Walter Smith's Best XI (first spell)

The Gallant Few

What's your best 11 from Walter's first spell? we went with the rule that it had to be from his first full season in charge, excluding the likes of butcher etc.

Team we finished with was

GK - Goram
RB - Stevens
CB - Gough
CB - Brown
LB - Robertson
RM - Laudrup
CM - Gazza
CM - McCall
LM - Huistra
ST - McCoist
ST - Hatley

We've been getting a lot of stick about no Albertz for Huistra, but the argument was compelling at the time!

The link for the show if anyone wants to listen, also up on apple:

Fergie over Mccall for me. Albertz over Huistra for me also, however i understand Albertz only had a season.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the failed 10 season.

Last edited:
GK - Goram
RB - Stevens
CB - Gough
CB - Brown
LB - Robertson
CM - Ferguson
CM - Gascoigne
CM - McCall
AM - Laudrup
ST - Hateley
ST - McCoist

Ferguson and McCall providing the muscle either side of Gazza, width coming from Robertson and Stevens, Laudrup in the free role.

Tricky Trev and Durrant unlucky to miss out.

For me it would be;

GK - Goram
RB - McCall
CB - Gough
CB - Brown
LB - Robertson
RM - Durrant
CM - Gascoigne
CM - I Ferguson
LM - Laudrup
ST - McCoist
ST - Hateley

Shoehorned McCall into RB as didn’t want to leave him out.

I would take any of these choices right now given the opportunity. I thought that a great piece of business was selling Trevor Steven to Marseille and replacing him with Stuart McCall for a fraction of the price

Goram, Stevens, Gough, Brown, Robertson, Laudrup, Gascoigne, McCall, Albertz, McCoist, Hateley.

It's got to be Albertz over Huistra - some of his best moments happened under Walter. And a midfield 4 of Albertz, McCall, Gascoigne and Laudrup is almost perfect.

Goram, Stevens, Gough, Brown, Robertson, Laudrup, Gascoigne, McCall, Albertz, McCoist, Hateley.

It's got to be Albertz over Huistra - some of his best moments happened under Walter. And a midfield 4 of Albertz, McCall, Gascoigne and Laudrup is almost perfect.

That Midfield is a dream.

Goram
Stevens
McLaren
Gough
Robertson
Laudrup
Gascoigne
Albertz
Mikhailitchenko
McCoist
Hateley

I would have Amo in there

Goram
Stevens
Amoruso
Gough
Robertson
Laudrup
Gascoigne
McCall
Albertz
Hateley
McCoist

Although we had Barry Ferguson on the books at that time so would slot him in for McCall if that’s not cheating

Bjorklund
The one that got away so to speak
Never felt we ever got his best

I would take any of these choices right now given the opportunity. I thought that a great piece of business was selling Trevor Steven to Marseille and replacing him with Stuart McCall for a fraction of the price
Trevor Steven was one of the top 5 players in Britain at the time and one of the best Rangers players i have seen. Mccall was a total different player but Steven was levels above. Pure class of a footballer. Especially first time around

Trevor Steven was one of the top 5 players in Britain at the time and one of the best Rangers players i have seen. Mccall was a total different player but Steven was levels above. Pure class of a footballer. Especially first time around
Agree and would say the same about pre injury Durrant but I had balance in mind with mine so didn’t want to go with Steven/Durrant and Gascoigne as a pairing... perhaps overthinking it lol

Also, although he didn’t have as much impact with us as he did at Milan, Gattuso could be included...

Laudrup, Gascoigne, Gattuso, Albertz

That midfield at their peak!!!

Goram
Stevens Gough Brown Robertson
Laudrup Gascogne McCall Albertz
McCoist Hateley

Feels wrong leaving Ian Ferguson out of this team but it was tight between him and McCall.

Put Laudrup left, put Trevor Steven or Ian Durrant right.

Job done.
I’m thinking Durrant for McCall, Steven for Laudrup and Laudrup for Huistra.
Possibly Ian Ferguson for McCall for some games but they two wide changes are definite.

