Wales two away games and they are surely through!

We have two recent Champions League winners in Robertson and Gilmour, four other EPL starters in McTominay, Tierney, Armstrong, Adams. Throw in the most exciting SPL prospect in years in Patterson and we have the backbone of a competitive side. The biggest difference for me is tactics, ambition, organisation and attacking intent.

I don't know where Welsh coaches do their training, but I doubt they have the equivalent of the Largs mafia

Wales approach the game allowing for their better players to play their own game and hurt teams.

If we had Bale we would be playing him left wingback or up top on his own with nobody near him.

Progress for guys like Carver is the Viz going digital.

Our whole approach gives our players nothing to fight for or believe in. We don't set up with any belief or guts.

Be the exact same on Friday.

I know they have a couple of excellent players, big lad up front is handful too lets them fire in crosses or play back to front, i dont think the Welsh squad is much better than ours but id suggest they are better prepared and didnt take the field with the fear.

Its not all steve clarkes fault theres something wrong with our football attitude even fans are completely fascinated by foreign leagues and how much the opposition players are worth or might be worth in future. Hawd on hes played in Germany man. Before the game Lambo was on bbc saying we must do everything to avoid defeat, dont lose dont lose, manager obviously felt the same.... well if you think that way about a home game v sides like czechs you dont deserve to be there.

Theres loads of teams in this tourney we should be able to compete with the standard isnt that great, we have fecked it up already by shitting ourselves the best option now would be to show some balls and go for it against England. The first goal could completely change things in the group i cant us playing that way though as now we are even more worried about a heavy defeat and complete humilation. I think Clarke would accept a braveheart 1-0 defeat right now.

I don't think it is.
Tierney and Robertson are both players starring for top sides. Our centre backs are as good as the ones Wales are able to call on.
We have midfield players playing for teams equal to or if not better than the Welsh.
Outside of Bale and Ramsay Wales have a mixture of journeymen possible not equal to the quality of journeymen that the Scots can call on.
Recently we also have players like Gilmour and Patterson breaking through, albeit they haven't been included.

As for it being a ridiculous question, why should it be?
Ffsake their goalkeeper hasn't even had a fckn start in the league this season!!!

Admittedly I had to google that as I have never heard of him before. :D
Bale and Ramsey are forward playing game changers, tierney and Robertson aren’t unfortunately. Bale was a world record signing and Ramsey’s on £450k per week at Juve. There is a big difference between their elite players and ours.

I’ll give you the keeper :)

They are not set up in a manner that is just to go out and 'not lose'.

They also have Bale who performs to a world class level for them. Scotland haven't come close to producing a player of that talent for about 40 years
But but but we have Forrest, McGregor, Christie, Hendry, Griffiths and all the other celtc players. they are world class and will be sold for billions!

(Or 1.5m eventually)

Bale, Ramsay, Giggs better than anything we've had in the final third for a long long time. The best attacking mid or striker for Scotland in the last 20 years is small pickings. It doesn't say a lot for our system we mainly produce centre backs or defensive mids.

Select their best players, play to their strengths, positive mentality and not afraid to play young players. Complete opposite of Scotland

Bale, Ramsay, Giggs better than anything we've had in the final third for a long long time. The best attacking mid or striker for Scotland in the last 20 years is small pickings. It doesn't say a lot for our system we mainly produce centre backs or defensive mids.

James McFadden and Kenny Miller will be the best 2 attacking players Scotland have had over the last 20 years. I think that says a lot about the type of players we produce.
Anytime we hear about the next star coming through, normally they are defenders or central midfielders, there must be a reason why we rarely produce international class attacking players in Scotland.

They're a better side, no doubt about it.

Bale and Ramsey are two players above anything we have in midfield.

Have they better resources, most of their players go through the English system, so this accounts for some of it.

Scotland have been failing to produce real top drawer internationals for more than a decade.
We do have top players , its just that we've got a Kilmarnock manager coaching them.

Football is more popular than rugby in Wales.

The comedian Elis James made a documentary about the subject: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07djzyv

It’s not even close.

There are far, far more football clubs, registered players and supporters of football. The stats are an eye-opener but the media narrative gives rise to a completely different perception.

