Walter Martinez Hondurian International dies age 37

ItsInTheNet

HONDURAS international Walter Martinez has tragically died at the age of 37 - just nine years after playing in the World Cup.Midfielder Martinez, who had also starred for American side San Jose Earthquakes, is believed to have died from a heart attack following a night out with a mate.

The Honduran FA confirmed his passing in a tweet which read: "With sadness that overwhelms the family ofHonduran football, we regret the death of Walter Julian Martinez.​

"Solidarity and a balm of divine peace for your family and friends. RIP."

Martinez, who helped get Honduras to the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa for just the second time, last played for El Salvador side FAS.

He scored six goals in 20 appearances before retiring in 2015.

Martinez, who was born in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, was said to have joined Chinese Super League side Beijing Gouan last year but did not appear to make any appearances for them.

Heartbroken fans laid flowers and shirts in honour of him in front of the club's stadium after learning of his death.

Martinez is said to have suffered the heart attack while at the apartment of friend and fellow footballer Jose Chepo Fernandez in New York.

'I TRIED TO REVIVE HIM BUT COULDN'T'
Fernandez told a Honduran newspaper that the pair had gone out to the El Copaneco club in the Bronx area of the city where they allegedly partied until dawn.

He said they both went back to his house and he discovered Martinez on the floor of his bedroom a few hours later.

Fernandez said: "I was inside my room and when I left I found him on the floor. I tried to revive him but I couldn't.

"Immediately I called the ambulance and minutes later they were there but nothing could be done."

Nicknamed Pery, Martinez, who had gone to the US to start a new life with his family, scored 12 goals in 49 appearances for his country.

His career took in nine different clubs and included three spells with Beijing Guoan, where he played for a total of three years.

He started his journey in 2001 at Honduran side Victoria and then starred for Marathon and Vida before moving to China.

Martinez also featured for Spanish club Alaves and San Jose - the US side for which Brazilian icon Pele famously played.
Devastated fans paid tribute to Martinez online.

One said: "Sad day for football, thoughts and prayers with the family of Walter Martinez."

Another wrote: "One of the greatest players that Honduras has ever had. RIP Walter Martinez."

This sounds really tragic and I wonder what the cause was? I hate to speculate but the Fentanyl crisis in the US is killing 30,000 Americans a year and I'd hate for it to be related to that. ( I realise I am speculating here but am sure it won't be that).

This sounds really tragic and I wonder what the cause was? I hate to speculate but the Fentanyl crisis in the US is killing 30,000 Americans a year and I'd hate for it to be related to that. ( I realise I am speculating here but am sure it won't be that).

Sounds more likely to be a heart attack from taking gear on a night out. Pure speculation really.

Sounds more likely to be a heart attack from taking gear on a night out. Pure speculation really.
That's what I thought reading it but I'm probably primed by the movies to think every South/Central American is hoovering the chico. I do know that cheap fentanyl is being used to cut a lot of stuff over there and they are dropping like flies. It's in the fake vallies that are killing a lot in the UK, too.

That's what I thought reading it but I'm probably primed by the movies to think every South/Central American is hoovering the chico. I do know that cheap fentanyl is being used to cut a lot of stuff over there and they are dropping like flies. It's in the fake vallies that are killing a lot in the UK, too.

You're probably not wrong, I'd assume when people die from taking gear or even things like ecstasy it's the junk its been cut with that is the killer more often than not as opposed to the actual narcotics themselves.

You're probably not wrong, I'd assume when people die from taking gear or even things like ecstasy it's the junk its been cut with that is the killer more often than not as opposed to the actual narcotics themselves.

Mates brother died recently and was mixing drugs and copper basically told him this it’s the fake shit that’s in the pills and what the gear is being cut with that is killing people, the amount of people that nearly die and still go back on it is mental as well he said it’s literally out of control in Scotland.

The drug problem in Scotland is bad but your hear of more and more people dropping these days.

PS sorry for derailing the thread.

Wasn't Peralta murdered?
Just seems bizarre a professional athlete in the US can pass away just like that but when you remember the ex Arsenal boy who was as fit as a butchers dog! collapsing and 'dying' on the pitch with Bolton I wonder if we actually have defibrillators in all our stadiums?
I know Australia is shit hot with this, they are in almost every public place

Mates brother died recently and was mixing drugs and copper basically told him this it’s the fake shit that’s in the pills and what the gear is being cut with that is killing people, the amount of people that nearly die and still go back on it is mental as well he said it’s literally out of control in Scotland.

The drug problem in Scotland is bad but your hear of more and more people dropping these days.

Deserves a thread of its own, sorry for your mates loss. It opens the debate on legalising drugs, take the money directly from the scum dealers into the Government kitty but what do they then turn to for money...our government cannot even handle their devolved powers at present without giving them more powers to make Scottish living better

Sorry to hear that, man, and I hope your mate is holding up ok. The issue is much bigger than we know and swept under carpet as drug users are presented as being different from the general populace ( as opposed to a notable percentage of it, especially when pharma-addiction is taken into account)

Yes, more people off their tits is what's required.

Drugs being notoriously hard to source in Glasgow? I'm not in favour of selling smack in Aldi but if addicts are dying in large numbers due to dangerous compounds being added to street drugs then your options are to accept that or try and regulate it.

* I probably don't need to point this out but I'm not a drug addict, but I worked in a bookies for over a decade and I've seen the damage they do (as many of us have).

Deserves a thread of its own, sorry for your mates loss. It opens the debate on legalising drugs, take the money directly from the scum dealers into the Government kitty but what do they then turn to for money...our government cannot even handle their devolved powers at present without giving them more powers to make Scottish living better
They take money for alcohol which is as much a destructive poison as anything else when it is abused. (See also gambling, smoking, etc.)

