Warburton on verge of quitting QPR

Warburton for all his faults did have some decent ideas and some clear qualities. I'm not surprised he's bagged a job at the FA. Always thought a role like that would suit better than a manager on the frontline.

Reactions: WBD
This idea that a technical job would suit him has become a strange kind of myth that's attached itself to Warburton.

It also existed when he was at Rangers.

Can anyone care to tell me why a guy with a patchy signing record and limited experience in bringing them quality young players is best suited to this job?

His successful career in coaching prior to moving in to management.

Got nothing but respect for what Warburton did here. We played some nice stuff at times and he did infinitely more to raise the technical standards than McCoist, Pedro et al.
A lot of people (myself included) underestimated how tough the first season back in the top flight would be considering the state the club was in. He improved a lot in the background on the fitness, sports science and scouting side which laid the groundwork for where we are now.

Good luck to him. He's took QPR on a great run recently and probably left it to late to get into the playoffs. All the best if he does leave.

His successful career in coaching prior to moving in to management.

I think it’s based on the stuff he done before being a manager. He’d done a fair bit of work with youths and development iirc.

It seems to be based on his time at Watford with the youth team, stretching over three or four years.

I've no idea if this spell was considered successful or not but it doesn't seem like an entirely definitive period of time for people to suggest that's where his strengths ultimately lie and for the FA to give him a pretty important job.

Nothing in his post-Rangers career as been anything that could be defined as successful and the appointment reeks of the FA giving yet another under-qualified man a big gig, and in the same week that Aidy Boothroyd left his post.

It seems to be based on his time at Watford with the youth team, stretching over three or four years.

I've no idea if this spell was considered successful or not but it doesn't seem like an entirely definitive period of time for people to suggest that's where his strengths ultimately lie and for the FA to give him a pretty important job.

Nothing in his post-Rangers career as been anything that could be defined as successful and the appointment reeks of the FA giving yet another under-qualified man a big gig, and in the same week that Aidy Boothroyd left his post.

He also done very well at Brentford as the main man although it may just have been a good fit. His stock was high when we appointed him.

Reactions: TQ3
As has been said by others, this will probably suit him. I don't think he has the ruthless streak that's required to take him to the next level as a manager.

Good luck to the guy, he gave it his best shot for us and still holds us in the highest regard.
Despite snaking around behind our back to get the Forest gig then threatening to take us to court when he was caught out.

Unfortunately there will always be a whiff of sourness in the way it ended with Warburton.

A distinctly ordinary manager for whom a role such as this looks far more suited to his abilities.

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but hasn’t Warburton come out and stated that “there isn’t a grain of truth in this story” and that he’s fully committed to the task at hand? Mind you, given the doublespeak of the football world that could mean all manner of things.

He also done very well at Brentford as the main man although it may just have been a good fit. His stock was high when we appointed him.

Yes, he had really well at Brentford and it was a bit of a coup getting him in, but that was an indication of his managerial ability. I think this stuff about his potential technical success is mainly unfounded? Maybe he would succeed there, who knows.

Yes, he had really well at Brentford and it was a bit of a coup getting him in, but that was an indication of his managerial ability. I think this stuff about his potential technical success is mainly unfounded? Maybe he would succeed there, who knows.

Personally I think a job at the FA will be a perfect 'get out' for him. He was always very limited as he didn't have a back up plan and had so many issues defensively that he just never knew how to solve. This was going to hold him back at that level in England so instead of dropping down the way going to the FA will be more secure.

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but hasn’t Warburton come out and stated that “there isn’t a grain of truth in this story” and that he’s fully committed to the task at hand? Mind you, given the doublespeak of the football world that could mean all manner of things.
Yes he has but my QPR mate said that just means hes off by the end of the day

I went off him for a while there, but the way he spoke when we won the league made me soften to him again.
That led me to admit that some of the football we played under him, was the best I had seen us pass and move, simply a joy to watch, sadly once the opposition got the ball we looked weak, but those first 6 months were superb. He got found out and he didn’t see a way past it, no plan B. It has become a cliche, but it’s still the truth.
Best of luck to him, this reads as the perfect role for Mark. Talk football all day, but don’t get too near the pitch.

That’s the kind of job he’d be more suited to.

He dome a pretty good job with Brentford and doing a very good job and qpr both pretty big jobs
Can’t agree.

A big club and and big job are different things.

