Walters best signings as starting line up

Walter could always pick a centre half, don't think he ever signed a bad one, centre forwards was another matter with Durie the only real success in his first spell, Negri's reign was too short lived. Then again when you have Hateley and McCoist I suppose you don't really need many alternatives
Big Dunc, Rozental and Negri weren't the successes they should/could have been for various reasons. Salenko was an odd one though and quickly moved on.

Or those he gave their debuts to.

Andy Goram

Sergio Porrini
Carlos Cuellar
Lorenzo Amoruso
David Robertson

Barry Ferguson
Jorg Albertz
Paul Gascoigne
Steven Davis

Brian Laudrup
Nikica Jelavic

Not too shabby. Had to leave out 8 Uefa cup finalists .
I always get criticised/laughed at for this, but I would have big Dave Mcpherson at right back. Agreed with rest of the team.

I always get criticised/laughed at for this, but I would have big Dave Mcpherson at right back. Agreed with rest of the team.
I'd agree. MacPherson was an awkward big guy but turned in some solid performances.

Alec Cleland is the other option at right back for me rather than Porrini - purely based on performances under Walter.

Andy Goram

Sergio Porrini
Carlos Cuellar
Lorenzo Amoruso
David Robertson

Barry Ferguson
Jorg Albertz
Paul Gascoigne
Steven Davis

Brian Laudrup
Nikica Jelavic

No Broadfoot ?! B-)

Andy Goram

Sergio Porrini
Carlos Cuellar
Lorenzo Amoruso
David Robertson

Barry Ferguson
Jorg Albertz
Paul Gascoigne
Steven Davis

Brian Laudrup
Nikica Jelavic

Mo Mikhailitchenko? I always rated him highly. Defo on the bench for me.

I'd agree. MacPherson was an awkward big guy but turned in some solid performances.

Alec Cleland is the other option at right back for me rather than Porrini - purely based on performances under Walter.
I actually liked Whittaker a lot. Great going forward. But Porrini certainly better defensively.

Andy Goram

Sergio Porrini
Carlos Cuellar
Lorenzo Amoruso
David Robertson

Barry Ferguson
Jorg Albertz
Paul Gascoigne
Steven Davis

Brian Laudrup
Nikica Jelavic

Aye well one was Kirk Broadfoot who wouldn't even make it onto a joke 11 so you can probably reduce that to 7.

Big Dunc pushed Hateley onto a higher plain with his performances, it underlines the need for competition for places.
I'd disagree with the Hateley Dunc comparison. Hateley had already peaked with us, Dunc was there to step in to his shoes in time but for various reasons, including not hitting the ground running, it didn't work out. Ferguson's showings for us were never in the same league as Hateley at his peak. Hateley simply terrified defences.

Going for a classic Wattie 3-5-2

Goram

Weir
Cuellar
Amoruso

Whittaker
Gascoigne
McCall
Albertz
Robertson

Laudrup
Jelavic

I was born in 98 and missed out on some amazing players looking at some of these replies, Older bears were absolutely spoiled!…not jealous a promise :)):))

I'm going on basis that I think Smith gave Craig Moore his debut and surprised he isn't in more of these line ups, though granted his best performances were probably under Advocat.
Haha....he just shaded out Fraser Wishart!
Porrini the popular choice but for value for money I thought Cleland was ok.
Cleland is a decent shout. Never let anyone down and went on to do ok in the Premier League too.

I personally don't think we should include players he brought back after their best days were behind them like Gough, Hateley or Steven. And although he gave Barry Ferguson his debut, fair to say it was only under Advocaat he became the great Rangers player he was.

So if I set those rules for myself, which others can ignore if they want, I'd pick

Goram

Porrini
Weir
Amoruso
Robertson

McCall

Davis
Gascgoigne
Albertz
Laudrup

Jelavic

Big Dunc, Rozental and Negri weren't the successes they should/could have been for various reasons. Salenko was an odd one though and quickly moved on.

Van Vossen another who was a great player that could have been a success but for that miss. Bo Anderson great start, faded badly but he clearly had something. Darcheville and Cousin weren’t bad either.

He also signed Johansson who went on to form a great partnership with Rod Wallace in the early Advocaat days. He was very unlucky with the signings in his last season, some great players Thern, Amoruso, Porrini, Negri spent most or much of the season injured. Gattuso was a bit raw but went on to be world class, Johansson and Vidmar went on to do well under Advocaat and no doubt would have done well under him had he stayed on.

He was brilliant at spotting the right player, very hard to pick an 11, I think of Steven, Gough, and Hateley as Souness signings that Smith re-signed, for their contribution as Smith signings I’d go:

Goram

Whittaker (feels wrong including this arsehole but probably contributed more over the piece than Porrini and McPherson)
Weir
Amoruso
Robertson

Davis
McCall
Gascoigne
Albertz

Laudrup
Miller (could have went Durie here but Miller was probably more important to the 3 in a row than Durie was to 9 in a row. Jelavic was class but only played the last season, Negri gave a brilliant half season, should have been Big Dunc).

Where’s the porrini love in come from? Never saw him week in week out as I was too young but impressions were he was a solid full back during a trophy laden spell but never heard much fanfare about his spell lol was he that good?

I personally don't think we should include players he brought back after their best days were behind them like Gough, Hateley or Steven. And although he gave Barry Ferguson his debut, fair to say it was only under Advocaat he became the great Rangers player he was.

So if I set those rules for myself, which others can ignore if they want, I'd pick

Goram

Porrini
Weir
Amoruso
Robertson

McCall

Davis
Gascgoigne
Albertz
Laudrup

Jelavic

You should probably leave Amoruso out with the criteria you set yourself. He only played about 5 games under Walter.

Where’s the porrini love in come from? Never saw him week in week out as I was too young but impressions were he was a solid full back during a trophy laden spell but never heard much fanfare about his spell lol was he that good?

He played right side of a back 3 under Walter. He was alright that season.

He played right back in Advocaats first season, so part of a treble winning team, but didnt feature much in his 2nd. Claudio Reyna and Tony Vidmar spent a lot of that season at right back.

Back