RTV/VST Viewers - Tips and Help - Updated With App Info

Silk on firestick won't be any good?

Silk is generally recommended for Firestick.

RangersTV seem to have 'solved' the browser issue but if you still encounter problems then Edge or Chrome seem the best bet (they are virtually identical under the hood these days anyway).

No reason at all why it wouldn't cope. Most folk who encounter problems can put it down to poor/cheap VPNs for those in the UK.

Wee tip, once you get the stream running click on the Settings cog and change it from Auto to 1080p. Can make a big difference. If you still get buffering drop it another step. I've been at 360p in the past and the picture quality on a 24" monitor has been fine.

Last edited:
Always try and watch with a wired internet connection. 9/10 times when people complain about buffering it's because of a problem at their own end. A wired internet connection is much more reliable.

I have an Apple computer. Opera, with it's built in VPN, has always worked best for me. I always seemed to have buffering issues with Safari in combination with tunnelbear.

Hopefully posters will use this thread for their RangersTV questions.

Early evidence suggests they won't though. Board will be swamped with new RTV threads at this rate.

Now that VPN's are not required I'm hoping it won't matter so much what browser people use. Personally, I use Edge. My biggest concern for today is that fact that literally, tens of thousands of extra fans will be tuning in today. I hope RTV can handle it as let's be honest, it's been a shambles at times.

Now that VPN's are not required I'm hoping it won't matter so much what browser people use. Personally, I use Edge. My biggest concern for today is that fact that literally, tens of thousands of extra fans will be tuning in today. I hope RTV can handle it as let's be honest, it's been a shambles at times.

If you are on the unlimited (overseas) package and are watching via that - rather than as a VST viewer or PPV viewer - I'm not sure if the VPN might still be required. Its something I will try out later. My expectation is that it will still be required for those who haven't purchased the game or are not using the VST access.

If you are on the unlimited (overseas) package and are watching via that - rather than as a VST viewer or PPV viewer - I'm not sure if the VPN might still be required. Its something I will try out later. My expectation is that it will still be required for those who haven't purchased the game or are not using the VST access.

I am just the £5 pm RTV membership and bought today's game for £9.99. I was sure I read it was available in the UK?

I am just the £5 pm RTV membership and bought today's game for £9.99. I was sure I read it was available in the UK?

Yes it is. You are correct. My post was more aimed at those who have the Unlimited (overseas) subscription who've been asking if their VPN will still be required today.

To be clear, if you've bought the game on PPV or are a VST viewer you do NOT require a VPN.

Yes it is. You are correct. My post was more aimed at those who have the Unlimited (overseas) subscription who've been asking if their VPN will still be required today.

To be clear, if you've bought the game on PPV or are a VST viewer you do NOT require a VPN.

Ideal mate. Was in a little panic there as I've already cancelled my Nord VPN membership!

Was thinking of using Mozilla Firefox on laptop with HDMI cable to telly today.

stupit, or ok do we think?

Was thinking of using Mozilla Firefox on laptop with HDMI cable to telly today.

stupit, or ok do we think?

I did see a single report earlier this week of issues with Firefox. I use it as my back-up browser and its always worked with RangersTV for me. I much prefer Edge though.

Laptop/HDMI is the way to go though. Definitely.

Guys I’ve logged in to rangers live the screen says currently not broadcasting

video will play once broadcasting starts

is this me all set?

I am going to test it later without the vpn on the rtv app on my I phone and if it doesn’t need the vpn I’ll be able to cast it on my chromecast.if I need vpn as I expect I’ll watch in on my I pad

Guys I’ve logged in to Rangers live the screen says currently not broadcasting

is this me all set?

Unless they've taken it down now you should see a Watch Live button next to the St Mirren game. See Step 4 in the OP. If you click on it you should get the test stream.

See the OP. The bit where it says Accessing the live.Rangers.co.uk Website Test Stream
I've followed that, I don't see a "watch now" beside the St Mirren game. There is a "Watch live", when I click that I get a "currently not broadcasting screen".

That's maybe what I'm supposed to see?

