Wage cap on youth players?

Giovanni Van Henry

Was at the pub last night and me and my mates were saying it's ashame how much money has ruined football especially for young players. Was wondering if anyone thinks having a wage cap on under 21 players would be a huge benefit to the game? It's not fair on clubs when the richest hoover up the best prospects with big money contracts and also ruins some young players careers with players letting any hype they get go to their head

Totally agree, my mates son plays for an SPL club, he is 19 and earns a basic £500 a week, win bonus usually doubles his wage. It's disgusting the money being given to young kids down south and abroad, I fully get that it's a short career and take the big money when you can get it, who wouldn't, I just feel it's getting way out of control the money involved.

Totally agree, my mates son plays for an SPL club, he is 19 and earns a basic £500 a week, win bonus usually doubles his wage. It's disgusting the money being given to young kids down south and abroad, I fully get that it's a short career and take the big money when you can get it, who wouldn't, I just feel it's getting way out of control the money involved.
Gilmour will be earning ten times the lad’s wages you mention, perhaps more and the inability of the authorities to tackle the tactics of Chelsea and man city in terms of industrial youth farming, allows this to continue, at the detriment of clubs like Rangers.

We also touched on 2 or 3 u21s from the clubs nation have to be in the starting lineup every game.. It would be similar to what's happening in Russia but no as bad as theyve done it I'm sure they have to have 5-6 Russian players in their starting lineup which is far too much especially for clubs like us whos national teams are pish. But I think the wages cap and this idea could be really good for football but I know its only wishful thinking and and the games gonna get crazier more expensive and more ridiculous

Huge sums of money in the game in England. If it wasn't going to players, young kids included, it would just end up back in the pockets of the rich owners. Folk are awffy quick to moan about players getting paid too much.

Would love to see their reactions if somebody wanted to pay them silly money for working on a building site, in a shop, in an office etc when they were 19 or 20. No, that's all right, just pay me 10% of that money, it would be far too much for a young man of my age.

The problem is that they can still go to the bigger clubs. Cap their wages and they might stay put. They also might fancy their chances at Chelsea or spurs or whoever is offering them a chance.

Huge sums of money in the game in England. If it wasn't going to players, young kids included, it would just end up back in the pockets of the rich owners. Folk are awffy quick to moan about players getting paid too much.

Would love to see their reactions if somebody wanted to pay them silly money for working on a building site, in a shop, in an office etc when they were 19 or 20. No, that's all right, just pay me 10% of that money, it would be far too much for a young man of my age.
People don’t have loyalty towards companies like they do football clubs or pay money to watch people work on building sites, shops or offices.

A good idea but for as long as the authorities allow a 19 year old Mbappe to earn £290k pw, it will not change. Not sure how compatible it is with EU employment law?
It's ridiculous and I don't want to bore you mate. Mbappe is worth that money in today's market. That's all it is. Football is batshit crazy now unfortunately

The problem is that they can still go to the bigger clubs. Cap their wages and they might stay put. They also might fancy their chances at Chelsea or spurs or whoever is offering them a chance.
That's fair enough that they can still go but at least it would be for footballing reasons and the player will obviously put in more effort as he tries to break into their team.

It's ridiculous and I don't want to bore you mate. Mbappe is worth that money in today's market. That's all it is. Football is batshit crazy now unfortunately
I don’t disagree with his talent but there needs to be effective punishment. When you have a guy earning £290k a week at his age, without a successful deterrent, what’s to stop this diving to continue. Say it gets to a CL final, he will be inclined to do whatever it takes, even if that is blatant cheating. Fining him has zero effect.

Wages are killing the game so leave them to it!

Our aim needs to be giving youth game time. We need to find a way.
Personally I'd want 3 under 21's in every game. 2 home grown as a minimum.
Not on the Bench..in the team and starting.

I'd set a league rule. 20 bonus points at the end of the season if you meet the criteria and start 3 unders in every league game.
That gets them employment flowers out the loop. It's merely and encouragement system to reward home grown talent. Opt out of you like but forfit the 20 points if you do.

Wages are killing the game so leave them to it. They need game time. We need to find a way.
Personally I'd want 3 under 21's in every game. 2 home minimum
Not on the Bench..in the team and starting.

