Goldson - £3m
Katic - £1.5m
Helender - £3.5
Edmundsom- free
Tav - £200k
Polster - free
Flannagan - free

That's what £10m get you.

You think Dembele and Rogers were on £10M a year combined?

That's £200k/week.
No, I don’t, I was deliberately exaggerating, replying to a poster saying a “chunk” would’ve came off their wage bill.
I’d read when Rogers was still there that he was on £2m a season.
Dembele, I’d say, £3m would still be exaggeration.

Good post on Kerrydale Meltdown:

"Celtic's summer strategy for one position: release a left-back, sell a left-back, buy a left-back who isn't a left-back, play key midfielder at left-back, lose £30m."

They will dissolve into a puddle of tears when we win 55.

They can afford it though as their revenues are through the roof compared to the rest of us.

Whether they are getting value for money for their wage bill is certainly another argument :eek: :D
Their revenues will again take a huge hit without CL income. We win 55 this season and they will have to undertake an even larger cost cutting exercise. And thats before CA costs in terms of legal fees, compensation and potential sponsors walking away.

All figures are comparable above, I’ve used the total wages and salaries cost for each football club and it covers all staff.

Cheers for clearing that up mate. I get a copy of our Annual Report but I’m away from home right now so don’t have access to it. So long as we are comparing apples with apples then all’s good.

So they were winning leagues with a wage bill millions more than the rest of the league combined.
What an acheivement .????
That’s irrelevant mate.

They won the leagues no matter what way you look at it

Look at all the top leagues. Most winners have millions more on wages than probably 90% of the rest

Their revenues will again take a huge hit without CL income. We win 55 this season and they will have to undertake an even larger cost cutting exercise. And thats before CA costs in terms of legal fees, compensation and potential sponsors walking away.

They will be fine. Tierney sale offsets the CL revenue loss.

Just in the same way Dembele offset it last year.

I don't particularly care about the PLC's financial position though when their team is getting progressively worse with each passing transfer window whilst we get stronger.

Seen a load of comments on Facebook and twitter about their wage bill - see below for the official amounts per the last set of accounts.

Wage costs per the last set of financial statements (and date of financial statements):

Celtic £59.3 million (June 2018)
Rangers £23.0 million (June 2018)
Hearts £7.0 million (June 2018)
Hibs £5.3 million (June 2018)
Aberdeen £8.6 million (June 2018)
Kilmarnock £3.1 million (May 2018)
So basically Celtic have a wage bill more than the rest of the league combined? Oh, to be "cash rich" in a diddy league!

I’ve read as well from various different sources that the mhanks have huge cash reserves? I’ve read figures varying from 60 to 80 million quid?

Surely that can’t be the case?

I understand they have raked in fortunes in recent years, Armstrong, VVD fee percentage, Rodgers compensation, Dembele, Tierney.

Looking on Stockopedia they have £42.6m in the bank in 2018. I assume that's before they missed out on the CL last year.

Remember these results are for the season before last and that their wage costs for 2018/19 were meant to be much higher.

Also worth pointing out that Lawwell is on £22k per week.
He is worth it for them, has the authorities and media dancing to their tune and they benefit massively

I don't particularly care about the PLC's financial position though when their team is getting progressively worse with each passing transfer window whilst we get stronger.
Eh that won't happen the scum didn't receive all the transfer fee upfront and is based on appearances and other clauses and he is out until October as it stands now. He will also be found out pretty quick that he isn't up to the standard.
The dembele transfer was also between player and the club part of the deal to take the player to the club

That’s irrelevant mate.

They won the leagues no matter what way you look at it

Look at all the top leagues. Most winners have millions more on wages than probably 90% of the rest
Not just one club.
They have made sure they have had a free run with zero competition.
In the words of Harry Redknapp "it was farcical"

A team with a wage bill of 59 million a year in a league where a team make about 3.5 million a year in prize money is asking for bother.

Celtic can spraff on all they like but they are a team who literally geared themselves on the idea they would be playing CL - they altered their stadium to account for such magical nights.

Them not being in the CL lessens the value and platform for their players who they pay excessive wages to..

Ha fucken ha - shower of cunts.

And you know who knows how big an issue this can become..... not making Europe.....

Us.

Good post on Kerrydale Meltdown:

"Celtic's summer strategy for one position: release a left-back, sell a left-back, buy a left-back who isn't a left-back, play key midfielder at left-back, lose £30m."

