Walter Smith has passed away

I'd never met Walter. Closest I'd ever got was walking down Buchanan St a few years ago & Walter on his own walking past. I've never felt comfortable about approaching somebody famous or one of my heroes, they are just normal blokes the same as me and you & going about their business, I didn't want to bother him.

Wish now I had, and shook his hand to thank him for being an absolute legend for our club.
I think we would have seen him at the same time as that's where he was a few years back when I got my only glimpse of him in the real world.

He was waiting to go into Hugo Boss and I was waiting for a friend yards away. He was such an imposing man, immaculately presented.

I am devastated - actually feels like losing a member of the family. Everyone knows my story on here. (See the Celtic boys club thread. Abused for over a decade etc from the age of 6 trafficked etc)

At a time when i was being hurt, your Rangers were the only escape I had Walter YOUR rangers, the 9 in a row team and Ibrox were my safe zone growing up, I'll always be grateful to you, it is no exaggeration to say without that escape I might not be here today,

On the one occasion i did meet you it was like meeting god- but you were humble and dignified amid my overreaction.

They say never meet your heroes but on this occasion I'm glad i did, you were the epitome of the word dignity,

They are few figures in my life, outside family who meant as much as you did to me.

You transcend Scottish football and are one of the few figures whose death has shown us that there is more to lives than club rivalries.

My thoughts are with Ethel and family

Rest in peace, Sir Walter, in an era, where lesser men are made sirs routinely, it is a travesty you were never made a sir in your lifetime, but my hope is now it is done posthumously, even that is not a big enough tribute to what you mean to so many people.

Sleep easy gaffer.

Back