VPN Query

theweeman

Official Ticketer
Can anyone tell me if it's in any way possible to use a VPN via my smart tv? I have a Sony Bravia 4k tv, and I'd like to be able to watch protected content via my TV, if possible.

For example, if I want to watch something via Kodi (note to admin - I'm NOT discussing "stealing TV"), the Kodi app is on the TV itself (as opposed to a firestick or similar), so I'm not using a browser to try and go via a VPN.

Similarly, if I want to watch Rangers TV directly on my TV using a VPN, would this be possible at all also?

My laptop doesn't have HDMI output (despite being very new), so the option of linking via cable isn't there.

I have Sky fibre, with the standard sky router, so I'm not sure there's a way to VPN all traffic that goes via the router so that, in effect, all devices connected to it are via a VPN?

Any help hugely appreciated!

Can anyone tell me if it's in any way possible to use a VPN via my smart tv? I have a Sony Bravia 4k tv, and I'd like to be able to watch protected content via my TV, if possible.

For example, if I want to watch something via Kodi (note to admin - I'm NOT discussing "stealing TV"), the Kodi app is on the TV itself (as opposed to a firestick or similar), so I'm not using a browser to try and go via a VPN.

Similarly, if I want to watch Rangers TV directly on my TV using a VPN, would this be possible at all also?

My laptop doesn't have HDMI output (despite being very new), so the option of linking via cable isn't there.

I have Sky fibre, with the standard sky router, so I'm not sure there's a way to VPN all traffic that goes via the router so that, in effect, all devices connected to it are via a VPN?

Any help hugely appreciated!

Think you need to connect another one and use it as a router or something. One of the techie guys should be along soon with the correct info

If you have a Chromecast plugged into the TV, and have a suitable tablet or laptop, you can "cast" from the device to the TV. Chromecast around £25 from retailers. I used my Tesco Hudl :rolleyes: to cast STV and other non-available channels to the TV via Mobdro

You want a router that has VPN support built in. All you do is select your provider and enter your login details. The router itself will encrypt all traffic from devices connected.

If you type "VDSL router VPN" into amazon that will set you on the right track.

There will be other ways but this is far the easiest and the router will be a step up from the ISP provided

I have my router flashed with DWRT this allows you to put certain devices through the VPN by setting up which goes through the VPN. Although you might find someone who knows a bit to do it as it's pretty easy to upload the wrong firmware and brick the router.

If you have a WRT based router then you can do it so everything that passes your router is in a VPN tunnel.

if you don't you would need a vpn app for you tv, which might either be from your VPN provider or if a free generic one which you then put in openVPN info so only the tv would have a VPN tunnel.

WRT routers vary in price, you can get them pre flashed or flash yourself, they not that hard to do m8, just make sure you have the correct router and revision firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

find info on routers there to see if yours can be flashed by using the router database.

If you have a WRT based router then you can do it so everything that passes your router is in a VPN tunnel.

if you don't you would need a vpn app for you tv, which might either be from your VPN provider or if a free generic one which you then put in openVPN info so only the tv would have a VPN tunnel.

WRT routers vary in price, you can get them pre flashed or flash yourself, they not that hard to do m8, just make sure you have the correct router and revision firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

find info on routers there to see if yours can be flashed by using the router database.
The good thing about WRT routers is the fact you can create rules and choose which devices go through the VPN tunnel.

Back