Thing is, they use the Six Nations as a yardstick. Most people in Wales love a weekend on the lash and it’s the perfect excuse. We’re a patriotic nation who love getting smashed. Win win lol.

As a former treasurer of a WRU club, I can guarantee that 95% of the people watching the Six Nations (and even those that actually attend due to corporates etc.) have little or no interest in rugby.

And another thing, ask any rugby player - amateur or professional, who they support. They’ll invariably name a football club.

Bale and Ramsey are forward playing game changers, tierney and Robertson aren’t unfortunately. Bale was a world record signing and Ramsey’s on £450k per week at Juve. There is a big difference between their elite players and ours.

I’ll give you the keeper :)
I still don't think that two top players at the important end of the field necessarily makes a convincing argument.
Ramsay's wages don't make him a better player than he is, and although he is very good he isn't that much better than McGinn,
I personally don't think Scotland are particularly good, but I actually think Clarke is underachieving and I think he has performed poorly since he took the job and that he has made a group of players worse than they really are.

I have always believed that the job should have been given to Souness.

Wales where very good today.I wish we could have played that great tbh,instead we are stuck with Clarke and his negative tactics and stupid loyalty to shite players.

C'mon. McGinn isn't in the same universe as Ramsay.
Not on the same level, but I have never thought that Ramsay was an elite player, just one who can play at a top-level.
That isn't a criticism of the lad, but just an opinion.

Wales have the fastest climb up the FIFA rankings in history, from 111 to 8th in 4 years. It's their golden generation really, let's see where they are when Bale and Ramsey retire- my guess is they will sink like a stone.

I still don't think that two top players at the important end of the field necessarily makes a convincing argument.
Ramsay's wages don't make him a better player than he is, and although he is very good he isn't that much better than McGinn,
I personally don't think Scotland are particularly good, but I actually think Clarke is underachieving and I think he has performed poorly since he took the job and that he has made a group of players worse than they really are.

I have always believed that the job should have been given to Souness.

I’d be amazed if Souness wants the job tbh

Scotland really is in the dark ages compared to the other British nations.
Everything from the SFA to football journalism to Hampden being the shittest stadium.
It all needs ripped up and fresh modern ideas brought in.
A decade of The Filth getting their feet under the door followed by another decade of them running things has totally fcked the game in Scotland.
All of this of course was allowed because first of all, they captured the press and media.
As a community they are fckwits.

Scotland really is in the dark ages compared to the other British nations.
Everything from the SFA to football journalism to Hampden being the shittest stadium.
It all needs ripped up and fresh modern ideas brought in.
Hampden looks bloody awful now, it should be ripped up and re-built, either at the same location, or elsewhere, grass roots fitba, f.uck me, where do you start with that.

Perhaps we need a new think tank, they were worth the $$$.

We do have top players , its just that we've got a Kilmarnock manager coaching them.
I agree regarding Clarke, but we really don't have any in the category of the two I mentioned.

That said, I think a top class coach could get more out of what we do have.

Robertson is a terrific left back , McTominay does a sterling job for Man utd but hasn't really produced in a blue shirt, you then start to struggle a bit, McGinn possibly.

There are no game changers in our squad.

Truth is, we have not been at the races as a football nation for over 20 years.

That's criminal.

A decade of The Filth getting their feet under the door followed by another decade of them running things has totally fcked the game in Scotland.
All of this of course was allowed because first of all, they captured the press and media.
As a community they are fckwits.
Agreed, it was a power grab designed to have them winning for ever more with no intention of progressing our game.
They don't want healthy competition, they want an absolute shoe in every season.
To hell with the rest of Scottish football. Poison every well they drink at.

Scotland one game at home and they are probably out!
Do Wales really have more resources at their disposal than Scotland?
They have two players with guile who are not afraid to miss chances as they know that they will manufacture more, their heads don’t go down but most importantly they all look as though they’re enjoying themselves

Agreed, it was a power grab designed to have them winning for ever more with no intention of progressing our game.
They don't want healthy competition, they want an absolute shoe in every season.
To hell with the rest of Scottish football. Poison every well they drink at.
It's poured petrol on the flames of our international woes, no argument there.

