Walker and McLean

tazzabear

Looking like we don’t really need these two now but, a few points here before we jump in and agree.
We need Dorrans to be the player we expect him to be.
Rossiter may never be free of injury.
McCrorie may still be seen as a centre back first and foremost.
Goss is not our player, long term.
So, removing these four from the options, would they improve what we would then have?
One of my main reasons for asking is that it was put to me that these two going elsewhere might be a Richard Gough scenario wher we got our man quickly after he left the Scottish club.
A long shot, I know.

McLean isnt any better than Halliday or Holt who will be fringe players when everyone is fit.

I think we need to show Jason Holt more respect. Just because he is a relic of the ultimately failed Warburton era doesn't make him a bad footballer. Right now he is more than worthy of a jersey and I bet a lot of opposition players will look forward to playing him least of any of our starting eleven.

The guy has a terrific engine, gets stuck in and does all the neat and tidy stuff well.

I think we need to show Jason Holt more respect. Just because he is a relic of the ultimately failed Warburton era doesn't make him a bad footballer. Right now he is more than worthy of a jersey and I bet a lot of opposition players will look forward to playing him least of any of our starting eleven.

The guy has a terrific engine, gets stuck in and does all the neat and tidy stuff well.
Where did I disrespect him or say he was a bad footballer?

The truth is though he has came back into the team because of the injuries suffered to Dorrans and Jack. Up until the Kilmarnock game at Ibrox, Dorrans and Jack were our midfield two.

McLean isnt any better than Halliday or Holt who will be fringe players when everyone is fit.

Holt is becoming a very important part of the team. Halliday I can’t agree with. He was rightly moved on in the summer and is only back as cover, due to the injuries we’ve picked up.

Must admit, I wanted McLean in. A lot of people completely wrote off Ryan Jack with comments similar to yours and he has done well. I actually thought he was the only Sheep player that could hold his head up last night.

That being said, I’m not devastated to miss out on him. He would have been improving our squad, and I’m delighted with the business we have done. KM, for his part, is a well known Bear and had just secured an enormous contract with Norwich. Good luck to him (once he leaves those bastards that is)

Clubs didn’t want to be reasonable with fees

So we’ll never know if they could have stepped up or kicked on
Shame for Maclean as he is a bear

Based on his recent performances I'd take Holt over the 2 of them. He's shown a lot of drive and desire to be in that team. I've never seen much of a talent in Mclean when I've seen him play and I'm delighted we never went for him.

Both players were free to sign pre contracts for us,theres %^*& all there clubs could have done. Either we didnt want them or they didnt want to come,there is no Gough scenario here.

I'd have liked Walker in the summer,but since then his form plummeted.I'm glad we didn't pay a fee for him,I think I thought he was better than he actually was.
McLean is decent,and on a bosman would have been a good addition to the squad.But again,worth a fee even IF Dolly would have dealt with us?(they wouldn't btw).

I am very much against other Scottish clubs holding us to ransom,and I'm glad those in charge at the club seem to agree.

Clubs didn’t want to be reasonable with fees

So we’ll never know if they could have stepped up or kicked on
Shame for Maclean as he is a bear
McLean would have cost nothing in 5 months so fees have nothing to do with his situation.

If Rangers wanted McLean we could have got him.

Where did I disrespect him or say he was a bad footballer?

The truth is though he has came back into the team because of the injuries suffered to Dorrans and Jack. Up until the Kilmarnock game at Ibrox, Dorrans and Jack were our midfield two.

I didn't say you disrespected him. I quoted your post as it triggered mine but was making a more general point.

Yes, he only got back in due to injuries but you could say the same about McRorie getting his chance.

He has grabbed it with both hands and shouldnt be deemed a fringe player as soon as everyone is fit again. I'd say his performances have been as influential as Dorrans was before he was assaulted (a bit of give or take either way required).

I didn't say you disrespected him. I quoted your post as it triggered mine but was making a more general point.

Yes, he only got back in due to injuries but you could say the same about McRorie getting his chance.

He has grabbed it with both hands and shouldnt be deemed a fringe player as soon as everyone is fit again. I'd say his performances have been as influential as Dorrans was before he was assaulted (a bit of give or take either way required).
Holt has been better than Dorrans who has been a bit disappointing after the hype before his signing.

Dorrans on his day is a better footballer than Holt though. Probably different styles of midfielders as well though I suppose.

The best thing about this thread though is it emphasises the healthy competition there is for jerseys now.

I thought McLean played well last night and think he would've been a good addition to the team. I also liked Walker as well but i think bringing Docherty and Murphy in makes up for not getting either of those two.
Have to agree on Holt as well, playing very well for us and i thought making him Captain was an excellent gesture. Always liked him although last season he was getting bullied as were most of the midfield.
We are moving in the right direction. I'd love to see Cummings and Morelos form a partnership but i fear they won't play together much, unfortunately.

McLean would have cost nothing in 5 months so fees have nothing to do with his situation.

I was meaning in the summer ,we were heavy linked with both
But parent clubs were asking far too much money
As they were at the ends of there contracts

Murphy is a better player than Jamie Walker.

Greg Docherty long term is a better signing than Kenny McLean.

Our next few signings are hopefully of an even better calibre.

I thought McLean played well last night and think he would've been a good addition to the team. I also liked Walker as well but i think bringing Docherty and Murphy in makes up for not getting either of those two.
Have to agree on Holt as well, playing very well for us and i thought making him Captain was an excellent gesture. Always liked him although last season he was getting bullied as were most of the midfield.
We are moving in the right direction. I'd love to see Cummings and Morelos form a partnership but i fear they won't play together much, unfortunately.

Cummings will need to be patient mate.

The formation we played last night was very successful and Morelos is on a different level to Cummings as a lone striker due to his strength and ability to play others in.

I can see Cummings competing with Windass for his position.
Josh is in possession of the jersey at the moment though and will take some shifting.

All good, healthy competition.

I thought McLean looked really good last night. A shame we didnt get him. Only one of their players to look dangerous against us

He looks a decent player, but the only way we will be able to get these kind of players is by doing similar as Jack, taking the risk and waiting till their contract runs out and signing them then.

Hearts knocked back 600k or so from us for Walker to sell him for half that, McLean goes for 250k to Norwich, there's not a hope in hell they'd have accepted 250k from us for him.

I would agree with that we have enough depth in that area of the park we now need maybe 3 real quality players guys who are first name on the team sheet in the summer. If it's squad players your after a good right back to cover for tav if injured or suspended would be my main priority.

Holt has been better than Dorrans who has been a bit disappointing after the hype before his signing.

Dorrans on his day is a better footballer than Holt though. Probably different styles of midfielders as well though I suppose.

The best thing about this thread though is it emphasises the healthy competition there is for jerseys now.

I'd agree with your point ability wise with Dorrans and Holt but what I'd add to that is that some of our poorest performances of the season were with Jack and Dorrans as the 2 in the middle possibly because neither of them possess some of the attributes Holt has.

For once it's a great headache for us to have when everyone is fit

Says a lot for holt that every manager who has come in had probably seen him as squad filler and yet time and time again he forces his way into the X1 and becomes a regular starter

Back