A big club is where there are expectations to win. Not just a trophy, but every game.

Warburton wilted under the pressure at our club for that exact reason. This showed when he openly admitted to shiting it when he saw the “going for 55” tifo in the opening day of the season.

The first round of League fixtures we played under him were really good and very entertaining.

Became a bit more of a slog once the other teams had sussed Plan A out.

Would develop a Plan A for fun up here. I like Warburton, just not as a manager. A role in Football that isn't management would be better for him.

Can’t agree.

A big club and and big job are different things.

A big club is where there are expectations to win. Not just a trophy, but every game.

Warburton wilted under the pressure at our club for that exact reason. This showed when he openly admitted to shiting it when he saw the “going for 55” tifo in the opening day of the season.
But again he was never given any backing I don’t think he spent a penny , then when even Pedro came in he was handed 10 m plus , I think given the proper backing he would have done well at the club and took us far further than what Pedro did

Will always remember Warbs fondly. I would never lose my love for Rangers but watching us was turgid under Coisty. He made me look forward to games again.

As said prob more suited to that role

Despite snaking around behind our back to get the Forest gig then threatening to take us to court when he was caught out.

Unfortunately there will always be a whiff of sourness in the way it ended with Warburton.

A distinctly ordinary manager for whom a role such as this looks far more suited to his abilities.
Yeah but apart from that he was sound, no animosity here.

Mad when you see how heavily criticised a lot of ex players are for fairly minor offences and yet people are queuing up to pat Waburton’s back in spite of the above. That’s before you even get to strange transfers, the best in the business etc.

It ended badly but I will always be grateful for the quantum leap in terms of quality of football from the season before that he achieved on a budget of not very much at all. We were a joy to watch, particulatly in the first half of the Championship season. He seems to be a smart guy. He must know that despite being a defender himself he just can't sort out a defence. Surely the obvious thing to do is bring in a coach who can to help him
Even a legend like our manager acknowledges that he brings in guys like Beale because there's bits he can't do as well as them. That is a major strength not a weakness.

But again he was never given any backing I don’t think he spent a penny , then when even Pedro came in he was handed 10 m plus , I think given the proper backing he would have done well at the club and took us far further than what Pedro did
You think Joe Garner, Rossiter, Senderos, Krancjar and Barton came cheap?

He squandered money and despite having small transfer fees the wages would have been huge.

The alarm bells would have been ringing with everything going through MacPartland and his agent daughter.

You think Joe Garner, Rossiter, Senderos, Krancjar and Barton came cheap?

He squandered money and despite having small transfer fees the wages would have been huge.

The alarm bells would have been ringing with everything going through MacPartland and his agent daughter.
Cheap in comparison to the like of aribo , Davis , roofe , even pena and Herrera , all managers after him have spent fortunes on fees and wages

I knew the game was up for Warburton when...

Press conference day before 1st OF league game

“Any worries about being intimidated by the atmosphere tomorrow Mark?”

“No, no, not at all. I managed at Brentford and when we played Fulham that’s a massive derby down there, we took 5k fans...”

Cheap in comparison to the like of aribo , Davis , roofe , even pena and Herrera , all managers after him have spent fortunes on fees and wages
Aribo, Davis and Roofe were brought in after successful European campaigns.

Warburton brought in a tonne of duds, Crooks, Dodoo, Hodson, Forrester, Keirnan, Anwick etc. His eye for a player was highly suspect and done nothing to suggest he should be trusted with cash.

His first task is to invite Rangers to join the EPL and inform the mhankies that the door is permanently closed to them due to their anti-English/British bigotry.

Aribo, Davis and Roofe were brought in after successful European campaigns.

Warburton brought in a tonne of duds, Crooks, Dodoo, Hodson, Forrester, Keirnan, Anwick etc. His eye for a player was highly suspect and done nothing to suggest he should be trusted with cash.
For the level we were playing , Waghorn , windass and let’s not forget tav we’re excellent signings

I will never have the dislike some have for the guy. Ultimately he was found wanting but he also wasn't backed to anywhere near the levels of Gerrard or Pedro. But he brought back something I'd lost when he took over especially first few months. Hope. Also enjoyment of going to watch a Rangers team instead of the energy sapping chore it had become since 2012.

The 4-0 Scottish Cup win v Dundee, the semi against the Scum, the Petrofac Final was a great day out too. He gave us some good times and he gave us Tav.

Back