It’s institutionalized too. SFA have done SFA to try and improve the game, despite reports such as the McLeish one they spent a fortune on laying down in simple terms where improvements could go. There’s zero grass roots structure.

Suggestions from other coaches with lots of experience, receive nothing other than a xenophobic response. Who do they think they are, coming here and telling them what to do?

It really shames us as a nation. We have qualified 10 times for WC & Euros and not once made it past the group stages Wales have only qualified twice & both times have progressed as have the rest of the home nations. And depressing the current dinosaur of a manager is lauded up here by the mhedia.

It’s institutionalized too. SFA have done SFA to try and improve the game, despite reports such as the McLeish one they spent a fortune on laying down in simple terms where improvements could go. There’s zero grass roots structure.

Suggestions from other coaches with lots of experience, receive nothing other than a xenophobic response. Who do they think they are, coming here and telling them what to do?

I’ve literally just realised the SFA (Scottish Football Association) equals SFA (Sweet %^*& All) haha

Wales have shown us right up. Obviously bale and Ramsay are better than anything we have but apart from that I would say we have a comfortably stronger squad. The difference is their management realise it’s now or never basically in these games and have treated their first 2 both like cup finals, our manager shat the bed and played his mates who are bottom spfl/ top championship level.

Bale and Ramsey are the kind of players who might be having a bad game by misplacing loads of passes and taking heavy touches, but you know that at any minute they are capable of suddenly conjuring up some world class football out of nowhere to rescue their team.

We don't really have any attacking players with the kind of class they have. Gilmour might have the potential to be such a player, but he is still young and inexperienced, he only played 696 minutes of football this season. He has a Champions League winners medal but he only played 95 minutes in the competition, Mendy played 1080 minutes.

For a very small country, they produce a fair amount of class players, world class in many cases.
Scotland, well not even worth talking about.
Wales is a smaller country than Scotland with an inferior domestic league. Football isn't even their most popular sport.

So if they can do it, why can't Scotland?

It baffles me.

The rot set in with scotland long before we were demoted.

Walter smith mentioned that andy Roxburgh told him before the world cup in 98, we were running out of players.

We used to have not just a fine 11, we had a strong squad of players. I dont even know who a lot of the players in the squad are now. The squad is bang average and only made this through the back door.

Then theres the excuses. Done up like a kipper by an average side in one of 2 home games in a major tournament which will never happen again. Yet, we were unlucky, on the right track. Absolute garbage.

It will take a hell of a lot more than young paterson and gilmour to take this mob forward. Wales had 2 games in Baku,one more or less a home game for turkey, yet have 4 points. I can say this with full confidence, scotland would have lost both games, even Mancini couldnt make a team out of them. The fact O'Donnell even gets near the squad tells you how bad it is.

Scotland one game at home and they are probably out!
Do Wales really have more resources at their disposal than Scotland?
No they just play their strongest 11 all the time , no time for sentiment at big international tournaments,

Bale was world class at his peak but is no longer at that level. Still a very good player but not elite anymore. He couldn't nail down a start for a bang average Spurs last season.

Ramsey? Very good player but not elite either. Barely kicked a ball for Juve.

Just more excuses being made for Scotland continuing to under achieve.

Yes, easily, we had Souness and Dalg

Yes of course I can, we had Souness and Dalglish and a host of other players all who were picking up medals at the top of the European game.
Scotland have never come close to matching what the other home nations have achieved in tournaments such as the Euros/World cup even when we had players with the quality of Souness/Dalglish/Hanson/Archie Gemmill/ Davie Cooper/ Law/ Strachan/McCoist/Jim Baxter/ Jimmy Johnstone etc

Wales, Northern Ireland and even the Micks from the south have progressed much further in these tournaments than Scotland

The record is pitiful

Player wise I don't think they are at all. Management and mentality at the moment yes.
The fact that Scotland couldn't beat Israel in four attempts dismisses this constant narrative that our players are up to it. Our results for years suggest the media have talked them up for far too long. I agree though our management is not helping but formations aside, I didn't think we would get a win pre tournament and I see nothing to change that.

Just watching the highlights and they are far more passionate than us. Helps that they have a world class player up top. I’m hoping that Gilmour will give us that in the years to come.

Back