Or stop taking the shit. Last time I looked it was illegal - not that plod give a rat's arse about that. No revenue in that.

Junkies are selfish wankers. Not only does it %^*& them up, but also everyone around them - i.e. their families. I have ZERO sympathy for junkies.
I have some...not much but some since my eyes were opened on addiction. I literally thought you take heroin and that's it you're hooked! It sounds insane but there was an initial study on mice who had been given smack in their cage thru the water bottle, the cage was basic but well fed and could get a sip of smack! They were introduced to a village, with nice house, friends, bit of fanny social environment...when presented with the smack and the water they always went for water! Think I've got that right anyway.
Sometimes there is no excuse and no sympathy but the debate is can you give smack heads a chance

They take money for alcohol which is as much a destructive poison as anything else when it is abused. (See also gambling, smoking, etc.)
Oz is mental, touch screen bookie terminals in pubs to put a line on! Insane, slot arcades joined to almost every pub. In the UK it's the incessant adverts but when you look at the Snooker ban on Smoking adverts But doubt the smoking numbers actually decreased...it seems to be the normality of it, the bookie shops are wide open it's almost inviting to go in for a coffee

I have some...not much but some since my eyes were opened on addiction. I literally thought you take heroin and that's it you're hooked! It sounds insane but there was an initial study on mice who had been given smack in their cage thru the water bottle, the cage was basic but well fed and could get a sip of smack! They were introduced to a village, with nice house, friends, bit of fanny social environment...when presented with the smack and the water they always went for water! Think I've got that right anyway.
Sometimes there is no excuse and no sympathy but the debate is can you give smack heads a chance
Cool story, bro :D
Sorry Arkanoid, i have no sympathy whatsoever. I'll reserve my sympathy for those family members around them.

Stuff is an absolute curse, Tom Petty, Prince are 2 high profile victims. Uber-smack. Tragic!

Junkies are selfish wankers. Not only does it %^*& them up, but also everyone around them - i.e. their families. I have ZERO sympathy for junkies.
Well, tbh I used to think the same. Some folk have a fucked up life from day one. Nae da and half a maw, poverty, genetic damage through no fault of their own caused by alcohol and drugs. Children's brains are actually physically damaged when they have not been nurtured /loved. I find it hard to balance it out.

It's mental. Imagine a street dealer messing about with this stuff.

'On the left is a lethal dose of heroin, equivalent to about 30 milligrams; on the right is a 3-milligram dose of fentanyl, enough to kill an average-sized adult male'.
I was lucky to have decent parents and surroundings. Many are not so fortunate. The long haul ain't for them.

It's not the cutting agent that's the killer. Its the *amount* of cutting agent. Normally street drugs are about 5% pure. When a user then gets a 20% pure batch they overdose as the amount they inject/ingest is the same, but there's 4x as much drug in there. Or there's fentanyl, and folk take it unknowingly.

Well, tbh I used to think the same. Some folk have a fucked up life from day one. Nae da and half a maw, poverty, genetic damage through no fault of their own caused by alcohol and drugs. Children's brains are actually physically damaged when they have not been nurtured /loved. I find it hard to balance it out.
And this is why I say that the real victims are the those around them - e.g. the kids. They grow up believing that what is around them is normal.

It's mental. Imagine a street dealer messing about with this stuff.

'On the left is a lethal dose of heroin, equivalent to about 30 milligrams; on the right is a 3-milligram dose of fentanyl, enough to kill an average-sized adult male'.

That’s terrifying, knowing the amount of people who like a line or so on a long day or night out..

This is the stuff that’s supposedly in coke as well as the street valium.

How the f*ck can it be in both uppers’ and downers’ I don’t know but it’s what I’ve heard.

What's the problem with people being high? It's not like society doesn't already have that issue with legally available drugs?

It's the criminality that's forced by dealers that's the issue. Train your hate on them as they cause the vast majority of the issues.

A good well made Pill is safer than the bevvy imho, bad E is made from PMA as opposed to MDMA. As a father of Teenagers I would much rather we decriminalised use of the gear and provided free testing kits for kids....that came with educational information leaflets.

What I do know is that what we do now, doesn’t work.....that has been proven beyond doubt!

RIP Walter

A good well made Pill is safer than the bevvy imho, bad E is made from PMA as opposed to MDMA. As a father of Teenagers I would much rather we decriminalised use of the gear and provided free testing kits for kids....that came with educational information leaflets.

What I do know is that what we do now, doesn’t work.....that has been proven beyond doubt!

RIP Walter
I agree that our drug policy ain't fit for purpose. Is any fit for purpose? No good came out of drugs, be they legal or not. The human condition is largely that taking mind altering substance is the norm.

I agree that our drug policy ain't fit for purpose. Is any fit for purpose? No good came out of drugs, be they legal or not. The human condition is largely that taking mind altering substance is the norm.
No sure I’d say no good came from drugs, some drugs add value to life length and life quality....drugs are effectively materials/chemicals that have certain effect on cells within the human body.....alcohol is a drug....food is also....society labels these things based on their so called norms.....hence why certain legal highs were legal despite being of more danger than some class As.....it was just that the societal norms hadn’t yet classified them as drugs!

That’s true for many kids, but not all turn to heroin.

No sure I’d say no good came from drugs, some drugs add value to life length and life quality....drugs are effectively materials/chemicals that have certain effect on cells within the human body.....alcohol is a drug....food is also....society labels these things based on their so called norms.....hence why certain legal highs were legal despite being of more danger than some class As.....it was just that the societal norms hadn’t yet classified them as drugs!
I was addressing drugs taken recreationally. Alcohol being at the forefront. How many lives have been ruined, careers wrecked? I have done stupid things under the influence as most of us have.

Back