Walter Smith has passed away

The last time I saw Walter on RTV (when he was fit and healthy) I was thinking about how lucky we were to have him, and how hard it would be when he is no longer with us. But I never imagined this day would arrive so soon. Truly heartbreaking.

We are all lucky to have lived through the Walter Smith era. He will be talked about for decades to come in the same way that Bill Struth is.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but I do have this nice photo from the 2011 title celebrations:

DhOS7Nu.jpg

Thanks for the memories Walter.

Feel awful. In the past I've never felt sadness at the loss of someone that I didn't know personally. Today I've been in a bad way, and this evening of all things to set me off it was the video on the BBC website.

An absolute giant of the game who gave me the best times as a supporter of Rangers.

Absolutely gutted.

Still can't believe the news today absolutely gutted to say the least not ashamed to say there was tears watching some of the tributes today

Devastated by this news and I've been in tears all day watching, reading and listening to the numerous tributes. He exemplified everything great about not only Rangers but of football in general. A huge loss.

To those saying it feels like you've lost a family member; you have.

Whether others understand it or not we are a little family. An odd, dysfunctional family, but one bound by the bonds of the club we love.

Walter was our patriarch. A father figure. A leader. He gave us days we would never forget, led us to places we never thought we'd reach, and held our hands when it felt like all was lost.

This extends far beyond football.

We don't always agree on here, but we all share a love for our club, and we will all feel this loss. We mourn together.
What an amazing post Scarlett, got me again

My own tribute if anyone would like to read.

Devastated
Thank you for sharing, that is a lovely tribute and that sums Mr Smith up - a genuinely wonderful human being

thank you Walter, for giving me the greatest memories as a Rangers fan, for being a great human being, for being what a Ranger should be, R.I.P sir

To those saying it feels like you've lost a family member; you have.

Whether others understand it or not we are a little family. An odd, dysfunctional family, but one bound by the bonds of the club we love.

Walter was our patriarch. A father figure. A leader. He gave us days we would never forget, led us to places we never thought we'd reach, and held our hands when it felt like all was lost.

This extends far beyond football.

We don't always agree on here, but we all share a love for our club, and we will all feel this loss. We mourn together.
This for me. Well said.

RIP Gaffer

Can’t sleep.
Can anyone direct me to where I can upgrade my season ticket from concession to standard for tonight. Can’t find it on the club site.

Last edited:
What a terrible nights sleep. The impact this is having on people is a measure of the man. I was at a speakers night last year i think it was and jig was still gaffer this and gaffer that when he was speaking. Sometimes it looked like a wee boy with his hero. When walter smilth spoke you could heat a pin drop. He captured the full room and thats a hard thing to do when people are drinking. Dont thinkn1 person went to the toilet. Lol

Watching the video tributes you not only smile at Walter's reaction and enjoyment of the goals, wins and celebrations but the drive and intensity of his teams is palpable. Its not random that they all had it and as much as those teams featured some special players you know it started from Walter himself and the way he set the tone for playing.

Rangers have missed that badly since he retired and I think Steven Gerrard has come closest to recapturing it, at least for short periods.

Itll probably never be quite like that again but as Gerrard himself said its part of the club DNA now.

Thanks to Walter.

Been up all night. Can't sleep. Trawling rubbish all night on social media, and from further climes.

Amazing how far this has reached.

Expats will be devastated as the rest of us.

Thoughts from your area @Fbearblue ?

Sounds really daft to say but I’m glad his illness was kept private and his family and friends got the privacy they deserved. Would have been terrible for them constantly reading articles about him.

I still can’t believe it tbh. Mr Rangers for me.

No. Your first sentence says it all. Totally agree.

Every time I open this forum and see this thread header it’s like a punch in the face seeing those words. It still hasn’t properly sunken in.

Gutted

Even though I knew that he had been in poor health it still crossed my mind last week that if SG had gone to Newcastle, maybe Walter would step in until the end of the season and guide us to one more title. What planet was I on? I can still barely believe that this has happened.

A man with such an aura and presence I thought he would be around forever.

I think the outpouring since the news from all corners has shown he most definately will be.

RIP.

Been going through Twitter all day yesterday and this morning and it’s all about Walter. Tributes coming for everyone and everywhere showing what an amazing man he was. I Was listening to talkSPORT when the news broke and immediately thought about ally as he was presenting the show. Would have been hard for him when he came back on but, what an amazing tribute he gave. Rest in peace Walter

RIP Walter.
I was fortunate enough to see the teams from when he came through the door to his second spell. Boy did you give me some great memories. An absolute mountain of great days and nights watching winning teams. Some lows but you always had us forgetting them by having silverware at the end of the season.
Rangers have lost one of their greatest!

Walter Smith has has passed away

This morning, surrounded by his family, Walter slipped from this life to the next.

Our leader, our hero, our friend - has been promoted to Glory.

In a life full of success he brought us tears and laughter but always with old school values.

We thank him for his service.

Not ashamed to say yesterday was a struggle can’t believe Walter Smith has passed away!Gutted and still numb today! RIP and deep condolences to Mrs Smith and her family!
WATP

First Post on this thread, went over to Ibrox yesterday morning with my parents to lay flowers and my scarf. I've never felt such a powerful and collective outpouring of grief in my life. Growing up in the 90s this man gave me everything and I will forever be truly grateful. Thanks for everything Walter, you will be sorely missed.

It’s a bit of a comfort that it appears that absolutely everyone he ever crossed paths with has come out and said how great a man Walter Smith was. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many touching, heartfelt tributes from so many people for one man.

Was some brilliant tributes and kind words spoken about this absolute legend yesterday on TV and radio, watery eyes all day.

WSBAWA

I was going to post earlier but had a hard job chopping onions.
My emotions are raw, memories of Walter still fresh as the days we all experienced with him together.
All the previous posts I love.
I wish there was a "like all" button.
Walter lives on in my memories.
Legend is a word loosely used.
Walter IS a true Legend. Will never be forgotten.
Sorry people, mind is numb ATM.
Take care fellow Bears.
Love y'all

Completely gutted

Thank you Sir Walter, a hero and legend

Words cannot express the pride, joy, gratitude and love we have for you

Thoughts with his family, friends and the whole Rangers family

The tributes have been truly touching from all over and just shows the respect the great man commanded.

I only met Walter once. It was in House of Frasers years ago and I froze. All I could do was say hi to him and shake his hand. I was completely star struck.

The tributes have been truly touching from all over and just shows the respect the great man commanded.

I only met Walter once. It was in House of Frasers years ago and I froze. All I could do was say hi to him and shake his hand. I was completely star struck.
I'd never met Walter. Closest I'd ever got was walking down Buchanan St a few years ago & Walter on his own walking past. I've never felt comfortable about approaching somebody famous or one of my heroes, they are just normal blokes the same as me and you & going about their business, I didn't want to bother him.

Wish now I had, and shook his hand to thank him for being an absolute legend for our club.

Back