Warburton: i should have trusted my gut more on transfers

I disagree; I think this club is something you never quite get over if youhave had the honour of being it's manager. I haven't had the chance to read the OP, but that either Warburton, or maybe even Le Guen every wish they could do it differently and spend a considerable time thinking about it wouldn't surprise me.

The reputation damage appears to have been a tougher one for Warburton to get over given he seems to be on a continual media tour of "it wasnae me I'm actually talented"

It isn't changing, he isn't coming back....he knows it.... this isn't about regret its about wanting another job and using the reputation of Rangers to try and get one.

And having now relented and actually watched the clip I just see a wee baldy imposter who ended up out of his depth, has realised it was the biggest opportunity he'll ever have in his career and is now grubbing around for excuses. Fucking technicians...

The reputation damage appears to have been a tougher one for Warburton to get over given he seems to be on a continual media tour of "it wasnae me I'm actually talented"

It isn't changing, he isn't coming back....he knows it.... this isn't about regret its about wanting another job and using the reputation of Rangers to try and get one.
There are not many clubs as good as this one, I'm impressed that Gerrard has recognised that very quickly. Anyone who sees Rangers as some kind of stepping stone rarely finds it so. Listen to Defoe's interview at the weekend; it's hard for me to imagine that you can be manager and looking elsewhere. If he did that, it would be a huge mistake and would have meant he was the wrong man. On a football level, though, I think he is better than he's given credit for.

There are not many clubs as good as this one, I'm impressed that Gerrard has recognised that very quickly. Anyone who sees Rangers as some kind of stepping stone rarely finds it so. Listen to Defoe's interview at the weekend; it's hard for me to imagine that you can be manager and looking elsewhere. If he did that, it would be a huge mistake and would have meant he was the wrong man. On a football level, though, I think he is better than he's given credit for.

I think he affords himself more credit than his CV deserves - the talking head of Warburton is a better manager than the reality

He has absolutely no right to be angry.

He tried to find a new club for himself, thought he had, then when it hit problems, attempted to backtrack claiming he was doing nothing of the sort and that we were forcing him out instead.

It was utter rubbish and he knows it.
Agreed mate.

Off field issues aside, we came up with a £6m wage budget and spent about £2m.

We then proceeded to throw about £15m (including compensation and pay off fees) on the Pedro experiment, as well as increasing the average wage by about 40%.

Would we have been any worse in those 2 years if we had just given that money to Warburton? I can’t imagine so. He wanted guys like Mawson, Tarkowski and Abraham.

King wouldn't sign off on anything after they fell out in the summer of 2016 over the bonus issue. Warburton was on borrowed time from that point forward and to be brutally honest, King and Co should have dealt with the situation in the summer rather than literally waste a season when the whole working relationship had broken down.

That and then their Pedro Brain Fart has put us back about two years in our recovery and Gerrard is still trying to rid himself of the legacy issues.

Ironically, the highs of the "magic hat" days are probably something he will try and re-live for the rest of his days.

Like that first hit of ching!

I honestly wish Warburton would shut the feck up. Why are people interested in soliciting his opinions? As I posted at the time he quit - Rangers were the biggest club this chump will ever get to manage. In truth he was a failure, who thought he could use Rangers as a stepping stone to the EPL, believing that the team he connived to join - Nottingham F - would soon under his direction, achieve promotion. How did that work out for you Mark?

The amount of disrespect shown to Warburton leaves a lot to be desired; most of which ignores the context of where the club was when he took the job.
What did he do for us really though?

After his initial first 10-15 games in the job we were rank rotten and teams had found us out. People go on about his season in the championship as if we were Barcalona. We struggled for large parts of that season in a league where we had a far superior budget. He fucked the Scottish Cup Final.

He signed multiple duds ( Senderos,Niko, Dodoo, MOH, Garner, Kiernan, Forrester and Hodson to name a few and signed a number of them on long term deals.

He then embarrassed us with some of the shit he served up when we were in the SPFL. And to finish it off, he screwed us over at the end. You can bet your mortgage I’ll be showing the man disrespect.

After his initial first 10-15 games in the job we were rank rotten and teams had found us out. People go on about his season in the championship as if we were Barcalona. We struggled for large parts of that season in a league where we had a far superior budget. He fucked the Scottish Cup Final.

