Walter Smith has passed away

Absolutely gutted at his passing.

A true Rangers legend who represented our club with the highest decorum and brought us so many highs following our club.

RIP Walter Smith.

Absolutely gutted by this, a true legend and its been a privilege that I've witnessed him being one our greatest managers ever....rest in peace Sir Walter Smith

Feeling a wee bit emotional here. Walter is responsible for so many great Rangers moments, and will live on in all our hearts and memories,

Thanks for the many memories Walter , Glad he got to see us get back on top as he’s not been great for a while

RIP to a true legend

Beyond gutted with this news. A legend who brought me so much more happy memories than I can even think. RIP to a true legend

Such sad news.

A true Ranger who provided me with some wonderful memories.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

RIP to a great Ranger’s hero.

Sad news, condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Walter, thank you for the joy you brought my father, son and I.

Just yesterday I watched the skol cup final from 87, Walter full of passion on the touch line.
Undoubtedly the top Rangers man in my life time, RIP gaffer.

Devastating to hear.

Growing up in the 90s and through 9 in a row, Walter Smith was the epitome of everything great about Rangers Football Club.

Sad, sad day.

“Winning 10 top-flight titles as manager, five Scottish Cups and six League Cups, as well as leading his club to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, he will be remembered by the football community across the world. His spells as Scotland manager as well as managing in the English Premier League underlined his credentials as one of the great modern day football managers.

However, for Rangers supporters, he was much more than just a football manager. Walter was a friend to many, a leader, an ambassador and most of all-a legend.”
In tears reading this

RIP Walter Smith. A true legend of our club. Taken away far too soon. Sympathies to all his family and close friends at this sad time. So glad he got to see 55. Gutted to read this .

Heartbroken to hear this.
I was lucky enough to spend a bit of time with him over a couple of days and he was such a lovely warm and humble man.
Rest in peace Gaffer.

Absolutely heartbreaking news.
My favourite Ranger of all time.

Rest easy and God bless you great man.

You will forever be in all my family's thoughts.
Thank you for your magnificent service to our football club.

Deepest condolences to all his family and close friends.

B-khb00D

Former Rangers, Everton and Scotland manager Walter Smith has died at the age of 73.

Smith achieved legendary status at Ibrox, with 21 trophies in two spells making him the second most successful Rangers boss ever behind Bill Struth.
He won the latter seven titles of Rangers' nine-in-a-row run in the 1990s and returned to Ibrox in 2007.

Between those stints, he had four years at Everton and two with Scotland before being enticed back to the Glasgow club.

His second spell in charge delivered three more titles and a Uefa Cup final appearance, in 2008.

His death comes in the same year Rangers clinched their first top-flight title since Smith's final season in charge in 2011.

'Much more than just a football manager'​

Club chairman Douglas Park commented: "It is almost impossible to encapsulate what Walter meant to every one of us at Rangers.

"He embodied everything that a Ranger should be. His character and leadership was second to none, and will live long in the memory of everyone he worked with during his two terms as first team manager.

"I spoke with Walter as recently as last weekend. Even when he was battling illness, he was still able to provide advice and support. For that, I am personally grateful. I know that he continued also to maintain dialogue with senior members of staff, including our manager, Steven Gerrard.

"Walter will be sorely missed by all of us at Rangers. For Rangers supporters, he was much more than just a football manager. Walter was a friend to many, a leader, an ambassador and most of all-a legend."

Player, assistant, manager & chairman​

As a defender, Smith played more than 200 games for Dundee United, where he began his coaching career under Jim McLean at the age of 29 when a pelvic injury forced him to retire early.

He also turned out for Dumbarton and was assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at the 1986 World Cup, but it was as a manager where Smith made his mark.

After moving from Tannadice to Rangers in 1986 as Graeme Souness' number two, he took sole charge in 1991 and embarked on a near-decade of dominance - including the domestic treble in 1993 - to equal Celtic's record of nine successive titles.

Following the end of his second stint as Rangers manager, Smith had a three-month spell as Ibrox chairman in 2013 but resigned the position after a period of bitter infighting within the boardroom.

_117611928_walter.jpg

Rangers confirmed in March that Smith was recovering in hospital following an operation.

And his passing comes 10 months after Jim McLean, whom he assisted over a long spell at Dundee United, died at 83.

"Walter leaves behind a wife, children and grandchildren, all of whom are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time," added Park.

Rangers asked for the Smith family's privacy to be respected.

Utterly devastating news. The epitome of how a Rangers man should conduct themselves. He is everything at this club from a hero, legend and great. Brought the support so much happiness.

Rest in Peace, Gaffer.

Back