Walter Smith has passed away

First time I've really been seriously impacted emotionally by the death of someone I don't personally know. I'm absolutely stunned by this.

Obviously, thoughts with his family and friends.

RIP Walter, the modern epitome of a Rangers Legend. I'm so proud you managed and represented my football team and did so in the manner becoming of yourself and the club. Earned completely the sobriquet "Legend".

One of the stands at Ibrox should be renamed

Absolutely gutted at this.

Club legend doesn't even do the man justice. Feels like part of the club has passed with him

RIP

Thoughts are with Walters family.

He is responsible for some of my greatest ever Rangers memories. Sad day for all connected with Rangers.

Terrible news. Probably the greatest figure at Rangers in my lifetime, and probably will be for the rest of my life. RIP

The way we look at the 4Lads and Bill Struth is how our next generation will look up to Walter Smith. He was everything to our club, absolutely everything you aspire to be as a Rangers fan was Walter Smith, everything you want a Rangers man to be was Walter Smith, everything you want a Rangers Manager to be was Walter Smith.
Thoughts with immediate friends and family, such sad news and we are all here for you all.

Sincere condolences to Walter’s family and friends. I never had the honour of being in his company but we all appreciated how he conducted himself in the manner that all Rangers managers should. A true Rangers great and a good Bluenose.

Heartbroken, can’t even think straight.

A fighter and a true Ranger through and through

RIP Sir Walter

An absolute Rangers legend. What service he gave us. So sad hearing that news. RIP Walter Smith and thank you for everything.

News that I don't think any of us thought we would ever hear, Walter seemed invincible. Difficult to find the words. Rest easy, Gaffer, and thank you for everything.

A sad day, brought so many good times and lasting memories to the Rangers. Rest in peace Walter, a true gentleman. Thank you.

We don’t really do statues at Ibrox , we have John Grieg and the memorial plinth, but if ever a figure deserves one in the hearts and minds of the Rangers support it’s Walter.

A proper statue outside the new edminston house or in the grounds of the stadium is the least we can do together. Crowd fund it, whatever is needed , get a proper artist on it. An absolute once in a generation legend , part of all of our lives in many ways.

Heartbroken.

A true Ranger in every sense of the word. Thank you Walter Smith for everything you did for our Club and for the legacy you left us. A day for reflection.

I just said this exact thing. A father figure to so many amongst our support. This is a real sore one

Indeed. Like the father of the modern Rangers, epitomised everything great about this great institution.

Be at peace now Sir Walter.

The words "greatness" and "legend" are so often scattered around like confetti these days but Walter Smith rightly stands amongst the truly exceptional Scottish managers alongside Bill Shankly, Matt Busby, Jock Stein, Alex Ferguson and, of course, two of our our own, Bill Struth and Scot Symon.

Walter never really got the credit he deserved in the Scottish media for his achievements at Rangers, or Scotland for that matter, or even his time managing an Everton team in financial meltdown to something resembling stability.

Yet, unquestionable success in both periods when he managed Rangers [notably his 2nd spell when purse strings were tight] and breathing hope and belief into a Scotland team that was languishing in the low FIFA rankings to one that became feared and respected again, is arguably a much better record than those who are usually named as the best Scottish managers of all time. Perhaps the absence of a European trophy has been, unfairly, allowed to overlook all his other achievements.

A Rangers "great" and a Scotland "great" Walter Smith was, without question, above all a decent human being and family man and we will miss him.

We all knew this sad day would at sometime arrive but, even now, the profound sadness that I and many others will feel this morning is surely equally matched by our thanks and gratitude for all he gave to Rangers and to Scottish football.

Back