Walter Smith has passed away

Heartbroken to hear of Walter's passing condolences to his family and friends.
Thank you Walter for everthing you done for our club and the wonderful memories you've left us.

Terrible news.
73 is not old these days and he should have had many years in front of him.
Thanks for the memories, Walter. A true club legend.

From SKY

skysports-walter-smith-rangers_5303590.png

Walter Smith, who managed Scotland, Rangers and Everton, has died at the age of 73.

Smith enjoyed great success with Rangers over two spells, took charge of the Scotland national side and spent four years in the Premier League with Everton.

The Lanark-born defender's playing career saw him play for Dundee United in two spells either side of two seasons at Dumbarton, and it was during his second spell at Tannadice that a pelvic injury meant Smith made his first forays into coaching under Jim McLean.

Smith became coach of the Scotland under-18s in 1978 and the under-21s in 1982. He was also Alex Ferguson's assistant at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico before becoming assistant to Graeme Souness at Rangers later that summer.

skysports-walter-smith-rangers_5303502.jpg

With Souness operating as a player-manager at Ibrox, Smith was the senior coaching presence on the touchline and was given the job on a full-time basis when Souness moved to manage Liverpool in 1991.

Smith continued Rangers' domination at home and in Europe, taking the club to six Scottish top-flight titles and a domestic treble in 1992-93, the season in which the club narrowly missed out on a place in the Champions League final after finishing as runners-up in the group which was won by eventual winners Marseille.

Rangers equalled Celtic's record of nine successive championships in 1996-97 but a poor European start to the following campaign saw Smith confirm he would leave the club at the end of the campaign to join Everton.

skysports-walter-smith-everton_5303503.jpg

His time at Goodison Park, however, was not a success and he was sacked in March 2002 before a brief spell as Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United at the end of the 2003-04 season.

Berti Vogts departure from the Scotland national side paved the way for Smith to become manager in December 2004. Despite overseeing a rise for Scotland of 70 places in the international rankings, they failed to reach the World Cup Finals in 2006 after a home defeat to Belarus.

Smith returned to Rangers for a second spell in January 2007 and was able to replicate the glory of his first spell, leading the club to three more league titles, two Scottish Cups, three Scottish League Cups and a UEFA Cup final, which they lost 2-0 to Zenit Saint Petersburg.

Nothing more can be said than others have said before.

Feels like part of the club has gone today, even part of who we all are Rangers supporters. Hard hard one to take.

For those of us who grew up during his first stint he was Rangers.

Synonymous with all we love about the club.

Thanks for the memories

Absolutely gutted. Gave me so many great memories over the years and the best rangers manager in my lifetime. RIP Walter :(

Absolutely awful news. Growing up in the 90's Walter optimised exactly what a Rangers man should be.

RIP Gaffer.

I’m gutted to hear this. When you think of Rangers Walter Smith is one of those names you associate with the high standards set at the club. A terrible terrible day for Walters family friends and the club as well.As a supporter I am truly gutted he was THE Rangers manager as far as I’m concerned.He never let us down and he was such a strong character who always he led from the front.So sad to hear.Rest in Peace Walter you will never be forgotten by this Bear.

The class and dignity with which he represented our great institution made you proud to be a Rangers fan.

He was responsible for so many of our greatest moments.

Probably the greatest Ranger of my lifetime.

RIP Sir Walter.

Reactions: d72
Heartbroken.

To an extent most generations have someone they consider to be ‘Mr Rangers’, and for me he was, and always will be, it.

Represented everything good about our club, and I for one always felt more comfortable when he was around it in some form.

Gave me some of my fondest memories supporting the club. RIP Sir.

Gutted

Thoughts go out to his family at this sad time.

Words can't describe what Walter meant to us all and a huge part he played in our lives giving us so much joy.

Forever a true Rangers great.

Rest in peace Walter

Gutted one of the first times in my life tears are rolling down my face for a non family member. Walter was more than a Manager Walter was Mr Rangers to me and many many others.
Rest in Peace My LEGEND

Struggling to keep the tears from my eyes on a work call. He is a total legend and will live forever

RIP Walter.

I’ll never forget when he took the reins from Souness and there was a lot of scepticism.

He dispelled those doubts very quickly.

Absolutely devastated by this.

The man was the epitome of everything it means to be a Ranger.

RIP Sir Walter.

Iam sitting here stunned at this news.
Walter Smith was a man of the people.
Rip Walter you truly are a Rangers Legend.

Walter Smith has has passed away

This morning, surrounded by his family, Walter slipped from this life to the next.

Our leader, our hero, our friend - has been promoted to Glory.

In a life full of success he brought us tears and laughter but always with old school values.

We thank him for his service.

True club legend, born winner and just a genuinely impressive and decent man. Big loss to the whole Rangers family but thoughts with his nearest and dearest.

RiP gaffer.

Awful news.

One of the most significant figures in our club’s history, a genuine legend.

I’m heartbroken by this.

Walter Smith epitomised Rangers for me.

He was everything and more.

A complete gentleman of whom I had an admiration for that will never be matched.

Someone who was relied upon and looked to for inspiration more than any other.

We will never forget you sir.

Stuck for words. I know he had not been in the best of health recently but it is still devastating news. Rest In Peace Walter.

Back