He signed multiple duds ( Senderos,Niko, Dodoo, MOH, Garner, Kiernan, Forrester and Hodson to name a few and signed a number of them on long term deals.

He then embarrassed us with some of the shit he served up when we were in the SPFL. And to finish it off, he screwed us over at the end. You can bet your mortgage I’ll be showing the man disrespect.

He spoke about wanting loads of good players we didn't have the budget for though, I mean amazing stuff!

Do you think that what a player costs guarantees a return on what that player will do at this club, even if he costs more than the values of other teams in that division? History says something entirely different.

There are no guarantees you are right. We of all teams should know that given recent experience.

But part of a manager’s job in conjunction with a DoF is to weigh up the pros and cons of a signing versus available budget and when they get it spectacularly wrong as Warburton did latterly then they will be criticised.

He made some really good signings particularly early on in retrospect (Tav, Wes, Waghorn, Windass) but as time went on and the numbers got bigger the quality of the signings deteriorated.

There are no guarantees you are right. We of all teams should know that given recent experience.

But part of a manager’s job in conjunction with a DoF is to weigh up the pros and cons of a signing versus available budget and when they get it spectacularly wrong as Warburton did latterly then they will be criticised.

He made some really good signings particularly early on in retrospect (Tav, Wes, Waghorn, Windass) but as time went on and the numbers got bigger the quality of the signings deteriorated.
On the whole, you made a great post. I can only think he thought, after the SC Final defeat that we needed experience; which we had to acquire on a relatively limited budget.

The fans loved Garner? Couldn’t stand the guy, he was fucking dog shit.

That song became more a joke figure than because he was liked.

Warburton improved us immeasurably from where we were before he arrived and where we were when he left.

And he did it on peanuts.

People should remember that when they're putting the boot in.
but they peanuts was still the second biggest budget in the country by miles

Mad to think about the number of people on here doing their nut at the media for linking him with every job going in England when he was actually engineering it all himself.

but they peanuts was still the second biggest budget in the country by miles

Our wage bill has increased by about 15m since Warburton left and we've spent about 15m (possibly more) gross in transfer fees when he only spent 3m ish on 27 players. If his budget was the second biggest ''by miles'' then f*ck knows what it is now. It's in a different stratosphere.

By the time he left the support wanted rid of him anyway and that started after the cup final,where I heard the first grumbling of discontent in his substitutions that day that handed hibs the cup.the scenes at the end of the cup final saved serious scrutiny of his failings that day

The richest club in the Championship with an excessive wage bill who had previously underperformed....

Boo hoo - had to take a gun to a knife fight against teams like Alloa and faced competition from Hibs.

Of course we faced competition from Hibs, they were in the same league. Hibs never got close to us in the run in at all. The one time they had a chance to go ahead of us we destroyed them playing some great football.

There was no title challenge whatsoever.

Of course we faced competition from Hibs, they were in the same league. Hibs never got close to us in the run in at all. The one time they had a chance to go ahead of us we destroyed them playing some great football.

There was no title challenge whatsoever.

Hibs were dross that year - getting beat from them in a Cup final was a total ridder.

He started so well, i really had high hopes for him. However, he's typical of many modern English managers: very technical, wanting to play like Barcelona but not having the players to do so. Couldn't do the basics like spot a good centre half or change tactics to grind a win. Walter Smith's 2nd spell is a perfect example of what to do build a team. Buy a couple of good centre halves (weir, Cuellar, boogie). Sign genuine quality strikers rather than squad fillers (jelavic). Play to your strengths (ie don't get rob kiernan to play out from the back in a gale force wind on a sand pit at tyncastle). Look how that's worked for clarke at Killie.

We were leaking goals left right and centre after xmas, and just got over the line in the end.
He and weir were rank rotten.

Totally deluded. So many contradictions.

Says you must have a tight squad so everyone has a chance then says we didn’t win the Scottish cup as we were out on our feet tired and didn’t have enough subs???

Still can’t believe we replaced him with Pedro mind you, dearie me...

His comments about Jock Wallace are very telling and show he never had the right mentality to manage us.

