Vydra at Burnley

Coza

We were obviously close to signing this lad in January until Burnley pulled the plug and he had since played well for them - much to my annoyance.

Is this option now dead in the water or do you think we will again show interest? The player sounded keen which was promising.

Have to be honest when I got the standard you tube clip I was properly excited by the lad. He looked a very complete striker and while maybe lacking Morelos physicality had heaps of attributes Morelos will never have. He looked a brilliant option to replace Morelos with to me. Hopefully we go back and try get him.

I think the chance came and went then all of a sudden he managed to get a good run in the Burnley team.

You never know but I doubt we will go back in for him.

We were obviously close to signing this lad in January until Burnley pulled the plug and he had since played well for them - much to my annoyance.

Is this option now dead in the water or do you think we will again show interest? The player sounded keen which was promising.

Have to be honest when I got the standard you tube clip I was properly excited by the lad. He looked a very complete striker and while maybe lacking Morelos physicality had heaps of attributes Morelos will never have. He looked a brilliant option to replace Morelos with to me. Hopefully we go back and try get him.

If we sell Morelos I think he could be top of our list.
I’d be very happy with that.

I think the chance came and went then all of a sudden he managed to get a good run in the Burnley team.

My worry is not so much Burnley but another EPL club think wtf why not take a punt on him based on his post January form.

If Morelos goes we would need two strikers at the very least.

The problem being are we going to get big money for Morelos? After New Year he just downed tools, looked unfit and uninterested. Will there still be clubs willing topay what he is really worth? I think the club need to play this one carefully. But Ross Wilson has impressed me so far so I have confidence he will get the best deals for us.

He got the opportunity at Burnley because of injuries to Barnes and Wood - I still think he'll be behind those two when fit.

I think given the way Burnley acted in January we may look elsewhere

Think the other one will be Dykes.

I don't think he's the answer we need someone of similar quality there to push Morelos if he stays.

As for Defoe he will be limited to his appearances next season it frustrates me that we don't play to his strengths or play someone up beside him either way he will 3rd choice next season whether he likes it or not.

The problem being are we going to get big money for Morelos? After New Year he just downed tools, looked unfit and uninterested. Will there still be clubs willing topay what he is really worth? I think the club need to play this one carefully. But Ross Wilson has impressed me so far so I have confidence he will get the best deals for us.

Probably not but do you honestly believe the management will trust him again he's a marked guy on and off the pitch and to see his great form disappear and for him to effectively chuck it after the winter break was unforgivable as much as I've backed the guy to the hilt the Scottish Cup no show looked to me to be the final straw with him.

I don't think he's the answer we need someone of similar quality there to push Morelos if he stays.

As for Defoe he will be limited to his appearances next season it frustrates me that we don't play to his strengths or play someone up beside him either way he will 3rd choice next season whether he likes it or not.
If it’s Vydra Defoe and Dykes next season that would do me.

Morelos simply has to move on for his sake and our team.
The refs and rags and will make his life a hell next season we can’t afford for him to bite on the park.

Probably not but do you honestly believe the management will trust him again he's a marked guy on and off the pitch and to see his great form disappear and for him to effectively chuck it after the winter break was unforgivable as much as I've backed the guy to the hilt the Scottish Cup no show looked to me to be the final straw with him.

I agree with you bud. If he does stay he needs to get the finger out and pay back that loyalty that we have all shown him. January onwards was simply not good enough from him. I hope he proves us all wrong, stays on, scores thirty odd goals and fires us to 55.

The refs and rags and will make his life a hell next season we can’t afford for him to bite on the park.

Won’t be popular but your last two sentences are spot on.

It’s time for a parting of the ways.

I would put a lot of that down to a team loss of form mate,

A focused Morelos for a season would be great.
However i think he s lost interest/bored.
Defoe will not have played competitve football for at least 4 months when it returns.
At 37 and injuries, its hard to see him playing any more than 30 games next season.
We do need strikers as in the summer of 2021 , there will be no morelos or defoe.

I would love us to sign him but just cant see it. The games he had before the shutdown showed he is still epl quality.

A focused Morelos for a season would be great.
However i think he s lost interest/bored.
Defoe will not have played competitve football for at least 4 months when it returns.
At 37 and injuries, its hard to see him playing any more than 30 games next season.
We do need strikers as in the summer of 2021 , there will be no morelos or defoe.

