Walter Smith has passed away

A true Rangers legend. A man who epitomised what it means to represent Rangers Football Club. R.I.P. Walter Smith and thank you for all of the wonderful memories.

I sadly lost my dad last year to illness and can honestly say this is like losing another father but to my beloved club. Genuinely heartbreaking.

You dont think people like that will ever die, but sadly it comes to us all at some point.

Gutting news. An absolute legend who gave me and many other bears some of the best times of their life. Sleep tight gaffer.

Gave me a very happy childhood growing up winning everything, then when I was old enough to enjoy it he brought us Manchester.

Feels like a loss in the family, he’ll be missed in and around Ibrox by so many people for a number of reasons.

True legend.

RIP to a legend of my club, tears fill my eyes as I write this but I can only say thanks for the memories. I will never forget the great times you gave me at Ibrox, taking us to Manchester, the battle of Britain in 1992, 9 in a row, Gazza, the list is endless.

Thoughts go out to all his family and close friends.

Can’t really find the words at the moment.
Heartbroken.
After he returned & restored us to our rightful position with 3IAR, I’ve always kind of viewed him as the Grandfather of Rangers Football Club.
Perhaps that’s how I’ll remember him…
The Grandfather of Rangers FC.

The greatest respect for Walter. Sincere condolences and thoughts and prayers with the Smith family.

Desperately sad to lose any Bluenose, let alone this legend.

Another sad day in Rangers history.
Rest easy Walter Smith.

Absolutely heartbroken at this sad news.
What a man Walter was.
An outstanding manager and a true Rangers legend.
Sincere thoughts go out to Ethel and all the family.
Now safe in the arms of Jesus.

Walter never played for us but in Rangers history I place him above any of the great players we have ever had.

RIP Gaffer

Absolutely terrible news.
A true Rangers ledgend that I was lucky enough to witness.
Rest in peace Gaffer.

Had to pull over in my lorry when I heard the news, I’m in tears here, absolutely gutted. He was Mr Rangers, RIP Sir Walter

We have lost our leader, our father figure, the greatest man who led us to the greatest of times.

His loss is immeasurable

Our hearts are broken

R.I P Walter

Last edited:
A very sad day for Walter's family, friends, our great club and the Rangers family as a whole. I will never forget the great days that Walter's teams gave us. Thank you Mr Smith. You will not be forgotten.

Not ashamed to say sitting crying at my desk this morning. Walter was Mr Rangers to me. Unfairly I Now compare every manager against him. A lovely man and a true great. RIP Walter x

Grew up with Walter at the helm. 9 in a row, 1 game from a champs league final. Most of all Walter was a gentleman, respected across the football spectrum. Rest easy gaffer.

Back