Walter Smith has passed away

That has really knocked the stuffing out me me - absolutely tragic news :(

Some of my happiest memories are going to Rangers games in the 90s and watching his second spell in charge.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Walter.

Thanks for the memories!

Really difficult listening to Super Ally on talksport. Fair play to him for going on air so soon, and putting together some lovely words about a great man.

Absolutely devastated...

My gran and grandad were close to him during his time in my hometown, Dundee. My Grandad was a bricklaying instructor at Dundee Polytechnic where Walter used to teach PE, and then my gran was the chef at Dundee United under McLean around the same time - what stories they used to tell of us of their friend Watty.

Rest Easy Gaffer!

Club crest on Twitter gone black and white.

So many memories he gave us over the years, it’s impossible to put into words the impact he had on the club and our lives.

He was the epitome of integrity, a true Ranger and put in place standards as a manager and leader that make it impossible for any other manger to live up to. I can only say if there were more men like him, the world will be a far better place.

Sir Walter has sadly left us but the memories will never leave us… RIP Gaffer

Absolutely gutted. He’s who I picture when I think of Rangers, if that makes sense. I can’t even understate what he means to the Rangers community and my thoughts are with his family.

Legend doesn’t even begin to cover it. A gentleman, with a stoic attitude and was respected by every single person who worked with him.

Thank you for everything, Sir Walter. 9 in a row, bring the likes of Laudrup and Gazza to Ibrox, dozens of domestic trophies, Manchester just off the top of my head.

The best of the best.

RIP mr smith, thank you for your service to the club. A gentleman and a legend, condolences to friends and family.

Just devastating news. I would have loved to shake his hand and thank him for everything he did for my football club, but I suspect every bear who had the privilege to meet Walter Smith already did.

A true great.

Absolutely gutting news

What a man he was , has given multiple generations of Rangers fans some of their best memories involving our club

Rest easy Sir Walter

I cant stop crying this morning. I’m trying to think of all the good times but this has hit really hard. A hero in the truest sense of the word.

Apart from how Rangers he was and the memories he brought us, it was also how he spoke so much sense and the air of sheer class he carried.

He will be so much missed. I can't really get on with my day, devastated but this horrible news.

Back