Warburton interview in The Guardian

luckywhitefeather

His rangers time gets a mention

The sacking at Forrest seems to have really pissed him off.

Personally I hope he does well at QPR, he got us back to top league and we did play some great stuff under him , sadly the recurring problems were too much, but there you go, ultimately I don’t want to see anyone with rangers connections fail in their footballing career,
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rburton-nottingham-forest-rangers-loftus-road

I'd be pissed off too if I got sacked from a job I spent months sleekitly whoring myself out for behind the back of my current employer.

Teams had Warburton figured out in the second half of the Championship season. He's never a top-level manger; I don't think I will ever properly be over the disgraceful, cowardly loss to those junkie bastards in the Scottish Cup final.

I’ll never
I'd be pissed off too if I got sacked from a job I spent months sleekitly whoring myself out for behind the back of my current employer.

Teams had Warburton figured out in the second half of the Championship season. He's never a top-level manger; I don't think I will ever properly be over the disgraceful, cowardly loss to those junkie bastards in the Scottish Cup final.
I’ll never get over that

I can’t hold a grudge against Warburton. I accept he was a limited manager who got found out and I accept he talked a good game but was always looking after number one. However, he won us back our pride, got us back into the top league and we played some fantastic football at the start. I remember watching the 3-1 game against St Mirren and I was absolutely buzzing for the season ahead.

I can’t hold a grudge against Warburton. I accept he was a limited manager who got found out and I accept he talked a good game but was always looking after number one. However, he won us back our pride, got us back into the top league and we played some fantastic football at the start. I remember watching the 3-1 game against St Mirren and I was absolutely buzzing for the season ahead.

mo johnston compared us to brazil during halftime at the sc semi final

No ill will here either.

It was clear his days were numbered, he was told as much.

Everyone who thinks they are on a shoogly peg actively looks for a new job.

It didn’t end nicely. But we didn’t come out of it glowingly either

The man who warmed up for a SCF with a match against Spurs U20s. Should've been given the heave at six o'clock that night.

Could've been worse right enough. He could've arranged the game against Brentford U5s where he scouted most of his signings.

He was working his ticket practically before the ink dried on his contract.

I'm struggling here to work out why this would be a bad thing?

His rangers time gets a mention

The sacking at Forrest seems to have really pissed him off.

Personally I hope he does well at QPR, he got us back to top league and we did play some great stuff under him , sadly the recurring problems were too much, but there you go, ultimately I don’t want to see anyone with rangers connections fail in their footballing career,
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rburton-nottingham-forest-rangers-loftus-road

Fitting that the only like this has got so far is from ‘Davie Weir’.

Guy’s a snake. Hope he’s on the dole soon.

I'm just an old softy - my take was he and Weir were looking for an exit that suited everyone, and trying to leave on good terms.

DK saw an opportunity to save the club some cash (and maybe squeeze some out of Forest) by throwing MW under the bus and hey-ho under the bus they went. I actually thought it was King who came out of it looking less trustworthy. But as long as he's doing it for our benefit I'll forgive him.

I still like Warburton and Weir. Their first 6 months after the McCoist/ McDowell/ McCall clusterfuck era restored my pleasure in football.

BWsfchj.gif

He painted them out to be like Real Madrid. A slick presenter who talked the talk. Remember his big pal saying that Rob Kiernan was a CL level centre-half?

Still struggling to see the issue in having a pro cup final match against a talented youth squad when the Championship season had finished long before the game with Hibs?

In that article he goes on about 3,4,5 thousand pound a week players....

Forgetting he signed Barton & Kranjcar to name 2. They wouldnt have been on peanuts.

I wasn't going to bother with the article - who really needs to read another Warburton interview, right? - but then I did, and in amongst it all, he's still adamant that he didn't resign from Ibrox, still essentially ducking the issue that led to him leaving, namely that he went behind the club's back to engineer a move to Forest then denied that he did, still inferring expectations were too high at the club in the face of Celtic's financial and technical superiority and still basically refusing to show any humility that he didn't have the stature or ability to take a club of our size forward, and that's why I find it difficult to simply say, "Best of luck to you, Mark!"

But hey, more fool me for reading the bloody article, eh?

Funnily enough, the magic hat song popped into my head 2 nights ago on the nightshift and was singing it to myself. The first season (cup final aside) was a great time for us but I think the thing that really rankles with me was the whole business about the agents he used for recruiting players. Something to do with his daughter, wasn't it? Time as our manager will always be tainted by that.

The role of the club, King in particular, in Warburton’s departure is glossed over on here.

Warburton was a good manager for us. Lot of people forget he inherited a team that had lost 6-1 to Motherwell. Took us to our only cup final of the last 8 years and humiliated the Yahoos into the bargain. If he’d been backed like Pedro and Gerrard then who knows.

He was only ever interested in money.

His shenanigans the summer between winning the championship and premiership was the real eye opener for a few.

Doubling his wage for winning the Scottish Championship ffs.