I've followed that, I don't see a "watch now" beside the St Mirren game. There is a "Watch live", when I click that I get a "currently not broadcasting screen".

Just noticed a couple of posts say that. I'm wondering if they've now taken down the test stream. I can't access the 'live' site to test for myself though.

Anyone who's had it working before able to check it out and see if its still there (its still on the RangersTV 'real' site but I don't know about the 'live' site).

Reactions: TBM

td

that’s what I have mate hopefully that’s what we are liking for

VB’s time on providing advice and guidance is much appreciated.

But why did Rangers make it so difficult?

I’m not sure why your Rangers number can’t get you access to RTV without a separate log in. Why not just access normal RTV? Why show content on RTV that you can’t access, its also not even clear you’re logged in and everything is fine. When you register for RTV, you provide your Rangers no, so they must know you have a ST, so why do you need a redemption code?

Admittedly I’m a technophobe but there will be many thousands worse than me.

Will the app be a decent source for watching via phone? Or do we think we'd still be better launching from a specific web browser? Watching on phone at work loyal.

Will the app be a decent source for watching via phone? Or do we think we'd still be better launching from a specific web browser? Watching on phone at work loyal.

Most report the App as working well now. Remember, your code needs to have been redeemed - at some point - via the website though.

VB’s time on providing advice and guidance is much appreciated.

But why did Rangers make it so difficult?

I’m not sure why your Rangers number can’t get you access to RTV without a separate log in. Why not just access normal RTV? Why show content on RTV that you can’t access, its also not even clear you’re logged in and everything is fine. When you register for RTV, you provide your Rangers no, so they must know you have a ST, so why do you need a redemption code?

Admittedly I’m a technophobe but there will be many thousands worse than me.

Plenty have a Rangers Number without having a season ticket mate. They initially DID keep the VST package separate - in fact it still is on the 'live' website - for season ticket holders, so they didn't see the other RangersTV content. Also, initially VST viewers couldn't view via the App so, again, they didn't see unavailable RangersTV content. It was all changed due to horrendous issues, particularly with Apple devices, after the friendly games.

Debate for another day though.

Guys I’ve logged in to Rangers live the screen says currently not broadcasting

is this me all set?

@student_loyal has kindly checked this out on another thread.

It looks like the test stream on the 'live' page has been taken down now and you get this page. Which is a shame for the latecomers.

Reactions: TBM
Its probably way too late, and I've no doubt he will be run off his feet today, but maybe if @Greg Marshall looks in he could ask about getting the test stream back up on the 'live' website as a matter of urgency. Its still there on the 'real' RangersTV site and on the App - just not on the 'live' site as far as I can tell.

Right I can't even get the login page up

On rangers tv website on my TV and the whole site works except when you click on rtv login up the top right

Is it just me having the problem l?

On Rangers tv website on my TV and the whole site works except when you click on rtv login up the top right

I'd suggest the bit in bold is where your issue lies. SmartTV browsers are, generally, just not very good. Some work alright, some work badly, some don't work at all. Its a recurring theme on this thread.

What is it you are trying to do first? Are you a PPV viewer? Or are you a VST viewer? Have you redeemed your Access Code yet if its the latter?

Ultimately though, whatever it is, it looks like the SmartTV is at the root of it.

I don’t see a “Watch Now” or “Watch Live” option.

Only “Live Video”. And it says subscribe or buy across the image. When I click to play, I get a screen with Aberdeen vs Rangers graphic.

Is this what others are seeing?

Sorry if this has already been answered but can you watch on the iPhone RTV App and cast to Chromecast ?

From the RangersTV FAQ:

Yes, you will be able to cast to a smart TV via:

• Desktop browsers: Chromecast (Chrome) and AirPlay (Safari)
  • Mobile browsers: Chromecast (Chrome) and AirPlay (Safari)

On Rangers tv website on my TV and the whole site works except when you click on rtv login up the top right

It doesn’t work on Smart TV browsers. You either need to watch on your phone or tablet and cast to your TV or watch on a desktop PC, laptop or Mac.

Back