McCall right back.
Durrant in midfield.
Thats it for me

GK - Goram
RB - Stevens
CB - Gough
CB - Brown
LB - Robertson
CM - Ferguson
CM - Gascoigne
CM - McCall
AM - Laudrup
ST - Hateley
ST - McCoist

Ferguson and McCall providing the muscle either side of Gazza, width coming from Robertson and Stevens, Laudrup in the free role.

Tricky Trev and Durrant unlucky to miss out.

Goram
Stevens Gough Brown Robertson
Laudrup Gascogne McCall Albertz
McCoist Hateley

Feels wrong leaving Ian Ferguson out of this team but it was tight between him and McCall.
Ferguson miles better than McCall imo.

I'd probably go for mikhailchenko over huistra but that personal preference as huistra probably played more. However moving laudrup to left and adding trevor Steven in is a good shout, as is Albertz over huistra.

Trevor Steven before McCall , never

My memory of Trevor Steven on European nights was as a a commentator always injured.

1. Goram GK
2. McCall RFB
3. Albertz LCM
4. Gough RCB
5. Robertson LFB
6. Brown LCB
7. Durrant RCM
8. Gascoigne CM
9. McCoist CF
10. Hateley CF
11. Laudrup AM

The last time this thread popped up, I took some grief for saying that as good as Gascoigne and Laudrup were I'd go with the 92/93 team that almost went to a Euro final.

I stand by it.

I'd go with that 11 as well. Tough on Trevor Steven and Durrant but inevitably some class players were going to miss out.

Had look at this in terms of appearance stats under Walter to see if it threw up a different perspective. In total 28 players made more than 50 appearances in Walters first term.

In terms of most appearances in each position the first XI would be;

Goram, Cleland, Robertson, Gough, Brown, McCall, Ferguson, Durrant, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley

A second XI would feature;

Maxwell (shudders), Stevens, McPherson, Petric, McLaren, Miko, Huistra, Steven, Gascoigne, Miller, Durie (4-5-1 in true Walter 2nd spell style)

The 6 who fell short in their position to make either 11; Moore, Bjorklund, Albertz, Murray, Spackman and Gordon.

Throws up a few things for me, only real surprise in the first 11 is Cleland. Stevens by far the better player but to play so much in a successful side shows Cleland had Walters trust and was obviously a dependable teammate, perhaps slightly underrated in terms of his contribution.

If you took position out of it and just went on pure appearances, you'd end up with a 3-4-3 swapping Durie for Cleland.

Also shows over a long spell, quite a small group who contributed so much.

Had look at this in terms of appearance stats under Walter to see if it threw up a different perspective. In total 28 players made more than 50 appearances in Walters first term.

In terms of most appearances in each position the first XI would be;

Goram, Cleland, Robertson, Gough, Brown, McCall, Ferguson, Durrant, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley

A second XI would feature;

Maxwell (shudders), Stevens, McPherson, Petric, McLaren, Miko, Huistra, Steven, Gascoigne, Miller, Durie (4-5-1 in true Walter 2nd spell style)

The 6 who fell short in their position to make either 11; Moore, Bjorklund, Albertz, Murray, Spackman and Gordon.

Throws up a few things for me, only real surprise in the first 11 is Cleland. Stevens by far the better player but to play so much in a successful side shows Cleland had Walters trust and was obviously a dependable teammate, perhaps slightly underrated in terms of his contribution.

If you took position out of it and just went on pure appearances, you'd end up with a 3-4-3 swapping Durie for Cleland.

Also shows over a long spell, quite a small group who contributed so much.
What was your source for the stats, I never trust Wikipedia and couldn't find anything to nicely summarise the appearances

I have serious mental health issues,shit this makes me disappear and go on a bender for days,how did I not put in Trevor Steven? Why no McCall? How the %^*& did I forget about Mark Walters???? Lol
Op I’ll get back to you in 6 months.

See what I mean, I can’t for one minute fathom why some of you don’t have Gary Stevens as right back,I’m totally pickled:p

Back