Walter Smith has passed away

News has hit me more than I thought it would. Devastating.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Ethel, his sons and grandchildren tonight.

Thank you so much sharing your incredible husband, father, grandfather with us all. We’ll be always be grateful for that.

WalterSmith-053e62b6-bd08-4014-b984-19c975fceafb.jpg

I met Walter at his tribute night in Glasgow, my wife had her photo taken with him.
He brought us so much joy and fabulous times as Manager of our great club.
My heart goes out to his family and close friends.
R.I.P Walter Smith.

Genuinely saddened at Walter's passing. He was largely responsible for some of my happiest times watching Rangers. Condolences to his family and friends. You only have to spend a few minutes on twitter to see stuff from players, some who only spent a relatively short time playing under him at Rangers or Everton, to see the regard in which he was held in the football community.

Was in London with the family when the dreaded news came through.
Fair to say he gave me some of my best memories watching us.
Never met him but a respectful genuine man it appears.
One of us, a true Ranger.
I'm so glad you saw 55.
RIP Walter.

Honestly can't believe it.

I'm one of those ones who doesn't get folk being upset when someone they don't know personally passes away.

Likewise I was younger when Davie Cooper passed and couldn't understand folk being upset about a player passing away (youthful ignorance I suppose).

But I get it now. Totally get it. Today has been a terrible day. Feel like I've lost a family member.

We see folk being devastated about subs and lineups etc. Today is devastation. Proper devastation and sadness.

We've lost a total collosus.

Mr Rangers

Walter Smiths Blue & White Army

Absolutely devastating news.

The man will always simply be Sir Walter in this family.

A true gentleman and one of Scottish Football’s greatest ever managers. Rest in peace, Sir Walter. We’ll never live to see another one like you :(

I'm one of those ones who doesn't get folk being upset when someone they don't know personally passes away.

Likewise I was younger when Davie Cooper passed and couldn't understand folk being upset about a player passing away (youthful ignorance I suppose).

But I get it now. Totally get it. Today has been a terrible day. Feel like I've lost a family member.

We see folk being devastated about subs and lineups etc. Today is devastation. Proper devastation and sadness.

Mr Rangers

This about sums my thoughts on today as well.

I recall when Sir Walter returned to Ibrox when we went into administration. Was against Hearts I think.

Standing outside wearing my Ally "We don't do walking away t shirt".

Massive crowd surrounding him, cheering him, turned and waved right in my direction and made eye contact with me and smiled.

Felt like I'd met The King. What a feeling. He's more than a legend.

He's the most Rangers man on the planet. Epitomises everything about our club.

Gutted

The fact a man I, and I suspect many others never got the chance to meet has had such an impact on our lives and brought us to tears shows how much of a great he is

Brought the best rangers moments for me and will always be our greatest manager in my eyes.

Thank you Walter, God bless and thoughts to his family, friends and everyone else he touched

Mr Rangers

Today puts a lot of things into perspective for sure.

Still genuinely cannot get to grips with the fact Walter has been taken from us.

My 1st game at Ibrox when I was 9 years old, we played Dundee Utd. I waited and waited, eventually meeting the man himself as he walked to the front door, that feeling will live with me forever.

Fast forward years and years and I was at Ibrox the night we all but won the league. In the pouring rain I stood with a tear in my eye saluting the man who brought so many happy memories for us all and glory to our great club.

Tonight I sit typing this in tears whilst reading everyone's comments and tributes. A void has been created in our hearts which will take some time to fill, if ever.

Rest easy Walter, Mr Rangers who is at peace now. Ibrox loss is heavens gain, until us Bears meet you again. WATP

It's been mentioned a few times, but I remember my dad telling me about how emotional losing Davie Cooper was to him, admittedly I didn't fully understand it until today, it feels weird being so emotional over someone I didn't personally know.

Horrible day.

Absolutely gutted by the news of walter passing away, a legend of the game itself and to me he was rangers, All the joy he gave us over the year's and endless success in my younger days watching his team's dominance of our game was magical time's, only when you get older you appreciate him more.. Rest in peace sir Walter you will always be in the heart's of every rangers fan forever...

Utterly devastated. Haven't been able to post on this thread today.

Listening to Super and King Richard has made it all the more difficult. 2 absolute giants of our club are broken at the great man's passing.

My condolences go to Walters wife, sons and family.

Rangers have lost one of the top 5 figures in our history today.

God bless you Walter, thank you for some of the greatest days of my life and may you rest in peace.

Not had tears for the passing of anyone football related since Davie Cooper. David’s eulogy on H&H had me doing it.

Walter gave me the highest points l have had in my life.

Heading to bed now as up early tomorrow. Today has been truly awful. And I’m already dreading the sinking feeling when I wake up in the morning and the realisation of Walter’s passing hits me.

Absolutely devastating

Emotional watching old clips of him and reading/watching everyone’s tributes

There will never be another one like him

Rest easy

Walter is going to leave an enormous void in every Rangers supporters life. One that will never be filled by anyone. He gave us so much happiness. Just an amazing man.
Indeed he is.

All I knew from 4 years old to 16 years old was Walter Smith at Rangers and trophy after trophy.

Fast forward and another spell dragging us from despair to trophy after trophy.

Knowing he was the same as me... a supporter.

I’ll admit, I probably won’t even grieve for some close relatives the way I’ve felt today.

The Mrs is non football and she left me to it upstairs in the office all day as she heard me sobbing away. Then gave me a hug at the end of her shift. Had another greet, just drained now.

Don’t ever let folk tell you these things shouldn’t affect you.

I will miss Walter a lot, we all will. I hope his family take comfort in the outpouring of support and grief shared among all.

He was a Titan of a man.

RIP Gaffer

To the Smith family, we support you and are in all our thoughts.

The Radio Clyde Phone-in takes a regular hammering on here, often rightly so, but their programme tonight was a very moving to tribute Walter Smith.

Kenny Miller, Gordon Dalziel, Hugh Keevins (especially) spoke very well and the host Gordon Duncan got the tone of the show spot on. Respectful callers, some with their own personal tales of meeting the great man, Celtic fans included, it was a fitting testimonial on such a sad day.

Tomorrow evening is going to be hard when we're all together as one united Rangers family.

Absolutely gutted. Grew up in the 90s when Walter delivered 9IAR. He did this with class and respect. Sad day for our club today as we lost our manager. Thoughts go out to his family who will be most impacted by the loss of the man.

Mr Rangers

I feel the same, I genuinely feel like Ive lost a member of my family today. I have shed a lot of tears today, Ive had a lump in throat all day. He was just phenomenal and precious to us, Mr Rangers indeed.

Amid the pain, grief, tributes, memories - here's a wee note of who is
sending RangersFC condolences on twitter:

Twitter condolences from the following FC's:

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

*National Team rather than FA, I think.

Nothing from other side of the city - remember this rangers & bears.

No DM from SFA to RangersFC, just condolences in their own twitter account.

You’re looking way too much in to this.

Celtic offered condolences and have at least 2 articles on their site and 4 tweets. Their manager spoke about Smith at their press conference.

The SFA haven’t replied to Rangers on Twitter, you’re right… but he was the Scotland manager. In the same way that Everton or Man U have put their own thoughts out.

Christ the man has died, give it a rest for one day.

Back