The Kranjcar signing was completely unprofessional as well. He was absolutely shot and playing in the lower leagues of the USA. Guy could barely walk.

Everyone enjoyed the brand of football Warburton brought to us at first but his stubbornness cost him his job. This 'Plan A better' nonsense was ridiculous. Teams knew exactly how to set up against us and we couldn't alter it.

Quite sad that most people puting the boot in probably haven’t watched the interview

I don’t think there was anything that bad in the interview. He was told he needed experience so prioritised that over ability and regrets it, he wishes he trusted his gut more and I understand that

He has some good ideas and probably more suited to a director of football type role, he had a big part to play in our successful academy and youth teams at the moment

Being able to be flexible and change it is in the end what cost him his job, we started like a house on fire but hit a wall after the hibs game at Xmas, losing a late equaliser to Raith Rovers when we had the title in our grasp was the wake up moment, but we never really recovered from that

I’ve just finished the interview.

He doesn’t really say much wrong and I actually agree with his ideas in terms of coaching/player development.

However, you can just tell he never had nor will have the mentality to manage a club like Rangers. That is abundantly clear.

His gut? As opposed to what, his brain? Which part was it that told him to go for players that got him, his daughter and McFarceland a nice little earner?

Totally deluded. So many contradictions.

Says you must have a tight squad so everyone has a chance then says we didn’t win the Scottish cup as we were out on our feet tired and didn’t have enough subs???

Still can’t believe we replaced him with Pedro mind you, dearie me...

They were out on their feet due to tiredness but Hibs were just off the back of play off games where they lost, so Warburton can spare me the "tired" excuse. We lost because we coasted every game after Hibs at home in December barring the tims in the Cup and Dundee the round before that, and we had a defence which were terrified of doing any defending. Kiernans was closer to getting the train at Mount Florida than he was closing Stokes down for their first goal and I've erased the next two from my mind.

His signings when we got into the top flight were absolutely shocking. Barton I thought might work but no idea what he thought he was doing with Niko.

I’ve just finished the interview.

He doesn’t really say much wrong and I actually agree with his ideas in terms of coaching/player development.

However, you can just tell he never had nor will have the mentality to manage a club like Rangers. That is abundantly clear.

That's pretty much what I took from it too. Great philosophy which doesn't quite meet the reality of the situation.

They were out on their feet due to tiredness but Hibs were just off the back of play off games where they lost, so Warburton can spare me the "tired" excuse. We lost because we coasted every game after Hibs at home in December barring the tims in the Cup and Dundee the round before that, and we had a defence which were terrified of doing any defending. Kiernans was closer to getting the train at Mount Florida than he was closing Stokes down for their first goal and I've erased the next two from my mind.

His signings when we got into the top flight were absolutely shocking. Barton I thought might work but no idea what he thought he was doing with Niko.

I took pelters at the time for expressing disappointment on here that Hibs weren't in the play-off finals.

There's simply no way they'd have committed to the final with as much gusto as they would have if they still had one eye on promotion.

He's on Twitter asking Rangers fans who are criticising him for their phone numbers in order to explain himself.

Bit odd.

See he is still pedalling the lie that we were second when we left. Call me bitter but there is too much bluster and bullshit in that interview. He’s a liar. “We finished second”. No we were third. “ I was lucky enough to manage in 4 or 5 old firm games”. You managed 3. “Tav was the only one that missed a penalty”. No Nicky Clark missed one aswell. “I didn’t choose to leave Rangers”. Pretty sure you were away whoring yourself down South. He’s dripping with misplaced self confidence and is still coming out with his bullshit.

That's pretty much what I took from it too. Great philosophy which doesn't quite meet the reality of the situation.
Yes, i agree. He still talks a great game but glib statements such as 'looking after the football' and pseudo football chat revolving around 'philosophy' don't cut it if you can't win games of football. I think he would be a good head of academy, but in no way, shape or form could he manage at our level. Can you imagine the guy in the champions league? Trying to go toe to toe with Barca in the tika taka stakes...it would be double figures.

His tactics were found out 4 month into the job, that 2nd half of the season we actually struggled in most games so wasn’t surprised that we were really poor in that 1st season back.

Back