Mate even if he’s focused 100% he simply won’t be allowed to get on with playing fitba especially next season.
He will be targeted by the boot boys,bent refs and lawlells poodles in the media.

It’s a side show we don’t need and it’s a disgrace that it’s come to this.

He got the opportunity at Burnley because of injuries to Barnes and Wood - I still think he'll be behind those two when fit.

Don't think they behaved too outrageously. They didn't want to let him go because they couldn't find a replacement in time. Can't recall them doing a 180 on the deal.

We need someone to help take the pressure of Alfie. He has the fire in his belly and whilst this drives him on, it makes it too easy to wind him up. Another striker who can rotate (of similar style and quality) would help us tremendously. Whether we can afford that is another issue.

Don't think they behaved too outrageously. They didn't want to let him go because they couldn't find a replacement in time. Can't recall them doing a 180 on the deal.

Exactly. They were willing to consider loaning him to us in the first place. They behaved as any other club would / should in the situation.

I don’t think anyone is buying Morelos this summer. His form after Christmas was shocking, he has the reputation now as having poor discipline and with the current situation with COVID, transfer fees are naturally going to decline.

I reckon he’s here for another season.

I actually think Burnley will want to bring someone else in as well

Last edited:

Just before lockdown started was he not getting less minutes? Thought I seen he was only playing 60 minutes or being subbed on for 30.

Morelos isn't the biggest but he is, well as strong as a buffalo. Would Vydra have the physical presence to play upfront on his own in our funny wee league. Add in Kent and Hagi, pretty lightweight upfront if we went for that.

I’m hoping Morelos stays and dominates what will likely be some young defenders throughout the league, with the opposing fans being away in the short term he could flourish, needs to knuckle down if he’s to get his big move!

Vydra I would take but I think the English market is overpriced and generally lets us down!

Morelos, Vydra, and Defoe is the type of quality we need.

There are question marks over Defoe. He looked to be losing it before the lay off. He should clearly be third in line. Morelos is an exceptional striker, but he can go off form and clearly needs competition. Vydra has a scattered career and limited game time recently but has obvious quality.

I think the option of all 3 is precisely what we need.

I think Vydra is exactly the kind of player we should pull out all of the stops to sign. His quality is clearly apparent. God knows we have squandered enough money on overpriced duds and mediocrities over the last couple of years, how welcome it would be then to sign someone who could justify the fee and live up to the billing.

Sadly a lot has changed, 6 month deal and he had a Euro place for the Czechs to try and make. Finances for a longer deal considering he cost what £9m must be a lot harder now. The deal seemed to align a lot more in January and I just don't see it now.
Ideal scenario for Burnley to save some wages, get a player in the shop window and perhaps perform on the global stage in the summer no longer exists

Vydra is a drop in quality compared to Morelos. I rate him highly and want him to sign, but not as our number one striker.

Celtic skelped the league after Christmas with Edouard and Griffiths up front. You could say Vydra is on the level of Griffiths, but Edouard is quite a bit better. We need someone of that quality or not far off, like Morelos is.

Grbic, Vydra and Defoe is on another planet to Vydra, Dykes and Defoe.

A quality player.However not a player who can play as a lone striker. He is better facing the goal and has scored all his goals just off a main striker. If we were to continue to play the 2 number 10s, he would fit into a more central one of those but where does that leave Kent and Hagi?

Vydra is a drop in quality compared to Morelos. I rate him highly and want him to sign, but not as our number one striker.

Celtic skelped the league after Christmas with Edouard and Griffiths up front. You could say Vydra is on the level of Griffiths, but Edouard is quite a bit better. We need someone of that quality or not far off, like Morelos is.

Grbic, Vydra and Defoe is on another planet to Vydra, Dykes and Defoe.

Vydra is far better than Griffiths. FWIW I think he is better than Morelos too.

Morelos, Vydra, and Defoe is the type of quality we need.

There are question marks over Defoe. He looked to be losing it before the lay off. He should clearly be third in line. Morelos is an exceptional striker, but he can go off form and clearly needs competition. Vydra has a scattered career and limited game time recently but has obvious quality.

I think the option of all 3 is precisely what we need.

Defo was most certainly not looking like he had lost it at all he was our top scorer in the league equalling just about a goal every game he played.

If that’s showing signs of losing it I’ll take that.

Back