Maybe if he had won the SCF and led us to a reasonable stage in Europe through winning that then maybe he could have asked for a reasonable wage increase.

The role of the club, King in particular, in Warburton’s departure is glossed over on here.

Warburton was a good manager for us. Lot of people forget he inherited a team that had lost 6-1 to Motherwell. Took us to our only cup final of the last 8 years and humiliated the Yahoos into the bargain. If he’d been backed like Pedro and Gerrard then who knows.
I agree.Think the snake like way he tried to manoeuvre his move has tainted people's memories and feelings for him.

Pedro is fair game, but Warburton would never have achieved what Gerrard has to date for the simple reason that he has no idea how to set up a defence.

He was sacked by Forest because he lost more games than he won and their supporters made the same howls of frustration about his lack of defensive nous and tactical rigidity that we did.

As said before, Warburton would get a lot more slack on here if he’d simply show a bit more humility.

He did a decent job and who knows, had he been given Pedro’s transfer kitty would probably have made a better fist of it than he did, but ultimately the job was too big for him yet he still refuses to accept his limitations may have been a factor in his demise, although I’ll agree with you that the club didn’t cover themselves in roses with the way it ended either.

How time flies! He was the Messiah once upon a time.

I can remember arguing with a guy on here who believed - as many did - that the Scottish media were running scared of him and were linking him with every English job going in an attempt to get him to leave. Turns out he was doing all of that himself.

No he wasn’t. Well not overall, he had a great 6 month spell then was figured out, then him and his dodgy mate went and wasted money on shite, he never got how crucial the “winning” part was at Rangers at all. If he was afford more money and the TBITB would have wasted it on more championship crap whilst greasing palms. His coaching career since also suggests he’s just not very good.

It’s great that he cleaned up things here to an extent, but actually improving on what McCoist had left wasn’t ever going to take much, we really were rock bottom. He was/is the archetypal snake oil salesman. I’ll hold my hands up and admit I feel for hook, line and sinker. He charmed a lot of us and is clearly an intelligent and fairly articulate man who has a way with words.

His two biggest outlays were on the wrong side of 30 and didn't fit the system he was determined to stick to.

Not so sure it would have been much different

I'm just an old softy - my take was he and Weir were looking for an exit that suited everyone, and trying to leave on good terms.

DK saw an opportunity to save the club some cash (and maybe squeeze some out of Forest) by throwing MW under the bus and hey-ho under the bus they went. I actually thought it was King who came out of it looking less trustworthy. But as long as he's doing it for our benefit I'll forgive him.

I still like Warburton and Weir. Their first 6 months after the McCoist/ McDowell/ McCall clusterfuck era restored my pleasure in football.
Pretty much sums up my take on that period as well. I would say though that I'm indifferent towards W&W and I would absolve McCall from culpability. That buck stops with McCoist & McDowell.

Him, and the so called “ sir david of weir” can go and live their lives.
Safe in the knowledge that of, what they could have had, but don’t.

They were a short stone in the step. A blip, that makes you think about where your next steps land.

His two biggest outlays were on the wrong side of 30 and didn't fit the system he was determined to stick to.

Not so sure it would have been much different

Kranjcar at the centre of a 3 man midfield at the piggery. The guy never learned and never changed so I’m not sure what makes anyone feel he’d have managed to turn it around.

Still you’ve got to give him his due, he’s so charming he was able to do what he did, threaten the club with legal action and still have fans licking his arse.

Don't see the need to reduce it to good guy / bad guy stereotypes when like us all he had good points and bad points
Rangers was just a job to him. The next club on his cv. Pretty much the same as any professional no matter how much fans want to believe it's different.
Will be interested to see how he does at QPR. If he has them in a play off place at the end of the season then that's a huge success. Top half would be success.
But it's a massive if in a difficult league
Even if they were to win it though there would be plenty on here saying he is no good as a manager.

Most of the time I think Warburton gets a raw deal on here until I remember the Scottish cup final against Hibs. Angriest i’ve ever been after a game, for all sorts of reasons.
I hear you mate but I've been angrier after other matches.

That said, we gift wrapped the cup for those trainspotting miscreants. Some of the defending in that game was an absolute disgrace - a hallmark of Warburton's time in charge of us. Davie Weir's coaching, or lack of it, really coming to the fore; as was proved by their defensive record at the City Ground.

I think what people get frustrated at with Warburton is a complete and utter refusal to even contemplate that he may have done anything wrong.

“Budgets, evenly matched cup final, punching above, playing well, difficult expectations”
It’s all a sob story-look at the stuff with Forest even in that article, it’s all poor, misunderstood, mistreated me.

He’s a good salesman and orator. Every interview reads like a job interview where he’s bumming himself up and smoothing over any indiscretions.
Zero humility, zero responsibility taken.
That’s why he rubs so many up the wrong way.

He achieved what was expected by getting us promoted at first time of asking but was too limited a manager to take us any further .

I don’t have that much ill will towards him but I’m amazed he seems to keep getting cushy Jobs in the Championship.

Back