I'd set a league rule. 20 bonus points at the end of the season if you meet the criteria and start 3 unders in every league game.
That gets them employment flowers out the loop. It's merely and encouragement system to reward home grown talent. Opt out of you like but forfit the 20 points if you do.
I like the idea but competition law probably prevents it?

Wage caps but with big bonus / incentives when/if they make it into the first team etc.
not sure what or how to do it exactly but something needs to be done.

What completion law? Surley the SPL and championship could make this a rule.
As a business, if your chances of success are more or less ruled out from the get-go, ie by a 20 point deduction, then surely you are impacting on their chances of succeeding as a business.

As a business, if your chances of success are more or less ruled out from the get-go, ie by a 20 point deduction, then surely you are impacting on their chances of succeeding as a business.
Even if your choosing to forfit the guaranteed points on offer? It's not like you can't meet the criteria.

It’s been going on for years. Leeds were reportedly paying Aaron Lennon 10k a week when he was 16.

I think players wages under 18 should be capped until they make a certain amount of first team appearances

Institute a total wage cap, say 100m per year in the English premier, this means that they can still sign the big money but they have to fill out the rest of their squads with guys on lower wages. It might mean that the better players get spread around more teams as they couldn't be hoovered up by one really wealthy team. It works to an extent in American sports

There will be ways around it unfortunately. Sponsorship deals etc clubs & agents will just become more creative.

The actual wages footballers earn should be capped at a respectable rate if they earn sponsorships etc that's outwith their wage then fair enough

Got a mate who plays with Rangers U16s and players in his team are already getting paid weekly, only about 3 of them actually get paid seems to be unfair if some in his team are getting paid and others are not

Maybe not a wage cap but what should happen is they should only get a small percentage of their wage, enough to get on etc and rest should be banned until they are older.
Clubs don’t do enough to help youngsters manage their money.
Say player earns £10k per week, they get £1k per week and rest is banked day until they are 23/24. That way if football isn’t working out then they have money to fall back on.

You can’t stop these young lads from earning as much as they can if someone is willing to pay it to them. Good enough you’re old enough and deserve to get paid the same regardless of your age.

Gilmour will be earning ten times the lad’s wages you mention, perhaps more and the inability of the authorities to tackle the tactics of Chelsea and man city in terms of industrial youth farming, allows this to continue, at the detriment of clubs like Rangers.

It's not just the wages, in most of these cases the clubs buy the parents a house to help sway the mind of the player towards signing for them.

21 is too old. Players if they are good enough will have been playing for at least 2 seasons while still being limited on what they can earn. 18 would be better.

That said you'd probably see teams just promising to pay them a lot more once they turn the age to compensate for the rule so i doubt it would make much of a difference

Got a mate who plays with Rangers U16s and players in his team are already getting paid weekly, only about 3 of them actually get paid seems to be unfair if some in his team are getting paid and others are not
Agree it seems unfair, but mainly age related. They can be paid once 16 and having completed 4 years at secondary school. The younger ones just have to wait until they meet that criteria or are considered worthy of a professional contract.

There are a number of different types of contract. Some involve expenses only, some a wage and some expenses and the very highly regarded a longer contract with signing on fee and a wage

What completion law? Surley the SPL and championship could make this a rule.

It's not going to working it's only done in this country.

As a country who regularly loses young talent to clubs down south, we wouldn't even get these players in the 1st place should the wagecap only apply domestically.

Needs to be done at a continental level at least, but the powerful clubs would kick that to the kerb before it gained any traction.

I do agree it's a problem but so long as the power is where it is nothing will change.

It's not going to working it's only done in this country.

As a country who regularly loses young talent to clubs down south, we wouldn't even get these players in the 1st place should the wagecap only apply domestically.

Needs to be done at a continental level at least, but the powerful clubs would kick that to the kerb before it gained any traction.

I do agree it's a problem but so long as the power is where it is nothing will change.
I never endorsed a wage cap. I endorsed a rule that said we would play 3 unders players. So we'd have a top flight where we guarantee we play them and incentives the teams to do so by offering bonus points of they do .

I don't care about other countries. I care that we offer the youngsters we nurture a route to play and progress.

Going to go against the grain here lads , My boy plays for a club and is only starting out but , the commitment from kids and parents alike for boys to get anywhere near that level is massive . IMO they deserve it .

Back