Warburton's Last Selection for Rangers

Just watching the game v Leeds and was wondering what his last eleven was like for us

Wes
Tav
Senderos
Hill
Wallace
Holt
Hyndman
Torral
Miller
Garner
McKay

I think only Tav can really say he got better although Clint Hill, Senderos and Kenny Miller were coming to the end .
Senderos is probably one of our worst signings going. Horrible signing and terrible debut.

Really liked Holt, thought he was a shrewd bit of business.

Can't say any of the rest of them have improved since moving on.

I was so confident of that team bringing home the league as well. Our current squad combined with SG in charge would easily ship 5-6 past that team :oops:

That was the Wednesday before. Took off Hyndman off when he was our best player and said that we "had a responsibilty to Bournemouth and protect their asset"

Drew 1-1 with Ross County on the Saturday and we were booed off the park. The following Friday Warburton was gone.

To this day I have no idea how we paid £1.8m for Joe Garner. He was everything Warburton didn't want in a footballer. The dud couldn't even strike a ball cleanly.
We needed a "plan b" and in the classic fashion of a manager who doesn't know how to shuffle up his tactics panic bought the best target man striker down south he could get his hands on. In fairness for his height Garner was brilliant in the air c*nt could headbutt a giraffe, just a shame he was good at %^*& all else for us

What had happened to Kiernan by then? Was he injured or had Warburton just realised he'd been playing an absolute diddy?

Just watching the game v Leeds and was wondering what his last eleven was like for us

Wes
Tav
Senderos
Hill
Wallace
Holt
Hyndman
Torral
Miller
Garner
McKay

I think only Tav can really say he got better although Clint Hill, Senderos and Kenny Miller were coming to the end .
source.gif

It does give you the fear looking at that first 11.

I was actually looking through our Wikipedia season pages the other day, and the less said the better about something the memories that came back in the few years preceding this team...

The difference in quality in every position (except Tav obviously) since Gerrard came in is staggering.

The Garner signing was just bizarre. It still annoys me. Genuinely one of the worst players I've seen for us, in that all he ever wanted to do was rough up defenders.

I liked Warburton, I still respect what he was trying to do with us and the initial impact he had, but it's hard to believe how much better a place we're in now.

It’s staggering to think of all the “players” who have appeared for Rangers in the last decade who should never have been near the club.

Wes
Tav
Senderos
Hill
Wallace
Holt
Hyndman
Torral
Miller
Garner
McKay

frightening looking at that lineup.

The Garner signing was just bizarre. It still annoys me. Genuinely one of the worst players I've seen for us, in that all he ever wanted to do was rough up defenders.

I liked Warburton, I still respect what he was trying to do with us and the initial impact he had, but it's hard to believe how much better a place we're in now.

that song was horrific. I cringed every time it was sung.

Warburton's time was torpedoed from the moment he brought in Frank Mcparland. If you'd given Warburton an extra three years/lure of European football for players/ the extra budget we now have plus the current scouting network he would of put out better than that so it's maybe not a fair like for like comparison between what's Gerrard been able to buy now and what Warbuton managed to put out.

Son took me to hospitality for that game.
Team were so poor we hammered the booze big time and got refused to be served in the district after the game.

Was there not some, ahem, suspect details around that transfer?

Wes
Tav
Senderos
Hill
Wallace
Holt
Hyndman
Torral
Miller
Garner
McKay

That’s terrifying to read. Imagine we still had this level of player, and manager.

Joe Garner sums up everything wrong with the Warburton era.
The garner signing was bizarre. He would do a job for a team who had a direct style of play or liked to ping in crosses as he was decent in the air. warburtons style was all tippy tappy though and garner was never going to work.

He did very well in the Championship and had us playing our best football in years too, worlds away from where we were before he came in, and for a spend of only £500k or so too I believe. Probably similar to what Dundee Utd spent on Lawrence Shankland's signing on fee.

His signings were also largely profitable. It was mismanagement on our part that we sold the likes of Martyn Waghorn so cheaply.

He tried to do too much in one window when we got to the top tier, with no real scouting system in place, when he should've just tried to build upon his foundations and get us a decent centre back, defensive mid, attacking mid and right winger instead of a whole new team.

His departure leaves a sour taste but he cost us nowhere near what the likes of Pedro cost us and I'd far rather have held on to him and given him the £5m Pedro wasted on Hererra and Pena before getting Stevie G in.

Can't believe we paid good money for Joey Garner. Guy would shout at centre halfs as he ran towards them. Embarrassing

The day joey garner was paraded around Ibrox was one my lowest moments as a bear

a bang average player being shown as if he was Messi

That was the Wednesday before. Took off Hyndman off when he was our best player and said that we "had a responsibilty to Bournemouth and protect their asset"

Drew 1-1 with Ross County on the Saturday and we were booed off the park. The following Friday Warburton was gone.

To this day I have no idea how we paid £1.8m for Joe Garner. He was everything Warburton didn't want in a footballer. The dud couldn't even strike a ball cleanly.
We got Garner because he was with the right agency .... McParland and his shady dealings. Allegedly.

After McCoist and McCall Warburton was a breath of fresh air for us.

Ended on a sour note but I won’t forget how excited I was to go and watch us play in his early days. Genuinely going to each game thinking you’ll be scoring 4 or 5.

Wes
Tav
Senderos
Hill
Wallace
Holt
Hyndman
Torral
Miller
Garner
McKay

It's easy to ridicule this team but the truth is that the road back to being the best team in the country is progressive and accumulative; every Rangers team since 2012 is better than the last one.

You only need to look at, let's say, the semi-final against Aberdeen last year - Flanagan at left back, Worrall in the middle, Ejaria on one wing, Coulibaly in the middle and Sadiq up front - to realise the folly of taking the piss out of what was, at the time, regarded as a upgrade from the year before.

I notice that the posters mocking this team have conveniently left out some of the duds from this year and accelerated straight to the 2019/2020 season.

Our midfield when we got horsed the first time at the piggery consisted of Barton Windass and Kranjcar. Remember thinking we are really going to give it a go here

I thought Senderos only played in the 1-5 game.

That can’t be too dissimilar though to the team that drew 1-1 at the piggery a few weeks later.

Quite a few on here at the time were saying that that team was nowhere near good enough to win the league. However, those voices were drowned out by the sound of hope.

There is only one name on that team-sheet that deserves to still be here, and that’s Tav.

Back