They will dissolve into a puddle of tears when we win 55.
qePqvaJ.gif

I could really get used to this. After years of cringe and humiliation on our side, we’re now the strong team, excellent coaching staff and full of optimism (albeit a tricky on going merch situation - not the end of the world though).

They are well and truly entering the banter years. TLB losing the dressing room, runaway wages and lost revenue and no sign of improvement. Lovely stuff.

Tend to agree, as it stands their financial advantage is not helping them.

Eh that won't happen the scum didn't receive all the transfer fee upfront and is based on appearances and other clauses and he is out until October as it stands now. He will also be found out pretty quick that he isn't up to the standard.
The dembele transfer was also between player and the club part of the deal to take the player to the club

Ok

Tend to agree, as it stands their financial advantage is not helping them.

They're not in any financial trouble at all currently as they're selling assets to offset any lost CL revenue. It's obviously not a sustainable model though if they don't bring in good players that they can sell on again for big fees. I'd expect them to really trim down their costs in the coming seasons.

If we were somehow to win the league and get into the CL it would totally transform our club financially. We would have no debt whatsoever and millions and millions in the bank.

The fact that transfer fees are paid in installments are exactly why Celtic need such a big cash reserve. The Tierney money is split £10m this year, £10m next year and £5m the year after that, according to The Athletic.

So they need cash to cover the shortfall that not making the CL incurs. It's why they keep a big cash reserve.

All the while, they're downsizing.

Not so sure. Think we were around 40% they didn’t turn over £100m plus or did they?

40%? Its nearer to double that! Ours was 74% as of Nov 18 which is not sustainable in the long run but if we don’t qualify for EL group stages that 74% will likely be 80%+.

They had 36.6m sitting in the bank at the end of Dec 2018 need too see how ours and there book compare the year end June 30th 2019 it's important that we make the group's this year the cup finals and hopefully win the league and maybe sell a high value asset at end of season if all that happens we could very well be in a much stronger position than them

They're not in any financial trouble at all currently as they're selling assets to offset any lost CL revenue. It's obviously not a sustainable model though if they don't bring in good players that they can sell on again for big fees. I'd expect them to really trim down their costs in the coming seasons.

If we were somehow to win the league and get into the CL it would totally transform our club financially. We would have no debt whatsoever and millions and millions in the bank.
DB, if we were to win the league I would love to play the same teams that they have had to play to get to the group stage. I would be extremely confident of beating anyone of them.

Interesting to note from the their 2018 accounts, Lawwells salary of £1.15m was topped up with £1.4m through a bonus plan for UCL qualification...glad last night hit him personally....he was due to pick up this pot in Dec 18 for a cool £2.3m.

Usually when he falls short of targets the committee that decide these things vote him a higher than earned bonus.

No, I don’t, I was deliberately exaggerating, replying to a poster saying a “chunk” would’ve came off their wage bill.
I’d read when Rogers was still there that he was on £2m a season.
Dembele, I’d say, £3m would still be exaggeration.

Rumour is Celtic offered Dembele £1.5m signing on fee, £30k pw and 25% of future transfer fee. So if the quoted £30m transfer fee from Lyon is correct Celtic still made a profit of around £10m on the deal.

I think you can put the transfer fee straight into the accounts even though it may be paid in instalments.

I don't
I think you can put the transfer fee straight into the accounts even though it may be paid in instalments.
Imagine that may not be true but I dunno, Michael ball was never played again due to an appearance clause that would have triggered another payment to Everton. Can't see how you can have a payment in your accounts that might never happen.

I don't

Imagine that may not be true but I dunno, Michael ball was never played again due to an appearance clause that would have triggered another payment to Everton. Can't see how you can have a payment in your accounts that might never happen.

Installments of the main fee are different to ad ons

This graph is very interesting. Look at 2015-16. Their wage bill as a percentage of their revenue is enormous. They also make a loss.

When Rodgers came in, the wages went up by 50%!

This is interesting.

I'm assuming we will be closer to the £50m mark in our 18/19 accounts, due to Europa revenue. Maybe not quite due to merchandise issues etc.

Is it therefore fair to say that in a non-Champions League season, £50m is about average turnover for Rangers and Celtic?

If so, then Celtics wages are a massive issue for them. They won't make £25m from player sales every season. Only solution is significant downsizing.

Back