stay on and wait around.

Im not a doctor or health expert but do these clowns at uefa put the news channels on? FFS there will be NO football til Aug/Sep at Least. I can see them worrying about money and tv deals but surely these companies sponsoring the competitions can see they cant be completed on time and will have some sort of insurance in place?
Canal plus already withholding £150m from the French league .

With the current death tolls and rising daily this conference is too early to be having as no one knows where we are. UEFA are shameless crooks. This is about money.

all companies are having conferences as when they can get back to work and what they’ll do, I was involved in one yesterday.

The whole of football is fucked. The sooner UEFA, the Associations, clubs and fans accept, embrace it and try to find a solution, the better.

That's not to say we, the fans, should do anything but we need to accept that difficult times are ahead.

Good luck to Uefa trying to tell Real Madrid that Barcelona are the champions with 11 games to play and 2 points between the sides if the games can’t be played.

Something like £22,000,000 in prize money in La Liga between the champions and 2nd place that’s a huge slice of money to give up for Madrid especially now.

If they don’t void they’ll create some mess all over Europe with this nonsense. Teams will be in court for months if not years because of this.

I've said for weeks now that, assuming the world gets back to some sort of normality come September or so, these current leagues have to just be voided and a plan put in place for the 20/21 season starting at some point to give teams time to plan. Possibly making it a half season starting in January 2021...

All the talk about players contracts is absolute nonsense. They can talk all they want about it but it won’t make a bit of difference, as a third party can’t extend a contract without the clubs and players agreeing.

Clubs who are already struggling financially will be desperate to get rid of high earners when the deals expire. Players at the end of their contract aren’t going to risk their next 4 year deal by extending for 2 or 3 months and potentially injuring themselves.

For safety sake, they should just restart leagues and competitions about January. They can let football clubs start to assemble about November to allow for fitness (if safe to do so by then.

Then they only have to play all leagues and competitions to a conclusion, and hopefully restart as usual in July/August 2021

This is all utterly baffling to me. It's incredibly simple. No honours awarded, no promotion or relegation, prize money allocated based on current standings, season is finished.

There literally does not need to be any more discussion around the thing. It's getting to the 'Who gives a %^*&' stage now. People dying in their thousands every day really puts this into perspective

Have said it before and will again that player contracts expiring on 30 June is the biggest issue and one I can't see them getting around. UEFA and FIFA have talked about extending player contracts can you see the players and agents saying yeah that's fine i'll just put off my lucrative move for a couple of months. Wouldn't put it past agents to hold clubs and UEFA to ransom over extensions.

They'll just open up the transfer windows and allow teams to register new players to replace any that have left. It could make the final stages of the European comps a farce but it is the only way to do it really. I don't think they can force players to extend their contracts.

The article claims they will finish the current season, regardless of how long it takes and also says they are confident of next season being played as normal.

Just how far up their own arses do these guys have their heads buried?

Back